Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Old 05-18-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

I saw the movie again yesterday in a larger, louder theater and enjoyed it more than the first time around. The movie is a kick-ass roller coaster of mayhem. The final act feels a bit repetitive, but that's OK because it's also the most insane, over-the-top act. It's like overdrive on overdrive.
Old 05-18-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Saw this again and it was still fucking epic. My favorite film of the year.

For those that say that they couldn't understand what Immorten Joe was saying to the people on the mic was that they shouldn't rely on water, because it would make them less resilient if it wasn't around.
Old 05-18-15, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, I didn't have any issue w/ understanding what anyone was saying. The closest I had an issue w/ hearing was when Max was on the front Nux's car. And I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose cuz it was still awesome w/ the sound in there.
Old 05-18-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Saw this today. This was an absolute blast.

Pure adrenaline rush. Amazing stunts, action and driving sequences. This was an update done right and glad that Miller was the one behind it.

The sand storm sequence earlier in the film was freaking amazing.

Looking forward to another edition with Hardy as Max. If I had a small nit pick, the Max character was really underdeveloped in this movie. We knew nothing about him other than he was a cop and I assume those flash backs were supposed to be about his family and how they died. I'm aware of Max's backstory from the original movie, but for a newcomer, his character was just some lone wolf badass. But, overall I was very pleased with this flick. It was a hell of a good time.

Okay, I see we have 2 trolls who have this 0 stars and probably didn't even see it. Is it that hard to just not vote if you aren't interested in it??

Last edited by DJariya; 05-18-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TGM
probably won't see it until it hits home video, but could someone tell me where this fits in with the timeline of the other movies? is Hardy supposed to be the same exact character that Mel Gibson was?

Hire a sitter. Or forget seeing this with the wife and see it on your own.

Problem solved.

This is not in the same universe as the Gibson movies. This is a re-telling of the story.
Old 05-18-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this today at a matinee. My first reaction was how amazed I was that Miller made an Australian New Wave movie in the year 2015. Fury Road did not "go Hollywood", as I feared it might. The heavy Australian accents abounded, without having some studio head insist on redubbing, as was the case in earlier MM films. The trademark undercranking was present (even though I think it's kind of hacky, it's still a trademark). No over-explaining of any plot points, no catering to any groups that will inevitably bitch and moan about this, that, or the other. The whole movie was punk. I felt like it was 1980 again. Just awesome.

Kudos also to Tom Hardy. What other action star would agree to a role where his face is covered for the first half of the movie? I know he's not Tom Cruise or Bruce Willis level, but even if he were, I don't think he'd mind a bit.

My only complaint (not really) is that the beloved "Last of the V-8 Interceptors" got trashed... not once, but twice! The second when it appeared as Max was dangling off the side of the truck, you got the "Fuck yeah, Max is about to get into the Interceptor again!" feeling, and then *crunch*. That one hurt. Miller, you magnificent bastard.

And all I have to say to some of you guys is: Y'all need to find better theaters. Shitty audio levels? Crappy 3D? I had an immaculate experience at my theater. Boomingly loud, perfect 3D (perhaps the best 3D movie in several years), plenty bright, etc. Why do you guys just keep returning again and again to places that suck?
Old 05-18-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is not in the same universe as the Gibson movies. This is a re-telling of the story.
I don't agree with that. Miller has stated that he likes to place it after Thunderdome, but admits that the timeline doesn't really work perfectly for that to be the case. It is definitely the same universe, and definitely the same Max (or I imagine that Miller would have plainly said otherwise). Just that the stories being told... as legends perhaps... are not entirely reliable in their continuity.
Old 05-18-15, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I don't agree with that. Miller has stated that he likes to place it after Thunderdome, but admits that the timeline doesn't really work perfectly for that to be the case. It is definitely the same universe, and definitely the same Max (or I imagine that Miller would have plainly said otherwise). Just that the stories being told... as legends perhaps... are not entirely reliable in their continuity.
Okay I wasn't aware that Hardy's Max is supposed to be the same man as Gibson's Max. Thanks
Old 05-18-15, 10:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My first reaction was how amazed I was that Miller made an Australian New Wave movie in the year 2015. Fury Road did not "go Hollywood", as I feared it might. The heavy Australian accents abounded, without having some studio head insist on redubbing, as was the case in earlier MM films. The trademark undercranking was present (even though I think it's kind of hacky, it's still a trademark). No over-explaining of any plot points, no catering to any groups that will inevitably bitch and moan about this, that, or the other. The whole movie was punk. I felt like it was 1980 again. Just awesome.
I felt that way as soon as the opening credits popped up with the red scrawled text of the character names. Just astonishing.
Old 05-18-15, 10:16 PM
Banned

