Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Don't they still look at daily rushes to avoid issues and change shit if it's not working?
Old 08-06-22, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
but Batgirl stars a POC and also has a transgender actor/character and it's the one getting the boot.
That they don't give a rip about the twitterati bitching about those made up issues is exactly why I'm excited by this move. They aren't going to shovel crap like this film out to the audience, lose money and hurt the brand. I love it!
The following users liked this post:
bchbdaddy (08-06-22)
Old 08-06-22, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
That they don't give a rip about the twitterati bitching about those made up issues is exactly why I'm excited by this move. They aren't going to shovel crap like this film out to the audience, lose money and hurt the brand. I love it!
Don’t worry…we get it.
Artman (08-07-22)
Old 08-06-22, 09:11 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Yeah, I don’t know of any shows that spent that kind of money only to never it see the light of day. That’s like of like Game of Thrones being shot but never aired. But I’m sure Gizmo can provide a long and distinguished list of shows that went that way.
Shows with 6/8/13 episode seasons just never air. That is money sunk in. You want me to try and prove they were $90 million? Who cares about the price. Why is it OK to do it to TV but not to a 2 hour straight to TV Movie? So much outrage when this happens all the time in other entertainment medium.

You are stuck on some price tag. What if the movie was $30mil, the cost of an average show on TV? Looking at the costume and reading the reviews, this was a CW pilot.
Old 08-06-22, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,104 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Shows with 6/8/13 episode seasons just never air. That is money sunk in. You want me to try and prove they were $90 million? Who cares about the price. Why is it OK to do it to TV but not to a 2 hour straight to TV Movie? So much outrage when this happens all the time in other entertainment medium.

You are stuck on some price tag. What if the movie was $30mil, the cost of an average show on TV? Looking at the costume and reading the reviews, this was a CW pilot.
I love how you never accept that you were just mistaken about something.

You asked why people were making such a big deal about this, and you got your answer: the $90 million price tag.

They spent 90 million dollars, had the film in some kind of completed state, and dumped it. And they know that even if it was a steaming pile of shit, because it's a DC superhero movie, it would have made back more than it's budget at the box office. Plus merchandising!

Right now, some of the most expensive TV shows being made are the MCU dramas that (reportedly) cost upwards of $25 million per episode. And Disney has very high confidence that those shows are drawing subscribers to Disney+ and feed content and interest into the MCU movies that earn hundreds of millions (sometimes a billion) of dollars at the box office. Plus merchandising!

This does not happen all the time, as you claim, and TV shows don't cost what you think. And they don't have merchandising!

Yellowstone costs $8 million per episode and 1883 costs $10 million, and those are considered very expensive for TV dramas that are not reliant on lots of fantasy action and FX. Virgin River costs $3 million per episode.

E Unit (08-08-22)
Old 08-06-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
LOL, I guess now is the time to start coming up with a plan, even if they need to replicate the MCU.

https://twitter.com/thr/status/15553...Lo0A5rmVNoK6gg
Everyone has a ten-year plan until the first movie comes out and totally bombs. I think this was a statement meant to temporarily appease Wall Street more than anything else.

IBJoel (08-08-22)
Old 08-07-22, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Stargirl is a show that many seem to enjoy a lot.
I guess less than a million viewers is "a lot" for a summer show.
Old 08-07-22, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
And they know that even if it was a steaming pile of shit, because it's a DC superhero movie, it would have made back more than it's budget at the box office.
Wonder Woman 1984 didn't.
Old 08-07-22, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yeah let's use a movie released during the height of the pandemic and also simultaneously on HBO Max as an example.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deftones:
DJariya (08-07-22), IBJoel (08-08-22)
Old 08-07-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

yeah not a good comparison. WW84 was released when the vast majority of theaters were closed worldwide. And they decided they couldn't postpone it any longer. It was already in the can almost 2 years. It was fucked financially regardless of reviews.

If it was released this summer, it would have made money.
Old 08-07-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool

IBJoel (08-08-22)
Old 08-07-22, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,249 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Do folks not realize this is an entirely new group of people in charge? They aren't the ones that gave Zach Snyder a blank check and got screwed over for ten yrs because of it. There's a time and place for auteur director freedom when they've earned it (such as Phillips and Reeves) but other than those rare exceptions, you need a studio that plays a much more active role in monitoring these films development.
That is actually what my issue is, Art. This whole DC thing, going way back, has been a series of “My toys now, my sandbox now” decisions that seem to be made by changing executive regimes that really don’t give a shit about anything more than erasing what the last guy did.

DC has long been criticized for having no plan (ala early Marvel) and this endless parade of buyouts and corporate overlords have only done increasingly more damage.

I can’t say I disagree with some of the things being said or the decisions being made, but the tone continues to reek of the stench of the past.
Old 08-07-22, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That is actually what my issue is, Art. This whole DC thing, going way back, has been a series of “My toys now, my sandbox now” decisions that seem to be made by changing executive regimes that really don’t give a shit about anything more than erasing what the last guy did.

