Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Spider-Man (Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot) (July 28, 2017)

Originally Posted by Supermallet
For the record, I'm down with whoever gives the best performance as Spider-Man. Doesn't have to be white or black or purple or green or even male. Just get the best actor/actress for the job.
Tecnically, Spider-Man has to be male. It's in the name. Spider-Woman is an entirely different character.
Old 02-17-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

So let me get this straight...

Changing Peter Parker's ethnicity = diving deeper into the casting pool, casting the best actor for the job
Changing the genders of the Ghostbusters (even though they're not even playing the same characters as the original Ghostbusters) = gimmick

Does that make sense to anyone else?

For the record, I'm down with whoever gives the best performance as Spider-Man. Doesn't have to be white or black or purple or green or even male. Just get the best actor/actress for the job.

And I always like how people say changing someone's race "needlessly" shouldn't be done. Again, what is so specific about Parker's ethnicity that he HAS to be white for the character to work? Nothing.
Honestly though the majority of time there's no real reasoning behind changes like that. Most of the time when it happens the only real reason behind doing it is the studio or filmmakers are trying to be more politically correct which I get to an extent since we live in a society that's more accepting of various diversities in this day and age as opposed to the times that a lot of these characters were originally created, but it doesn't always boil down to the person that they're picking and changing whatever aspect of an established character being the best actor or actress for the job. I pefectly accept people of other races, genders, sexual orientations, etc., but honestly when a character is portrayed a certain way for years its easy to get used to it and for it to be changed usually just comes off kind of silly and like a change that's being forced in. I also don't think its right for people to throw out that a person must be a racist or sexist or whatever because they don't like changes like that being made.
Old 02-17-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Poor kid with a murdered uncle, living with his aunt in the most ethnically diverse urban area in the world. Pretty much has to be white, right?
Any Puerto Rican Jews working in the movie biz that could tackle the row?
Old 02-17-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

And I always like how people say changing someone's race "needlessly" shouldn't be done. Again, what is so specific about Parker's ethnicity that he HAS to be white for the character to work? Nothing.
What's so specific about Batman/Bruce Wayne that he has to be white? Superman/Clark Kent? Nothing, other than they've been portrayed that way forever. But where's the uproar about not casting a black guy instead of affleck or cavill?

Peter Parker is in that same boat. He's arguably Marvel's most recognizable character, and he's been that way (white) forever.

Saying that doesn't make someone racist or politically incorrect, or whatever.

For the record, I initially thought it was weird that Johnny Storm would be black while Sue Storm is white, but hey, step-brothers/adoption/whatever. But Johnny Storm is not at the same level of recognition as Peter Parker. Not even close.
Old 02-17-15, 07:50 PM
Banned

Clark Kent is an oddball. What are the chances that somewhere out there is an alien race that looks exactly like white humans? Even if there is some alien race that does look human, its more than likely going to have at least a few differences such as Vulcan pointy ears or Klingon forehead ridges or something. But Kryptonians look EXACTLY like humans.
Old 02-17-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Changing Peter Parker's ethnicity = diving deeper into the casting pool, casting the best actor for the job
Changing the genders of the Ghostbusters (even though they're not even playing the same characters as the original Ghostbusters) = gimmick

Nope, only because the two have little to do with each other. Unless you want to point out the specific individuals that have contradictory view points on the two.

Also, I mentioned this in the Ghostbusters thread, but I haven't seen any indication that they were casting the best actor for the job for that movie; instead everything has pointed to them fully knowing that they wanted to go with an all female cast.
Old 02-17-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I hope that's not directed at me as I never once complained about an all-female Ghostbusters cast. My issue has always been fear that the same magic might not be recaptured by any new Ghostbusters movie (even if the originals were the leads). However, I'll just wait to see the reboot before I cast any judgment.
Old 02-17-15, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly though the majority of time there's no real reasoning behind changes like that. Most of the time when it happens the only real reason behind doing it is the studio or filmmakers are trying to be more politically correct which I get to an extent since we live in a society that's more accepting of various diversities in this day and age as opposed to the times that a lot of these characters were originally created, but it doesn't always boil down to the person that they're picking and changing whatever aspect of an established character being the best actor or actress for the job. I pefectly accept people of other races, genders, sexual orientations, etc., but honestly when a character is portrayed a certain way for years its easy to get used to it and for it to be changed usually just comes off kind of silly and like a change that's being forced in. I also don't think its right for people to throw out that a person must be a racist or sexist or whatever because they don't like changes like that being made.
How do you know what the reason is most of the time? Do you work at the studios? Are you in the meetings where they're making these decisions? Or are you just assuming that's the reason? And even if it were, what's wrong with giving more high profile opportunities to minorities?

