Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

Originally Posted by rocket1312
On its surface this appears to be more nickel and diming of the customer (I love the corporate spin that makes it sound like this is actually them serving the customer better), but the more I think about it, the more this just seems like a way to drive stubs/a-list subscriptions.
I don't know how much this is going to drive a-list (does stubs get around this too?). If you're seeing enough movies for a-list to make sense, then I think you're already on it, not sure how much this moves the needle otherwise. It is a way to make the value of a-list seem higher for a price hike, though.
Old 02-07-23, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,129 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't know how much this is going to drive a-list (does stubs get around this too?). If you're seeing enough movies for a-list to make sense, then I think you're already on it, not sure how much this moves the needle otherwise. It is a way to make the value of a-list seem higher for a price hike, though.
You need Stubs to get the discounted seats. And like you say, this increases the value of a-list. Could encourage someone on the fence to take the plunge.
Old 02-07-23, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 368 Likes on 277 Posts

If that goes as well as upcharges for 3D, they’ll just take the good seats out eventually.

Is it any wonder why I’ve given up on theaters?
Old 02-07-23, 11:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The new AMC seating policy start in NY,CHICAGO, KAN CITY & NATIONAL END OF '23

This has to be one of the most idiotic decision's- Theatres bitched about Streaming taking over there revenue, and come up with this? I think this won't last as there will be public backlash.

https://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/...ZKIo-RaCXFhztY

Last edited by brtcmfn; 02-07-23 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-07-23, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

No upcharge or discount for seats here. Yet. There is a $4 surcharge for that shitty 3d though. Almost $20 bucks for that crap.
Old 02-07-23, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

Ha, I was just thinking the one quality of life thing I'd like them to add is an intermission for long movies. Well, that and to make their concession stands more efficient, I swear they keep those lines long and people waiting on purpose sometimes.
The movie theater that I used to go to before they built our Alamo had auxiliary concession stands spread out nearer to the auditoriums, so if you wanted a quick refill you didn't have to go all the way back to the lobby. In 7-8 years of regular movie-going there, I never once saw them open. And I went at all times of the week. I think they just didn't want to have to clean them up.
Old 02-07-23, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Just another reason for me to watch a movie at home. I was never a big fan of movie cinemas for various reasons.
Old 02-07-23, 01:08 PM

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,329 Posts

There are going to be a lot of people who buy a cheap seat then move to an at-the-time unattended better seat, then someone comes in and they have to get them to move. That'll be fun for all parties. One of the best things about assigned seats is not having to sit through the previews if you time it right.
I think this happens a lot more than AMC knows.

I admit, I have my own confirmation bias, but looking back at my last 8 tickets, it happened to me twice. That's 25% over 5 months. That's not great.
Old 02-07-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,340 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Elijah Wood blasts AMC Theatres' new seat ticket pricing, says it will 'penalize people for lower income'

"The movie theater is and always has been a sacred democratic space for all," Wood tweeted Monday evening. "This new initiative by AMC Theatres would essentially penalize people for lower income and reward for higher income."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...173148989.html

Hey, it's their own fault for being poor.
Old 02-07-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I hate to break it to him but lower income people are already priced out of going to the theater in a lot of areas. The last time my wife and I went to an AMC was over 2 years ago. We spent 50 bucks. 2 drinks and a large popcorn combo cost us 22 bucks alone. I can afford it but I haven't been to the movies since. I felt completely ripped off.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (02-08-23)
Old 02-07-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If that goes as well as upcharges for 3D, they’ll just take the good seats out eventually.

Is it any wonder why I’ve given up on theaters?
You've had issues with theaters WAY before this happened.
Old 02-07-23, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I hate to break it to him but lower income people are already priced out of going to the theater in a lot of areas. The last time my wife and I went to an AMC was over 2 years ago. We spent 50 bucks. 2 drinks and a large popcorn combo cost us 22 bucks alone. I can afford it but I haven't been to the movies since. I felt completely ripped off.
I think there are still opportunities. The promo ended but AMC had 5 dollar Tuesdays (and even without the promo it's like 6.50 Tuesdays or something). That's doable.
Old 02-07-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 893 Likes on 417 Posts

I think there are still opportunities. The promo ended but AMC had 5 dollar Tuesdays (and even without the promo it's like 6.50 Tuesdays or something). That's doable.
I read the that the promo ended (which is dumb because every other theater I know does it all year), but then I was looking at tickets last Tuesday, and when I checked AMC (which I don't do very often), the tickets still came up as $5 with my stubs membership. Or was the promo period for everyone without stubs?
Old 02-07-23, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I believe the $5 Tuesdays was open for everyone, but now it's just for AMC Stubs members.

