Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Swordfish was an action movie? I've never seen it.

I'll give him a pass on VH. That was being done before X2 released. Always weirds me out seeing a clean shaved Logan in X2.
Old 02-16-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I could totally see John Wayne being gay. He just sort of gives off a gay vibe sometimes...
Really? Huh. He was AWESOME in Hondo! CMON
Old 02-16-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Swordfish was an action movie? I've never seen it.

I'll give him a pass on VH. That was being done before X2 released. Always weirds me out seeing a clean shaved Logan in X2.
Swordfish is entertaining as hell. Love the opening monologue/sequence. Halle Berry also shows of her tits.
Old 02-16-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Swordfish is an action film. The action is good. A few turd moments made it terrible. The club-scene-ey atmosphere (any Ed Hardy wearing douchebag would love it). I understand how wire transfers work - and it's offensively stupid to think, that in this age, that is still a thing. I have a little understand of encryption and hacking - and all of that stuff is offensively stupid and Hollywood. Also, I recall a the ending helicopter explosion being one of the first 'obviously digital' effects in a big Hollywood movie. It's like on the level of Asylum or Sci-Fi channel effects.

Was this thread about Ellen Page being gay?
Old 02-16-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I may give the HD-DVD a spin today. The blowjob hacking scene was cool. Great motivation.
Old 02-16-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I could totally see John Wayne being gay. He just sort of gives off a gay vibe sometimes...
It would explain why he's always walking sideways.
Old 02-16-14, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....goddamnit, Coral. Now I'm going to think that from now on.
Old 02-16-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duff beer
^^that rob shneider?? What movie is that?
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-uv_WGEHr4I?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I dunno. Nathan Lane made a pretty convincing John Wayne impersonation in The Birdcage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TmO1R-GqD50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-14, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yes, it would be incredibly bold to announce she's a believing Christian.
Actually, it would. What percentage of the movie & tv industry would you estimate is made up of believing Christians (as opposed to non-believers)?

It's not very likely that directors/actors, actresses/crew face sets on which they are constantly surrounded by religious talk or influences (such as curtailing the profanity that is evident on practically any special feature commentary/behind-the-scenes featurette/blooper reel along with the diva-like behavior, tantrums, etc. that often accompany stage & screen productions). On the other hand, a Christian working in this environment is most likely going to be constantly bombarded with this during working hours (and that doesn't include hearing the tales of the after-hours carousing or on-location affairs that go on).

Anyone think that Page's announcement will receive negative reaction from her peers (the few who didn't already know)? Think she won't be invited to take meetings or attend awards shows/parties? Think any of her peers would feel uncomfortable around her or that they would have to censor their discussions?

Now ask those same questions about a person 'coming out' as a Christian, and honestly evaluate who would face more negative reactions in the industry (and perhaps face more possibility of having their careers affected).

I really like Page's acting...wonder if she didn't take on as many "romantic" roles because of her "underage" appearance (Hard Candy) or whether she didn't feel comfortable playing heterosexual romantic roles. Her announcement doesn't affect how viewers see her in her bigger roles (such as Inception) or even the pregnant teen in Juno in the manner that Rock Hudson's fans were shocked to learn that all of his many heterosexual roles were, in fact, "just acting." The only way Page's career might have been affected would be if she had been a huge draw as a heterosexual romantic lead (which she wasn't); in fact, this may open up other roles for her. Perhaps she's lobbying for the lead of the 15-year-old co-lead in a Hollywood remake of "Blue is the Warmest Color."

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-17-14 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Any bets on when Kevin Spacey will finally fess up?

Seriously, I don't know why Hollywood stars are so shy about it...it's one of the few industries where it can actually help your career instead of hurt it. Then again, I'm also of the opinion that too much fuss is made over it, so perhaps that's why some stars remain silent.
Old 02-17-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Seriously, I don't know why Hollywood stars are so shy about it...it's one of the few industries where it can actually help your career instead of hurt it. Then again, I'm also of the opinion that too much fuss is made over it, so perhaps that's why some stars remain silent.
I don't see why it matters, it's a personal matter. Some people don't want to be activists. Spacey is on a bit of a career resurgence right now after a spat of VoD failures thanks to House of Cards so who knows.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-17-14 at 08:51 AM. Reason: `
Old 02-17-14, 09:12 AM
Banned

Yep.

If VARIETY had a front-page announcement tomorrow reading, "All of Hollywood Comes Out as Gay", I doubt anyone would register the least bit of surprise.

It seems that just about every star is either making the Big Reveal or having the media gossip about rumors re: their sexuality.
Old 02-17-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
If VARIETY had a front-page announcement tomorrow reading, "All of Hollywood Comes Out as Gay", I doubt anyone would register the least bit of surprise.
Already happened:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/jac...-denzel,28904/
Old 02-17-14, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Say it ain't so, Boss.
Old 02-17-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I dunno. Nathan Lane made a pretty convincing John Wayne impersonation in The Birdcage.
Michel Serrault did it better

<object width="560" height="304" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://static.movieclips.com/embedplayer.swf?shortid=uUkZ" style="display:block; overflow:hidden;">
<param name="movie" value="http://static.movieclips.com/embedplayer.swf?shortid=uUkZ" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
<embed src="http://static.movieclips.com/embedplayer.swf?shortid=uUkZ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="304" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
</object>

Old 02-17-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I think the reason many stars don't come out is they are afraid they will lose leading romantic heterosexual roles, because the perception that fans won't 'buy' they are straight. Not my feelings, but I think many studio's and actors still fear this.

I am trying to think off the top of my head of any major stars that are gay that have been in a leading role in a big-time romantic comedy or drama? Can anyone think of any?
Old 02-17-14, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I am trying to think off the top of my head of any major stars that are gay that have been in a leading role in a big-time romantic comedy or drama? Can anyone think of any?
Neal Patrick Harris (television)
Old 02-17-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Actually, it would. What percentage of the movie & tv industry would you estimate is made up of believing Christians (as opposed to non-believers)?
Considering how many get up on a stage and thank God for winning their awards, I'd guess a fair number.
Old 02-17-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Neal Patrick Harris (television)
He was the first person I thought of, but I was talking more about movies. I think TV was way ahead of movies towards gay characters (or gay characters play straight characters), but you rarely see a gay character playing a straight character in big-time movies.
Old 02-17-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Wasn't he also already playing that character on TV before he came out of the closet? I know people love him, and obviously it's accepted now, as the show has been on the air so long, but I think an arguement could be made that he might not have gotten that part if he was out at the time of casting.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 02-17-14 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Considering how many get up on a stage and thank God for winning their awards, I'd guess a fair number.
Only Christians believe in God?
Old 02-17-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Rupert Everett has pulled it off a few times but I haven't seen him play a straight guy in movies for quite awhile so maybe those leading man performances happened before he came out.
Old 02-17-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Only Christians believe in God?
No, but I think creekdipper is implying that people in the entertainment industry aren't Christians. I think he's wrong, and that's my example as to why I think that.

In fact, I'd argue that a Christian is more likely to publicly thank God.
Old 02-17-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Ian McKellan comes to mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.