Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Eternals (2021, D: Zao)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Marvel's Eternals (2021, D: Zao)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Marvel's Eternals (2021, D: Zao)

OK, surely now that Chloe Zhao has cleaned up at the Oscars, we'll FINALLY get a trailer for this movie soon? Marvel has to be happy they can say "from Academy Award-winning director..."
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^Similarly to Thor Ragnarok (Also released on a November) the teaser trailer for that movie didn't appear until much later than expected. I guess this is just how Marvel handles their Fall releases.
IBJoel (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

Marvel just released the Shang-Chi trailer last week. I wouldn't expect them to start marketing Eternals any time soon.
Old 04-26-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah, Marvel still has two other movies and one or two TV shows to promote first.
Old 05-03-21, 03:05 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 05-03-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

That is exactly what I would expect an MCU movie from the director of Nomadland to look like.
mrsparkel (05-04-21)
Old 05-03-21, 03:16 PM

In conversation with Variety, Feige revealed that “Nomadland” wouldn’t have come out last year were it not for “Eternals” being delayed. He also discussed Zhao’s “signature style,” explained why working with Zhao is critical to the longevity of the MCU, and confirmed the actor who is playing what he calls the “lead” character in “Eternals.”

When Chloé approached Marvel to say she’s a fan and wanted to direct a Marvel movie, what was your reaction? And how quickly did you arrive at “Eternals” for her?

Well, my memory of events, which is always colored by our own experiences, of course, is that she first popped up for “Black Widow.” Brad Winderbaum, who is a producer on “Black Widow,” either had an initial meeting with her and then she was going to come back in and do a pitch meeting — but she took herself out of it. She she didn’t have the time, or she wasn’t ready yet, or maybe she was gone off to shoot or prep “Nomadland” — I don’t remember exactly.

These are the kind of filmmakers we want to work with, regardless of the size of the film they’ve done before. Unique voices, with unique things to say. And in her case, which is not always a prerequisite by any means, she was a giant fan, both of the MCU and of the comics fan and of the genre. Which watching her movies you wouldn’t necessarily guess. So it was neat that she let that be known.

And then later, Nate Moore was beginning to put his list together for filmmakers on “Eternals,” and she was been on the list for that reason: because we knew she was in our world. The two of them started working on something that they then brought to me, and it was an absolute spectacular pitch that Chloé put together. A presentation that Chloé put together about a very bold and very ambitious sprawling 7000-year story of humanity and our place in the cosmos.”

Chloé has such a distinct visual style. How will we see that translate into “Eternals”?

You’ll see it very directly. She had shot “Nomadland” before she had come to do “Eternals.” I knew that occasionally she would go by herself in her solar-powered van and drive to South Dakota to make this little movie she was working on. OK! That’s neat; that’s different, but OK.

What she talked about was really fighting for practical locations, for practical elements — yes, in a movie that is full of visual effects and characters with extraordinary powers, but doing as much as possible on far-flung locations. And that starts to reap benefits visually immediately.

We cut a little sample reel together, I remember, to show [Disney higher-ups]. And it was so beautiful, and I had to keep saying, “This is right out of a camera; there’s no VFX work to this at all!” Because it was a beautiful sunset, with perfect waves and mist coming up from the shore on this giant cliffside — really, really impressive stuff.

Then seeing “Nomadland” after we had shot “Eternals,” you go, “Oh! That is not just what she wanted to bring to Marvel, to get out of a virtual greenscreen world, which is often the case in our films. This is a signature style.” Of her, of our DP Ben [Davis], and of Josh [James Richards, “Nomadland’s” cinematographer].

“Eternals” expands the MCU in terms of representation, with its large international cast, its first LGBTQ superhero — I know some of those things are baked into the “Eternals,” but how many of those expansive ideas came from Chloé?

Well, the notion of switching up the genders, sexualities and ethnicities of the characters from the comics, was baked in initially — that was part of what Nate Moore was really advocating for in moving “Eternals” to the top of the list for us to start working on. What exactly the makeup was between when Nate put together his internal discussion document, which is how we always start on all of our projects, and what she came in and did, I don’t recall exactly.

When it came to casting, that also did affect it. There were some characters that we change from male to female, there were some characters that we knew how we were altering them from the books. But then also it came down to casting. So for Sersi, for instance — and if there was a lead in this ensemble, it is Sersi, it is Gemma Chan — we looked at and read all sorts of women for that part. And ended up really believing that Gemma was best for it. And thankfully, she’s proven that to be the case in the final movie.

So, of course, Chloé was a big part of that decision, and of every casting decision. Some of it was some of it was done beforehand, and that continued once she was on board as director.

How has Chloé changed how you approach future Marvel projects?

Well, I’m going to make a joke. And I’m sure you know this part: She initially was going to put “Nomadland” on the shelf until after “Eternals” was finished and released, and then come back to it. Because of our COVID shutdown, she decided to get her laptop out and, you know, finish up this little movie she was doing! And so yes, my joke is, let the filmmaker finish their passion projects when you have some downtime from your giant Marvel project, and suddenly they can make history at the Academy Awards. Knock on wood.

