Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 10:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Whoa - The Dark Knight Returns? Directed by Nolan? How’s the BS ranking on this rumor?

https://screenrant.com/dceu-reboot-n...returns-movie/
Old 08-09-22, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Whoa - The Dark Knight Returns? Directed by Nolan? How’s the BS ranking on this rumor?

Thats not a rumor that’s just Screenrant throwing stuff on a wall to see if it sticks.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 11:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ah, so the BS scale at a 10.
Old 08-10-22, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

I have heard of a possible Dark Knight Returns. It would be a completely standalone movie with no ties to prior movies.

However, no chance Nolan directs it. That's just a clickbait suggestion.
Old 08-10-22, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Jeffrey Wells is mentally ill.
Old 08-10-22, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Does say at the bottom of the article:

The problem with Warner Bros making The Dark Knight 4 is chiefly that Christopher Nolan simply isn’t interested in making another sequel. As Christian Bale revealed, “Chris had always said to me that if we were fortunate to be able to make three we would stop. ‘Let’s walk away after that.'” The former Batman actor confirmed that Nolan wanted to avoid stretching too far and becoming overindulgent with a fourth movie. That sentiment would not be shared by those who believe that both John Blake and Bruce Wayne’s stories in that universe have further to go, but Nolan himself sees is differently. The handing of the torch to Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s Blake wasn’t meant to be the start of a chapter anyone would get to see, it was a symbolic end. Convincing Nolan to go back on that resolve would require a story that didn’t bloat the trilogy, that didn’t compromise the ending, and that offered enough creative freedom to make reservations a redundant.
Old 08-10-22, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

^ I have no expectations whatsoever that Nolan would do a fourth movie BUT despite what he’s said previously, if you throw enough money at him, get Bale and Gordon-Levitt on board and allow enough time to pass so as not to follow too closely in the footsteps on TDKR, then I can see him coming back.

That quote gives me the sense that Nolan just didn’t want I continue churning out Batman movies after the first three just to make Batman movies. Waiting 10+ years for another one seems like something Nolan may be interested in.

Also, I’m not sure how Nolan, himself, feels about The Dark Knight Rises but it isn’t particularly great and could only benefit from having another movie following it.
Old 08-10-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Rises was the Dark knight Returns. And Knightfall. And No Man's Land
IBJoel (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

DC needs to get away from Nolan's influence. Zach Snyder took that and ran with it to a darker and more dour place, and DC movies were mostly shit cuz of it.
Laertes (08-15-22)
Old 08-10-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I love how you never accept that you were just mistaken about something.

You asked why people were making such a big deal about this, and you got your answer: the $90 million price tag.

They spent 90 million dollars, had the film in some kind of completed state, and dumped it. And they know that even if it was a steaming pile of shit, because it's a DC superhero movie, it would have made back more than it's budget at the box office. Plus merchandising!

Right now, some of the most expensive TV shows being made are the MCU dramas that (reportedly) cost upwards of $25 million per episode. And Disney has very high confidence that those shows are drawing subscribers to Disney+ and feed content and interest into the MCU movies that earn hundreds of millions (sometimes a billion) of dollars at the box office. Plus merchandising!

This does not happen all the time, as you claim, and TV shows don't cost what you think. And they don't have merchandising!

Yellowstone costs $8 million per episode and 1883 costs $10 million, and those are considered very expensive for TV dramas that are not reliant on lots of fantasy action and FX. Virgin River costs $3 million per episode.
This also isn't like a "let's all pile onto DC cinema" thing.

If Disney did the same thing with a Star Wars or Marvel movie or even TV show, there'd be a similar uproar. This has more visibility because it's geek stuff, of course.
Old 08-10-22, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I have heard of a possible Dark Knight Returns. It would be a completely standalone movie with no ties to prior movies.

However, no chance Nolan directs it. That's just a clickbait suggestion.
Let Frank Miller direct it, he wrote and pencilled the comic, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 08-14-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm so sick of The Dark Knight Returns. I love it. Read it when it came out, month-to-month (along with Watchmen), 1986 was a pivotal year for DC fans. It redefined Batman not only for a generation but for generations afterward. It was monumental.

But it's been done. What I'd give to see a solid hybrid take on Batman that embraced both the vigilante of the night with pure comicbookery fun. Again, I think the Arkham City videogames got it right.
Old 08-14-22, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Despite recognizing it as one of the most popular and iconic stories I’ve personally never really liked The Dark Knight Returns all that much. There are many other Batman stories I’d place above it.
TheMovieman (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Despite recognizing it as one of the most popular and iconic stories I’ve personally never really liked The Dark Knight Returns all that much. There are many other Batman stories I’d place above it.
TDKR has to recognized for its importance at the time.

