Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts
Re: Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

When I was in high school, I was very moved, and angered by the injustice depicted in the movie Priest (1995). Years later, I read Roger Ebert's review of the movie https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/priest-1995 . Not being a Catholic, I didn't understand how the confessional is supposed to work. In a the movie, a father goes into the confessional to tell the priest that he is sexually abusing his daughter. The priest is frustrated, because he is required to keep what is said in confessional secret. He's angered that the rules of Catholicism won't allow him to be gay, but they will protect a man who is raping his daughter night after night. In Ebert's review, he attacked this portion of the movie, pointing out that the purpose of the confessional is to repent for your sin. The fact that the father in the movie isn't asking for forgiveness, and in fact brags he will continue to rape his daughter, means the priest has no obligation to protect his secret and should go to the police. The fact that he does not do so, means he's either a fucking idiot, or the movie is a bunch of contrived nonsense. After reading that, I felt embarrassed for thinking this was a serious movie.
Old 01-07-20, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Maybe not the sequels (although I still kind of enjoy The Secret of the Ooze), but the original 1990 Turtles movie is fantastic. Really pretty ahead of it’s time if you ask me and holds up amazingly well. One of the better comic book movies before they were a common thing. The story is good, the tone is actually fairly serious but has a bit of humor mixed in, and the Turtles themselves look fantastic. The Henson costumes look far better than the abominations we got from the newer Turtles movies by Nickelodeon.
It's not high art, but I like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles more now as an adult than I did when it was originally released.
Old 01-07-20, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Old 01-07-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I remember loving Gladiator when it was in theaters, and the first release of the DVD was one of my most played . In fact, I think that movie and The Matrix were the two that really sold people on the format back in the day (i.e. it was one of the first titles people got when they purchased their players, or inspired people to get players). While I still enjoy it as a "guy" movie along the lines of something like Scarface or Top Gun, it started to lose its luster for me once it won Best Picture. I liked the movie, but knew it was not that level of material.
That rings true. I remember owning those films and constantly re-watching them. And other family members and friends having them as well.

As far as Fight Club. Yes I loved that movie as a teenager but as an adult I have serious problem with its themes. And while some might say its a cautionary tale. I think the movie spends more time glamorizing terrorism than anything.
Old 01-07-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
It's not high art, but I like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles more now as an adult than I did when it was originally released.
Same here. At least with the first one. As a kid I always liked The Secret of the Ooze best. Probably because it’s more kid friendly and has more comedy and stuff. I liked the first one too as a kid, but didn’t watch it quite as often. I owned all three on VHS, which was sorta rare to actually have official tapes versus just ones taped off tv or watching them on tv, but the second definitely got the most play. I’ve definitely grown to appreciate the first film more over the years though. Crazy to think this year is actually the 30th anniversary of the original film.
Old 01-07-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I will also defend Fight Club as an extraordinarily well put together movie. The acting, the writing, the editing, even the FX. I've watched this movie many times over the past 20 years (!!!) and it's still a great flick. But I do think there's a lot of disaffected youths that saw how "cool" Tyler Durden was and didn't follow it through to what happens to him. They don't get the lesson that they should find an answer somewhere in between being an office drudge and being a terrorist. Sure, you can help change society. But Project Mayhem ain't the way.

Still love that movie. Hilarious and extremely well made through and through.
Old 01-07-20, 01:52 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe in 1990 when I was not a sophisticated movie viewer and just watched comedies and action movies.
This is hilarious considering some of the dogshit you post about in the Last Movie You Watched Thread.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I hate to say it but Star Wars.
This is where I'm at. But it is with the franchise as a whole.
Old 01-07-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I can't look at Star Wars in my movie collection and not be disgusted with what it has become under Disney.
Old 01-07-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I can't look at Star Wars in my movie collection and not be disgusted with what it has become under Disney.
I couldn't look at it and not be disgusted by what Lucas kept doing with it. Luckily, I have this...

The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
IBJoel (01-07-20), Sonny Corinthos (01-11-20)
Old 01-07-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I hope to acquire the Despecialized editions this year.
Old 01-07-20, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I think any teen film from the 80's that I grew up with, as they don't resonate with me now as an adult. It is not to say the movies are worse than I remembered, it's just the problems the characters are going through really doesn't jive with me at an older age. A movie like 'The Breakfast Club' was such a huge part of my youth because we can all relate to one of those characters (I played sports so I related to Emilio Estevez and how he treated a nerd like Anthony Michael Hall as he always had to put an act among his jock friends). We had a Judd Nelson at our school who put on this 'cool guy' act, but he came from a really bad family, and of course we all know a Molly Ringwald Princess in our class. I watch 'The Breakfast Club' now and it's still funny as hell, but I really can't relate to the teen angst in the 2nd half of the film. The same goes for 'Stand By Me' as it's one of the best movies of the 80's (very underrated), and I was the exact age of those guys who went on that journey and also related to their teenage problems at the times. But now I watch it as an adult and I just can't connect with them on that same level anymore. Not to get off topic but 'The Wonder Years' would be a perfect show that I loved as a kid, but I probably couldn't watch today for the same reasons.
Teen movies do change (or more accurately, your attitude about them changes) as you get older, One I still enjoy is The Last American Virgin. But at the time it came out, Lawrence Monoson's Gary was kind of my hero, or at least a person I could identify with. Now as an adult, I see Gary as a total creep, and I also can see why I graduated high school still in possession of my V-card (sorry for the overshare).
But despite that, I can still feel the right amount of teen angst. Last year I watched the movie Eighth Grade, and I thought it perfectly captured that awkward time at the beginning of your teens where you and your friends are getting older and becoming interested in adult things, but still have a foot planted firmly in childhood. A whole bunch of memories (not all good) came flooding back.

