Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) — Second time seeing this one, basically feel the same way, not terribly impressive effort, some spotty visual effects, a few silly fun moments however the finale looked like a poor Matrix copycat. But found some parts entertaining enough, just nothing all that memorable. **½/*****
Old 11-19-20, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Not as bad as the reviews but not the most uplifting story

Old 11-19-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

The Towering Inferno - Star studded nonsense, but I've always been a sucker for disaster movies, and there is no bigger disaster movie than the Towering Inferno. The good news...OJ and the cat live.
Old 11-20-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dr. Strangelove - Kubrick's brilliant black comedy.
Old 11-20-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The Towering Inferno - Star studded nonsense, but I've always been a sucker for disaster movies, and there is no bigger disaster movie than the Towering Inferno. The good news...OJ and the cat live.
I remember seeing Inferno in a packed theater on New Year's Day; even though it was fairly long (for the time) it was terrific entertainment. I was genuinely saddened when Jennifer Jones exited the elevator early. It was an interesting period, where the lead in Disaster Movies was a big-name star playing a slightly-more-than average guy, -Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, Charleton Heston, -who had to dig deep to save everyone (or almost everyone) and they didn't necessarily make it to the end.
I recently watched "San Andreas", -which harkens back to those films, -but Dwayne Johnson is a superhero even before the earthquake hits and there's never any doubt that he'll be alive at the end. On the other hand, we can certainly top those old films in terms of carnage.
Old 11-20-20, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
I remember seeing Inferno in a packed theater on New Year's Day; even though it was fairly long (for the time) it was terrific entertainment. I was genuinely saddened when Jennifer Jones exited the elevator early. It was an interesting period, where the lead in Disaster Movies was a big-name star playing a slightly-more-than average guy, -Paul Newman, Gene Hackman, Charleton Heston, -who had to dig deep to save everyone (or almost everyone) and they didn't necessarily make it to the end.
I recently watched "San Andreas", -which harkens back to those films, -but Dwayne Johnson is a superhero even before the earthquake hits and there's never any doubt that he'll be alive at the end. On the other hand, we can certainly top those old films in terms of carnage.
What makes TI different is that it had two giant stars in Newman and McQueen and apparently there was a lot of negotiating on screen time and lines. And this was the height of Dunaway too, though she really doesn't have much to do. While this is a many times over re-watch, I watched Earthquake for the first time a few months ago (before I was posting in this thread). I guess Heston dying wasn't in the script (it was supposed to be Kennedy), but Chuck didn't want to live happily ever after with his mistress while he was wife died so he put down his foot on that one. It made the ending of that movie really weird, which is why I checked on it.
Old 11-20-20, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

A Quiet Place (2018)

Absolutely love this film. The amount of things that Krasinski was able to establish effectively in 90-minutes was fantastic.
Old 11-20-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday The 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

I realize there are people who love this film, I am not one of them.

This film constantly feels like it could have been any other Slasher film released during the mid-80s, even though it has a hokey way of trying to differentiate itself.

With that said, I do appreciate the film's overall setting as well as a few of the characters (namely Tommy, Pam & Reggie).
The following users liked this post:
TheMovieman (11-20-20)
Old 11-20-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

Although the film can get a bit repetitive at times, I really enjoy this film.