I remember reading an article about it in Rolling Stone about a month or two before the first issue was published. I really didn't know who Frank Miller was, although I had been reading comics monthly for a few years (I was 15). And wow that was an eye-opener. Miller really understood the character better than many at the time. He just extended Batman's trajectory past 1986 into an extraordinary and entirely logical future.

There was nothing else really like it before, and TDKR redesigned, redefined, and shaped the character from that moment forward. Without betraying any of its core concepts.

The problem is, just like Watchmen, people got the wrong message from it.

Publishers overnight felt readers wanted adult, gritty, "deconstructionist" comics. And maybe they did, to an extent; the Indies were taking comics and superhero tales into newer, more mature directions. Why not the majors? Hence the grim-n-gritty Hawkworld, Longbow Hunter, even a more "mature" Shazam! title.

I think it's safe to say there would have been no Vertigo label without TDKR and Watchmen proving that "mature" titles could sell, bring in prestige and media attention, and elevating comics as a (pop) art form. DC had been doing "mature" comics before (Alan Moore's Swamp Thing never gets its due) but they never got anything close to this level of attention.

Of course taking "gritty realism" to superhero comics landed us in 90s Image territory which completely lost the message but... shit I went full taffer again.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
Cellar Door (08-15-22), cultshock (08-15-22), IBJoel (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm so sick of The Dark Knight Returns. I love it. Read it when it came out, month-to-month (along with Watchmen), 1986 was a pivotal year for DC fans. It redefined Batman not only for a generation but for generations afterward. It was monumental.

But it's been done. What I'd give to see a solid hybrid take on Batman that embraced both the vigilante of the night with pure comicbookery fun. Again, I think the Arkham City videogames got it right.
Agreed. I was a fan of Miller since his Daredevil days, when he switched to DC and did Ronin I was a little disappointed, it didn't really work for me, but when he followed that up with Dark Knight Returns I thought "Wow, this is more like it", but yeah all these years later I'm a bit sick of it now. I still love Watchmen (like you I was buying and reading the issues as they came out monthly) and enjoy rereading it from time to time. But you are correct about the "grittiness" that seemed to infect most comics after the success of those two series, it got to be too much and I was pretty well done with monthly comics by 1990.

Hokeyboy (08-15-22)
Old 08-24-22, 06:21 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Batgirl won’t be flying onto HBO Max screens, but a select group of insiders is getting to see the film during secret screenings on the Warner Bros. lot this week, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. They are said to be for people who worked on the movie, both cast and crew, as well as representatives and executives.

One source described them as “funeral screenings,” held before the film is sent off to an undisclosed afterlife, with footage locked away in a vault, either physical or digital.

On Aug. 2, Batgirl became the most talked-about film in the world when news broke that new Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav had opted to scrap the $90 million DC film in order to take a tax write-down. (The CEO of the newly merged company is seeking $3 billion in cost savings.)

Batgirl was deep in postproduction when Warners canceled the project but was still far from complete, with temp visual effects and score. The film had previously held a single test screening, the only time members of the public saw a cut.

One question swirling around Batgirl is whether it could become the next Zack Snyder’s Justice League, an abandoned film that later sees the light of day. But Batgirl is different for multiple reasons, sources note. Justice League was not a tax write-down for the studio. It was released in theaters, and there was no legal reason an alternate version could not exist down the road. If the studio were to release Batgirl, it would run afoul of rules that allow Warner Bros. Discovery to claim a tax-write down.

What’s more, filmmakers Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah say they do not personally have access to any footage, though sources say it’s possible some players connected to the project may have footage on personal drives. In contrast, when Snyder left Justice League in the spring of 2017, he departed the Warners lot with a laptop containing a rough, four-hour cut of the film, one he later would complete after a years-long campaign from fans demanding to see his version of the film.

Generally, a studio will not get the full tax write-down immediately on a money-losing project, but rather will get a certain percentage right away and the rest over a period of years. That’s because it’s unclear how much a project might make (or lose) over its lifetime as it hits cable and other platforms.

Several sources suggested that Warners might make the drastic move of actually destroying its Batgirl footage as a way to demonstrate to the IRS that there will never be any revenue from the project, and thus it should be entitled to the full write-down immediately. Other sources dispute that notion, noting that there are other projects that still have footage locked away that will never see the light of day, such as HBO’s first Game of Thrones spinoff pilot, Bloodmoon, an hour of television that not even author George R.R. Martin has seen. There is also the possibility that Warners could, down the road, decide Batgirl is worth releasing and pay back the government its tax liability.

