Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,022 Likes on 709 Posts
Re: The Official Box Office Discussion Thread

I'm really curious what the numbers for Deadpool will be. It's so hard to predict the BO post pandemic. I really think what it is is that nobody goes to the movies anymore as an activity. It's not like a group of people will go out to just go to the movies. People go to the movies to see a specific movie. And Mad Max is a very niche franchise. I really don't know what they were expecting.
Old 05-26-24, 08:58 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I'm really curious what the numbers for Deadpool will be. It's so hard to predict the BO post pandemic.
Some of the presale tracking figures have it opening anywhere between $150-$200m.
Old 05-26-24, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

We're seeing what the state of movies is without the franchise series that've helped the past 10+yrs.(MCU, Star Wars, Disney, JP, etc) It ain't good. Surprise mega hits (Top Gun, Barbie) have also artificially propped up grosses the past few years, and I don't see one of those on the horizon either.

But audiences will still show up for something they really want to see, which is good... it just doesn't happen as often as it needs to.

Also, you have to wonder if the economy/inflation is coming into play. Going to the theaters is probably one of easiest things to cut.(given the many options)

Last edited by Artman; 05-26-24 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-26-24, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts

All kinds of theories are flooding the Net.

Inflation. Movie going is too expensive.
Anya Taylor-Joy isn’t a draw
No one cares about prequels
No one wanted a Mad Max movie without Mad Max
Movies are too long
The Mad Max fan base is too niche
People are finding other things to do

and so on and so forth.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-26-24 at 03:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (05-26-24)
Old 05-26-24, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Did any mention that all the ads made it look like a total rehash of Fury Road? Literally could be mistaken for a re-release. There was no hook for it unless you were a die hard of FR.
Old 05-26-24, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

Trying to sell us a Zoomer Mad Max film without Mad Max was always doomed to fail. Honestly, Fury Road was hit or miss for me. Hollywood has done an absolutely terrible job grooming A-list stars this last decade.
Old 05-26-24, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
All kinds of theories are flooding the Net.

Inflation. Movie going is too expensive.
Anya Taylor-Joy isn’t a draw
No one cares about prequels
No one wanted a Mad Max movie without Mad Max
Movies are too long
The Mad Max fan base is too niche
People are finding other things to do

and so on and so forth.
All of the above.

https://www.indiewire.com/news/box-o...w0XTeeZu5B24Y8

This weekend has the lowest Memorial Day four-day gross since 1995, but it’s worse than that. In 2024, it represents perhaps 12 million admissions; 1995 saw around 25 million, with the population 20 percent smaller.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-26-24 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-26-24, 07:35 PM

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I'm going to see the movie. I'm just busy this weekend. Sometimes these kind of reports feel like I'm supposed to feel a touch of guilt for not going to the movies, or something. I'm a huge movie fan. I go to a ton. Sorry I'm not on their schedule!
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
DJariya (05-26-24), ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 05-26-24, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by story
I'm going to see the movie. I'm just busy this weekend. Sometimes these kind of reports feel like I'm supposed to feel a touch of guilt for not going to the movies, or something. I'm a huge movie fan. I go to a ton. Sorry I'm not on their schedule!
It’s how the business of Hollywood is nowadays, especially post-pandemic. If movies, and in this case supposed blockbusters, aren't making a ton of money week 1, panic pieces are written by the trades.

I totally understand that you and many households simply don’t have time to see movies week 1.
ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 05-26-24, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

I think a lot of it is just changing habits. How expensive things are now days plus the fact that people are conditioned to being able to wait a couple of months and having the option to watch on whatever streaming platform. Unless there’s a movie with a really good hook or has the power of being a big franchise it’s tough.
Old 05-26-24, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many, many people simply don't trust Hollywood anymore to make a satisfying blockbuster appealing to all four quadrants. So the industry seemingly has given up and accepted diminishing results outside of a few major filmmakers and powerhouse brands. I don't think this is a coincidence as the major studios became minor parts of larger corporations.
Old 05-27-24, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/26/b...y-weekend.html
Why did fewer moviegoers turn out for “Furiosa” than expected? Warner Bros. declined to comment, but the film capital was rife with theories. One involved Anya Taylor-Joy, who played the title role in “Furiosa.”

The 28-year-old actress has been ascending for nearly a decade, gaining attention in 2015 for “The Witch,” an art house horror movie, and winning awards in 2020 for playing a troubled chess prodigy in “The Queen’s Gambit,” a Netflix mini-series. But she had never anchored a big-budget summer movie before.

Increasing the pressure, Ms. Taylor-Joy took over the role of Furiosa from the Oscar-winning Charlize Theron, now 48, who helped turn “Mad Max: Fury Road” into a hit in 2015.

“Moviegoers do not want prequel origin stories,” where significant franchise characters are “portrayed not by the actor who originated and defined them, but by a younger, less-famous performer,” Scott Mendelson, a box office analyst who publishes a subscription newsletter, wrote on Saturday.

“Furiosa,” directed by George Miller and co-starring Chris Hemsworth, may have been released too soon after the similar-looking “Dune: Part Two,” which delivered giant ticket sales in March, some film executives said. At the same time, they added, “Furiosa” may have been released too long after “Fury Road,” allowing the “Mad Max” fan base to cool.

