Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ant-Man 3?
0%
7.27%
18.18%
29.09%
20.00%
3.64%
7.27%
0%
3.64%
3.64%
0%
No interest. Don't care
1.82%
Will wait until Disney Plus
5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Did they fix MODOK/Corey Stoll's face even more for this release? It seemed to look much better than I remember.
I saw the movie twice in theaters and MODOK worked so much better the second time around (and I had no real issues the first time). I was just ready for it or something.
Old 05-18-23, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 330 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TheBang
  • How did Cassie get them back to the real world at the end? The portal that they initially went through was generated by Kang's power core, and is not the normal way to get out of the Quantum Realm. So, how then, from the real world, did Cassie open a similar portal to bring Scott and Hope back?
Now that it's on Disney+, I rewatched parts of this again, and this ending is so bad. It defies all logic set up in the film. I did some more searching to see if there were any explanations about it in the interim since I last saw it, and there are none. It's just absolutely nonsensical.
Old 05-20-23, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,299 Likes on 796 Posts

This movie is poo. Not quite as bad as the last Thor or BP: Wakanda Forever but close.

I am so glad I waited on the streaming to open up. Nothing worse than walking out of a theater angry as I did with Thor:T&L. BP:WF was perfect for streaming because you could fast forward through all the boring parts...which was the majority of the movie.

This movie had nice visuals. But the story, characters, humor, dialogue, music...just everything is stilted. It retained zero of the charm of the prior two Ant-Man pictures.

And how many annoying "genius" teenage offspring are we going to have to endure, Marvel???
Old 05-21-23, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 267 Likes on 183 Posts

Skip this and watch Honey I Shrunk The Kids instead. It's a better movie than this. I don't fit the demographic for these Marvel movies anymore. There's been a shift in the tone away from adult entertainment to family entertainment. I see no difference between the recent Marvel movies and animated features. This was like a live action version of The Incredibles. Same target audience.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (05-21-23)
Old 05-21-23, 02:19 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
This was like a live action version of The Incredibles. Same target audience.

That’d be perfectly fine and welcome only this was nowhere as well-written as The Incredbles.
The following 2 users liked this post by CristonCole:
B5Erik (05-24-23), Runaway (05-21-23)
Old 05-21-23, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Finally caught this on Disney+. Garbage.
Old 05-21-23, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

I finally got around to watching this. It was better than I expected and it retained the goofy humour of the first two. That said, Janet was a total ass for not simply telling them why she didn't want them messing with the quantum realm. Although, given she had no such qualms during the post credits scene of the second film (where they were retrieving quantum particles to help Ghost, just before they got blipped), I'm going to assume the cast of this film were all variants. Also, surprised Luis and his buddies didn't cameo during either of the bookend sequences.
Old 05-22-23, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

I watched this several times now.

Kang's bigger timeline/multiverse story is really what makes me look past the flaws. Same for Loki. When there's something big hanging around in the background, it makes the less satisfying story much better.

And yes, the Lindelof-like information withholding was frustrating. I think typical viewers are sophisticated enough to see that trope. They could have easily gotten to the same plot without that part.
Old 05-22-23, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 70 Posts

Loved it, the best Ant-Man movie and in the top 10 Marvel movies overall. I thought Marvel might be slowing down but this really kicked into gear the Kang saga.
Old 05-23-23, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
100% they are. There's absolutely no reason that blockbusters, even (perhaps especially) those aimed primarily at children, should not address issues like abuse of power, racism, cost of war, et cetera in a realistic manner. Marvel billed itself as "the world outside your door" and their best-regarded films DO indeed touch on these things. Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Infinity War, Civil War all start to tackle these subjects and then stop short to avoid complicated questions.
Fair enough. But like you said they have touched on those things. You really expect them to solve those issues in this format? I don't really know what you're expecting out of a big summer blockbuster family movie. Do you expect other franchises to tackle those same themes. Should the fast series tackle subjects like that?

And I still stand by the fact that they are indeed experimenting with their storytelling. Maybe not every entry but the MCU as a whole is quite experimental and varied especially if you're comparing them to other similar franchises.
Old 05-23-23, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
This movie is poo. Not quite as bad as the last Thor or BP: Wakanda Forever but close.

