Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Plus Elliot Page wants to have a career going forward. It's entirely possible that his publicist told him "If you name 'X' in your book, you'll never get a part in a studio film again". And of course any accusations would be a He Said/ She Said situation anyway (pronouns may vary).
Page can be true to his own experiences without naming names, if that's what is best for him professionally going forward.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (06-05-23), story (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Knowing who it was would make the story spicier, but wouldn't change my opinion on the truthfulness of the claim. I've heard enough people say the same thing over the years that I see no reason to not believe him.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 12:48 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

What has DVDTalk become when the reason this thread was bumped wasn't about Page admitting to having a relationship with Kate Mara!?!
Old 06-05-23, 01:06 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

A person in my life made a public statement that alluded to someone involved in a situation. It didn't name them, but there were clues enough to figure it out, essentially, if you were paying close attention (which, frankly, a lot of people were). They received a cease and desist order and threatened legal action from a law firm if this person ever spoke or wrote of them or the situation again. It was gut-wrenching to watch things unfold as more information came out and different understandings of what is true and what isn't and all the points of view that come with it all rolled out while this person was forced into silence for threat of legal action. The whole thing still has echoes in this person's life years later and it has changed them in some challenging ways. I wouldn't wish this sort of experience on anyone.

Unless anyone here is ready to pay some legal fees for others, we have zero business telling people who to name and how to do it and why.
The following 4 users liked this post by story:
Cellar Door (06-05-23), cultshock (06-05-23), IBJoel (06-05-23), Kurt D (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Plus Elliot Page wants to have a career going forward. It's entirely possible that his publicist told him "If you name 'X' in your book, you'll never get a part in a studio film again". And of course any accusations would be a He Said/ She Said situation anyway (pronouns may vary).
Correct. You'd have to be ready to leave the business to call out anyone other than someone like Weinstein or Cosby. Me Too was good and all. But it didn't put an end to dudes testing the waters with unwanted sexual advances. I would hope it did end the, "meet me in a hotel room and I'll give you the part" culture.
Old 06-05-23, 01:13 PM

Since it wasn't posted, this is the full discussion that was had with People:

He was verbally assaulted at a party by an A-list actor two months after he came out

In a chapter titled “Famous A--hole at Party,” Page describes being at a birthday party in Los Angeles in 2014. An actor, whom Page describes as an “acquaintance,” told Page that "you aren't gay. That doesn’t exist. You are just afraid of men.” He then told Page: “I’m going to f—k you to make you realize you aren’t gay.” They saw each other at the gym a few days later. The actor said, “I don’t have a problem with gay people I swear.”

“I think you might,” Page told him.

“I've had some version of that happen many times throughout my life. A lot of queer and trans people deal with it incessantly. These moments that we often like don't talk about or we're supposed to just brush off, when actually it's very awful. I put that story in the book because it’s about highlighting the reality, the s--t we deal with and what gets sent to us constantly, particularly in environments that are predominantly cis and heterosexual. How we navigate that world where you either have more extreme, overt moments like that. Or you have the more, like, subtle jokes. [In Hollywood] these are very powerful people. They're the ones choosing what stories are being told and creating content for people to see all around the world."

“I’m purposely not sharing his name,” Page says, noting that many people at the party saw and heard what happened. “But he will hear about this and know it’s him.”
https://people.com/elliot-page-pageb...e-mara-7504720
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
What has DVDTalk become when the reason this thread was bumped wasn't about Page admitting to having a relationship with Kate Mara!?!
Now THAT’S worthy of a name drop!

Though, I don’t know much about Mara’s personal life. I hope Page didn’t “out” her by telling her name.
Old 06-05-23, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Now THAT’S worthy of a name drop!

Though, I don’t know much about Mara’s personal life. I hope Page didn’t “out” her by telling her name.
"The first person I fell for after my heart was broken was Kate Mara," Page writes. "She had a boyfriend at the time, the lovely and talented Max Minghella."Page goes on to describe their romance, during which Page was filming 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past. (“Kate has read the book,” Page says. Mara is appearing with Page at a book event in Los Angeles in June.) Page writes that Minghella was supportive of Mara exploring her feelings for Page. “I never thought I could be in love with two people and now I know I can,” Page says Mara told him.

“This was right after I’d come out as gay and it was a time of exploration and also heartbreak,” Page says. “I think my relationship, or whatever you want to call it with Kate, very much encapsulates a certain dynamic that I consistently found myself in, which was falling for people that — I think a lot of us do this — who aren't fully available. And the sort of safety in that and the highs and the lows and the serotonin bump, and then it goes away."

"And I think that is definitely a pattern in my life,” he adds. Page says he and Mara are still close. “I think the love and care that we have for each other is its very own special thing. Separate from the intimacy that I write about.”
Old 06-06-23, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Page didn't name the gym. It's less honest.