Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot) (July 28, 2017, D: Goddard)

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Unless the show in which said character was in get's cancelled after he died in the season 2 finale.
This is in reference to what?
Old 03-02-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
This is in reference to what?
The TV show Young Justice. Wally West "dies" in the end of season 2, and there were supposedly plans to explain what happened in the following season (Speedforce and all that) but the show was cancelled.
Old 03-02-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot) (July 28, 2017)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 03-02-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Didnt he say mostly?
Old 03-02-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The TV show Young Justice. Wally West "dies" in the end of season 2, and there were supposedly plans to explain what happened in the following season (Speedforce and all that) but the show was cancelled.
He'll be back... but as a black kid. Which is surprisingly on-topic kind of.
Old 03-02-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I agree with Rodriguez in that she clarified saying Minorities need their own characters and not just Minority versions of White ones. Minorities don't need White people's sloppy seconds.
The problem with this is that it's really, really hard for Marvel and DC to come up with new characters that 'stick.'

How many characters can you name that created after 1970 who are popular enough to support their own books that aren't connected to another character? Wolverine. Punisher. Lobo. Deadpool. (We could include any number of X-Men in here, though. That franchise sort of has its own set rules, though few characters can achieve marquee status outside of their X-books.)

Nearly all of the popular characters are rooted in the pre-civil rights eras of the golden and silver age, so they're all going to be white in their most recognizable versions.

Also combine this with the fact that comic book writers and artists are reluctant to create wholly new characters they won't have a significant ownership stake in.
Old 03-02-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Fuck. Every time I see people talk about this show I get pissed at how it was canceled. Every damn time. It was so good. Grrr
Old 03-02-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Fuck. Every time I see people talk about this show I get pissed at how it was canceled. Every damn time. It was so good. Grrr
Given they will never bring it back (unless Netflix or Amazon agree to do another season of it for their streaming service), I'd like to see a series of DTV movies that pick up where the show left off.
Old 03-02-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The problem with this is that it's really, really hard for Marvel and DC to come up with new characters that 'stick.'

How many characters can you name that created after 1970 who are popular enough to support their own books that aren't connected to another character? Wolverine. Punisher. Lobo. Deadpool. (We could include any number of X-Men in here, though. That franchise sort of has its own set rules, though few characters can achieve marquee status outside of their X-books.)

Nearly all of the popular characters are rooted in the pre-civil rights eras of the golden and silver age, so they're all going to be white in their most recognizable versions.

Also combine this with the fact that comic book writers and artists are reluctant to create wholly new characters they won't have a significant ownership stake in.
Fair Enough. Look, I don't really blame Comic Companies and Writers for making these changes to drum up attention because when all is said and done...IT'S A BUSINESS. They have to figure out new ways to bring folks in. Long time Comic book fans either forget this or they turn their nose up to it.
Old 03-02-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As a Wally West fan, I can tell you that nobody truly dies in comics, even if years and years and years pass...
It's been 29 years since I have seen the real Superboy, though it has been suggested by those in the know that was a conscious legal maneuver since his legal rights and ownership situation were different than Superman's rights.
Old 03-02-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Fair Enough. Look, I don't really blame Comic Companies and Writers for making these changes to drum up attention because when all is said and done...IT'S A BUSINESS. They have to figure out new ways to bring folks in. Long time Comic book fans either forget this or they turn their nose up to it.
I've ways thought it was sort of the opposite. Comics, for so long now, have been catering to a locked-in fanbase. These changes almost never stick, and when all is said and done, basically just move in circles.
Old 03-02-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I've ways thought it was sort of the opposite. Comics, for so long now, have been catering to a locked-in fanbase. These changes almost never stick, and when all is said and done, basically just move in circles.
But even if the change is short term, it still brings attention.
Old 03-02-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://origin.www.vanityfair.com/hol...n-drew-goddard

"According to Latino Review, a large part of the new Spider-Man movie (called Spectacular Spider-Man) will feature Iron Man and Spider-Man going toe-to-toe as a test of sorts to see if Spider-Man is tough enough to be in the Avengers. Spidey’s wise cracks vs. Iron-Man’s sarcasm? Everybody wins! "

***I will the be the first one in line for this, if it is true***
Old 03-02-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Exactly. Changes to a character are made to appease a certain group of people and the problem is a lot of comic fans reject whatever change is made and rarely do new fans get drawn in just by making a change to a character's race, gender, orientation, or whatever. Now granted a film may be somewhat different but overall changes just seemingly are made as a desperate attempt to shake things up but normally don't stick and things eventually go back to how they were rendering the changes pretty much pointless.
Old 03-03-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

"According to Latino Review, a large part of the new Spider-Man movie (called Spectacular Spider-Man) will feature Iron Man and Spider-Man going toe-to-toe as a test of sorts to see if Spider-Man is tough enough to be in the Avengers. Spidey’s wise cracks vs. Iron-Man’s sarcasm? Everybody wins! "

maybe this is what RDJ was teasing with that twitter post a bit ago.
Old 03-03-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

Hmmm...so now Iron Man has to be pimped out to every solo movie too? Too much of a good thing if you ask me.
Old 03-03-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Hmmm...so now Iron Man has to be pimped out to every solo movie too? Too much of a good thing if you ask me.
Well RDJ had talked a while back about using him in a lesser capacity. Basically, instead of his headlining his own movies, he'd be another Samuel L. Jackson to this franchise. I'm sure Disney negotiated a smaller fee to use him that way.

That said, I still want an Iron Man 4 to resolve the scenario set up by All Hail The King.
Old 03-03-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

^ Yeah. Gimme the real Mandarin, dammit! I did enjoy Kingsley's take on the character but I wanna see the true Mandarin in all his glory.
Old 03-03-15, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well RDJ had talked a while back about using him in a lesser capacity. Basically, instead of his headlining his own movies, he'd be another Samuel L. Jackson to this franchise. I'm sure Disney negotiated a smaller fee to use him that way.

That said, I still want an Iron Man 4 to resolve the scenario set up by All Hail The King.
Yes. We need resolution to AHTK.
Old 03-03-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I wonder if we'll actually get a fourth Iron Man film or not. It seems like it would have to be a long ways off given that Marvel's already announced a bunch of their upcoming films. I wonder if they're trying to use Stark as much as possible because Downey Jr. may be done soon.
Old 03-03-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
^ Yeah. Gimme the real Mandarin, dammit! I did enjoy Kingsley's take on the character but I wanna see the true Mandarin in all his glory.
This will never happen. The IM3 version of the Mandarin is the Mandarin in the MCU. Everyone just needs to accept it.

I'm stoked about Goddard taking this on.
Old 03-03-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
This will never happen. The IM3 version of the Mandarin is the Mandarin in the MCU. Everyone just needs to accept it.
Not according to All Hail the King.
Old 03-03-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
You couldn't be more wrong.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1put4y" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(5) 2014 - Marvel One-Shot - ALL HAIL THE KING... by aquiestajesus
Old 03-03-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No way would they do another IM film with MDJ and not use the real Mandarin. Would be the best way for it to conclude with the current actors.
Old 03-03-15, 02:27 PM
Banned

That One Shot is so fucking good.

Hell of a fucking tease.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.