It will be interesting to see how kids of today will feel about movies like Eighth Grade in about 30 years. Of course, I'll probably be dead by then.
Old 01-07-20, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
American Beauty- It’s a movie that I really liked when it came out. And I thought the performances were universally great. It felt sort of revolutionary for a Best Picture winner in 2000 - like it was really shanking things up. But it really hasn’t aged well, and not just because of Kevin Spacey. It feels very homophobic and archaic twenty years later. The new thinking that 1999 was maybe the best movie year ever has really hurt its reputation.
First film I thought of. I thought it was great when it first came out, but I don't think I could sit through it now, and as you say, it hasn't aged well.
Old 01-07-20, 03:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Fight Club is a film that was a perfect encapsulation of the attitudes of a significant subsection of men at the precise time it was made, with that pre-9/11 GenX angst. That movie would be entirely different if made 10 years or 20 years later. That goes for a lot of movies, but rings very true for this one.
While the movie has some issues, and is clearly a product of its time, it's also a fantastic representation of how self-centered people are.
In the film, dare I say, Marla is the only remotely admirable character (and that's a bit of a stretch as it is...), and much like Skylar in Breaking Bad, audiences (mostly men) kind of hated her for no good reason, especially if they over-sympathized with Jack and Tyler. I've never been Ms. Carter's biggest fan or anything, but looking back at that flick... Damn. What a complex role she had to play, putting up with all of "Tyler's" bullshit.

Also, I loved the Watchmen movie at the time, but looking back, I'm not sure it's that great, if even good. I need to rewatch it, but I don't think Snyder captured Moore's intent in the same way that, IMO, the TV series does.
​​​​​
Old 01-07-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

Ah, I still like American Beauty. Hell, I still use one of Lester's quotes in the workplace.

"Lester, do you have a minute?"
"For you I've got five"
Old 01-07-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
American Beauty- It’s a movie that I really liked when it came out. And I thought the performances were universally great. It felt sort of revolutionary for a Best Picture winner in 2000 - like it was really shanking things up. But it really hasn’t aged well, and not just because of Kevin Spacey. It feels very homophobic and archaic twenty years later. The new thinking that 1999 was maybe the best movie year ever has really hurt its reputation.
Originally Posted by cultshock
First film I thought of. I thought it was great when it first came out, but I don't think I could sit through it now, and as you say, it hasn't aged well.
Not to mention the movie treats middle America, so like 95% of the country, like a dysfunctional mess. The only characters that were even remotely sane were the gay couple, which is fine but coming from a Hollywood screenwriter, who also happens to be gay, feels a bit condescending.
Old 01-07-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I love Planet of the Apes but over the years, Charlton Hestons acting has really begun to grate on my nerves. I actually enjoy the other movies more now just because he isn’t in them.
Old 01-07-20, 05:19 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Not to mention the movie treats middle America, so like 95% of the country, like a dysfunctional mess. The only characters that were even remotely sane were the gay couple, which is fine but coming from a Hollywood screenwriter, who also happens to be gay, feels a bit condescending.
The country isn’t?
Old 01-07-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
The country isn’t?
Touché

But there’s some one the coasts too, is my point.
Old 01-07-20, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I used to think it was condescending. Then my friends moved into one of those master planned communities. I'd say they got off easy in AB haha
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This is where I'm at. But it is with the franchise as a whole.
Out of 11 movies, Empire is the only one that is from beginning to end, a pretty great movie. Even the original doesn't hold up that well.
Old 01-08-20, 06:29 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Out of 11 movies, Empire is the only one that is from beginning to end, a pretty great movie. Even the original doesn't hold up that well.
I don’t disagree. It’s the only one I have a poster for hanging in my media room.

Last edited by dex14; 01-08-20 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

10000% agree. Star Wars has been milked to fucking boredom.
Old 01-08-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Fight Club is a film that was a perfect encapsulation of the attitudes of a significant subsection of men at the precise time it was made, with that pre-9/11 GenX angst. That movie would be entirely different if made 10 years or 20 years later. That goes for a lot of movies, but rings very true for this one.
While the movie has some issues, and is clearly a product of its time, it's also a fantastic representation of how self-centered people are.
​​​​​
I agree and on top of the good story and writing, as with every David Fincher film his meticulous direction is the star.
Old 01-08-20, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

I don't entirely agree, but I was shocked at how much less I was digging the original in my series re-watch. Ford and Guinness are holding that thing together, and then Fisher helps out when she drops the accent.
Old 01-08-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
In the film, dare I say, Marla is the only remotely admirable character (and that's a bit of a stretch as it is...), and much like Skylar in Breaking Bad, audiences (mostly men) kind of hated her for no good reason, especially if they over-sympathized with Jack and Tyler. I've never been Ms. Carter's biggest fan or anything, but looking back at that flick... Damn. What a complex role she had to play, putting up with all of "Tyler's" bullshit.

Also, I loved the Watchmen movie at the time, but looking back, I'm not sure it's that great, if even good. I need to rewatch it, but I don't think Snyder captured Moore's intent in the same way that, IMO, the TV series does.
​​​​​
I had no idea she wasn't liked. I thought she was fantastic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.