Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-16, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Back from a second viewing and I think knowing that they are all doomed made there deaths more impactful the second time around. And the last few minutes with Vader and the escaping Tantive IV are even more exhilarating after watching ANH this morning.
I could not agree more. Just got back from my second viewing and it was a much more emotional experience for me. The movie still has it's flaws, but it went from good to great in just over 24 hours for me.
Old 12-17-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

After watching it last night I gotta say, you don't see many movies these days where ... 3/4? of the characters who appeared on screen (even bg characters) ... died at some point during the movie
Old 12-17-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
After watching it last night I gotta say, you don't see many movies these days where ... 3/4? of the characters who appeared on screen (even bg characters) ... died at some point during the movie
Unless you're watching a war movie...which Rogue One is. I find it hard to believe that any Star Wars fan went into this thinking the main characters would live...you know, seeing as we've never heard of any of them before.
Old 12-17-16, 06:40 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I actually expected they would borrow heavily from Seven Samurai for the whole movie. Turns out they didn't, but I expected some would live and some would die, like in Kurosawa's film.
Old 12-17-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Rogue One.

I liked it. I loved it. I liked it - which is it? It didn't quite meet my expectations, but that's probably because I loved the trailers so much that my expectations were really, really high.

The characters were OK (no one as good as Rey from TFA), and the story was strong, and I loved all the old faces making CGI returns (most of which looked really good), but something just felt a little off.

Then again, I felt the same way about TFA the first time, and ended up loving it by viewing #3.

I loved seeing Tarkin most of all. Peter Cushing making an appearance decades after his death is just so cool. Cushing was phenomenal as Tarkin, and I wish that he and his foul stench could have been in TESB. The CGI Tarkin was excellent, with only a couple moments where it really looked CGI (it's always the mouth that gives it away). B

But I also loved seeing the pilots from the 1977 Star Wars, too, and Leia at the end was what they needed to tie it all together.

The other thing - this was the first Star WARS movie that felt more like a WAR movie. The battle scenes in the last hour were really strong, and that was awesome to see.

So I want to give it a 4 1/2, but I'm really not there yet with this one. I don't want to give it a 4, because I think it's just a little better than that, so, for now, I'll give it...

1/4
Old 12-17-16, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Liked it better Force Awakens.

I especially liked that it was a "death mission" where they all actually do die at the end. No last minute saves, not even for the female lead. And I loved Donnie Yen, and I loved that he didn't turn out to be some undercover Jedi. It avoided a lot of the cheap plot elements that seem to be prevalent in modern blockbusters.
Old 12-17-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it today. Loved it. I liked it more than Force Awakens.
Old 12-17-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The best CGI human was in the Captain America: Civil War movie. The young Robert Downey, Jr. looked just about perfect. I assume that he acted out the scene, and then the effects were applied afterwards.

The CGI humans in Rogue One weren't as good as in Civil War, but they were pretty good...definitely better than in Tron Legacy.
Old 12-17-16, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by oldboy
fuck reviews on this one it's fucking star wars!!
+3
Old 12-17-16, 09:48 PM

I went back and looked at the score that I gave The Force Awakens (3.5 stars). I gave 4 stars to Rogue One yesterday. I agree with that assessment. Both movies are entertaining, but Rogue One is more intelligent and adult-oriented. We need more intelligent movies. If there's one thing that America has enough of, it's stupid and derivative entertainment.
Old 12-17-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spectacular movie.Loved it. it's no Force Awakens (greatest movie of all time), but I absolutely loved it.
Old 12-17-16, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
I went back and looked at the score that I gave The Force Awakens (3.5 stars). I gave 4 stars to Rogue One yesterday. I agree with that assessment. Both movies are entertaining, but Rogue One is more intelligent and adult-oriented. We need more intelligent movies. If there's one thing that America has enough of, it's stupid and derivative entertainment.
It was super fun, but not adult or very intelligent. Winter Light is adult and intelligent. This was a lark. Let's not use hyperbole.
Old 12-17-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

For some reason I forgot that the Death Star itself can go into hyperdrive. So that was probably scary as duck for the Imperials when they saw it show up on the skyline in the beach.

And yeah, count me as wondering where certain moments from the trailers went. Especially the "I rebel" line, and Forest Whitaker yelling some motivational shit.