Regal has $6.50 Tuesdays, but only for the Regal Crown Club membership.
fujishig (02-07-23)
Old 02-07-23, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I believe the $5 Tuesdays was open for everyone, but now it's just for AMC Stubs members.

Regal has $6.50 Tuesdays, but only for the Regal Crown Club membership.
Ah, thanks for the clarification (I haven't gone since the AMC promo ended on 1/31). Though I think both were for Stubs members and they just extended it.

https://www.amctheatres.com/discount...offer_op_promo

And there's a promo for a small icee/drink combo for five bucks too on those days.

(here's the old promo, which also says for AMC stubs members, which is free to join: https://investor.amctheatres.com/new...3/default.aspx)
Old 02-07-23, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Maybe your theaters are different but the ones I use have prices clearly posted and since concessions are optional, you ripped yourself off. Concessions have ALWAYS been high. Eat before or after a movie or pay the price to fill your face during a movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
DJariya (02-07-23), story (02-07-23)
Old 02-07-23, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Nobody is forcing you to purchase concessions. It's always been expensive, but it's also optional. Concessions are like an Impulse purchase like buying BDs at a B&M retailer. I see most people who buy them because of convenience. If you think you might get hungry during that time frame, eat something before you go. I've gone to the movies many times without feeling the need to stuff high salt and calorie popcorn in my face.
Old 02-07-23, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno... I buy concessions out of convenience (especially with the kids, splitting that large popcorn and getting a refill isn't exactly a deal but it's ok) and a perhaps misguided attempt to give the theater some money since I know they aren't making all that much off of my ticket (particularly on 5 dollar Tuesdays). It's still an "event" for us, but if we went regularly I'd probably cut back a lot.
Old 02-07-23, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The movie theater that I used to go to before they built our Alamo had auxiliary concession stands spread out nearer to the auditoriums, so if you wanted a quick refill you didn't have to go all the way back to the lobby. In 7-8 years of regular movie-going there, I never once saw them open. And I went at all times of the week. I think they just didn't want to have to clean them up.
The theater here has those. They're only open on high volume nights - typically Friday and Saturday.
Old 02-07-23, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife doesn't like going to the movies but *loves* "movie theater popcorn" so if I go I have to get her a large popcorn before I leave. For myself, I don't like to eat during a movie but do take some hard candies (Lifesavers, Jolly Ranchers, Gin-Gins, or similar - something I'd also do at home) - usually about 4/hour. I never drink anything at a movie as I don't want to have to leave to go to the restroom. I paid to watch a movie, not wait in line for anything.
story (02-07-23)
Old 02-07-23, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Concessions are also how every theater largely profits from, no? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Draven (02-07-23)
Old 02-07-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by EinCB
Concessions are also how every theater largely profits from, no? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes that’s how they pay the employees and keep the lights on.
EinCB (02-07-23)
Old 02-07-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many years ago at a theater in San Diego (can't remember which chain) I wasn't happy with soda prices. Then I spotted a regular soda machine. "Eureka!" I thought. Walked over and it wanted $4 for a can of Coke.

Son of a bitch!
Old 02-07-23, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heck, I was once charged for a full price soda to get an *empty* cup I had to take to a water fountain and fill myself (pre-water bottle days)! I was livid!! I'd have gotten a soda but had a bladder infection and was on a drink only water limitation. I should have just ordered the soda and poured it out - at least it'd have cost them a nickle or so...
Old 02-07-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 527 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Heck, I was once charged for a full price soda to get an *empty* cup I had to take to a water fountain and fill myself (pre-water bottle days)! I was livid!! I'd have gotten a soda but had a bladder infection and was on a drink only water limitation. I should have just ordered the soda and poured it out - at least it'd have cost them a nickle or so...
I was astonished last week to see the concession stand hand someone a free cup so they could get water from one of the self-serve drink dispensers. I even overheard her remarking to her friend, "That's amazing they trust us to pour water and not steal pop."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.