Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 11-27-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Collateral (2004) — Well made thriller with Cruise turning one of his better performances (argument could be made deserved an Oscar nod), same with Jamie Foxx. A bit preposterous at times and some convenient moments (like when the cops let them go), but still entertaining and engaging until the very end. ****¼/*****
Old 11-27-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts

Titanic - I don't know that I have watched a copy of this since VHS, but it was still familiar. Outside of Danny Nucci's ridiculous cartoon Italian stereotype, I've always enjoyed this movie, and I still do. I did watch all of the deleted scenes for the first time, and I thought there was some interesting stuff there. To think it was all First Officer Murdoch's fault, and then he goes and pulls a Murdoch. (Blu-ray)

Knives Out - I liked this movie last fall, but I was as enamored as some were, especially with Craig's performance. I like de Armas a lot in it though. (4K UHD)
Old 11-27-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Jason X (2001)

Another film that has divided many long-time fans of Friday the 13th.

I absolutely love the film. It's fast-paced, fun, self-aware and has some of my favorite kills in the entire franchise.

The homages are also nice touches throughout.
Old 11-27-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Ipcress File (1965) — Slow but still engaging British spy thriller that is almost completely carried by Michael Caine more so than the story. Still, well directed by Sidney J. Furie and now interested in checking out the other Harry Palmer films with Caine. ***½/*****
Old 11-27-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, God! - I think I saw the second sequel to this in the theater when it came out, but I had never seen the original film. It's a quaint film. John Denver isn't much of an actor. (MA)
Old 11-27-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 759 Likes on 619 Posts

Maybe it was sitting on a shelf and Netflix decided to purchase it for their streaming service.
Old 11-27-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is on HBO.

I wanted to like it but just not that into it.
Old 11-27-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Maybe it was sitting on a shelf and Netflix decided to purchase it for their streaming service.
Answers my question about what happened to Brittany Snow...
Old 11-27-20, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Hero (2017) - Sam Elliott stars as a washed-up character actor, estranged from his family, and dying of cancer who stumbles into a new relationship and a possible career resurgence. Elliott is very good, but the movie travels over familiar ground. (hulu)
Old 11-27-20, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Batman & Robin - This week's Arnold is still fucking terrible.
Old 11-28-20, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

No Way Out - The 1987 movie starring Gene Hackman, Kevin Costner, and Sean Young. A pretty decent thriller, albeit overrated IMO. I pretty much love Hackman in everything he does, and this one is no different; he gives a great performance. I also really, really like Costner, and he's very solid in this. Sean Young on the other hand? Oh boy...the only thing that I can recall liking her in is Blade Runner. I thought she was awful in this and just a really, really poor fit. I'm sure there were numerous other actresses out there that could've really done something with this role. George Dzundza also has a great supporting role. It's pretty well-written, but it just stretches your mind sometimes with it's logic. That said, it really has some great footage of Washington, including some great helicopter shots of the Capitol, the Mall, and the Pentagon (and CIA Headquarters, for that matter). Worth watching at least once, but I doubt I'll be tuning in again anytime soon. NOTE: I also listened to Roger Donaldson's commentary track, and while overall it's pretty solid, he really slows down after the first half-hour or so, and there's a few too many instances of extended silences. Still glad I listened to it, but in all honesty I was doing a NYT crossword puzzle while I listened to the latter half, as it did get annoying when nothing was said for 2 or 3 minutes at a time...Probably could've used a moderator...

Nighthawks - Been meaning to watch this Stallone/Hauer feature for quite some time. It's an okay movie, but nothing special. Rutger Hauer is probably the standout in this, even though based on all accounts his role and/or scenes were significantly cut down by Stallone (who apparently did several rewrites). I liked the international flavour at times (parts of the movie take place in Paris and London, and finally New York), and you get to seeing old school New York, which is always a treat. Only really issue is just how far-fetched it is at times. There's just some scenes that I'm like...what was Stallone thinking? And, did he really agree to do these scenes? When you watch it, you'll know what I mean...The bonus features are really great though (although none of the principles bothered to participate, aside from two of the actresses, who really had minor roles), and are well-worth watching. Those that did sit down for interviews really don't hold back and are very honest about what went on behind the scenes over the course of the movie...The interview with (I wanna say the screenwriter) was a bit annoying at times, as I think he's the one that states that "many people feel Nighthawks is Stallone's best movie." Sure, name one person that you know that thinks this is his best movie; I mean, obviously not everything he's made has been a gem, but he's made several movies that are much, much better than this one...

Tales From The Crypt Presents Bordello of Blood - I'll first admit to never really being a big Tales From The Crypt fan (although I probably need to view more episodes before solidifying that position), and I have to say this really, really wasn't very good. Like others have pointed out, this doesn't even feel like a horror/comedy hybrid; it feels more like a Skinimax movie, just based on the copious amount of nudity. Dennis Miller, while apparently a nightmare to work with according to pretty much everyone involved with the movie, actually improvises some pretty funny lines at times, and I really feel he's probably the best part of the movie. Corey Feldman is Corey Feldman; I love him in The Goonies and The Lost Boys, and he's tolerable here (for the most part). Angie Everhart is pretty horrible. The Erika girl (who I recognized from the first Under Siege) is really not that great either. There is a great scene towards the end set to the tune "Ballroom Blitz", which was fun, but overall the movie was below average. Best part about the Blu-Ray were the Bonus Features, which were fantastic. I really only wish they could've somehow convinced Dennis Miller to give his take, but I know that would never have happened...