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
What's so specific about Batman/Bruce Wayne that he has to be white? Superman/Clark Kent? Nothing, other than they've been portrayed that way forever. But where's the uproar about not casting a black guy instead of affleck or cavill?

Peter Parker is in that same boat. He's arguably Marvel's most recognizable character, and he's been that way (white) forever.

For the record, I initially thought it was weird that Johnny Storm would be black while Sue Storm is white, but hey, step-brothers/adoption/whatever. But Johnny Storm is not at the same level of recognition as Peter Parker. Not even close.
I'm sure some people have been having those discussions about Superman and Batman. Heck, fans of Doctor Who have been having this discussion. I doubt you'll see an uproar over Peter Parker either. One discussion on one message board does not equal an uproar.
Old 02-17-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure some people have been having those discussions about Superman and Batman. Heck, fans of Doctor Who have been having this discussion. I doubt you'll see an uproar over Peter Parker either. One discussion on one message board does not equal an uproar.
For years I've wondered why Superman just happens to be white. Heck, in most continuities Ma and Pa Kent acknowledge to the public that Clark is adopted. He needn't be white.

And as a huge Batman fan, I would have no issues with a black (or other non-white race) Bruce Wayne.
Old 02-17-15, 08:18 PM

I'm specifically talking about uproar on dvdtalk.
Old 02-17-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So... DVDtalk: Civil War?
Old 02-17-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you know what the reason is most of the time? Do you work at the studios? Are you in the meetings where they're making these decisions? Or are you just assuming that's the reason? And even if it were, what's wrong with giving more high profile opportunities to minorities?
I admittedly am assuming but it definitely comes off that way. Also I in no way said anything is wrong with a minority getting a high profile role just that making a change to an established character normally feels unneeded. I love how everyone is so politically correct now days that you have to defend a rather simple premise or basically be branded a racist or whatever. I'd feel exactly the same if it was a character like Blade or some other character of ethnicity being changed to Caucasian or whatever too.
Old 02-17-15, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So... DVDtalk: Civil War?
All i know is when they eventually cast Leslie Jones as Peter Parker, I'm gonna lose my shit.
Old 02-17-15, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

I admittedly am assuming but it definitely comes off that way. Also I in no way said anything is wrong with a minority getting a high profile role just that making a change to an established character normally feels unneeded. I love how everyone is so politically correct now days that you have to defend a rather simple premise or basically be branded a racist or whatever. I'd feel exactly the same if it was a character like Blade or some other character of ethnicity being changed to Caucasian or whatever too.
I never called you a racist. I just find it interesting how people resist change.
Old 02-17-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never called you a racist. I just find it interesting how people resist change.
Maybe you didn't outright say it but I feel as though some people are kind of implying that to those of us who don't want changes made. It isn't so much that I resist changes just that for characters that have been established one way for decades I'd prefer changes not be made. For all my bitching if a change was made I'd likely still see the film. See me last year with The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
Old 02-17-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you didn't outright say it but I feel as though some people are kind of implying that to those of us who don't want changes made.
Hey, it's okay. In this thread you're a racist and in the Ghostbusters 3 thread myself a bunch of others are sexist pigs.

Nobody is allowed to have a differing opinion anymore without being labeled something in this PC-driven society we're in. That's just how it is in 2015.
Old 02-17-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm down for a black Spider-Man in fact...

No Wesley Snipes as Spidey = no sale.

It's simple as that.
Old 02-17-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taffer
The majority of comic characters are white, but that's simply because the majority of them were created in the 40s, 50s, and 60s before diversity started becoming accepted.
Maintaining a racist standard because it is now considered tradition doesn't make it any less racist.