I really liked this- especially the final stretch on the beach and the lead in to the original movie. I didn't read a ton about the production, so I expected Tarkin, but not the Cushing likeness, nor R2/3PO - it was good to be surprised.

Oh and thanks for John Knoll for pitching this concept after the Disney acquisition. And in addition to his effects background, he also co-created Photoshop.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-17-16 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-17-16, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Liked it, didn't love it. Was a really well made war film but that's not a genre I get into too much. Even though it wasn't for me the level of quality has me excited for future films that will be more akin to my tastes.
Old 12-17-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really loved it, and slightly prefer it to Force Awakens. The nods to the original series were perfect, yet at the same time this felt like a more confident departure from the tone of the originals than did Force Awakens. K-2so definitely stole every scene.

My only gripe is the color palette for the first two-thirds of the movie. For the life of me, I do not understand this modern trend of just draining all the color from the film. The final third improved that aspect, with the beach and space battle.
Old 12-17-16, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Spectacular movie.Loved it. it's no Force Awakens (greatest movie of all time), but I absolutely loved it.
you need to get out of the house more
Old 12-17-16, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It was super fun, but not adult or very intelligent. Winter Light is adult and intelligent. This was a lark. Let's not use hyperbole.
I said "more intelligent and adult-oriented." I was comparing Rogue One to The Force Awakens, not 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Old 12-18-16, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Loved it. Buries Force Awakens. Liked that it leads right into the first Star Wars film by seconds/minutes.

The whole Grand Moff Tarkin CGI stuff was fantastic. I'd say the latter stuff he was in was better than when we first see him. This is on par with the great younger Arnold scene in Genisys. But yeah, duh, I told you everyone was going to die. #suicidesquad
Old 12-18-16, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Why is everybody all of the sudden so surprised that scenes from the trailers don't always make it into the final film?
Old 12-18-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was fighting sleep the first half. Forgave Tarkin flaws, hated the Vader pun. Two observations that haven't been brought up yet-

I thought the anti war sentiments expressed by the rebels (Jimmy Smits scene) was one of the dumbest moments in the series. They are rebelling against the government trying to overthrow it. You're trying to avoid war??? You are starting a war.

As cool as the Vader "batshit" scene was, it was totally out of place. The Vader of the original trilogy was a man of power, his lackeys would have done the dirty work, not him. They would've blasted the way in, he would've followed...
Old 12-18-16, 01:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Who would have thought that we'd have a Star Wars movie where in the first ten minutes a Rebellion spy is forced to regretfully kill an innocent and sympathetic man to ensure his own survival? Who would have thought we'd have a Star Wars movie where the heroes all die?
Brace yourself: Red Dawn.

That film is a depiction of left wing insurgents through a right wing lense and it's the nearest analogue I can think of to Rogue One.

Line them all up and then execute them all. Sound familiar?

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-18-16 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-18-16, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
As cool as the Vader "batshit" scene was, it was totally out of place. The Vader of the original trilogy was a man of power, his lackeys would have done the dirty work, not him. They would've blasted the way in, he would've followed...
He was with a small landing party though. He only had a few stormtroopers with him (maybe 4 or 5ish?). They'd have been toast quickly if they went in first.
Old 12-18-16, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
I was fighting sleep the first half. Forgave Tarkin flaws, hated the Vader pun. Two observations that haven't been brought up yet-

I thought the anti war sentiments expressed by the rebels (Jimmy Smits scene) was one of the dumbest moments in the series. They are rebelling against the government trying to overthrow it. You're trying to avoid war??? You are starting a war.

Maybe. Which is why they took liberties with it and showed you what he was up to in those enclosed spaces. It was fan service.
Old 12-18-16, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The only dumb scene were the two guys they bump into from the cantina in IV (Cornelius Evazan and his friend, the "you'll be dead" guy Obi-wan kills). Why would they be there on that planet, and they'll have to get to Tatooine in a couple of days. That was beyond even bad fan-service, and was just plain "member berries". I 'member!
Old 12-18-16, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
And when I get the Blu, I'll most probably rewatch the 3rd act and skip the first two thirds. .

lol why even bother if you're only going to watch 30 minutes of a movie?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.