Leslie Grace starred as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl in the film, which was supposed to be one of several modestly budgeted DC projects made directly for HBO Max as part of former WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar’s push to juice the streaming service. Zaslav, who took the reins of the combined company in April, has reversed that strategy and is pushing Warners back to a focus on theatrical first.

While Batgirl has nabbed the most attention for being killed, it wasn’t the only film that fell victim to Zaslav’s tax write-down strategy.

Scoob! Holiday Haunt, another nearly completed film that was canceled the same day as Batgirl, quietly had its own funeral screening on the Warners lot last week.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...gs-1235205323/
Old 08-24-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

This movie is going to reach mythical status.
Spiderbite (08-26-22)
Old 08-24-22, 08:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

I bet all official copies in Warners' property have to be destroyed. That's usually how tax write-offs like that work. But I really do hope a copy leaks online... someday.
Old 08-24-22, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I bet all official copies in Warners' property have to be destroyed. That's usually how tax write-offs like that work. But I really do hope a copy leaks online... someday.
This is going to leak, how can it not? Maybe in a decade, but it will.
Old 08-25-22, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
This is going to leak, how can it not? Maybe in a decade, but it will.
Now everybody has a reason to try to stay alive until 2032.
Old 08-26-22, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

From Bleeding Cool:

Star Ivory Aquino posted a heartfelt plea on behalf of the movie.

A letter to #DavidZaslav @WBD

Dear Mr. Zaslav,

I just read an article @THR about supposed 'funeral screenings' of #Batgirl and the possibility afterwards that the film footage would be destroyed.. if this is the case, as one of many who poured our hearts into the making of this movie, I ask that this measure be reconsidered.

As much as I've tried my best to be strong these past few weeks, I'd find myself crying, for lack of a better term, from grief, and tonight was one of those nights. As much as Batgirl has been labeled a woke film, it simply came together that way because of writing that reflects the world we live in. For me, more than anything, it is a father-daughter story which hits close to home as my Dad passed a year ago, shortly before I booked this project, and I was hoping it would resonate with other children around the world, grown and not-so-grown, who hold their fathers in the highest esteem and who could see Batgirl as a story of that special bond.

I've found myself not being able to talk about this ordeal with anyone. I realized that no one, apart from those involved with the film, would truly understand what we're feeling. And talking about it with my castmates, I feel, might be akin to rubbing salt on a still-open wound. My heart goes out to @LeslieGraceand our beloved directors and entire crew & cast who spent months dedicating their all to this endeavor. Leslie checked in on me the day we found out of the shelving and only had words of comfort and support. I've dared not ask since if she's spent nights holding back tears like I have because she has had to be the face of our Batgirl family and has had to put on a brave face as a way of taking care of us the way she gracefully steered our film.

Tonight I finally got to talk with a dear friend here about these intense feelings who shared with me an anecdote which helped provide inspiration for this letter to you. They said the head of a company is like one large cog atop increasingly smaller cogs underneath. One seemingly small movement by this large cog may seem relatively tiny, but for those little cogs at the bottom, they can be spinning ten-fold and the effects can be seismic. I can only endeavor to understand how one feels when tasked with tending to the bottom line like you have. I can't even begin to imagine what one in your position goes through having such great responsibility to attend to. I do know and ask, with something like Batgirl that's a product of our hearts and souls, that the little cogs not simply be seen as widgets whose fates are determined by an equation to benefit the bottom line. More than widgets, we are fellow human beings and artists who, when given the chance, can outperform the equation and multiply the bottom line exponentially.

If a month ago, there wasn't a marketing budget for Batgirl, I'd venture to say that that has been taken care of by the turn of events these past few weeks. We've been fortunate to have such amazing supporters since the beginning, from Glasgow where we filmed and from all over the world. Now, more people know about our labor of love and are eager to see the movie. I do hope you get to read this letter. Consider releasing Batgirl. She's always been an underdog and has nowhere to go but up.
Old 08-26-22, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I mean, to be honest, I have MORE interest now in seeing it and I gather there's a bunch of folks who'd go to theatre to check it out with the "I have to see how bad it is" attitude.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 08-26-22 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-26-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I have interest in seeing it but I now have no interest in supporting any decision by Zaslav, so even if he reverses course on this I don't think I'm more interested than I was before.
Old 08-26-22, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I was cautiously curious about the movie at first, and have even less interest now. If the film is a disaster I'm glad they jettisoned it.
Old 08-26-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I still really want to see it. I have a hard time believing it was that bad.
B5Erik (08-27-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.