I was impressed that Miller had that too. We don't see that done anymore.

I saw what Miller said about where this stands in the continuity for him but... I think he's just not comfortable w/ calling it a reboot, and I can respect that but... still. Fury Road's backstory on Max doesn't jive w/ MM1. It's not a big deal to the plot cuz it doesn't matter but there's a change to it that stands out if you've watched MM1. You can call that bit a retcon Fury Road is a reboot.
Old 05-18-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Saw this today at a matinee. My first reaction was how amazed I was that Miller made an Australian New Wave movie in the year 2015. Fury Road did not "go Hollywood", as I feared it might. The whole movie was punk. I felt like it was 1980 again. Just awesome.
Is that what this is considered? While watching it, I felt like I was watching an 80s arthouse action flick with an all around massive budget. It was kind of a great thing to behold.
Old 05-18-15, 10:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I was impressed that Miller had that too. We don't see that done anymore.

I saw what Miller said about where this stands in the continuity for him but... I think he's just not comfortable w/ calling it a reboot, and I can respect that but... still. Fury Road's backstory on Max doesn't jive w/ MM1. It's not a big deal to the plot cuz it doesn't matter but there's a change to it that stands out if you've watched MM1. You can call that bit a retcon Fury Road is a reboot.
I like Numanoid's logic that each MM film is a legend being retold, so each one doesn't quite line up neatly with the others.
Old 05-18-15, 10:36 PM
Banned

It's very Aussie New Wave w/ a massive budget. New Wave, Aussie Style, is pretty much were Ozploitation came about... I think it ended around mid 1980s. Either way... Miller kept his core intact to what Mad Max and didn't feel ashamed about it. I'm glad WB trusted him so much w/ this. Who owns Mad Max?
Old 05-18-15, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I like Numanoid's logic that each MM film is a legend being retold, so each one doesn't quite line up neatly with the others.
I'm fine w/ that but MM2 and MM3, to me, show that legend/myth aspect more so than MM1 and Fury Road. Those two are told straightforward with total understanding that this is literally happening before our eyes.
Old 05-18-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I'm fine w/ that but MM2 and MM3, to me, show that legend/myth aspect more so than MM1 and Fury Road. Those two are told straightforward with total understanding that this is literally happening before our eyes.
They don't mean because of the narration. They mean in the sense that neither film connects perfectly to the other. Even though they gave Max a streak of grey hair in Mad Max 2, several decades would have had to pass in order to get from the future of Mad Max to the super fucked up future of Mad Max 2 (Max would have to be at least in his late sixties for the world to have decayed so completely between the first two movies). Then there's the fact that radiation didn't seem to be an issue in Mad Max or Mad Max 2 but suddenly was a cause for concern (even water sold by peddlers was potentially irradiated) in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. And then the wasteland of Mad Max: Fury Road is like a combination of the future worlds of Mad Max and Mad Max2 plus a measure of acid.

Max exists in four disparate post apocalyptic futures.
Old 05-18-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fun fact: Miller's wife edited the film. Hell, she's edited his last 4-5 projects. Actually, she pretty much only edits his films according to the IMDB listing. Impressive.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0803459/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr13
Old 05-19-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! I just got back from the theater and I have to say this is is one the most insane, blood gutting, intense, visual pieces of cinema work I've seen in years.

I like that the storyline is simple without any frills or back-story, the movie grabs you right from the start and doesn't let go.