There has also been a lack of momentum at the box office, noted Paul Dergarabedian, a senior Comscore media analyst. Hollywood’s summer season started with “The Fall Guy,” which arrived to $28 million in ticket sales earlier this month — the lowest summer kickoff since 1995. The April box office suffered from a shortage of movies, which studios blamed on lingering fallout from union strikes in 2023.

“The current malaise shows the importance of the health of the overall marketplace in the months leading up to this all-important moviegoing season,” Mr. Dergarabedian said in an email.
Old 05-27-24, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

I have actually seen three of the four major releases so far this summer. Fall Guy, Kingdom of POTA, and Furiosa. While I have enjoyed them, I pretty much only went because I have one of those memberships to the theater chain where I attend that allows me a certain amount of movies each month for a flat price. Similar to Regal Unlimited or Movie Pass back in its day. While I do still enjoy the experience of seeing something on a large screen, I can totally understand why most people are skipping out so far. For one, weekend matinee prices have pretty much all but vanished in my area over the past two years. Tickets are all North of $10, typically around $14 just for a daytime show. While it didn't cost me any extra, I kind of felt like a schmuck for seeing Fall Guy theatrically when I could have waited two weeks, paid $20 and allowed some friends and family to watch as well. Also, despite living in a rather populous area, most of the theaters in these parts are not maintained to a point where I see the prices one pays for the ticket and concessions justifiable in any way. When I saw Furiosa they didn't even start the advertising reel that typically plays before previews until the time the previews were supposed to start. After seeing the same ad about three times, I went to the management and in less than five minutes the movie started sans trailers. I have a feeling had I not said something we would have been sitting close to 45 minutes before starting a 2 1/2 hour movie. Basically, the experience is now overpriced and underwhelming. Not good.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
Ash Ketchum (05-28-24), PhantomStranger (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

About $32m for Furiosa 4-day, $31.1m for Garfield. Neither did great.

Fall Guy continues to do hold fairly well despite its muted opening and rapid release on PVOD. IF is holding pretty well.

Godzilla x Kong looks like it'll end just shy of $200m domestic leaving Dune 2 the only $200m+ domestic grosser so far this year.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-28-24 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-04-24, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate that article. Shows how out of touch Hollywood is or at least "analysts". To blame the starring actress? That the studio chose? Really? How classy is that?

People don't want to watch prequel movies? Really? And blaming lack of momentum? Seriously?? Like who TF cares about momentum when choosing to watch a movie in the theater??

"No I don't want to go to the theater to see Furiosa. I didn't watch IF so I definitely don't want to watch Furiosa." Who is it that pays these "analysts"?
Old 06-04-24, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

People don't want to watch prequel movies? Really? And blaming lack of momentum? Seriously?? Like who TF cares about momentum when choosing to watch a movie in the theater??
Me?! I will see Furiosa this week before it's out of premium screens, because it looks visually fantastic and is related to the nearly 10yr old Fury Road, which I loved. What would've made me see it opening night, and likely a 2nd time? A proper sequel to that movie - preferably with the same actors although that would not necessarily be a deal breaker. And I'm someone who goes to the movies, who loves sci fi/genre films like Furiosa and even then - it wasn't something I felt compelled to see.
ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 06-05-24, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough. They could have taken a different route with that particular series. But to say that people don't want to watch prequels period as a general rule is ridiculous.
Old 06-05-24, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There have been a lot of egregiously bad takes with Furiosa so far. I imagine many more will follow.
Old 06-08-24, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fair enough. They could have taken a different route with that particular series. But to say that people don't want to watch prequels period as a general rule is ridiculous.
I mostly avoid prequels as a rule in my own movie viewing. The success rate on prequels for me isn't high.
ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 06-09-24, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bad Boys rides high.
Old 06-10-24, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

For Fathom Event Screenings and with only two screenings per screen those are pretty good numbers for Fellowship and Two Towers.
ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 06-14-24, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Inside Out 2 pulled $13m last night (topping Dune 2's $12m previews), there is some speculation that it could cross $100m this weekend which would fantastic given the current headwinds. Tracking had it at $80 - $90m.

Edit: Now $120m - $130m for IO2

Edit: Now $140m+

Last edited by RichC2; 06-15-24 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-16-24, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sequels
Prequels

Apparently. Stellar opening for Inside Out 2 and incredible hold for Bad boys 4.

Old 06-16-24, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Bad Boys: Ride or Die looks like it's well on it's way to being a financial success for Sony.

I know there are some who still aren't over the incident, but looks like the general public has moved on. And Will Smith and Martin Lawrence have done a great job marketing and promoting this movie. They have been on all the talk shows, traveled the world and Smith has snuck into a few theaters watching the movie with other fans and later revealing himself. He's definitely done the leg work selling this movie.

The Fall Guy is still going to lose money, but it's not the absolute financial catastrophe that some write ups made it sound to be. It's somehow managed to stay in the top 10 for 45 days even when Universal cut it's legs off sending it to VOD so early.