Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Ant-Man 3?
0%
7.27%
18.18%
29.09%
20.00%
3.64%
7.27%
0%
3.64%
3.64%
0%
No interest. Don't care
1.82%
Will wait until Disney Plus
5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Old 04-20-23, 05:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

More abuse allegations. It’s too bad when good stars go wrong. Majors
Old 04-20-23, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,932 Likes on 4,048 Posts
Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023, D: Reed) -- S: Rudd, Majors -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Yes, that topic covered at length in the appropriate thread
Old 04-20-23, 05:32 PM

K. Can’t hurt one more time. At least it won’t be buried.
Old 04-20-23, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 588 Likes on 453 Posts

Seriously, why isn't Luis in this movie? I mean, I know the reason the director gave, but they seriously couldn't figures way to work him in?

The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (04-20-23)
Old 04-21-23, 12:06 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Seriously, why isn't Luis in this movie? I mean, I know the reason the director gave, but they seriously couldn't figures way to work him in?

He was no longer funny in the second film. You’ll have to leave this page and Google anything he said there even remotely as amusing as his most quotable lines. The character was just done.
Old 04-24-23, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,005 Likes on 798 Posts

I give the movie credit for swinging for the fences with its ideas for the Quantum realm, and I liked Pfeiffer more or less being the lead this time around. That said, it is a bit of a sloppy movie, Kang is interesting but while he is a huge threat is portrayed in kind of a silly manner here - the during credits sequence was just bad.

It also felt nothing like Ant-man 1 or 2 and the visual effects, while creative in spots, didn't integrate all that well with the live action elements.

Luis would have been a good addition, Darren was a weak substitute. Overall though, I wasn't bored by it - but it doesn't really compel me to see more in this universe. I give it a 3 out of 5.

Old 04-25-23, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 588 Likes on 453 Posts

Old 04-25-23, 08:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 396 Likes on 246 Posts

Kanger Issues, LOL
Old 04-25-23, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 355 Likes on 258 Posts

I skipped it in theaters. Gave in and bought it. Didn't feel like waiting another month or whatever for Disney+.

Like Thor 3, I loved this. The MCU is disappointing a lot of people. But I can't join in with that. Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Black Panther were B/C rating movies. Eternals, Spiderman, Dr Strange, Thor, and this all hold up to the pre-Endgame films.

For previous Phases, you had Thor 2 and Captain Marvel as sorta duds. Iron Man 3 got a lot of hate but loved that it's basically a Shane Black movie. Everything else was pretty top notch in terms of the material (if the MCU is your thing, it's thoroughly satisfying).
Old 04-27-23, 11:04 AM

Received 4,451 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Disney+ May 17

Old 04-27-23, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,585 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I skipped it in theaters. Gave in and bought it. Didn't feel like waiting another month or whatever for Disney+.

Like Thor 3, I loved this. The MCU is disappointing a lot of people. But I can't join in with that. Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Black Panther were B/C rating movies. Eternals, Spiderman, Dr Strange, Thor, and this all hold up to the pre-Endgame films.

For previous Phases, you had Thor 2 and Captain Marvel as sorta duds. Iron Man 3 got a lot of hate but loved that it's basically a Shane Black movie. Everything else was pretty top notch in terms of the material (if the MCU is your thing, it's thoroughly satisfying).
I agree with this all 100%. Though I loved Black Widow too(as she's my favorite Marvel character). I'm also a big fan of Iron Man 3. It's way funnier than it has a right to be (as you noted, because of Shane Black).
Old 04-27-23, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,810 Posts

When Janet was being evasive and withholding information from everyone I really wanted Hope to say "What is this? Am I back on Lost?"
tanman (04-28-23)
Old 04-27-23, 07:11 PM

Having virtually everyone including Baskin Robbins manager in the opening and not one mention of the 3 of Scott’s friends, especially Michael Peña, who’s good in virtually everything he’s in, was stupid.

And, those gelatin controls Hank was using was beyond preposterous.
Old 04-28-23, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Received 1,051 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Having virtually everyone including Baskin Robbins manager in the opening and not one mention of the 3 of Scott’s friends, especially Michael Peña, who’s good in virtually everything he’s in, was stupid.

