Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 02:24 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Movies That You Once Held Above Others...But Not Anymore

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Out of 11 movies, Empire is the only one that is from beginning to end, a pretty great movie. Even the original doesn't hold up that well.
I didn't like particularly like the cliffhanger ending back when the movie first came out. Having to wait 3 full years to find out what happens to Han, then the next movie resolve it in the first 15 minutes?
Old 01-08-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,471 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Fight Club is a film that was a perfect encapsulation of the attitudes of a significant subsection of men at the precise time it was made, with that pre-9/11 GenX angst. That movie would be entirely different if made 10 years or 20 years later. That goes for a lot of movies, but rings very true for this one.
While the movie has some issues, and is clearly a product of its time, it's also a fantastic representation of how self-centered people are.
In the film, dare I say, Marla is the only remotely admirable character (and that's a bit of a stretch as it is...), and much like Skylar in Breaking Bad, audiences (mostly men) kind of hated her for no good reason, especially if they over-sympathized with Jack and Tyler. I've never been Ms. Carter's biggest fan or anything, but looking back at that flick... Damn. What a complex role she had to play, putting up with all of "Tyler's" bullshit.

Also, I loved the Watchmen movie at the time, but looking back, I'm not sure it's that great, if even good. I need to rewatch it, but I don't think Snyder captured Moore's intent in the same way that, IMO, the TV series does.
​​​​​
Why do you think Fight Club is tied to a particular time? Young men always think that way. I work with a guy who's a 3-percenter. The 18-25 demographic is always fertile ground for a call to violence and simple solutions, and that call is usually made by someone with ulterior motives.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 05:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Why do you think Fight Club is tied to a particular time? Young men always think that way. I work with a guy who's a 3-percenter. The 18-25 demographic is always fertile ground for a call to violence and simple solutions, and that call is usually made by someone with ulterior motives.
I agree, I just think there's something... unique... about those few years right before 9/11. I'll think on it a bit more to see if I can explain what I mean in a better way. It captured something about that time that I don't think can be replicated... that period as the internet was clearly taking hold and becoming more mainstream but still wasn't a critical part of daily lives of these types of angry dudes.
Old 01-08-20, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Also, I loved the Watchmen movie at the time, but looking back, I'm not sure it's that great, if even good. I need to rewatch it, but I don't think Snyder captured Moore's intent in the same way that, IMO, the TV series does.
​​​​​
Wow, I'm the exact opposite. I think the Watchmen movie did mostly a very good job of capturing the graphic novel as a film with the notable exception of omitting the squid, but I think the Watchmen tv series seemed like some sort of fan-fiction that had great production values to cover up how bad the writing was (for example, the degree to which it completely mishandled Dr. Manhattan alone was pure fan-fiction level writing).

Old 01-08-20, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

My issue with Watchmen as a movie was it felt like a re-enactment of what was on the page more than a cohesive flick. Nothing really came to life in it for me.

That doesn't entirely make sense I guess, but they're two different mediums, if I wanted a digital comic I would have watched that instead.
Old 01-08-20, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Did anybody ever hold Watchmen (the movie) in high esteem? It didn't get good reviews or do big box office. As far as I was concerned it was unremarkable except for a fantastic opening credits and the absolutely perfect casting of Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach
Old 01-09-20, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
My issue with Watchmen as a movie was it felt like a re-enactment of what was on the page more than a cohesive flick. Nothing really came to life in it for me.

That doesn't entirely make sense I guess, but they're two different mediums, if I wanted a digital comic I would have watched that instead.
I'm with you. Its great as a companion piece to the graphic novel. Seeing some images come out of the screen in live action. But as a whole its a very underwhelming film
Old 01-09-20, 09:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Did anybody ever hold Watchmen (the movie) in high esteem? It didn't get good reviews or do big box office. As far as I was concerned it was unremarkable except for a fantastic opening credits and the absolutely perfect casting of Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach
Personally, I did.
But Rich nailed exactly why the film doesn't hold up, I think, especially the long-ass Ultimate cut. I love the original material, and it's cool that so much of it was brought to the screen... but it feels... soulless.
IBJoel (01-09-20)
Old 01-09-20, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

It's a perfect example of being accurate to the letter, but not the spirit. Snyder's Randian views* are apparent (as they are in BvS) and he doesn't seem to get that Rorschach is not the hero of the story. His vision clashes with Moore's intent that these people are essentially ineffective at best and psychotic at worst. The only person who seems sane in the comic is Silk Spectre II, whereas Snyder's stylization makes everyone look cool and he only hints that Nite Owl II has a minor sexual hang-up as being the worst issue any of them have.

