Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot) (July 28, 2017)

So... would audiences be more open to a black Peter Parker or some nobody like Morales as Spider-Man?

I unequivocally think it's the former because Peter Parker is synonymous with Spidey. Same as Bruce/Bats and Kent/Supes. I think audiences would turn on the series if it wasn't Parker.
Old 02-17-15, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'd be fine with Miles Morales but like I said earlier in the thread I think Parker should come first. Like someone earlier said, introduce a young Morales in the new film to set him up to eventually become Spidey. If a character is established early people will grow to care about them too and honestly that works with the model Marvel seems to be using for the overall MCU. It may be a ways off but having that character there for the future makes sense.
Old 02-17-15, 11:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
It's obvious we'll go around in circles on this (yay, internet!). I'm fine with change, but not change just for the sake of change. I just feel Peter Parker is one of those characters that should not change. Again, I'm perfectly fine with spider-man changing races, sex, sexual orientation, whatever. Give me a movie with Miles Morales or invent a new character - totally on board with that change (although I doubt marvel would do that for the first movie).

I also would be totally fine with changes to the following characters appearances (race/hair color/whatever) - Tony Stark, Hawkeye, Bruce banner, any x-man (yes, including wolverine), fantastic four, iron fist, doc strange, daredevil, any DC hero not named batman or superman, speedball, nova, marvel boy, night thrasher (yeah i read new warriors!), blade, ghost rider, falcon, ms. Marvel, mockingbird, ant-man, wasp, the list goes on. Parker is just that iconic to me.
Okay. I doubt they'll cast any minorities in the role anyway. But if they do, you can buy the first round.
Old 02-18-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

For shits and giggles I tossed this wallpaper together since I love that costume above:

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'd be fine with Miles Morales but like I said earlier in the thread I think Parker should come first. Like someone earlier said, introduce a young Morales in the new film to set him up to eventually become Spidey. If a character is established early people will grow to care about them too and honestly that works with the model Marvel seems to be using for the overall MCU. It may be a ways off but having that character there for the future makes sense.
This seems like a likely route. A black Spider-man right out of the gate in the MCU is never gonna happen. Fun to discuss though.
Old 02-18-15, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what kind of uproar there would be if they made the black panther white.
Old 02-18-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Guys, we've vortexed ourselves.

Well played, Taffer.
Old 02-18-15, 07:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I wonder what kind of uproar there would be if they made the black panther white.
Old 02-18-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

Well played, Taffer.
I don't think there's been enough angry Wikipedia for this to be a real Taffer vortex.
Old 02-18-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Probably. At least on the interweb level. Because it doesn't make sense.

Marvel is awesome right now. I'll take gay-black-geriatric Spiderman if that's what they decide on.
Old 02-18-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Marvel is awesome right now. I'll take gay-black-geriatric Spiderman if that's what they decide on.
I think that movie was already released on Parks And Rec - 50 Shaved Old Gays
Old 02-18-15, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

Well played, Taffer.
I wasn't responsible for this racial vortex. Not all off-topic discussions are started by me, you know.
Old 02-18-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

To be fair, the race talk was directly related to the casting of Spider-man, so it wasn't too far off topic.
Old 02-18-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
To be fair, the race talk was directly related to the casting of Spider-man, so it wasn't too far off topic.
IIRC, it went:

writers of Spidey -> writers of Community -> Donald Glover -> Donald Glover wanting to be Spidey -> merits of a black Spider Man/Parker
Old 02-18-15, 03:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what "they" were said to be saying last year: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00070571.html
"Producers Will Never Replace Peter Parker in 'Amazing Spider-Man' Franchise"

May 01, 2014 08:09:11 GMT

Avi Arad and Matthew Tolmach don't think passing the Spidey torch to another character in the comic books' expanded universe is a good idea.

Miles Morales ("Ultimate Spider-Man"), Ben Reilly (Scarlet Spider in "Clone Saga"), and Miguel O'Hara ("Spider-Man 2099") have no chance to appear in "The Amazing Spider-Man" movies as long as Avi Arad and Matthew Tolmach serve as producers. While Andrew Garfield previously said that he could see Morales replacing Peter Parker, both producers rule it out.

"The one thing you cannot do, when you have a phenomena that has stood the test of time, you have to be true to the real character inside - who is Peter Parker? What are the biggest effects on his life? Then you can draw in time, and you can consider today's world in many ways," Arad says. "But to have multiple ones... I don't know if you remember, but Marvel tried it. And it was almost the end of Spider-Man."

However, Tolmach says Parker could pass the torch to other comic Spidey when they are no longer overseeing the franchise. "As far as we're concerned. The guys who take it over after us... Who knows...," so he says as quoted by The Playlist.

