Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Theaters

Old 03-02-23, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Re: Movie Theaters

Originally Posted by mndtrp
My wife and I went to the Alamo a couple weeks ago. The plastic cups they use amplify any noise the ice makes a ton. So many jackoffs swirling their drinks. Or the other ones who like to eat the ice, constantly jostling the cubes in their plastic cups throughout the whole movie. It would be impossible to "raise a card" for all of them, and was insanely irritating. All supposedly "adult-only". Most of my movie-going experiences have been pretty good at any location or time, or clientele.
Weird. I've been to ours over a dozen times and I've never once noticed that.
Old 03-02-23, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 785 Likes on 378 Posts

I've taught my children the proper way to behave at the theater. If we go see a movie, they are watching the movie. I taught them this from an early age by leaving the theater and just taking them home if they were being bad. Then it would be some time before I attempted bringing them again.

The issue is not with the kids, it's with the parents.

Also, I have had more issues with idiot adults making noise at the theater at night than I have with kids.

My daughter is my movie buddy and she is 13. If she couldn't go to the theater anymore until she was 17, then I would stop frequenting that theater, even if I was without her.
The following 3 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
Abob Teff (03-04-23), BobO'Link (03-02-23), Brian T (03-07-23)
Old 03-02-23, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Surely there are options for family movie experiences nearby? Or is that 'Movieland' place the only game in town?

Maybe folks can still take their restless, noisy kiddies and bored tweens 'n teens to a matinee, or a different theater where they can do what they do in the presence of like-minded others.

Sometimes it's nice to have assurances that only adults will be in the house, and who are there to simply watch the movie.
What assurance do you have that the adults aren't going to be as disruptive as the kids would've been?

I guess I don't go to many movies so I haven't been bothered by teens at movies in a long time, and when I go with my kids, well, we go to a movie that usually has a ton of kids. But if the movie is any good my kids are pretty much mesmerized by what's on the screen.
Old 03-02-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 645 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What assurance do you have that the adults aren't going to be as disruptive as the kids would've been?
I don't, really, but I have 25 consecutive years of going to the official TIFF festival, and about 16 years of attending random screenings throughout the year at TIFF's specialty HQ theater downtown (which I guess is as close as we can get to an Alamo), and from that experience I can confidently say that people are more inclined to behave like grown-ups if the environment is conducive to it and they've paid a small-ish premium to be there, and if the movies maybe lean a little more arthouse, foreign, etc. Have I seen cell phones light up? On occasion. And it doesn't take long before someone politely asks them to turn it off, and repeats it more firmly if necessary. Might sound snobbish, but in that environment, it works. In multiplexes, if often doesn't, or it escalates. But outside of a very rare occasion like that, my experience in specialty or adults-only (ahem) theatres has largely been preferable, because virtually everyone else in that theater is of a similar mindset, and have probably left the kids at home, if they even have any, or possibly wouldn't pay the premium if they did.

Meanwhile, there's a 10-screen Cineplex 'Silver City' theater less than one block from my place, in a giant 'destination mall' that essentially sits on the diagonal corner to the one where my apartment building is. When I feel like seeing a mainstream movie on the big screen on a whim, I go there, but I always wait until the movie has been out for a week or two, and I go on non-peak nights so there's barely a handful of people in attendance and I/we can sit far enough away from them that we can't hear them or see their phones. Sometimes I suspect those folks have held off for the exact same reason, so everybody's cool.

When we used to go on 'peak' nights -- say a Friday or Saturday, or cheap Tuesdays up here -- it was often the same: noisy teens, screens lighting up in the peripheral, certain kiddies who were only mesmerized for so long, shaking ice ups, crinkly snack bags, open-mouth eaters right behind us, the whole nine yards. Almost every time (though not all at once, obviously). Sure, the majority in there were enjoying the movie, phones off, eating quietly, but all it takes is one or two, especially near you, and suddenly it's a compromise.

I think it's fine if people have the option of going somewhere a little more subdued to enjoy a movie with like-minded adults -- a lot of arthouse cinemas are kinda like this anyway -- and where there may even be some rules about etiquette and respect for your fellow moviegoer, but preferably the option to see a movie in a standard all-ages multiplex should available as always.

I wonder if the decision made by the operators of that Wonderland cinema in VA was perhaps an acknowledgement that under-18's aren't going to theatres that much as they used to, now that they can consume so much on their phones or at home.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-02-23 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

I can't remember hearing ice being swirled/crunched during a movie. I do hear people eating the popcorn all the time, but I figured that's just me being overly-sensitive, because I'd have to think ice would be much louder.