CJ Graham's depiction of Jason Voorhees is fun, as are the kills & finale.
Old 11-20-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) — Watching it again after 8 years, my feelings about this installment remains the same. Guess I found it easier to watch after revisiting the franchise but still think the plot was weak, even by the standards of the series, and while I know it’s based on a video game, really wish the movie didn’t feel like one, even more so than the previous installments. Still like Jovovich in the role of Alice, in fact, and take this for what you will, is the strongest actor of the ensemble with Guillory turning in an especially awful performance (at least under the Umbrella Corp’s influence). Easily this is the weakest entry. *½/*****
Old 11-20-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What makes TI different is that it had two giant stars in Newman and McQueen and apparently there was a lot of negotiating on screen time and lines. And this was the height of Dunaway too, though she really doesn't have much to do. While this is a many times over re-watch, I watched Earthquake for the first time a few months ago (before I was posting in this thread). I guess Heston dying wasn't in the script (it was supposed to be Kennedy), but Chuck didn't want to live happily ever after with his mistress while he was wife died so he put down his foot on that one. It made the ending of that movie really weird, which is why I checked on it.
On Inferno, even the position of McQueen and Newman's name on their credits was negotiated, -I believe they share the frame, side-by-side (or just about) with neither having a dominating position.
I remember seeing Earthquake in Sensurround, and that really made an impression. But, yeah, Heston's fate is a bummer, since his wife comes off as a bit of a hag and trying to save her while Genvieve Bujold was waiting in the wings seemed like a poor choice.
Old 11-20-20, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
On Inferno, even the position of McQueen and Newman's name on their credits was negotiated, -I believe they share the frame, side-by-side (or just about) with neither having a dominating position.
I remember seeing Earthquake in Sensurround, and that really made an impression. But, yeah, Heston's fate is a bummer, since his wife comes off as a bit of a hag and trying to save her while Genvieve Bujold was waiting in the wings seemed like a poor choice.
Yeah, it's the whole left side lower/right side higher for McQueen and Newman. What made the ending of Earthquake so weird is that he just dies; it's a pretty anti-climatic scene. Of course, the Hackman death scene in the grand daddy of all disaster movies is also a little anti-climatic. Meanwhile, Kennedy makes out like a bandit in Earthquake. Not only does he live, but 24 year old Victoria Principal is basically physically attached to him by the end.
Old 11-20-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Villain (1979) - This week's Arnold is Hal Needham's comedy-western also starring Kirk Douglas and Ann-Margret. I'd never seen this before, but like the roadrunner/coyote cartoons that clearly inspired it there really isn't much of a story here just a series of vignettes. A misfire.
Old 11-20-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I fell asleep in the middle of it
Old 11-20-20, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A good drama on Showtime
Old 11-20-20, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it's the whole left side lower/right side higher for McQueen and Newman. What made the ending of Earthquake so weird is that he just dies; it's a pretty anti-climatic scene. Of course, the Hackman death scene in the grand daddy of all disaster movies is also a little anti-climatic. Meanwhile, Kennedy makes out like a bandit in Earthquake. Not only does he live, but 24 year old Victoria Principal is basically physically attached to him by the end.
George Kennedy also did well in the Airport series of films, -he co-stars in all four, and his character's position is elevated in each one.
Old 11-20-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Snatch - I don't think I had seen this one since the theaters. It's a Guy Ritchie movie so that means there are parts I like and parts that annoy me.
Old 11-21-20, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

This entry in the franchise is buckets of fun. Love it!

In addition to John Carl Buechler's FX work (as well as directing), you also have Kane Hodder stepping into the role of Jason Voorhees for the first time.

If that wasn't enough, there's the casting of Lar Park Lincoln as a formidable opposite to Jason Voorhees and easily one of my favorite Final Girls in the entire franchise.
Old 11-21-20, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)

Although its run-time is more or less in-line with the rest of the series, it feels twice as long.

Jason Voorhees spends a lot of time stalking his prey on a boat (rather than in Manhattan) but even if he wasn't, the film would still be an absolute mess.
Old 11-21-20, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hannah and Her Sisters - Woody Allen has always been hit or miss with me. There were moments of this movie that I enjoyed very much, but at the same time I get tired of it very quickly. Even though I laughed out loud at some of his scenes, I've always prefer Allen movies where Allen the actor does not appear.
Old 11-21-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Good Dinosaur - There were two Pixar movies that I had never seen. Now there is only one. This film had a troubled production, and the end product is not a bad film, but it's also not a particularly good film either. I just didn't think there were any memorable characters. (Disney+)
Old 11-21-20, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016) — Liked it a tad better than the first time, however still a bit convoluted conclusion and the biggest knock is they completely ignored any potential left from Retribution, that being the zombie siege on the White House with our heroes (and villain) taking one last stand. Instead, Jill Valentine is killed off-screen (I guess) as was Alice's "daughter" and instead we get a Dr. Isaac being a religious fanatic (well Dr. Isaac's clone of course) and a band of misfit characters (including Ruby Rose before she became famous I think), plus the return of Claire (Ali Larter) after being MIA in the last film.

There were some elements that weren't too bad, and the fight and stuntwork was alright, but as with the previous FIVE movies, nothing terribly memorable. And they leave it open-ended because, of course. Have to think any future installments will end up on whichever streaming service Sony makes a deal with... **½/*****
Old 11-21-20, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Last Castle - This week's Redford succeeds as well as it does for as long at it does because of the talent at the top of the call sheet. This is the type of part that Redford the movie star excels at. Unfortunately, I thought the movie kind of fell apart in the ridiculous third act. Too bad. (Showtime)
Old 11-21-20, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Watch it on Netflix tonight. Pretty good but very bleak.
Old 11-21-20, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Movies i watched earlier tonight

Matrix Revolutions
Scare Package

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.