Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I liked it a bit more than you did, but I'm pretty close to you in agreement. Mad Max: Fury Road is certainly a fun, well-made 2 hour action flick but hardly the game-changing, transcendent piece of jaw-droppery that seems to be bandied about with effusive hyperventilation.
Saw it last night and couldn't agree more. I had fun, but I didn't find it particularly groundbreaking or fresh. Hell, you could have swapped the Mad Max character for Riddick from Pitch Black and left everything else the same, and it would have fit perfectly in that universe as well.
Old 05-20-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I must say that all the claims that Max is a supporting character and that Furiosa is the lead are a bunch of BS.
No resentment in the fact, I think its cool, but she is the protagonist.
Old 05-20-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I saw it again last night, and enjoyed it much better on a second viewing. Except for a few scenes at the end the 3d is pointless.
Old 05-20-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
Saw it last night and couldn't agree more. I had fun, but I didn't find it particularly groundbreaking or fresh. Hell, you could have swapped the Mad Max character for Riddick from Pitch Black and left everything else the same, and it would have fit perfectly in that universe as well.
Max isn't a deeply fleshed-out character in this movie. Heck, he's barely a character at all, he's more of an archetype. Almost all of them are. The most fully developed character in the movie is easily Nux, followed by Immortan Joe.

FURY ROAD is a kickass, visually breathtaking action fest of incredible kinetics, but it lacked the characterization moments that really elevated similar fare like Dredd or The Raid.
Old 05-20-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just read the first issue of the pre-quel comic and it was pretty dope. They tell you how Nux became a War Boy and how Joe became Immortan Joe.

They also introduce a "Wordburger" and it basically answered my question as to who that old lady was that helped the women escape in the film. She had the shotgun and all of the writing on her body. They're basically recorders/teachers, etc.

Looks like the series is limited to 4 issues, so there's only a few left and I also saw that the Art of Mad Max: Fury Road is available to buy from Amazon. If WETA had anything to do with it y'all know it's going to be a top notch book. I hear there's some early production artwork of what Joe used to look like. He would put detergent all over himself and be colored blue.

I'll probably end up getting it at some point.
Old 05-20-15, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I'm getting the art book for Fury Road. I don't get art books for films but Pacific Rim was my first one and Fury Road will be my second now.
Old 05-20-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I should also point out, as someone did on another board, about how Mad Max really isn't just a supporting character. I'm not going to put it in spoiler tags, because if you're in the reviews thread and haven't seen it yet then that's on you.

Without Max...

Furiousa wouldn't have gotten away in the canyon at first.

Furiosa wouldn't have survived The Bullet Farmer and his men.

Furiosa would have went the wrong way to her death.

Furiosa wouldn't go back to the Citadel to take her rightful place.

Makes sense to me.
Old 05-20-15, 12:02 PM
Banned

Max falls into this world but he isn't the motivating force. Furiosa is... but Max is still the lead. He takes responsibility into Furiosa's cause.
Old 05-20-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Without Max...

Furiousa wouldn't have gotten away in the canyon at first.

Furiosa wouldn't have survived The Bullet Farmer and his men.

Furiosa would have went the wrong way to her death.

Furiosa wouldn't go back to the Citadel to take her rightful place.
That logic doesn't make him a lead character. Otherwise you could argue that, for example, R2-D2 is the lead character in Star Wars. Just because you make events happen (or facilitate them) doesn't mean the story is necessarily about you.
Old 05-20-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's the catalyst.

It doesn't hurt the narration or all that other stuff people seem to be complaining about.
Old 05-20-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jesus is the lead character in Ben-Hur. Discuss.
Old 05-20-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-20-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Eh everybody is entitled to their opinion, I saw somebody mention The Raid and that movie was an absolute chore to get through.
Old 05-20-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Eh everybody is entitled to their opinion, I saw somebody mention The Raid and that movie was an absolute chore to get through.
They are but I get the feeling that some dudes are butthurt that Furiosa was that big of a character considering that the original title was FURIOSA. I sense some passive aggressiveness. Maybe they're part of that whole group of angry men that don't want strong females in their films?