And, those gelatin controls Hank was using was beyond preposterous.
Why? Your vestibular sense works based on fluid movement, so it seems not-so-farfetched that you could design an avionics system with similar attributes.
Old 04-28-23, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts

Quantumania is the first MCU, expect No Way Home, I liked in a long time, but it still wasn't great. I wouldn't say they got lazy, I think they are way to cautious, even cowardly. On the movie side they just play it safe and don't evolve a little bit.
The tv shows are further developed. Not everything worked (for me), but besides Falcon and the Winter Soldier none of the shows were by the numbers.
IBJoel (04-28-23)
Old 04-28-23, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Runaway
Quantumania is the first MCU, expect No Way Home, I liked in a long time, but it still wasn't great. I wouldn't say they got lazy, I think they are way to cautious, even cowardly. On the movie side they just play it safe and don't evolve a little bit.
The tv shows are further developed. Not everything worked (for me), but besides Falcon and the Winter Soldier none of the shows were by the numbers.
The greatest enemy in the MCU is brand management. Feige/Disney are deathly afraid of being subversive, saying anything of importance about real world issues, or even experimenting with how they're telling their stories.
Old 04-28-23, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I mean you just have to look at the reactions to the various tv shows to see why they do it this way. Or heck look at the reaction to something like the new Marvels trailer.
Old 04-29-23, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
The greatest enemy in the MCU is brand management. Feige/Disney are deathly afraid of being subversive, saying anything of importance about real world issues, or even experimenting with how they're telling their stories.
Is it though? Are MCU movies really the stage to bring up real world issues? I think those that say they aren't experimenting with telling their stories have selective memory. Wandavision was very experimental and an incredibly unique way to tell a personal story. So was Loki. Werewolf by Night was another very experimental risk at telling a very different Marvel movie. SheHulk was quite different as well. There's also Moonknight and Ms. Marvel. Granted, like someone already mentioned, I think their TV shows have taken over as creative forces while the movies have largely kind of stalled in terms of creativity. But I think that's more of a product of being in the 2nd and 3rd movie of an individual character and the 5th or more appearance of the character.

IMO I think the reason the MCU is faltering a bit is because they've taken the focus of the storytelling off of the characters and on to the plot. It's long been a criticism of the MCU that each movie is just an advertisement for the next movie and I always defended the MCU because the plot was always secondary. They told a good story about great characters and their journey first and then added a few scenes and details here and there to sprinkle in a sense of a connected universe. Now I feel like the priorities have changed. It feels like the bigger movie are more focused on the plot and advancing the overall MCU story vs. telling a character story. Take Wakanda Forever, I think the movie really shined when they were dealing with the death of Tchalla and how those closest to him were dealing with it. It was a relatable story clothed in superhero coverings. It faltered when it was mainly worried about setting up the next character or plot device for the further MCU. Like any of JLD scenes or Iron Heart. To me these characters are not earning their place in the MCU. We don't know anything about them. We certainly don't feel anything for them. To use a really cliched and generic term the MCU has largely lost it's heart. At least where the big movies are concerned.
Old 04-29-23, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean you just have to look at the reactions to the various tv shows to see why they do it this way. Or heck look at the reaction to something like the new Marvels trailer.
WandaVision and Loki were received well and so was Ms. Marvel despite some incels hate it. I just watched the first episode and it wasn't for me, but I appreciated the effort. She-Hulk was terrible, because it was supposed to be a comedy and was the only MCU project that isn't funny.
And it's not like the last movies have been received well either. Have some stakes for the characters, make it a little bit darker in tone, but stop doing movies written by chatgtp
Old 05-01-23, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tanman
Is it though? Are MCU movies really the stage to bring up real world issues? I think those that say they aren't experimenting with telling their stories have selective memory. Wandavision was very experimental and an incredibly unique way to tell a personal story. So was Loki. Werewolf by Night was another very experimental risk at telling a very different Marvel movie. SheHulk was quite different as well. There's also Moonknight and Ms. Marvel. Granted, like someone already mentioned, I think their TV shows have taken over as creative forces while the movies have largely kind of stalled in terms of creativity. But I think that's more of a product of being in the 2nd and 3rd movie of an individual character and the 5th or more appearance of the character.
100% they are. There's absolutely no reason that blockbusters, even (perhaps especially) those aimed primarily at children, should not address issues like abuse of power, racism, cost of war, et cetera in a realistic manner. Marvel billed itself as "the world outside your door" and their best-regarded films DO indeed touch on these things. Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Infinity War, Civil War all start to tackle these subjects and then stop short to avoid complicated questions.
Old 05-17-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,499 Posts

This is now up on Disney +

Old 05-17-23, 04:04 PM

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts

Recently watched this. The first two Ant-Man movies are among my favorite and I'm an overall huge MCU fan. These felt...bleh...mostly because over the last two hours I couldn't help but imagining the handful of "real" characters sitting around in front of a green screen. The environments felt more "fake" than "fantastical."
Old 05-17-23, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts

Glad I watched it on D+. Looked good in Dolby Vision. Not my favorite MCU movie.
Old 05-18-23, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 507 Posts

Did they fix MODOK/Corey Stoll's face even more for this release? It seemed to look much better than I remember.
Old 05-18-23, 10:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 234 Likes on 177 Posts

I watched it last night with low expectations, Ant-Man and the Wasp is my least favorite movie in the MCU, and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Majors was great as Kang and his scenes with Pfeiffer were the best parts of the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.