I am so glad I waited on the streaming to open up. Nothing worse than walking out of a theater angry as I did with Thor:T&L. BP:WF was perfect for streaming because you could fast forward through all the boring parts...
You totally lost me right there.
Old 05-23-23, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX

Majors was great as Kang and his scenes with Pfeiffer were the best parts of the movie.
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

Kang's bigger timeline/multiverse story is really what makes me look past the flaws.
Now every time I see something like this I just cringe. It's absolutely true but boy did Disney hook their phase 6 (??? WTF phase are we on now?) wagon up to the wrong horse.
Old 05-23-23, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
You totally lost me right there.
Well, obviously some people enjoy these movies. BP:WF was 75% talking and 25% dull fighting scenes. And there was 2 hours and 45 minutes of that!

I found it to be unwatchable but to each their own.
Old 05-23-23, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

Fair enough. But like you said they have touched on those things. You really expect them to solve those issues in this format? I don't really know what you're expecting out of a big summer blockbuster family movie. Do you expect other franchises to tackle those same themes. Should the fast series tackle subjects like that?

And I still stand by the fact that they are indeed experimenting with their storytelling. Maybe not every entry but the MCU as a whole is quite experimental and varied especially if you're comparing them to other similar franchises.
100% they can all deal with topics like that. Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and The Dark Knight deal with use and misuse of power. Spider-Man 2 deals with anxiety and obligations effecting what you want to pursue in life. Thor: Ragnarok deals with colonialism. The Dark Knight Rises deals with depression. Turning Red is about second generation cultural conflict. The Fast franchise might be a little late to handle topics like DEI, but would have been a great fit for it.

They definitely don't have to solve anything (because how could they?), but integrating it a bit more thematically (like the above-mentioned films) would be nice. Take The Meg: You can weave in some ecological stuff there. Godzilla: King of the Monsters did (even though... the Greeny was the villain? Or something? I don't recall). Or Skyscraper can deal with class and gentrification (actually also a great topic for the LA-set Fast series, now that I think abut it).

I'm fully aware that "The Rock should fight gentrification in his $150M action movie" sounds VERY stupid on paper. But you can write it in such a way that's very organic, woven into the story, and adds to the film. These blockbusters have increasingly felt identityless, where it's just globs of CGI doing nothing. Shit, I'd laud the MCU for just doing a strict practical effects movie. Which, why weren't Black Widow and Shang Chi?
Old 05-23-23, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, obviously some people enjoy these movies. BP:WF was 75% talking and 25% dull fighting scenes. And there was 2 hours and 45 minutes of that!

I found it to be unwatchable but to each their own.
Fair enough but I think you lose some credibility to be able to critique a movie if you FFWD through large chunks of it.
The following 3 users liked this post by tanman:
DWilson (05-24-23), IBJoel (05-24-23), Spiderbite (05-24-23)
Old 05-23-23, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
100% they can all deal with topics like that. Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and The Dark Knight deal with use and misuse of power. Spider-Man 2 deals with anxiety and obligations effecting what you want to pursue in life. Thor: Ragnarok deals with colonialism. The Dark Knight Rises deals with depression. Turning Red is about second generation cultural conflict. The Fast franchise might be a little late to handle topics like DEI, but would have been a great fit for it.

They definitely don't have to solve anything (because how could they?), but integrating it a bit more thematically (like the above-mentioned films) would be nice. Take The Meg: You can weave in some ecological stuff there. Godzilla: King of the Monsters did (even though... the Greeny was the villain? Or something? I don't recall). Or Skyscraper can deal with class and gentrification (actually also a great topic for the LA-set Fast series, now that I think abut it).

I'm fully aware that "The Rock should fight gentrification in his $150M action movie" sounds VERY stupid on paper. But you can write it in such a way that's very organic, woven into the story, and adds to the film. These blockbusters have increasingly felt identityless, where it's just globs of CGI doing nothing. Shit, I'd laud the MCU for just doing a strict practical effects movie. Which, why weren't Black Widow and Shang Chi?
Ok so the criticism is more against recent MCU outings if you're citing past MCU entries as examples. Yeah I definitely agree with that. But I think the MCU as a whole has done a great job in providing a lot of variety. And I think you're not taking in to account the Disney+ shows because Werewolf by Night was largely practical effects and definitely had a real identity. Falcon and the Winter Soldier dealt with a lot of social injustices, although IMO it was terribly done and very heavy handed. I think the fault is more on the recent movies. I agree they all feel more generic and more plot driven rather then character driven. Which is why, by comparison, I loved GotG3 since it was all about character.