The possibility of seeing other characters, other than Parker, donning Spidey suit was raised by Comic Book Resources in an interview with Garfield. The current Spider-Man depicter was especially asked about Morales, a Black Hispanic teen, who became a successor to Parker. Morales' introduction was applauded for making Spider-Man a racially diverse character.

"Miles Morales was a huge moment in this character's comic book life," Garfield said. "And I do believe that we can do that. It's something I'm really interested in figuring out; an eloquent way of coexisting, or passing on the torch. I don't have an answer, but I think it's actually a really important move. I think it's a really beautiful and important move."

"A hero is a hero, whether you're a man, woman, gay, lesbian, straight, black, white or red all over - it doesn't matter," he added.
Old 02-18-15, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Probably. At least on the interweb level. Because it doesn't make sense.

What if Wakanda was relocated to say Algeria or Libya, where the population tends to look more French and/or Italian. They're still 'Africans', just not black. And the 'Black Panther' name can be rationalized as that type of animal happens to be indigenous to the area that Wakanda is in. Or they embraced some other Black Panther myth from another long extinct African tribe.

I know it's a stretch, but it's somewhat rationalized in this scenario.

Personally I think Peter Parker can be any race/religious background. He just needs to be called Peter Parker and have financial/girl/family problems. Is it ever mentioned what background 'Parker' family is? Scottish, Irish, Dutch, etc?
Old 02-18-15, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
Here is what "they" were said to be saying last year: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00070571.html
That appears to just be what they wanted for the Webb series. It could have been thrown completely out the window with the Marvel deal.
Old 02-19-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Taffer.... you're just shitty at getting some stuff. Let it go. It's not a big deal.

Don't Drax it up too much.
Originally Posted by taffer
Holy shit. You're the one Draxing it up. It's going over your head, not mine. I NEVER once said I thought the Spider-Man/Trejo thing was serious. It did NOT go over my head.

Go back and re-read my original post. I said right then and there I knew it was a joke. I was only ever asking if it was a running joke like master dogs or peeing in her butt or any other countless running joke around here. That was the entire point of my original post. Then some fucking idiots who have the reading comprehension of a two year old misread my post. They're the fucking idiots, not me.
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Ha ha ha, draxing. OK, now we have a new running joke.
Originally Posted by bluetoast
Draxing it up...I like it. Thanks Snake.
I disappear for a bit and Snake steals it ... Son of a ... Where's the DVDTalk Writers' Guild when you need them?
Old 02-23-15, 04:52 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Jump to the 44 min mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ludM8L2sIRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-23-15, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

So how reliable are that guy's predictions?
Old 02-23-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

if you want to read it:

One of the obvious ways to separate the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe-approved version of Spider-Man from the previous iterations would be to use the more recent Miles Morales version of the character from the comics rather than the obvious and classic Peter Parker take seen in the previous films.

At the time of the Marvel and Sony joint announcement which revealed that the webslinger would be sharing on screen time with the Avengers, Sony Pictures president Doug Belgrad specifically mentioned Peter Parker by name which seemed to be the end of the talk of Morales making it to the screen.

Today though, The Wrap's Jeff Sneider has some new information from his trusted sources on a recent episode of the Meet the Movie Press Podcast:

"This is not set in stone, guys, but I'm telling you right now: Spider-Man's not going to be white. I'm 95% sure. Spider-Man's going to be most likely black. But there's a chance he could also be latino. 95% sure: not white. I don't think it's going to be Peter Parker."

Earlier this month came casting rumors that Dylan O'Brien and Logan Lerman were the favorites to take on the Peter Parker role. If the new report is true, it would fit in line with Sony's statement they plan to do a much younger version of the hero as Morales was a very young half African-American and half Latino character in the comics.

Whomever is cast as the new Spider-Man is expected to make his first appearance in Marvel's "Captain America: Civil War" which starts shooting later this year.
Old 02-23-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Black Spider-Man = bigger ticket sales
Old 02-23-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm cool with a black Peter Parker but making the character Miles Morales would be a bad move. Simply because fans have been wanting to see Peter Parker done right and under Marvel's direct control.

It'd be like finally getting a Batman movie (in a scenario where there were no good ones) done right but have Batman be Jean-Paul Valley (or Dick Grayson) instead of Bruce Wayne. It's still technically Batman but the second string version.
Old 02-23-15, 05:20 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

what about a latino peter parker or black miles morales? everyone can all collectively lose their shit in a wtf moment.
Old 02-23-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I guess whatever. I'd personally prefer that the character wasn't changed but if it happens I'll get over it.
Old 02-23-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
what about a latino peter parker or black miles morales? everyone can all collectively lose their shit in a wtf moment.
Peter can be Latino. Instead of Mary his mother is Maria. And she can be Hispanic and Black so that Peter can end up being both.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.