The real answer is, frankly, continuing what we’ve learned with all of the different types of filmmakers that we have used. When you get people with unique points of views, regardless of the size of film they’ve done in the past, and empower them and surround them with the great artists and technicians that can bring spectacle, that can bring the visuals that a Marvel movie requires, they can take you to places you’ve never gone before. And I think you’ve seen that with all of the filmmakers that we’ve worked with, and particularly the filmmakers who have done smaller, more personal things before agreeing to come on board the MCU.

And Chloé is probably the best example of that. Not just because of the work that she’s done, but just her entire story, her backstory. And how she looks at the world is very unique, and that’s what you want in your storytellers and your filmmakers as we’re approaching our 30th MCU movie, and we just wrapped our seventh or eighth Disney Plus series.

I’m in my 20-plus years at Marvel. We only want to keep doing this so that we can keep evolving it and changing it and growing it, and doing things we hadn’t done before. And that’s what many filmmakers like Chloé for. Not just for Marvel, by the way, but for the business — and for the theatrical business, and for the quote unquote blockbuster business.

You want those filmmakers coming in and continuing to evolve and adapt what it means for genre film — or certainly for Marvel Studios film.
Old 05-03-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I know it's just 5 stills, but is anyone else getting Inhumans vibes from them?

I don't think it's going to be like Inhumans at all (or at least I hope it's not), but that's what I see when I look at these.

It can't be just me, right?

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 05-04-21 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-03-21, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I know it's just 5 stills, but is anyone else getting Inumans vibes from them?

I don't think it's going to be like Inhumans at all (or at least I hope it's not), but that's what I see when I look at these.

Its can't be just me, right?
No.
Old 05-03-21, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Robb Stark looks weird wearing a Gap T-shirt out in the forest.
Old 05-03-21, 07:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Winter was a long way from coming. He understood that.
Old 05-03-21, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Robb Stark looks weird wearing a Gap T-shirt out in the forest.
The last time he dressed up was for a wedding. It didn’t turn out so great for him.
Old 05-04-21, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I never liked The Eternals comic book. I thumbed through it in the 70's and 80's, but the characters just struck me as stiff and lacking in personality.

I may still see the movie (it's Marvel), but I may also skip it. I'll wait to decide until I read the reviews and hear the word of mouth.
Old 05-04-21, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I know it's just 5 stills, but is anyone else getting Inumans vibes from them?

Yes, but I think it just comes from the fact that they're in human form (no pun intended... OK, maybe a little bit) and there are "minimal" effects shots.
Old 05-04-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Yes, but I think it just comes from the fact that they're in human form (no pun intended... OK, maybe a little bit) and there are "minimal" effects shots.
Wouldn't be the first time they hid something for later in a shot.

IBJoel (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I know it's just 5 stills, but is anyone else getting Inhumans vibes from them?

Do not curse this project.

But yeah, both of them are basically Kirby creations who are supposed to be evolutionary offshoots of mankind from the meddling of outside forces, so even as a kid I would get them confused (and considered both to be inferior to the DC New Gods).

But there is no way in heck that this will be as bad as Inhumans. It may not be great, but it would have to sink to a new level to get to that level. I mean they cut the hair of the character who's powers revolve around her hair, to save money. Ugh.
Deftones (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Even the worst MCU movie is entertaining. This won't be Inhumans, even it's the new worst MCU movie.
Old 05-24-21, 08:08 AM

Last edited by dex14; 05-24-21 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-24-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I've been reading comics for over 30 years and I know nothing about Eternals. But in Marvel we trust.
Old 05-24-21, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Thanks for that last line to remind us that this is an MCU movie.
Old 05-24-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t have a lot to say about it I guess. Not really sure what it’s supposed to be about or have any idea about who the characters are. It looks nice visually, but I just don’t really care.

Between this and Shang-Chi so far Phase Four isn’t doing a lot for me. My opinion is these two movies should have released in separate years sandwiched between more known Marvel characters/franchises.
Old 05-24-21, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I've been reading comics for over 30 years and I know nothing about Eternals. But in Marvel we trust.
Originally Posted by Decker
Thanks for that last line to remind us that this is an MCU movie.
Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t have a lot to say about it I guess. Not really sure what it’s supposed to be about or have any idea about who the characters are. It looks nice visually, but I just don’t really care.

Between this and Shang-Chi so far Phase Four isn’t doing a lot for me. My opinion is these two movies should have released in separate years sandwiched between more known Marvel characters/franchises.
And that's the thing. If the name "Marvel" wasn't attached to this, there would not be significant interest. I'm sure it will be well written, directed (not sure about acted with that cast), and shot, but as a Marvel movie, meh. When it hits D+ for free I'll watch this and Shang Chi while I clean my basement.
spainlinx0 (05-26-21)
Old 05-24-21, 10:02 AM
Cool New Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Why is Chloe Zhao listed twice as a writer on the official poster?
Old 05-24-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Well, I like the Eternals, and the scope of the characters (I am a gigantic comic nerd). I would have preferred they do Inhumans but that ship has sailed.

Might as well do this before they unleash the FF and X-men, I guess.
Old 05-24-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

The original plan was that Eternals was to be released in 2020 with Black Widow and 2021 would feature Shang Chi, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, and Thor. Then COVID happened.

We're still getting Spider-Man this year, but Dr. Strange and Thor have been pushed back to 2022 (with Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2)

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 05-24-21 at 10:46 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.