When I was growing up, one of the local theatres here had a No One Under 14 for any movies unless accompanied by an adult (my friend and I had to find someone standing on line to take us into Dick Tracy when we showed up to a 9 o'clock screening). I think I'd be okay with a policy like that, but question if it really will have much of an effect, because in my experience, kids are not misbehaving in larger numbers than the adults misbehaving.
Old 03-02-23, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,145 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I can't remember hearing ice being swirled/crunched during a movie. I do hear people eating the popcorn all the time, but I figured that's just me being overly-sensitive, because I'd have to think ice would be much louder.
You aren't being overly sensitive.

Fuck killing Hitler if I had a time machine. I would kill the guy that sold popcorn as a snack for the first time at a movie.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (03-02-23)
Old 03-02-23, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only time I recall being entertained by an annoying fellow patron in a movie theatre was around 30 years ago back in my home city, where there was this dude who had a basso profundo mad scientist laugh, so any time something funny happened on screen and he bellowed one out, you could kinda hear half the audience quietly nose-laughing in amusement, or turning their heads to smile at their companions. I don't think anyone was offended because there was a certain honesty about him; it was just the way he was, and it never came across as deliberately disruptive. He was a regular moviegoer there with his wife and/or family, so I'm sure half the city had heard him at some point.

Everyone else that I've ever found annoying before or since that guy, was just annoying.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I would kill the guy that sold popcorn as a snack for the first time at a movie.
There have been times where a side-trip in your machine might've been necessary to get the guy who sold nachos for the first time.

And the guy who thought candy in really crinkly plastic bags was a bright idea.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-02-23 at 04:10 PM.
Spiderbite (03-03-23)
Old 03-02-23, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

And the guy who thought candy in really crinkly plastic bags was a bright idea.
My theatre sells full bags of chips and pretzel kind of stuff, but since they're priced at something like nine dollars a bag I've almost never had anyone eating from one of them during the movie. Crunch-crunch-crunch
Old 03-02-23, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 996 Likes on 703 Posts

Maybe I just don't go to a lot of movies with kids in the audience, but anytime I've ever had problems with other patrons, it's been adults.
​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Obi-Wanma (03-02-23), Spiderbite (03-03-23)
Old 03-03-23, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Maybe I just don't go to a lot of movies with kids in the audience, but anytime I've ever had problems with other patrons, it's been adults.
​​​​​
For me it's adults and adults who bring babies. Can't tell you how many after-10PM movies I've been to where someone has wheeled in a stroller right before the lights go down.

I'm a parent of two kids. You know what I did when they were babies? I DIDN'T GO SEE MOVIES.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Brian T (03-03-23), Spiderbite (03-03-23)
Old 03-03-23, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm a parent of two kids. You know what I did when they were babies? I DIDN'T GO SEE MOVIES.
I was updating my Bands Seen Live spreadsheet, and was wondering why I didn't see hardly anybody for a few years, starting around 8 years ago. Realized that was when I had my first kid, with my second coming 2 years after that. We also didn't do a whole lot when our kids showed up, and I don't think we took them to the theater until they were close to 7. That was for afternoon matinees of children's movies. Even then though, they were pretty chill.
Old 03-03-23, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow. There certainly are a lot of very sensitive people in the thread. I'm wondering whether you disallow all noise when watching movies at home as well. Is talking allowed during a movie at your house? Is eating? Drinking? If it is that tortuous for some to go to the theater, that ice swirling in a cup bothers you, maybe a trip to the theater is not the best idea.
Old 03-03-23, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

For me it's adults and adults who bring babies. Can't tell you how many after-10PM movies I've been to where someone has wheeled in a stroller right before the lights go down.

One of the great reasons god created drive-ins, if there is still one nearby.
Old 03-03-23, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

I saw The Godfather at a drive-in, though I have no memory of it.

A lot of my memorable movie annoyances were from old people. Remember 2 old ladies describing everything in the movie to each other, I called them out about halfway through.
Old 03-03-23, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Wow. There certainly are a lot of very sensitive people in the thread. I'm wondering whether you disallow all noise when watching movies at home as well. Is talking allowed during a movie at your house? Is eating? Drinking? If it is that tortuous for some to go to the theater, that ice swirling in a cup bothers you, maybe a trip to the theater is not the best idea.
What's wrong with being sensitive to irritating and unnecessary distractions? The people who make them are always in the minority (often a minority of one) every time this happens. Why should the majority around them just have to put up with it? What's so difficult about a reasonable expectation of respectful behaviour in a public setting where everyone has paid a premium for the experience? Many of these distractions are thankfully short-lived, but some are not, and they're all irritating depending on one's proximity to them, and can temporarily distract one's focus from the screen because of a bunch of teenagers constantly yakking, or a full-brightness cellphone screen floating in your periphery, or an inevitably crying baby in a stroller who should not be there (and who is gaining precisely nothing from the experience at that age), or people who rip into plastic bags in the row right behind you regardless of whether a loud or quite scene is playing on screen, or people mocking foreign languages on screen (as I think I may have mentioned earlier in this thread), or people repeatedly shaking ice in a cup like it's a pair of maracas. I think those of us who are grumbling here are mainly referring to egregious and sometimes repetitive distractions and not just "ice swirling in a cup", which can actually be done fairly quietly, even better if you're sitting away from other people. This shit's all fine at home; you can always rewind. But as I said, these things usually pass quickly, but we've experienced enough of them at 'busier' screenings that it prompted us years ago to start waiting until a movie had been playing for a week or two, then go on a off night where the theater is practically empty.
Old 03-03-23, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts

So for the people who hate noise, did you all get angry during the penultimate scene in Endgame when many audiences cheered when all the Avengers got together to fight Thanos? That was 4 years ago and probably the best audition reaction for watching a big movie. I had not experienced that at a movie and it was pretty amazing IMO. I know not everyone can see a new movie opening weekend, but I couldn't imagine looking back experiencing that alone whether in an empty theater when it's been out awhile or months later watching it at home alone. I left when a smile on my face.

Next closest was when I saw Spider-Man: No Way Home in November 2021 when the 3 Spideys were revealed.
Old 03-03-23, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
So for the people who hate noise, did you all get angry during the penultimate scene in Endgame when many audiences cheered when all the Avengers got together to fight Thanos? That was 4 years ago and probably the best audition reaction for watching a big movie. I had not experienced that at a movie and it was pretty amazing IMO. I know not everyone can see a new movie opening weekend, but I couldn't imagine looking back experiencing that alone whether in an empty theater when it's been out awhile or months later watching it at home alone. I left when a smile on my face.
That's not the same thing at all.

This is absolutely not about hating all noise. This is about being unnecessarily distracted by irritating, often repetitive noises made by people who could effortlessly be respectful of those around them and do their shit a bit more discreetly. But hey, let's just all act the way we would at home, right? Twenty bucks well spent. Too many folks here are reading extremism into certain comments.

I said earlier that one nice thing about 'adults-only' screenings at festivals such as TIFF is the general lack of irritating, unnecessary distractions (they can happen, but they're exceedingly rare), but often – and especially during Midnight Madness screenings – the entire audience will erupt with laughter at a funny gag, or bust out in applause and whistling after a particularly nasty kill in a horror movie or a fight scene in an action movie. That's a communal experience. That happens in multiplexes too. The right movie encourages everyone to do it! Big difference. One guy constantly crinkling a plastic wrapper or shaking his cup like there's no tomorrow, or one crying unhappy baby who is too young to even be in the theater, is not a communal experience. It's one guy, acting in public like he acts act home, or one parent (or two) letting their infant (!) cry away in public like they would at home, and all of them presumably incapable of being quieter or stepping outside unless they're actually asked to by someone sitting near him.

Sorry, but that doesn't compare to an entire audience erupting with joy during a big Avengers action sequence. I've been to tons of screenings throughout my lifetime where that has happened, both at TIFF and at regular movie theatres around here, including at ENDGAME (though being Canadian, we didn't lose our shit the way you Americans did, but more power to you). That's a cool communal experience. I leave smiling too. And the smile is even wider if I get through the entire movie without someone open-mouth crunching nachos in my ear for half an hour.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-03-23 at 03:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
Ash Ketchum (03-03-23), DJariya (03-03-23)
Old 03-03-23, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 829 Likes on 611 Posts

I haven't been to a movie theater since January 2020. I don't really miss people reading every sign or graphic on screen out loudly or phones constantly lighting up. I'm completely happy to watch movies at home now. I can eat whatever I want and pause and take a break whenever I want too. I guess I'm becoming an old fuddy-duddy now that I'm about to turn 40 in November. There is a drive-in near me that I might go see Creed III at, but I'll probably just wait for it on digital or disc.

Last edited by lwhy?; 03-03-23 at 03:13 PM.
Brian T (03-03-23)
Old 03-03-23, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

I mean yeah I get annoyed all the time when we're watching at home and someone talks and I miss dialogue, or gets up in the middle of the movie and blocks the screen, or isn't paying attention because they're on their phone and asks constant questions about what just happened, or eats really really loudly right next to me. But they're my family so we try to teach and move on. If they were doing these things in the theater we'd probably leave so as not to annoy everyone else.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
Brian T (03-03-23), Obi-Wanma (03-03-23)
Old 03-04-23, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Weird. I've been to ours over a dozen times and I've never once noticed that.
And now you will never not notice it again. Like the old cigarette burns at the end of a reel. You never saw them until you did ... and then you couldn't stop seeing them.
Brian T (03-07-23)
Old 03-04-23, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

My wife and I went to the Alamo a couple weeks ago. The plastic cups they use amplify any noise the ice makes a ton.
If you wouldn't be such a cheap-ass, you could buy a ticket for a seat instead of listening in from the lobby.

