Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Face/Off is just 90's action excess with two of the biggest early 90's stars and just wallows in it all. I haven't seen it in ages but even back then it was corny as hell.

Braveheart is one of my favorite movies. Sad to see all the mentions.
Face/Off was one of the greatest theater experiences of my life and I'll agree its sad seeing Braveheart mentioned. I understand if you want to complain about the many historical inaccuracies in the movie but I always enjoy watching it at least once a year.
Old 01-12-20, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts

Any Jim Carey movie except the Truman Show. We usually watch The Grinch as background noise as we decorate for Christmas and my opinion of it is getting worse and worse every year. I loved it when it first came out.

The Matrix - I think this is a case where over exposure and the sequels really hurt my initial reaction to the movie. The special effects are still cool but they've been copied/parodied SO many times it's really hurt the original.

Shrek - Really liked how un-Disney it was and how "adult" a cartoon could be. Liked it a lot better than Monster's Inc released that same year. Now my opinion has majorly flip flopped and Monster's Inc holds up way better than Shrek.

The Land Before Time - For like a month I watched this movie every day. Now It's been 15 years at least since I've watched it

And I never got the appeal of Face/Off. Everyone loved it at the time and I was just meh...
Old 01-12-20, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
All this besmirching of Face/off needs to stop right now! This is a movie that has Nicolas Cage playing John Travolta playing Nicolas Cage and vice versa. It has a high security prison where the inmates wear magnet boots and are forced to listen to the calming sounds of nature. It has peak Gina Gershon in a weird, incest-y relationship with her brother. It's John Woo's only American movie that fully realizes his Hong Kong aesthetic before moving into full on self parody with MI2. And it had this scene:

https://youtu.be/PDnW5XxjwI8

We should be so lucky to get a movie like Face/off every once in a while, warts and all. But instead, I guess we get to enjoy sitting through the same Marvel movie every 3 months for the next 20 years.
I would sit through every outtake of every Marvel film before I would sit through Face/Off again
Old 01-12-20, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I would sit through every outtake of every Marvel film before I would sit through Face/Off again
Your Disney overlords thank you for your compliance.
Old 01-13-20, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Oblivion

Made the dumb decision to buy it at Best Buy for around $8 or $9

The first time I thought it had some cool special effects and music but the second time I saw it was boring.

I will not keep it in my collection.
Old 01-13-20, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I have to agree with The Breakfast Club. I saw it twice in the theater, and I remember telling my younger brother that I thought that every teenager should see the film.

These days, I can't stand it at all. What I once saw as depth now strikes me as posturing, and Judd Nelson's performance, which I once thought verged on genius, now reduces me to helpless laughter.
Old 01-13-20, 09:49 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Any Jim Carey movie except the Truman Show. We usually watch The Grinch as background noise as we decorate for Christmas and my opinion of it is getting worse and worse every year. I loved it when it first came out.

The Matrix - I think this is a case where over exposure and the sequels really hurt my initial reaction to the movie. The special effects are still cool but they've been copied/parodied SO many times it's really hurt the original.

Shrek - Really liked how un-Disney it was and how "adult" a cartoon could be. Liked it a lot better than Monster's Inc released that same year. Now my opinion has majorly flip flopped and Monster's Inc holds up way better than Shrek.

The Land Before Time - For like a month I watched this movie every day. Now It's been 15 years at least since I've watched it

And I never got the appeal of Face/Off. Everyone loved it at the time and I was just meh...
Ironically simulation theory is more popular than it’s ever been, largely thanks to people like Elon Musk believing in it. And millennials fucking LOVE them some Shrek for whatever reason.
Old 01-13-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I don't know anybody that loves Shrek at this point, the references and music have dated it terribly.

The Matrix has conceptually aged well, and so have the effects, but the posturing is just super goofy.
Old 01-13-20, 12:38 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I disliked Shrek from day one. Terrible movie.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

I think a lot of younger people still love Shrek. I thought it was fine when I was a kid, but I remember liking Shrek 2 more. While I haven't seen 2 since it was in theaters, 1 is just horrendous.
Old 01-13-20, 11:06 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Shrek has had a big resurgence among people in their 20’s, but honestly I think many of them enjoy it ironically. That “it’s all orge now” meme probably had a lot to do with it.
This is the same generation that has recently discovered and revived the general popularity of Friends and The Office. But in those cases it’s not loved ironically, they legitimately have gotten hooked on these shows that they were mostly too young to appreciate the first time around (and probably many weren’t even born yet when Friends was in it’s original cultural zeitgeist).
Old 01-14-20, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Just about any movies with Vampires or Zombies.
JeffTheAlpaca (01-14-20)
Old 01-14-20, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,471 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Just about any movies with Vampires or Zombies.
You used to hold them in high regard? I wouldn't have thought that someone with your screenname would have been a fan of sparkly emo vampires.
Old 01-14-20, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Also, I held Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan as my favorite Trek movie. As I've gotten older, I much prefer the gentle humanity of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. (though Wrath is ultimately still the greatest Trek movie of all)
They are both insulting in different ways, but I hold The Final Frontier in higher regard than The Voyage Home these days.
Old 01-14-20, 06:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Jezz. What do you hate so much about IV?
Old 01-14-20, 07:06 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
They are both insulting in different ways, but I hold The Final Frontier in higher regard than The Voyage Home these days.
Whaaaaat?! Save it for the unpopular opinion, pal!
Brack (01-14-20)
Old 01-14-20, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
The concept of flipping Fairy Tales upside down in Shrek was very intriguing, and at the time, mostly a fresh idea. The movie started out promising with all the fairy tale characters at the beginning in Shrek’s swamp but then it completely abandoned all those characters and turned into a very average standard fairy tale movie with only a couple unconventional plot points.

And yeah, the pop culture references and music were dated almost immediately.
IBJoel (01-20-20)
Old 01-14-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

As a kid I preferred Superman III over the first two because I thought Richard Pryor was funny.

I see now that I was wrong.
Old 01-18-20, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
What? I don’t know anyone else who holds The Final Frontier in high regards. It’s probably one of the weakest things in anything Trek related. Let alone to be held higher than what is one of the better film entries is weird.

Originally Posted by PatD
Also, I held Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan as my favorite Trek movie. As I've gotten older, I much prefer the gentle humanity of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. (though Wrath is ultimately still the greatest Trek movie of all)
I understand why so many people like The Wrath of Khan best, but it’s far from my favorite. It’s got good action and Khan is a fantastic villain that was built on from his earlier TOS appearance. I just don’t feel like it represents Star Trek at its best even if it is a great film.

I’ve always had a soft spot for The Search For Spock. Just kind of enjoy the aspect of Kirk and company going rogue in order to seek out and save Spock. Plus it’s one of the better uses of the Klingons in the films, and Christopher Lloyd as Kruge is great.

The Voyage Home is great too. A relatively simple story, but it was a nice change of pace to not have a Trek film be action packed and instead being about doing something that helped a greater good.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-18-20 at 02:09 AM.
IBJoel (01-20-20)