Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Correct. I don't care that it's a non-numbered film. What does that matter? Give it a simple crawl, that's all I'm saying.
Old 01-02-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That's what DVD/Blu-ray is for, right?
In theory, yes, but it seems like the recent trend is for any deleted scenes included to be mostly insubstantial if they're included at all.

I fear that, since Rogue One was significantly reshot and changed at the last minute, tney're not going to include any missing scenes that are from the previous cuts of the film.

The Force Awakens has had two different releases, and we know there's more stuff out there that wasn't included on either.
Old 01-02-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

More of a slog to sit through the second time around, but I still consider it a decent film. Saw it again this afternoon at a nearly sold out matinee with my dad, who liked it more than The Force Awakens. That surprised me. I was sure the first hour or so would cause him to doze off.
Old 01-02-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

One thing I'll say about the character names - I'm not sure most people walked out of the first showing of the original Star Wars knowing every character's name by heart. I am old enough to have seen Empire in the theater so I grew up watching them over and over again, collecting the toys and so on.

I'm just not sure people are remembering that there was a time when Luke Skywalker and Han Solo weren't household names.
Old 01-02-17, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Mr. Plinkett responds to fanboys critical of his Rogue One review.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i9-vP7kJheI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I didn't watch all of this, but for the "context" portion, he seems off the mark a bit. Several of the examples he gave, such as with Empire Strikes Back and Ghostbusters 2, the exposition wasn't just recapping or giving information the audience my already know from the previous film, but also filling in the gaps between films (Han never got that money to Jabba and Jabba is hunting him now, the Ghostbusters got sued to oblivion after the first film, etc.). There wasn't really a gap to explain in this film.

Also, all his examples were from older sequels, where it actually was more likely the audience may not have seen the previous films. However, I think more modern franchises more often assume you've seen the previous films in the. The Harry Potter films had less and less recap and context exposition as they went on, and The Hunger Games films only worked if you'd seen the previous ones. What with DVD/Blu-ray and on-demand, the filmmakers assume you know the context nowadays.

Plus, this is STAR WARS. Everyone knows who Darth Vader is. I mean, I don't think The Force Awakens actually ever explained why Kylo Ren was talking to a burnt up mask either.
Old 01-02-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
One thing I'll say about the character names - I'm not sure most people walked out of the first showing of the original Star Wars knowing every character's name by heart. I am old enough to have seen Empire in the theater so I grew up watching them over and over again, collecting the toys and so on.

I'm just not sure people are remembering that there was a time when Luke Skywalker and Han Solo weren't household names.
Yes and no. All the main character names are used quite a bit in the original Star Wars. Nearly everyone has a solid introduction.

Luke - Owen & Beru use Luke's name constantly. Han & Leia shout it numerous times in the trash compactor. "Hey Luke, may the force be with you." "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you."

Obi-Wan/Ben - Luke who leaves to find 'old Ben Kenobi' (who's name is repeated many times in Leia's "help me Obi-wan" message and used a few times between Tarkin & Vader), plus a few General Kenobi mentions.

C-3PO & R2 - "Hello, I am C-3PO, human cyborg relations." repeated a few times and his compainion the troublesome R2 unit. Whom Leia's message also talks about putting the Death Star plans in this R2 unit.

Han & Chewie - introduce themselves to Ben in the Cantina ("Han Solo, Captain of the Millenium Falcon, Chewie here tells me you're lookin' for passage to the Alderaan system?")...this is after Greedo uses Solo's name in their conversation.

Vader - used a handful of times, both Darth Vader and Lord Vader

Owen & Beru - even these two minor characters get their names repeated multiple times in the flick.

Leia - She's only one I'm coming up short on. Han, Luke & Vader mostly refer to her as the Princess(or "your Worship" ). I know Tarkin used her name in the 'foul stench' exchange but that's all that's coming to mind.

Point is, names are used extensively so you have a doorway into this world. You may not have remembered them all after one viewing but the info was there for the taking from the get-go.