Old 03-06-23, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean yeah I get annoyed all the time when we're watching at home and someone talks and I miss dialogue, or gets up in the middle of the movie and blocks the screen, or isn't paying attention because they're on their phone and asks constant questions about what just happened, or eats really really loudly right next to me. But they're my family so we try to teach and move on. If they were doing these things in the theater we'd probably leave so as not to annoy everyone else.
This is absolutely not about hating all noise. This is about being unnecessarily distracted by irritating, often repetitive noises made by people who could effortlessly be respectful of those around them and do their shit a bit more discreetly. But hey, let's just all act the way we would at home, right? Twenty bucks well spent. Too many folks here are reading extremism into certain comments.

Sorry, but that doesn't compare to an entire audience erupting with joy during a big Avengers action sequence. I've been to tons of screenings throughout my lifetime where that has happened, both at TIFF and at regular movie theatres around here, including at ENDGAME (though being Canadian, we didn't lose our shit the way you Americans did, but more power to you). That's a cool communal experience. I leave smiling too. And the smile is even wider if I get through the entire movie without someone open-mouth crunching nachos in my ear for half an hour.
Exactly. Some noise is fine and expected. I don't plan on having complete silence, and don't mind the general noise of eating and drinking. If someone is sitting there constantly crinkling a bag, or like my example of rattling ice in their plastic cup every minute over the course of an hour, yeah it's going to irritate me. If my family made excessive amounts of noise at home (or at the theater) I would ask them to stop. Big audience reactions to big movie moments is something else entirely.
Old 03-06-23, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My wife and I went to the Alamo a couple weeks ago. The plastic cups they use amplify any noise the ice makes a ton. So many jackoffs swirling their drinks. Or the other ones who like to eat the ice, constantly jostling the cubes in their plastic cups throughout the whole movie. It would be impossible to "raise a card" for all of them, and was insanely irritating. All supposedly "adult-only". Most of my movie-going experiences have been pretty good at any location or time, or clientele.
I hate “dinner” theaters more than I do normal ones. People treat them like their living room and the upcharge makes that even more apparent when there is poor behavior.
Old 03-06-23, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

What's wrong with being sensitive to irritating and unnecessary distractions? The people who make them are always in the minority (often a minority of one) every time this happens. Why should the majority around them just have to put up with it? What's so difficult about a reasonable expectation of respectful behaviour in a public setting where everyone has paid a premium for the experience? Many of these distractions are thankfully short-lived, but some are not, and they're all irritating depending on one's proximity to them, and can temporarily distract one's focus from the screen because of a bunch of teenagers constantly yakking, or a full-brightness cellphone screen floating in your periphery, or an inevitably crying baby in a stroller who should not be there (and who is gaining precisely nothing from the experience at that age), or people who rip into plastic bags in the row right behind you regardless of whether a loud or quite scene is playing on screen, or people mocking foreign languages on screen (as I think I may have mentioned earlier in this thread), or people repeatedly shaking ice in a cup like it's a pair of maracas. I think those of us who are grumbling here are mainly referring to egregious and sometimes repetitive distractions and not just "ice swirling in a cup", which can actually be done fairly quietly, even better if you're sitting away from other people. This shit's all fine at home; you can always rewind. But as I said, these things usually pass quickly, but we've experienced enough of them at 'busier' screenings that it prompted us years ago to start waiting until a movie had been playing for a week or two, then go on a off night where the theater is practically empty.
There's nothing wrong with "being sensitive to irritating and unnecessary distractions". What's wrong, is going to a movie theater, with a bunch of other people, and expecting it to be silent the whole time. No food eating, or drinking allowed. It's ridiculous how overly sensitive some people are.
Old 03-07-23, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's nothing wrong with "being sensitive to irritating and unnecessary distractions".
Points for acknowledging this, as this is what informs virtually all of the recent "complaint" posts in this this thread. And yet . . .

What's wrong, is going to a movie theater, with a bunch of other people, and expecting it to be silent the whole time. No food eating, or drinking allowed. It's ridiculous how overly sensitive some people are.
And of course, this is not what anyone in here is complaining about, let alone expecting, as far as I can see. But hey, I get it - most of my posts are tl:dr.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.