And movies the comics. The film and tv adaptations give us a chance to do things differently. Like have Wolverine be tall and hunky. (I hope someone was fired for that blunder!)
Old 02-17-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
And movies the comics. The film and tv adaptations give us a chance to do things differently. Like have Wolverine be tall and hunky. (I hope someone was fired for that blunder!)
It would have been an even better accomplishment if a shorter less handsome actor was able to pull off the role and connect with the audience. Not much of a fan of Jackman's dull and uninspired portrayal.
Old 02-17-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Superman is iconic to the point where if he doesn't look a certain way it just doesn't look right. A black or blond Superman just wouldn't look right. Batman is in a similar situation, though since his hair is covered by his cowl you have some leeway in how Bruce Wayne looks.

Spider-Man, while iconic in his own right, has his face and body fully covered, so it could be almost anyone under the mask. Peter Parker could be caucasian, African-American, Latino, or Asian.
Old 02-17-15, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Preterite
Maintaining a racist standard because it is now considered tradition doesn't make it any less racist.
You conveniently erased and ignored the rest of my post because it completely disproves what you just said. They are not maintaining a racist standard at all. Many new comic characters who are minorities have been created over the last 10-20 years.

Creating a new character who is a minority (like Miles Morales) is good. Retconning an already established character (like Peter Parker) into a minority for no real practical reason is just beyond fucking stupid as hell.

It's not racist to say you don't want established characters to change races. It's just keeping some consistency is all. I like minority characters like Miles Morales. Cassandra Cain (who became Batgirl after Barbara Gordon was paralyzed) is one of my favorite comic characters of all time, and she is Asian. I'm not racist just because I don't want Peter to be retconned into another race. I just want Peter to stay the same as he's always been. That's all.
Old 02-17-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Changing one or more of the core Ghostbusters is one thing. It would be a natural evolution. Flipping the entire group on it's head is a gimmick.

But where's the uproar about not casting a black guy instead of affleck or cavill?
Because they already got the gig? Spidey is up for grabs. Also, pretty sure there is a strong contingent that would be open to a black Batman over Affleck.
Old 02-17-15, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Superman is iconic to the point where if he doesn't look a certain way it just doesn't look right. A black or blond Superman just wouldn't look right. Batman is in a similar situation, though since his hair is covered by his cowl you have some leeway in how Bruce Wayne looks.

Spider-Man, while iconic in his own right, has his face and body fully covered, so it could be almost anyone under the mask. Peter Parker could be caucasian, African-American, Latino, or Asian.
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this - but Peter Parker (as a secret identity) plays such a huge role in who spider-man is. The trials that Parker goes through in his every day life are just as important as those trials he goes through while wearing the mask. Peter Parker is a more important identity than Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent put together.

Yes, spider-man could be any race (and is in some comics, as I stated earlier), but to me, it "wouldn't look right" if Peter Parker were blond, another race. Another character that is another race and spider-man? Perfect, bring it on. But not Peter Parker.
Old 02-17-15, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

And if they decided to make Parker black, or Native American, or Vietnamese in these movies, that will affect your enjoyment and appreciation of the character how exactly?

The best stories should be open to interpretation. Look at how many different versions of various Shakespeare plays there are. The issue here isn't with the characters or the stories, but with audiences afraid of change.
Old 02-17-15, 11:09 PM

It's obvious we'll go around in circles on this (yay, internet!). I'm fine with change, but not change just for the sake of change. I just feel Peter Parker is one of those characters that should not change. Again, I'm perfectly fine with spider-man changing races, sex, sexual orientation, whatever. Give me a movie with Miles Morales or invent a new character - totally on board with that change (although I doubt marvel would do that for the first movie).

I also would be totally fine with changes to the following characters appearances (race/hair color/whatever) - Tony Stark, Hawkeye, Bruce banner, any x-man (yes, including wolverine), fantastic four, iron fist, doc strange, daredevil, any DC hero not named batman or superman, speedball, nova, marvel boy, night thrasher (yeah i read new warriors!), blade, ghost rider, falcon, ms. Marvel, mockingbird, ant-man, wasp, the list goes on. Parker is just that iconic to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.