Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot) (July 28, 2017)

I wonder if the big surprise Downey hinted at will be spider-man related.
Old 02-27-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
Black Spider-Man = bigger ticket sales
That's racist. That whole "bigger ticket" thing is just a myth ... Besides, it's not the size of the ticket, it's what you do with the ticket.
Old 02-28-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What if they go with a black Peter Parker but a white Spider-Man?

Old 02-28-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After watching Kingsman, I think Taron Egerton would make a great Spider-Man.
Old 02-28-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
Black Spider-Man = bigger ticket sales
Good movie = even bigger ticket sales!
Old 02-28-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Defiant1
After watching Kingsman, I think Taron Egerton would make a great Spider-Man.
I could get behind that
Old 03-01-15, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Since there was talk of a black Spider-Man (though I'm sure the subject of changing the races of super heroes has been brought up in other threads), I figured this could go here.

Michelle Rodriguez Apologizes After Asking Minority Actors to "Stop Stealing All the White People's Superheroes"

Michelle Rodriguez is the first to admit it: She put her foot in her mouth once again!

On Friday night, the actress voiced her thoughts that minority actors deserve their own characters and shouldn't take on white ones that already exist.

"Because of this whole ‘minorities in Hollywood' thing...it's so stupid," Rodriguez was heard saying in a video posted on TMZ. "Stop stealing all the white people's superheroes. Make up your own."

Less than 24 hours later, the 36-year-old is clarifying her remarks and explaining in more detail what she really wanted to explain.

"What I really meant was that…I think there are many cultures in Hollywood that are not white and that can come up with their own mythology," she said in a video posted on Facebook. "It doesn't matter what culture you come from. I'm just saying that instead of trying to turn a girl character into a guy or instead of trying to turn a white character into a black character or a Latin character, I think that people should stop being lazy and people should actually make an effort in Hollywood to develop their own mythology."

She continued, "It's not about taking Catwoman or Superman or Green Lantern or whatever these characters are and trying to make them fit to whatever cultural background you are. It should be more creative than that and I think people need to stop being lazy and that's what I meant by my comment."

In her three minute video, Rodriguez also argues that different cultures such as Latin, African American, Asian and so on are considered minorities because there aren't enough writers representing them.

However, that shouldn't prevent people from thinking outside the box.

"Stop trying to take what's already there and try to fit a culture into it," she pleaded. "I think it's time to write our own mythology and our own story."

And if you think Rodriguez was "rude" or "stupid," the actress admitted that sometimes she can't control herself.

"I have a tendency to speak without a filter," she admitted. "So I'm sorry about that."
Old 03-01-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think she has a point, although it's back to the argument we've had here about whether aspect's of a character has to do with race or not.
Old 03-01-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

to Michelle Rodriguez. Let's take the culture aspect out of it and get back to being creative and original in the entertainment industry.

Realizing that we will always be subject to rehashes, reboots, and retellings though ... I don't have an issue with making changes that make sense. I don't think the outrage over Johnny Storm was because they cast a black actor -- it was because they cast a black male and a white female as siblings. Yes, they remixed it to make them step-siblings, but that changes a fundamental element of the characters' relationships. Cast a black actress as Sue Storm (which makes a much more rich and profound statement when you get into the whole "invisible" aspect) and no intelligent person bats an eye at the casting of Johnny.
Old 03-01-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don't think the outrage over Johnny Storm was because they cast a black actor -- it was because they cast a black male and a white female as siblings. Yes, they remixed it to make them step-siblings, but that changes a fundamental element of the characters' relationships. Cast a black actress as Sue Storm (which makes a much more rich and profound statement when you get into the whole "invisible" aspect) and no intelligent person bats an eye at the casting of Johnny.
You give way too much credit to the general populace
Old 03-01-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly, I think it all comes down to conditioning. We're conditioned to think that certain characters have to be certain races because....well, they've always been that. So people don't ever think outside of their box.

Moving away from the character, I think it's a serious problem if a black or latino or Asian actor is really fantastic for one of these superhero roles, and he's not even being remotely considered because a fictional character has always been white. That's silly.

The real question is this--are you a fan of these characters because of what they represent or what they physically look like? I think that's a really important question.

Rap was mostly a black medium...now you have Eminem. Oval Office always white a white male thing, now you have a black guy. Things change, I just don't see why the change has to be interpreted as negative.

I think the conversation online should really be about how a black or latino Spider-Man could potentially present a couple new interesting wrinkles into how the story of the character could be told. How it can freshen up the series.

I love superheroes as much as the next person, but I think we need to start broadening our minds a bit.
Old 03-01-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I tend to agree with what Michelle Rodriguez said too. Most of the time when changes are made to an established character it just feels shoehorned in because whoever is in charge of these films feels like there's some obligation to include more minorities. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing but honestly there are characters out there that represent various races and genders that could be turned into on-screen characters or new characters could be established and would likely be accepted. Taking a character that already exists one way and changing it just to make it fit doesn't seem ideal necessarily and truthfully a lot of the times changes made don't seem like they're being done because they're choosing the best person for the role.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-01-15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Edited for brevity:
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Honestly, I think it all comes down to conditioning. We're conditioned to think that certain characters have to be certain races because....well, they've always been that. So people don't ever think outside of their box.