The score was just terrific and up to par for a film with such ferocity (been listing to the track "Brothers In Arms" nonstop).

It has been a while since I walked out from a movie theater with this amount of satisfaction. Hands down the best action movie of the year.
Old 05-19-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My GF is obsessed with MMFR now. We may be seeing it a third time and I am totally okay with that. We may see it in ATMOS next.
Old 05-19-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Just watched it today. I had a blast (though I still think the best in the series is Mad Max 2). I must say that all the claims that Max is a supporting character and that Furiosa is the lead are a bunch of BS. Despite what the reviews (and promotional materials) might lead you to believe, this is still Max’ show. He’s wandered into another mess he’d rather avoid which leads to all sorts of mayhem.

I really liked Charlize Therone as Furiosa but she hardly steals the show. I found her all kinds of badass but she still came across as a supporting character (albeit the most important one of the bunch).

As for series continuity, it didn’t feel like a reboot but rather a part of the series’ loose continuity. As for the visions Max sees, don’t take them too literally. Max sees several people before he fixates on the vision of the child. This can either be an amalgam of all his losses (his wife, child, and friends) or the visions could simply be losses Max endured during adventures that span the gap between Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Mad Max: Fury Road.

I was surprised that the Interceptor appeared more times than I was expecting
Spoiler:
though I was disappointed that Max never got it back.

All in all, a great ride and a BD I look forward to owning.
Old 05-19-15, 06:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Wow! I just got back from the theater and I have to say this is is one the most insane, blood gutting, intense, visual pieces of cinema work I've seen in years.

I like that the storyline is simple without any frills or back-story, the movie grabs you right from the start and doesn't let go.

The score was just terrific and up to par for a film with such ferocity (been listing to the track "Brothers In Arms" nonstop).

It has been a while since I walked out from a movie theater with this amount of satisfaction. Hands down the best action movie of the year.
very well put.
Old 05-19-15, 07:34 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Gave it 3.5 stars BUT for me that is like the equivalent of 6 stars. I hate postapocalyptic crap for the most part, have no interest in the punk scene, not really all that into cars or pointless action, so this movie started at like a -2.5. Seriously. Only reason I went to see it was because of the reviews and expected to hate it anyway. I didn't. It was pretty awesome. Loved that most of the effects were practical, the action was not all super quick cuts that leave you wondering what the fuck just happened, but long, cleverly staged pieces that were innovative super well choreographed and mostly entertaining. I loved how they didn't explain everything (or almost anything). Terrific movie, significantly better than Avengers. Did not love the last 20 minutes or so of the movie which dropped it a little. Storm was awesome. Far exceeded any reasonable expectation.
Old 05-19-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

One would think that with all of the raves on this site the movie would be doing better. Are we not the most accurate representation of what America wants in its movies?
Old 05-19-15, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Gave it 3.5 stars BUT for me that is like the equivalent of 6 stars. I hate postapocalyptic crap for the most part, have no interest in the punk scene, not really all that into cars or pointless action, so this movie started at like a -2.5. Seriously. Only reason I went to see it was because of the reviews and expected to hate it anyway. I didn't. It was pretty awesome. Loved that most of the effects were practical, the action was not all super quick cuts that leave you wondering what the fuck just happened, but long, cleverly staged pieces that were innovative super well choreographed and mostly entertaining. I loved how they didn't explain everything (or almost anything). Terrific movie, significantly better than Avengers. Did not love the last 20 minutes or so of the movie which dropped it a little. Storm was awesome. Far exceeded any reasonable expectation.
So what you're saying is that your preferences/tastes affect the quality of a film?
Old 05-19-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
One would think that with all of the raves on this site the movie would be doing better. Are we not the most accurate representation of what America wants in its movies?
As the R rated sequel to a 30 year old movie, it's doing phenomenally
Old 05-19-15, 11:14 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

So what you're saying is that your preferences/tastes affect the quality of a film?
No just my rating of it. Preferences affect all reviews at some level. I gave it a pretty glowing review.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.