I'm looking at a couple of character names for this flick and I can't ever recall even hearing them once. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine in modern flicks. Jyn, and K2So were used extensively, as was Saw (which sounded like Sol Guerrero to me). The Force Awakens even handled introducing a bunch of new people well.
Old 01-03-17, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I saw Star Wars in 1977 and no doubt that people didn't know every character name after they walked out of the theater. But there were characters you gravitated to and wanted to be them and that is the difference between Rogue One.

I always wanted to be Luke Skywalker back in 1977, so that character resonated with me big time. My next door neighbor was a bit more mature and 2 years older as he wanted to be Han Solo. My other neighbor who was a girl, obviously wanted to be Leia because she was the only female in the movie.

Is there any character in Rogue One that people are walking out saying, "I love that character!" That is what makes a great movie is that the characters are special and resonate with the public.

Again, I think Rogue One was an entertaining movie and I hate when idiot Star Wars fans call The Prequels, TFA, or Rogue One, "The WORST MOVIE IN THE WORLD!!!!" But there is nothing for me that will make me revisit the movie, unless it's on cable and a big part of that is none of the characters really resonated with me.

I honestly think Rogue One would have been a better TV series, as they could have fleshed out the characters and took their time telling the story.
Old 01-03-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Finally got around watching this movie. Really wish there had been more character development, i barely had any connection with any of the characters.
Also everyone delivered their lines with no emotion, as if the Director told them to act as robots. The second half was more entertaining watching them trying to complete the mission but if there had been an emotional connection to the characters it would have felt a lot better. When the characters started dying it was more like yeah i guess instead of a "nooo"
All in all a passable movie.

Darth Vader was amazing! and CGI Tarkin was convincing on some scenes but his face looked disproportionate at times

PS: i did like the character of Chirrut. I could see(no pun intended) what he was going for

Last edited by nando820; 01-03-17 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Is there any character in Rogue One that people are walking out saying, "I love that character!" That is what makes a great movie is that the characters are special and resonate with the public.
I agree with your point. The only character that comes close to that for me in Rogue One is Chirrut Imwe. This is where I think The Force Awakens succeeded much better, as Rey is a character with whom audiences on the whole seemed to really connect.

I liked Rogue One, but with some reworking it could have been much more effective. I do want to watch it again though, because I think a second viewing will help me solidify my opinion.
Old 01-03-17, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just think it is hard for most to connect with characters who are all going to die. Nobody wants to be Obi Wan, its always Luke, Han, or Leia.

Everyone's name is mentioned in the dialogue multiple times, so maybe the writing is the problem.

I've seen it twice, and enjoy this movie. Its Star Wars to me!
Old 01-03-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I think the fact that the names are more unusual than those of the OT also contribute to people's inability to remember them. Even though I heard them in the film, I didn't start to recognize many of them in the dialogue until my second time seeing it.
Old 01-03-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Saw it on Saturday - and loved it.
I can overlook the geek nitpicks bouncing around the internet in favor of a great looking sci-fi/action flick.
Plus, bonus points for making me weep like a baby during the final shot.

The film delivered on all counts, imo. Fun stuff...!
Old 01-03-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I think the fact that the names are more unusual than those of the OT also contribute to people's inability to remember them. Even though I heard them in the film, I didn't start to recognize many of them in the dialogue until my second time seeing it.
And that's my point - Luke is a pretty common name so that's easy to remember. Leia is a little weirder and Lando doesn't even know how to pronounce Han
Old 01-03-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've seen the movie twice and I'm still not comfortable with the names. Is it Baze Malbus or Maze Balbus? I don't even know anymore. Couldn't tell you the Imperial pilot's name to save my life.

I'm not suggesting things should be dumbed down, but those names are more than a little awkward.
Old 01-03-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What was with the air pressure gauges in jimmy smits suit?
Old 01-03-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've seen the movie twice and I'm still not comfortable with the names. Is it Baze Malbus or Maze Balbus? I don't even know anymore. Couldn't tell you the Imperial pilot's name to save my life.

