Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tool discussion thread [inc "10,000 Days" reviews]

Old 05-03-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 5point7
I love the packaging. However, why is there a warning.... what HARM could possibly come from the glasses that cause them to put a warning? Just curious if anyone knows.
What does the warning say, mine didn't come with one.
Old 05-03-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
It's in the booklet, on the back of one of the pages. I don't have it in front of me, but the few booklets I've seen, all have the warning.
Old 05-03-06, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 5point7
I got my copy yesterday from a MOM n Pop store. The CD sounds a TON better than the version that leaked. I love the album.

I love the packaging. However, why is there a warning.... what HARM could possibly come from the glasses that cause them to put a warning? Just curious if anyone knows.

I downloaded a leaked copy that was encoded with apple lossless. It sounded identical in sound quality to the lossless files I created from the cd.
Old 05-03-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

not as good

after a first listen, i have to say it's not quite up to par with any of their previous releases.

while it's unmistakably tool, it seems way more scattered than lateralus, and full of bland, chugging metal guitar treks.

maybe they're going for the "heavier" approach intentionally, but one of the reasons i've always liked tool (not a metal fan) is because of their progressive/arty tendencies. in a catalogue full of near-perfect albums, this one seems to be their first miss, unfortunately.

i'd say 3.5/5
Old 05-03-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Corvin
I consider myself a Tool fan, and I'm undecided on the album for now. I definitely think that Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are great, but I have always like Tool's more progressive stuff.

Out of curiousity, which past album is your favorite?
I really like those 2 songs as well, but the rest of the album puts me to sleep. I'll rank the albums:
1. Aenima
2. Undertow
3. Lateralus
4. 10000 days
Old 05-03-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I really like those 2 songs as well, but the rest of the album puts me to sleep.
I sort-of agree with you. I think the first songs are great, but the album (for me) really loses steam in its second half.
Old 05-03-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Listen to Right in Two a bit more,song 10,cant stop listening to this track it's freakin great,problem with Tool is it takes me about 30-50 listens to really feel the album so I wont pass judgement untill after a month or 2,I thought Lateralus was nothing special untill I heard the album alot more and seen them live and it became my fav.album in the last 6 year's,im not saying 10,000 is there best work but its damm good work imo.
Old 05-03-06, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
"THE STEREOSCOPIC LENSES ARE BEING PROVIDED AS PART OF THE PACKAGING TO ENHANCE YOUR ARTWORK EXPERIENCE OF THE 10,000 DAYS PACKAGE. PLEASE USE THEM SAFELY. USE OF THE LENSES FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND SHALL NOT RESULT IN ANY LIABILITY TO VOLCANO, SONY BMG OR TOOL."

Which is interesting, because while I had no idea what to do with the lenses until I read the disclaimer, I also never considered committing evil with them until I read the disclaimer.
Old 05-03-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDHO
Listen to Right in Two a bit more,song 10,cant stop listening to this track it's freakin great
Is that the one about monkeys killing monkeys? This is one of my problems with the last 2 albums. A lot of the lyrics come off as rather dumb. I'm sure if you listen to all the lyrics in the song, it has some kind of deeper meaning. But it just puts me off enough so that I don't WANT to listen to the rest of the song.
Old 05-03-06, 12:15 PM

FYI, at Coachella, Tool:

Played: The Pot, Jambi, Vicarious (in that order, mixed with/between old songs)
MJK wore Jeans and nothing else but a cowboy hat (like the promo pics). When the hat was removed, he had a short mohawk.
Had two large video screens on the left and right (like past recent tours), but also had 4 smaller video screens all side by side behind the band (as opposed to a single screen behind MJK).

The performance was awesome, btw.
Old 05-03-06, 01:50 PM

Old 05-03-06, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Is that the one about monkeys killing monkeys? This is one of my problems with the last 2 albums. A lot of the lyrics come off as rather dumb. I'm sure if you listen to all the lyrics in the song, it has some kind of deeper meaning. But it just puts me off enough so that I don't WANT to listen to the rest of the song.
We may just have to agree to disagree, because I'm not sure how these lyrics come off as rather dumb:

monkey killing monkey killing monkey
over pieces of the ground
silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club
and beat their brother down
how they survive so misguided is a mystery
repugnant, dismal creature who would squander
the ability to live, to die, and have a conscience
Old 05-03-06, 02:21 PM

so... what is the essential 'Tool' album - what do you guys recommend as the first album of theirs to buy/listen to? I saw them at Lollapalooza a few years back and was impressed.
Old 05-03-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jack's Smirking
We may just have to agree to disagree, because I'm not sure how these lyrics come off as rather dumb:
Yeah, it's dumb, because when I think back on that song, all I remember is
Monkey killing monkey killing monkey killing

For me, it's as bad as these other tool gems:

Black and White are all I see, in my infancy...
Watch the weather channel (or was it weather change? I don't remember)

and who can forget

I know the pieces fit
I know the pieces fit
I KNOW THE PIECES FIT
ad nauseum....

I'm no Tool hater, in fact I just bought 10000 days and another copy of Aenima over lunch. I've just noticed the past 2 albums have a lot of lyrics that annoy me enough to sour the tool album listening experience.

And Giles, start with Undertow.
Old 05-03-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
so... what is the essential 'Tool' album - what do you guys recommend as the first album of theirs to buy/listen to? I saw them at Lollapalooza a few years back and was impressed.
I prefer Lateralus, but the general consensus seems to be Aenima
Old 05-03-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I would have to choose Aenima.
Old 05-03-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I would have to choose Aenima.

i would suggest the same.

but when rating tool albums (including Opiate), both Undertow and Aenima get my number one spot.

1. Aenima/Undertow
2. Lateralus
3. Opiate
4. 10,000 Days
Old 05-03-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be the black sheep.

1) Lateralus
2 & 3) 10,000 Days/Aenima (I can't decide just yet...)

And in a distant fourth:

4) Undertow
Old 05-03-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aenima is the best Tool album without a doubt. Probably one of the few cds I've come close to wearing out.

That rhymed! I'm planning on picking up the new one this weekend probably. Not really too excited from what I've heard of it, but it does look cool at least.
Old 05-03-06, 04:08 PM

My rank:

1) Aenima
2) 10,000 Days
3) Lateralus
4) Undertow
5) Opiate
Old 05-03-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Damn that sucks. Well I'll prob-ly won't be able to exchange it 'till the weekend. Keep me/us updated, "ASTROCHIMP" [if U do infact exchange it].
Ok it works in the cd player in my car so the only thing that wont play it is my dvd player.Probably no point in exchanging it since i doubt it'll make a difference but im still thinking about it.
Old 05-03-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As of now I would say..

Aenima
Later/10,000 days(as of now)
UnderTow
Old 05-03-06, 05:01 PM

1) AEnima
2) Salival
3) 10,000 Days
4) Undertow
5) Lateralus
6) Opiate
Old 05-03-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1)Opiate
2)Aenima
3)Undertow
4)10,000 Days
5)Lateralus
6)Salival (if that even counts)
Old 05-03-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me, the 1st time I heard 10000 days I didnt really like it. But with each time I listen to the album I like it more and more. This is not an album that you can just listen to a song here and there though. If you really want to get the full experience just sit and listen to it from begining to end. It is a much much greater experience. As far as all the songs go. There are a fre good ones like Wings pt.2 , the pot and Rosetta stoned that I like but if you listen to the whole album at once it probably flows better than any of the older ones. This is probably one of my favorite Tool albums now.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.