Moving away from the character, I think it's a serious problem if a black or latino or Asian actor is really fantastic for one of these superhero roles, and he's not even being remotely considered because a fictional character has always been white. That's silly.

The real question is this--are you a fan of these characters because of what they represent or what they physically look like? I think that's a really important question.

I love superheroes as much as the next person, but I think we need to start broadening our minds a bit.

You should read the James Bond vs. Shaft debate ...

(I agree.) (I also applaud Mike86's comments.)
Old 03-01-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Rap was mostly a black medium...now you have Eminem.
Spoiler:
Old 03-01-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Michelle Rodriguez could play Olivia Queen, the Green Arrow.

They already have "Arrow" as a tv series which doesn't seem to be canonical with the DCCU, so for the movies they movies they might as well go in a completely different direction and switch gender and race to distinguish the characters. Not to mention to distinguish Green Arrow further from Hawkeye in The Avengers.
Old 03-02-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drew Goddard to Write and Direct, Name might be Spectacular Spider-Man & No Arad:

http://www.latino-review.com/news/ex...ector-revealed

There has been much reported on and some news neglected in recent weeks. Kevin Feige and the Marvel team will be producing the new series at Sony in what is envisioned as a three part series to come out over consecutive summers. There is talk about calling the series SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN after yet another Marvel comics series ala the last films being called “Amazing.”

Feige was allowed to join the process only after Ike Perlmutter, Feige’s boss and the man behind the curtain, insisted that former partner and one time friend Avi Arad be removed from the film series. Since Sony had installed Arad as a courtesy back in 2000 it was an easy removal legally. But since former Sony Studio head Amy Pascal made herself a producer on the film on the way out the door, I understand there was a lot of acrimony when Amy informed Avi he was out. Arad will receive an EP credit on the film and instead focus on making a feature out of GHOST IN THE SHELL without any Asian actors.

I understand that Avi’s partner on the recent less-than-stellar reboot Matt Tolmach was so shocked when Pascal (his close friend) informed him she was in and he was out he is now wandering the Sony lot dazed, like after a headbutt from the Rhino.

So the thinking at the moment is that Sony will faze out all the Spidey Verse films they were developing. Yes even the Aunt May film (that was real!) and focus on a story involving Spidey versus the Sinister Six. At one point they were developing a film that was just going to be a spinoff called THE SINISTER SIX. That’s scrapped but the big news is that the director of that film, Drew Goddard, will write AND direct the Spectacular Spider Man movie.
Old 03-02-15, 02:46 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Solid choice.
Old 03-02-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Spider-Man (Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot) (July 28, 2017, D: Goddard)

Lots of strong rumors about Dylan Obrien being the new spidey, but the latest report put a halt to that.
Old 03-02-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I tend to agree with what Michelle Rodriguez said too. Most of the time when changes are made to an established character it just feels shoehorned in because whoever is in charge of these films feels like there's some obligation to include more minorities. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing but honestly there are characters out there that represent various races and genders that could be turned into on-screen characters or new characters could be established and would likely be accepted. Taking a character that already exists one way and changing it just to make it fit doesn't seem ideal necessarily and truthfully a lot of the times changes made don't seem like they're being done because they're choosing the best person for the role.
When Timm was filling out his Justice League, he chose Stewart as GL and Hawkwoman instead of Hawkman, but fully fleshed them out as characters (in some ways a lot better than decades of comics did). But he didn't otherwise change much. When DC was getting criticism for killing off the minority versions of their superheroes (Atom, Firestorm, etc.), what they were really doing was reverting the characters to their silver age, recognizable roots; this is the same thing that will happen with Female Thor, Falcon Cap, etc., they'll eventually revert back to the norm.

The problem with all-new creations, in the comic book world, at least, is that they're largely ignored because nobody wants change (whether or not they admit it). Milestone created a whole world of minority superheroes that have largely (besides Static) been ignored. They tried really hard with Blue Beetle but are finally bringing Ted Kord back. I don't really remember how they replaced the golden age versions of the superheroes with the silver age versions, but that kind of progression isn't likely to happen this time around. I can't really name many new characters since the advent of Image (and Spawn was black) that have had lasting appeal.
Old 03-02-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I agree with Rodriguez in that she clarified saying Minorities need their own characters and not just Minority versions of White ones. Minorities don't need White people's sloppy seconds.
Old 03-02-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I will say that although I prefer original characters...I don't have a problem with different versions of characters if it's in a Alternative World or Time line because when you think about it, the variations are endless. I can also be ok with it if a character TRULY dies. i.e. Blue Beetle, Crimson Avenger, Mr. Terrific. etc This way the original version can remain untouched either because they still exists in another world/timeline of because they're dead and someone else took on the role.
Old 03-02-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

As a Wally West fan, I can tell you that nobody truly dies in comics, even if years and years and years pass...
Old 03-02-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As a Wally West fan, I can tell you that nobody truly dies in comics, even if years and years and years pass...
Unless the show in which said character was in get's cancelled after he died in the season 2 finale.
Old 03-02-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Unless the show in which said character was in get's cancelled after he died in the season 2 finale.
Old 03-02-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Hopefully, they'll be smart enough to give us a college-aged Spider-man - not only will that make him more of a contemporary with his fellow AVENGERS, but it will avoid giving fans yet another origin or shortly after origin story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.