I'm not suggesting things should be dumbed down, but those names are more than a little awkward.
I had no idea that the Imperial Pilot was Naz from The Night Of on HBO... so I call him Naz.
Old 01-03-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by buldrhm
I just think it is hard for most to connect with characters who are all going to die. Nobody wants to be Obi Wan, its always Luke, Han, or Leia.

Everyone's name is mentioned in the dialogue multiple times, so maybe the writing is the problem.

I've seen it twice, and enjoy this movie. Its Star Wars to me!
Buldrhm is correct -- there was no need to "build a relationship" with these characters. They aren't going to be around for two (or more films). That said, I agree they could have done a better job connecting us or fleshing out a few of the lesser characters. However, I would argue that the fact that fans want more of the characters means they did a good job to hook you and not leaving the characters as totally nameless cannon fodder.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I also had a hard time picking up names during my initial viewing since they don't make a point of . I don't know that the names are anymore unusual than the OT though. While Luke and Leia were around before (Biblical and Hebrew in origin) they were FAR from common. Many folks in 1977 loved the adventures of Hans and that Chuba monkey thing fighting against the evil Dark Vader.

And that's my point - Luke is a pretty common name so that's easy to remember. Leia is a little weirder and Lando doesn't even know how to pronounce Han
Common and familiar 40 years later. Look up the popularity of those names prior to 1977.

Not disagreeing that the names could have been clearer, but the OT and TFA beat you over the head with introductions ("Obi-Wan? That's me!" and "I'm going to call you Finn!"). This film dropped characters in organically and the names slipped by.

Here is an interesting thought ... The Pilot was so bland and lost in the background that I think making him an alien would have advanced the character without having to do much different. Of course, the Empire doesn't enlist or like aliens, but you could have had him escaping slavery rather than being a defector.

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
What was with the air pressure gauges in jimmy smits suit?
They are very common in the SW universe and I never really thought about them before. However they were so prevalent in this film (not just on Jimmy Smits) that I started really noticing them and wondering the same thing. Typically they were mostly on pilots, but that changed with this film.
Old 01-03-17, 02:36 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

The now-near mythical reshoots for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story weren't just about changing the end of the movie. A new interview with editors who worked on Gareth Edwards' Death Star-sized prequel has revealed a few more scenes that were added after the first shoot, and they might surprise some fans. Spoilers ahead, obviously.

According to John Gilroy, talking in an interview with Yahoo! Movies, the reshoots — which were ordered last summer — "gave you the film that you see today," adding that "there were scenes that were added at the beginning and fleshed out [because] we wanted to make more of the other characters."

Amongst the scenes added? "The scene with Cassian’s introduction with the spy, Bodhi traipsing through Jedha on his way to see Saw, these are things that were added." Also specifically named was the introduction of the adult Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones): "How we set her up and her escape from the transporter, that was all done to set up the story better," Gilroy revealed.

Another editor on the feature, Colin Goudie, continued, "The point with the opening scenes that John was just describing was that the introductions in the opening scene, in the prologue, was always the same. Jyn’s just a little girl, so when you see her as an adult what you saw initially was her in a meeting. That’s not a nice introduction. So having her in prison and then a prison break out, with Cassian on a mission… everybody was a bit more ballsy, or a bit more exciting, and a bit more interesting."

Neither Gilroy nor Goudie went into as much detail about the movie's finale, although Gilroy said that "it changed quite a bit… I don't want to go into too much detail about what had been there before, but it was different. We moved some of the things that our heroes did, they were different in the original than they were as it was conceived."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20170103
Old 01-03-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry guys, but I don't buy the argument that there was no need to get invested in the characters if they were going to die?

I guess people shouldn't have gotten invested in Thelma & Louise? I don't want to mention more recent movies (fear of spoiling it) where characters die yet the director developed them so we cared.

The lack of developing characters in Rogue One is why I stopped going to Blockbuster movies overall. If fans want wall to wall action for 2 hours and don't care about characters, then that is the current landscape of the blockbuster these days.