Just sayin'.
Old 05-20-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They are but I get the feeling that some dudes are butthurt that Furiosa was that big of a character considering that the original title was FURIOSA. I sense some passive aggressiveness. Maybe they're part of that whole group of angry men that don't want strong females in their films?

Just sayin'.
I could be wrong but I don't think that's it. I understand the want for more Max in the movie. While he's very obviously the main character in the movie, the man that steers the events, he isn't at the forefront despite his presence being felt throughout.

He's the bad ass that knows what to do and how to get what needs to be done with Furiosa providing the ever changing MacGuffin. But he also remains mostly quiet and is never given the chance to truly shine -- he's basically the mentor to a group of amateurs. So while it didn't bother me, I get that some people just wanted more of him in the picture. It wasn't really a movie about Mad Max despite being about one of his many adventures.

The only real argument for it not being a Mad Max movie is maybe the scene where he walks off and the camera stays with the group, sure it makes him come off as a bad ass ("It's not his blood.") but it does kind of suggest that he isn't the main point. Well that, and I really just wanted to see him fuck those guys up.

With all that said, I can see this tying back in to a future episode (if they continue) where he again crosses paths with Furiosa, having helped build her into the empress that she now is.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-20-15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 02:05 PM
Banned

Just sayin'.
Furiosa was supposed to be the film that was to come out after Fury Road in the original intention of filming Fury Road and Furiosa back to back.
Old 05-20-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

..he isn't at the forefront despite his presence being felt throughout.
It wasn't really a movie about Mad Max despite being about one of his many adventures.
That's all I'm trying to say. Furiosa could be anyone or anything as far as I'm concerned, but it would still be her story, not Max's...and, really, anyone could have played the "Max" role in this story.
Old 05-20-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah I didn't know there was an intended follow-up for Furiosa. Kind of bummed there isn't one planned right now.

Originally Posted by printerati
That's all I'm trying to say. Furiosa could be anyone or anything as far as I'm concerned, but it would still be her story, not Max's...and, really, anyone could have played the "Max" role in this story.
I'm not sure I agree with that necessarily. He almost fully steers where everything goes in the movie following the first chase, something I think that fits well with the Max character.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-20-15 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sayin'.
Nope. A few of us just didn't think this was the greatest thing ever like everyone else on here. I don't know why that would make someone a "hater".
Old 05-20-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, like my favorite tweet on Mad Max said: I've got 99 problems and a strong well defined female ain't one.
Old 05-20-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And most people who see the movie really have no problem with a strong female lead. I know a few people that didn't care for this that absolutely adore Kill Bill.

The movie was an 80s throwback retelling of a Shakespearian tale on wheels with some crazy practical effects, but it's also lacking in character development and standard exposition. It isn't for everybody.

And as much as I'd love to pull out the "98%" card, everybody has to remember The Babadook also got a 98%, and I can't think of a more divisive highly rated movie off hand.
Old 05-20-15, 02:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Nope. A few of us just didn't think this was the greatest thing ever like everyone else on here. I don't know why that would make someone a "hater".
That's his MO. If you don't love a movie he loved, you're automatically a hater.

And I have no problem with Furiosa being the main character in this movie.
Old 05-20-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And most people who see the movie really have no problem with a strong female lead. I know a few people that didn't care for this that absolutely adore Kill Bill.

The movie was an 80s throwback retelling of a Shakespearian tale on wheels with some crazy practical effects, but it's also lacking in character development and standard exposition. It isn't for everybody.
See, I'd just say to watch the first trilogy. Boom - there's your chraacter development. I don't care if MMFR is a reboot or retcon, etc., but watch the first three and you've got more than enough material to keep up with in this world.
Old 05-20-15, 02:28 PM
Banned

I kind of like seeing Max fall into other people's situations. MM2 and MM3 had it go there too. Fury Road did it too. I don't think I'd like for him to be JUST that though. At the time same time, Max is a loner. What trouble could he get into where it's just him?
Old 05-20-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's the catalyst.
No he isn't. Furiosa would have enacted her plan with our without Max.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.