Yeah and I agree I wish Black Widow was more practical effects and more akin to Winter Soldier in plot. The first part of Shang Chi, although not entirely practical effects, was great and had a lot of classic martial arts action. But the ending devolved into another CGI battle.
Old 05-24-23, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough but I think you lose some credibility to be able to critique a movie if you FFWD through large chunks of it.
That is a fair point.

But when one is an hour and a half into a 3 hour movie and it is the exact same repetitive dull nonsense sequence after sequence...well there is only so much a bored brain can take. After suffering through The Eternals, Black Widow and Thor: Love And Thunder at the theaters, a fast forward button felt like a blessing for BP:WF.

I will say I didn't end up fast forwarding as much in Quantumanina...just some in the last 20 minutes. Just too mind-numbing.

I used to suffer through any movie I started no matter how bad. Got over that several years ago. There is no worse feeling than just sitting there feeling like you are just wasting your time with a film or series. Too much better content out there to do that nowadays...and too much limited time on top of that.

I did go through and try to hit any high points the rest of the time but found none each time I stopped.
tanman (05-24-23)
Old 06-19-23, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts

Finally saw this on Disney+

I enjoyed it. I usually hate excessive CGI, and this movie was practically all CGI, but I think the story kept my interest.

Or maybe because the previous Marvel movie I watched was Thor Love and Thunder, and I hated it. So Quantumania was a breath of fresh air compared to it, for me at least.
Old 08-20-23, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. They should have just titled it Green Screen: The Motion Picture. Jesus. It was just CGI bukkake.

I appreciate that it was a stand-alone movie made in a way where you weren’t wondering why they didn’t just call the rest of the Avengers.

Paul Rudd is always enjoyable and I’d watch Michael Douglas read the phone book so it was enjoyable on some levels but man, this latest phase is relying WAY too much on computer effects to propel the story.
Old 08-20-23, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

That ending was just garbage though. I’m really curious what the original plan was because making it trivial to retrieve the duo just took all the stakes out of it.
Old 08-21-23, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That ending was just garbage though. I’m really curious what the original plan was because making it trivial to retrieve the duo just took all the stakes out of it.
I think it was discussed earlier in this thread, but the leaked script had Kang surviving and escaping, and Hope and Scott being stranded in the Quantum Realm. The reshoots to change the ending happened in January, a little more than a month before its release.
Old 08-21-23, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Finally got around to watching this. They should have just titled it Green Screen: The Motion Picture. Jesus. It was just CGI bukkake.

I appreciate that it was a stand-alone movie made in a way where you weren’t wondering why they didn’t just call the rest of the Avengers.

Paul Rudd is always enjoyable and I’d watch Michael Douglas read the phone book so it was enjoyable on some levels but man, this latest phase is relying WAY too much on computer effects to propel the story.
Yeah the finally made a movie out of the Star Wars bar scene.

This one was a snoozer for sure. The daughter was terrible as well and the ending was bad. Not much has been good following Endgame that is for sure. I don't recall really thinking any were standouts.
Old 08-21-23, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 190 Posts

The visuals felt like Spy Kids to me.

Last edited by GuessWho; 08-21-23 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-21-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

I used to suffer through any movie I started no matter how bad. Got over that several years ago. There is no worse feeling than just sitting there feeling like you are just wasting your time with a film or series. Too much better content out there to do that nowadays...and too much limited time on top of that.
Do you remember the movie you first fast forwarded through?
Spiderbite (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Just caught up with this one last night myself. As I'm sure others have noted, it's missing a lot of the things that made the first two films so fun and enjoyable. If they had spent a 1/3rd of the film (the middle act) in the Quantum Realm, still keeping the majority of things happening in the real world...that would've been much better imo.

Modok- yes it's a goofy movie but this still just doesn't work in any way. Would've much rather had Corey Stoll / Yellowjacket.

The biggest issue I ultimately had with the film (and in fact half of the movies post Endgame) is that there's no reason for it to exist - not every character needs three films.(and certainly not four in Thor's case) It's basically just giving us more info about the character of Kang, without moving that forward in any real way. The Loki seasons can give us enough on Kang's backstory imo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.