I grew up in a time where the characters and story were JUST as important as the action scenes. I guess I'm in the minority these days cause these summer blockbusters make alot of $$$.
Old 01-03-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Finally saw it today. Loved it, but am not oblivious to it's flaws, biggest being a pretty forgettable cast of characters. Hell, half of them I had to look up their names after the movie. You had Force chant dude and his machine gun pal. Then you had Imperial pilot they plucked from Can't Hardly Wait. Didn't really catch Cassian's name until the end. They did a very poor job introducing the cast. As for their development, I can let it slide as they are just many of the faceless heroes of the rebellion.

I loved that they touched on the Death Star's flaw as basically the driving point of the film. Rogue kidnapped scientist builds in the flaw? That's fantastic.

The first act was kinda slow, but the last battle was fantastic and more than made up for it.

The fanboy stuff was nice and not gratuitus like in the Prequels. I liked seeing R2 & 3PO. My daughter turned to me and gave me the biggest grin at that moment. It was sweet. I liked seeing Tarkin. I figured it was a mix of CG and traditional make-up effects over an actor, it depended on the scene. I didn't think the uncanny valley effect was as bad as some are claiming. His scenes were brief enough. Young Leia was fine too. It was brief enough that it doesn't need to be over analyzed like Tarkin.

Vader's pun wasn't very Vader-like but I grinned. You gotta have some light moments in these movies. Vader's costume looked 'off.' I know it depends on the actor under the suit, but this Vader had a huge neck. Vastly different than in the opening to Star Wars. I'll also agree that JEJ voice was also different.

I missed the opening crawl, no matter what the silly explanation is. It didn't help that the music during the title card sequence was horrid. It got better from there but the overall score was definitely lacking William's nuance and brilliance.

I'm eager to watch it again though.

Really? You think a one year old movie holds up pretty well.

Exactly what I would have posted. Finally got a day off AND time to go see this movie and I really enjoyed it. The first part and character stuff was not the best but the last 2/3 of the movie was great.

The end battles and the set up to A New Hope was absolutely perfect in my opinion.

I loved the little hat tips to the original series and can't wait to see it again.
Old 01-03-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Sorry guys, but I don't buy the argument that there was no need to get invested in the characters if they were going to die?

I guess people shouldn't have gotten invested in Thelma & Louise? I don't want to mention more recent movies (fear of spoiling it) where characters die yet the director developed them so we cared.

The lack of developing characters in Rogue One is why I stopped going to Blockbuster movies overall. If fans want wall to wall action for 2 hours and don't care about characters, then that is the current landscape of the blockbuster these days.

I grew up in a time where the characters and story were JUST as important as the action scenes. I guess I'm in the minority these days cause these summer blockbusters make alot of $$$.
You just explained the WWE.

If these fans are asking for more 'character development' then SOMETHING must have clicked about these rebels to give a damn about 'character development.'
Old 01-03-17, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying you shouldn't be invested in the characters, I think people are just choosing not to.

I think the info on these characters is there. I feel invested in them, I don't understand what others are looking for.
Old 01-03-17, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a lot of things have to come together for you to care about characters. I liked Rogue One, and I didn't feel totally ambivalent toward the final beach scene, but I didn't feel nearly like I did when I saw the slab of carbonite hit the deck in Cloud City.

One major problem is the music being lackluster which has been discussed previously. We take our emotional cues from the music.
Old 01-03-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I think a lot of things have to come together for you to care about characters. I liked Rogue One, and I didn't feel totally ambivalent toward the final beach scene, but I didn't feel nearly like I did when I saw the slab of carbonite hit the deck in Cloud City.
But you had 2 films to invest in Han Solo and there was hope for his future.
Old 01-03-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But you had 2 films to invest in Han Solo and there was hope for his future.
That's only one more film than we had to get invested in these characters though.

But here's another example - Qui-Gon. Yes I know TPM sucks. But we only had the one film to get invested with him, and he's arguably the best thing about the film. The impact of his death scene and funeral are more moving to me than any of the characters in R1 biting it. The music is a big part of it.

I'm not trying to be an R1 hater because as I said I enjoyed the film. But there is something to the multiple comments from people who didn't feel anything for the characters. Some are just more forgiving than others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.