DC has long been criticized for having no plan (ala early Marvel) and this endless parade of buyouts and corporate overlords have only done increasingly more damage.

I can’t say I disagree with some of the things being said or the decisions being made, but the tone continues to reek of the stench of the past.
I have mixed feelings about this whole cancellation. On the one hand, I was already worried when the director's were announced (I hated Bad Boys for Life and was only mildly interested because of Keaton). But this cancellation has a "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" vibe.
Old 08-08-22, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,265 Likes on 4,283 Posts

Thought this post from Jeffery Wells, a Hollywood blogger I’ve followed for decades, was interesting :

Seasoned directorwriter friendo: “I’ve heard from [a post-production guy] that the low Batgirl test scores are accurate and that it’s basically not releasable. Quote: ’It makes Catwoman with Halle Berryseem like Abel Gance’s Napoleon.Kevin Smith and others are castigating David Zaslav for this, but a stinker is a stinker.”

Followup: “The source works where they transferred and uploaded a digital internal workprint for online viewing. It was the same version that was test-screened…[he] had heard it hadn’t gone well and knew why.

“There were a copious amount of ‘scene missings’ and incomplete or vacant opticals, but [he] said it plays like a long unsold pilot for the CW.”

Old 08-08-22, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Quote: ’It makes Catwoman with Halle Berryseem like Abel Gance’s Napoleon.
Like anyone interested in Batgirl would even know of the Napoleon movie much less Napoleon himself. Outside of snippets I never had a desire to watch the whole damn movie.
Old 08-08-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Like anyone interested in Batgirl would even know of the Napoleon movie much less Napoleon himself. Outside of snippets I never had a desire to watch the whole damn movie.
That person has never seen Citizen Kane or The Godfather or even The Dark Knight, so those references were not available to them.
Old 08-08-22, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,265 Likes on 4,283 Posts

Yeah it was a real film snob comment. But if he thought the film was utter shit, that might be worth considering.
Old 08-08-22, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Catwoman was released in 2004 when we still didn't know how to make comic book movies. It is incredible to me that 18 years later, a film could actually near completion without people who have all seen great comic book movies since then raising their hands and going "this isn't working".

Can I get a lucrative job in Hollywood that is just me and a red pen, fixing scripts? I've wanted to do this since Attack of the Clones, where every other word out of Hayden Christensen's mouth is either "master" or "m'lady". I guarantee I could fix some of this shit. And if I can do it, the people actually working on the film should definitely be able to do it.
Old 08-08-22, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 694 Posts

All I'm seeing from that comment above is that a digital workprint exists.

The following 2 users liked this post by Noonan:
DaveyJoe (08-08-22), IBJoel (08-08-22)
Old 08-08-22, 01:48 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

What the fuck does pothead Kevin Smith have to say about any of this? “ my shitty movies get released so why not Batgirl” or “sell it as a shitty nft”

People need to stop quoting him like he’s a fucking expert. Put the joint down and put out a good movie.
Old 08-08-22, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
What the fuck does pothead Kevin Smith have to say about any of this? “ my shitty movies get released so why not Batgirl” or “sell it as a shitty nft”

People need to stop quoting him like he’s a fucking expert. Put the joint down and put out a good movie.
Because he is a highly successful comic book writer (including Batman comics) and comic book store owner in addition to a comic-centric movie maker.
IBJoel (08-10-22)
Old 08-08-22, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 694 Posts

Good lord. Where did Kevin Smith hurt you?
The following 2 users liked this post by Noonan:
cultshock (08-10-22), IBJoel (08-10-22)
Old 08-08-22, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Saying Batgirl was shitty sounds a lot better and Fanboy acceptable than "We wasted 90mil for Tax Reasons". It also also spreads easier on Social Media.
The following 2 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
IBJoel (08-10-22), Ted Todorov (08-16-22)
Old 08-08-22, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
pic
Glad we agree.
Old 08-08-22, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Thought this post from Jeffery Wells, a Hollywood blogger I’ve followed for decades, was interesting :

Seasoned directorwriter friendo: “I’ve heard from [a post-production guy] that the low Batgirl test scores are accurate and that it’s basically not releasable. Quote: ’It makes Catwoman with Halle Berryseem like Abel Gance’s Napoleon.Kevin Smith and others are castigating David Zaslav for this, but a stinker is a stinker.”

Followup: “The source works where they transferred and uploaded a digital internal workprint for online viewing. It was the same version that was test-screened…[he] had heard it hadn’t gone well and knew why.

“There were a copious amount of ‘scene missings’ and incomplete or vacant opticals, but [he] said it plays like a long unsold pilot for the CW.”
Someone I trust told me one test score for Batgirl was in the 30s. Now test scores aren't always indicative due to the random audiences they use, but even garbage movies usually land in the 50s or 60s.

Almost the entire plot has been leaked. I think painting the cancellation solely as a tax write-off is a small favor to the creative talent involved.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.