Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Eternals (2021, D: Zao)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-12-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 303 Likes on 217 Posts

Rumors that Marvel is going to announce an Eternals movie in near future.
Old 05-15-18, 06:28 PM

Received 1,054 Likes on 717 Posts
The Eternals (D: Zao)

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Rumors that Marvel is going to announce an Eternals movie in near future.
Yup...

Marvel Studios has pinned its next potential franchise, the Jack Kirby-created title The Eternals, and is moving ahead with development.

The studio behind Avengers: Infinity War has hired writers Matthew and Ryan Firpo, whose spec script Ruin shot to the top of the 2017 Black List, to pen the script for the superhero team adventure.

In comics lore, the saga of the Eternals began millions of years ago when the cosmic beings known as the Celestials genetically experimented on humans, creating the super-powered and near-immortal beings and a more monstrous off-shoot known as the Deviants. The two races moved behind the scenes throughout human history while also engaging in Game of Thrones-style cosmic powerplays.

Among the characters are Ikaris, fueled by cosmic energy; Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans; and Thena, often mistaken for the Greek goddess Athena.

Kirby created the title in 1976 during his cosmic hero stage and influenced by such as works as Chariots of the Gods, which explored ancient gods as aliens. The comic was his part of his second sojourn at Marvel, which he had left in 1970 and done the then-unthinkable, moved to rival DC Comics.

The Firpos are best known for writing Ruin, a spec script that shot to the top of the 2017 Black List. Even before that, the project was emanating enough heat that it attracted Gal Gadot and got set up at Marc Butanís MadRiver Pictures.

Ruin tells of an ex-Nazi captain who, to atone for his crimes, hunts down and kills the members of his former SS squad.

The Firpos are repped by UTA and LBI Entertainment.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1112084
Old 05-15-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 547 Likes on 401 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I'm really *meh* on The Eternals.

Just seems like Marvel has dozens of more interesting properties they could develop, especially if they get FF and X-Men back.
Old 05-15-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I'm really *meh* on The Eternals.

Just seems like Marvel has dozens of more interesting properties they could develop, especially if they get FF and X-Men back.
I assume they can't just sit back and assume they get the rights back with a Fox deal, in case something falls through. Basically not putting all their eggs in one basket.
Old 05-17-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm all in for an Eternals movie. Love me some Cosmic Marvel. I was really glad the overall storyline for the entire MCU was cosmic oriented. Saw a rumor that
Spoiler:
the Living Tribunal
might be in Avengers 4. Can't wait!

What I'm not looking forward to is seeing the entire MCU turned into supporting characters for Wolverine when the X-properties finally come to Marvel Studios.
Old 09-21-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 178 Likes on 121 Posts
The Eternals (D: Zao)

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
SEPTEMBER 21, 2018 11:00am PT by Borys Kit

Marvel Studios' 'The Eternals' Finds Its Director With Chloe Zhao
Matthew and Ryan Firpo, whose spec script 'Ruin' topped the 2017 Black List, wrote the screenplay for the superhero team adventure.

Chloe Zhao has nabbed the gig to direct Marvelís next potential franchise, the Jack Kirby-created title The Eternals.

Matthew and Ryan Firpo, whose spec script Ruin topped the 2017 Black List, penned the script for the superhero team adventure.

The project features the super-powered and near-immortal beings known as Eternals and a more monstrous off-shoot known as the Deviants that were created by cosmic beings known as Celestials.

Kirby created the title in 1976 during his cosmic hero stage and was influenced by such works as Chariots of the Gods, which explored ancient gods as aliens.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that one aspect to the story involves the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans.

The project also allows Marvel to assemble a diverse cast of various shapes and sizes.

The director search for Eternals narrowed in the last few weeks of summer, with a shortlist consisting of Watchmen pilot helmer Nicole Kassell, Travis Knight (Bumblebee, Kubo and the Two Strings), as well as Cristina Gallego and Ciro Guerra, the duo behind Colombian movie Birds of Passage.

Chinese-born Zhao was already well-known to Marvel as she went down the road with the company on Black Widow, the standalone featuring Scarlett Johansson's spy heroine. That gig ultimately went to Cate Shortland.

Eternals is a big opportunity for WME-repped Zhao who will be going from the settings of Native American reservations and American Heartland from her indie festival darlings The Rider and Songs My Brothers Taught Me to the epic global, if not intergalactic, scale of this Marvel project.

Marvel had no comment.
Old 09-21-18, 01:56 PM

re: Marvel's Eternals (2021, D: Zao)

The Rider was pretty good.
Old 03-27-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 178 Likes on 121 Posts

MARCH 27, 2019 4:26pm PT by Mia Galuppo
Angelina Jolie in Talks to Make Marvel Debut With 'The Eternals' (Exclusive)

Jolie is doing superheroes.