*Not intending to debate their merits, simply their existence and clash with the original story's intent.
Old 01-09-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,471 Likes on 935 Posts

I imagine that the coolness factor was caused by executive meddling. Who is going to convince the big bosses at Warner to make a superhero movie about a bunch of characters that nobody can identify with, one of whom doesn't even bathe?
Old 01-09-20, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I imagine that the coolness factor was caused by executive meddling. Who is going to convince the big bosses at Warner to make a superhero movie about a bunch of characters that nobody can identify with, one of whom doesn't even bathe?
I would agree, were it not for the rest of Snyder's ouvre. And he got his start directing music videos.
Old 01-09-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I like Watchmen, but I can see where people are coming from in that it pretty much is a direct adaptation of the graphic novel, and doesn’t add a lot to make it work as the best film.
IBJoel (01-10-20)
Old 01-09-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Out of 11 movies, Empire is the only one that is from beginning to end, a pretty great movie. Even the original doesn't hold up that well.
I will take umbrage with that. Star Wars may not be the best Star Wars movie overall but it has a tight plot and a story with a lot of momentum. There is an economy of storytelling and a satisfying end.
Most importantly, look at how much world-building is done. The sets, the costumes, the casting, the iconic score. It all works. Nobody would call The Philosopher's Stone the best Harry Potter book, but like Star Wars it does a remarkably great job at world building, setting up the chess board for later moves.

I won't argue that Empire is a better movie, but Star Wars was a real achievement, worthy of all the praise and success it had. Obviously that isn't the case for the PT or ST.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (01-10-20), tanman (01-12-20)
Old 01-09-20, 03:57 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Of course Star Wars is the better movie. Empire wouldn’t even exist if Star Wars didn’t hit it out of the park. And it most assuredly did. Great locations in the desert. A really great feel about everything on Tatooine. The great Alec Guinness. And it’s funny. There’s real laughs and joy in Star Wars. That’s something that is often overlooked. The genre hybridization is still astounding even today.
Old 01-10-20, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I found the Blu-ray for Poltergeist II and now want to sell it or give it away.

The special effects where they get zapped into that vortex or storm near the end is horrible.

The old guy Julian Beck was the only thing I remember about it and at the time I thought it was a scary movie.
Old 01-10-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think every John Woo directed American action movie has aged poorly. I used to like his style but now it all looks too ridiculously over-the-top.

Old 01-10-20, 01:37 PM
Banned

Face/Off holds up. The script was just the right amount of silly to marry with his style.
Old 01-10-20, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Face/Off holds up. The script was just the right amount of silly to marry with his style.
If by “right amount of silly” you mean so absurdly silly that it’s almost unwatchable then I agree with you.

Of course I’ve always thought Face/Off was too over the top to be enjoyable. I’ve also always preferred Broken Arrow over Face/Off because it wasn’t so ridiculous.
tanman (01-12-20)
Old 01-10-20, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I blind bought Face/Off a few years back because it was cheap. Maybe it’s because I didn’t see it initially, but yeah it’s pretty damn stupid. It’s not horrible to the point of being unwatchable, but I definitely wouldn’t call it a favorite either.
Old 01-10-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Face/Off is just 90's action excess with two of the biggest early 90's stars and just wallows in it all. I haven't seen it in ages but even back then it was corny as hell.

Braveheart is one of my favorite movies. Sad to see all the mentions.
Old 01-11-20, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

All this besmirching of Face/off needs to stop right now! This is a movie that has Nicolas Cage playing John Travolta playing Nicolas Cage and vice versa. It has a high security prison where the inmates wear magnet boots and are forced to listen to the calming sounds of nature. It has peak Gina Gershon in a weird, incest-y relationship with her brother. It's John Woo's only American movie that fully realizes his Hong Kong aesthetic before moving into full on self parody with MI2. And it had this scene:

We should be so lucky to get a movie like Face/off every once in a while, warts and all. But instead, I guess we get to enjoy sitting through the same Marvel movie every 3 months for the next 20 years.
Brack (01-11-20)
Old 01-11-20, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Batman Forever gets my vote. Back in 1995, I loved this film. I tried watching it last year and didn't even make it to the halfway point. I guess I didn't realize back then how silly and over the top the movie was compared to the Christopher Nolan films. Forever and Batman and Robin look and feel like a rehash of the 1966 Batman TV Show.
IBJoel (01-13-20)
Old 01-11-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Believe it or not , I actually once held the first American Pie movie in high regard when it was released in the summer of 1999. I think it was just because the style sex comedy I had watched on cable as a young teen had been missing for a long time and then this came out and recaptured the spirit. Going back to the early days of DVD, I remember getting this one close to when it came out. Because VHS was still the dominant brand at the time, many people in my apartment complex (housing mostly college students) came over to see my player and guess which movie everyone chose to watch time and time again? Two years later, I sold it.
Old 01-11-20, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
All this besmirching of Face/off needs to stop right now! This is a movie that has Nicolas Cage playing John Travolta playing Nicolas Cage and vice versa. It has a high security prison where the inmates wear magnet boots and are forced to listen to the calming sounds of nature. It has peak Gina Gershon in a weird, incest-y relationship with her brother. It's John Woo's only American movie that fully realizes his Hong Kong aesthetic before moving into full on self parody with MI2. And it had this scene:

https://youtu.be/PDnW5XxjwI8

We should be so lucky to get a movie like Face/off every once in a while, warts and all. But instead, I guess we get to enjoy sitting through the same Marvel movie every 3 months for the next 20 years.
Precisely. Well said.
Old 01-11-20, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

When I was much younger I thought Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey was better than Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. When I grew up I picked up on the more nuanced humor of Excellent Adventure and come to realize that Bogus Journey was a tad dumbed down and gimmicky (though still a solid movie).

Also, I held Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan as my favorite Trek movie. As I've gotten older, I much prefer the gentle humanity of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. (though Wrath is ultimately still the greatest Trek movie of all)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.