Angelina Jolie is getting ready to make her first foray into the world of superhero movies.

The Oscar-winning actress is in talks to star in Marvel Studios' The Eternals, a superhero team adventure feature being directed by Chloe Zhao.

Jolie has chosen the Marvel project based on the Jack Kirby-created title about superpowered and near-immortal beings known as Eternals and a more monstrous offshoot known as the Deviants that were created by the cosmic beings called Celestials.

While details about the movie are being kept under wraps, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that one aspect to the story involves the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans. It is unclear who Jolie will play. Marvel had no comment.

Zhao, an award-winning indie director behind the critical hits The Rider and Songs My Brothers Taught Me, will helm from a script by Matthew and Ryan Firpo.

While this will be Jolie’s first superhero movie, it is not her first comic book movie— she starred in the 2007 adaptation of Mark Millar’s Wanted.

Jolie is currently working with Marvel's parent company Disney on the upcoming Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, which was recently moved up to a release date this fall from spring 2020, and on the animation/live-action hybrid The One and Only Ivan, which she is also producing. The actress' upcoming projects also include Come Away, a fantasy drama from Brenda Chapman.

Jolie is repped by UTA and Sloane Offer.
Old 03-27-19, 09:20 PM

Interesting. She does seem right for the material.
Old 03-27-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Jolie would make a terrific Sersi. Iíve been rereading the original Kirby comics lately and the movie could be amazing if it has that same insane cosmic feel. The post-Kirby Eternals have been kind of meh though.
Old 03-30-19, 02:52 PM

I wonder if she is cast if they will try and shoot an end credits scene for Endgame.
Old 04-05-19, 03:05 PM

Old 04-21-19, 11:16 AM

South Korean actor Ma Dong-seok, also known as Don Lee, will make his American film debut in Marvel Studios’ “The Eternals,” which focuses on a group of ancient human beings, an individual with knowledge of the project exclusively told TheWrap.
https://www.thewrap.com/marvel-studi...-the-eternals/
Old 04-21-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 196 Posts

This one is going to be a complete surprise for me, I've never read any Eternals comics, I have zero knowledge of the characters involved. For the first time, I'll be attending a Marvel movie as if I were a non-comic reading of the general public. I'm kind of excited about that really, everything will be new to me.
Old 05-07-19, 02:04 PM

“Game of Thrones” and “Bodyguard” star Richard Madden is in talks to join Marvel’s “The Eternals.”

Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani are also on board. Marvel declined to comment on the casting.

Madden will be playing Ikaris, a member of the human offshoot race known as the Eternals.

Created by Jack Kirby in 1976, the comic book is set millions of years ago when the cosmic beings known as the Celestials genetically experimented on humans to create super-powered individuals known as the Eternals, along with the villainous Deviants. The two groups battled each other throughout history. The Eternals also warred with Greek, Roman and Norse deities before leaving Earth to explore the stars.

Chloe Zhao, whose helming credits include “The Rider” and “Songs My Brothers Taught Me,” is directing “The Eternals” from a script by Matthew and Ryan Firpo. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige is producing.

More to come.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/r...xN4XRGDxQXQtAA
Old 05-08-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

That gray streak in his hair made me realize Madden could have made a good Reed Richards.
Old 05-18-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
That gray streak in his hair made me realize Madden could have made a good Reed Richards.
If this were a DC movie, they would probably try to retcon the FF as Eternals.
Old 06-27-19, 08:02 AM

Salma Hayek in Early Talks to Join Marvel's 'The Eternals'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...03funtaq9iY6Cw
Old 07-10-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Millie Bobbi Brown cast in the movie
Old 07-20-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 07-20-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like 2020 is going to be a pretty meh year for Marvel and then cram a bunch of content in 2021.
Old 07-21-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Salma Hayek in Early Talks to Join Marvel's 'The Eternals'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...03funtaq9iY6Cw
I donít know how big of a role it will be but Iím just glad to see her be part of the MCU.
Old 07-21-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Looks like 2020 is going to be a pretty meh year for Marvel and then cram a bunch of content in 2021.

It's the pause that refreshes
Old 07-21-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

So is MBB actually in the cast or not?
Old 08-05-19, 05:20 PM

“Crazy Rich Asians” star Gemma Chan is in talks to join Marvel’s “The Eternals” sources tell Variety.

Chan would join previously announced cast members Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek and Kumail Nanjiani. Earlier this year, Chan portrayed Minn-Erva in “Captain Marvel,” but its unknown if she will be playing the same role in “The Eternals.” Some sources have indicated that her part in “The Eternals” would be a completely different role, which if true, would mark one of the first times a star will have played two different characters in the same cinematic universe.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/g...el-1203290315/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.