Cotton Comes to Harlem - Not nearly as good as I had expected. The direction is pretty solid, but the plot kind of bounces all over the place and I just didn't find it that compelling. Redd Foxx was good, though, and I did enjoy the ending, which basically included a musical number. It also has a pretty damn good car chase that Ossie Davis did a great job directing. Overall, it was enjoyable, and I kind of wish they included at least some special features, aside from the trailer...Still, I've seen better blaxploitation movies, most of which star Pam Grier...

Hammer - Okay, the first 30-45 minutes I found extremely boring, poorly directed, and poorly edited...like, to the extreme. After that, however, it really picks up and I found the latter half of the movie incredibly enjoyable. And I always like Fred Williamson, who gives a great performance. Great soundtrack, too...Again, another Blu-Ray that I wish had at least some special features, but seeing as how it's an Olive release, I'm not surprised that they're lacking in that category...But if you're a Fred Williamson fan, you owe it to yourself to check this out...Just try and make it through the first half of the movie and you'll be all good...
Old 11-28-20, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Smiles of a Summer Night - I bought the Criterion Bergman box set two years ago so I figured it was probably time to actually start watching some of the movies. (Blu-ray)
This was probably the fifth or sixth Bergman film I watched (I bought it when it originally came out as a Criterion DVD, then purchased the Blu-Ray when it eventually came out), and I loved this one, and I couldn't believe that I actually found it amusing and funny, which one would never expect from Bergman (okay, obviously Fanny & Alexander has it's comedic moments). It's not laugh-out-loud funny or anything, but it's surprisingly funny, and it actually really doesn't feel dated. I still like most of his serious stuff more, but this one is definitely worth checking out...
Old 11-28-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts

Porky's Arrow Region B,
Porky's 2 and Porky's Revenge Amazon Prime

I remember seeing the original Porky's at a "Preview" screening, with comment cards filled out at the end. I thought the film had some big crude laughs, but the more serious material was an ill fit. Over time, it's all kind of become just what Porky's is, -a good-natured memoir and even it's epic tastelessness has been rendered benign over time. The cast shows a definite chemistry that carries over all three films. Arrow's package is a good one, with a surprisingly honest commentary from the late, great director Bob Clark, and a segment with "Mr. Skin" on Nudity in 80's films.
I decided to watch the sequels because they're currently on Amazon Prime. The first time I watched Porky's 2 I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, but coming back to it over thirty years later, it feels a bit more uncomfortably contrived. Bob Clark has remarked that it was done more as a favor and that it just wasn't as personal to him or his experiences as the original. "Porky's Revenge" was directed by sitcom vet James Komack ("Welcome Back Kotter") and it feels like every other Sex Comedy of the 80s; though it has the original cast, they don't feel much like the same characters.
Old 11-28-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Father of the Bride (1950) - I've of course seen the Steve Martin remake, but I had never seen the original film. While the story is familiar, Spencer Tracy is very good. (HBOMax)
Old 11-28-20, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (1990/2020) — It's been a long time since I saw The Godfather Part III so I have no idea the differences, however I do remember I liked it okay though a far cry from the first two. So now with this Coda version, the one Puzo and Coppola initially wanted, it does serve as the intended epilogue to the saga and it's well made and, for the most part, finely acted though Sophia Coppola did have one questionable scene, though her others weren't too bad.

I'll be interested to read a complete breakdown on the differences but as a whole it is a well made drama . ****/*****

Mad Max (1979) — For whatever reason, never had seen the original and doesn't disappoint, some good action and gut wrenching scenes defying the rules of killing pets and kids, Mel Gibson is quite good in the role and look forward to checking out the sequels. ***¾/*****
Old 11-28-20, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Answers my question about what happened to Brittany Snow...

LOL She had that show on FOX called Instant Family which was cancelled last year.

Maybe she will do another Pitch Perfect movie or go back to TV.
Old 11-28-20, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed it until I went online and found out it was a bad movie that I was enjoying.

Amy and Glen gave great performances.
Old 11-28-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
LOL She had that show on FOX called Instant Family which was cancelled last year.

Maybe she will do another Pitch Perfect movie or go back to TV.
Oh right, forgot about that one
Old 11-28-20, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie - Compilation film of Friz Freleng's Looney Tunes works broken into three parts with some bridging sequences. As a long time lover of the Bugs/Sam dynamic, the first part works the best for me. The rest of the movie doesn't work as well, though the film does wisely close with another classic Bugs/Sam short and then the always entertaining Bugs/Daffy combo. (VUDU)

The Book Thief - A story of a girl who is adopted by an older German couple right as WW2 is beginning. I enjoyed this moving film up until near the end. Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson are quite good as always, but the movie falls on young Sophie Nélisse. It's good to see that she has continued to act as she's grown into adulthood. (VUDU)
Old 11-29-20, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Necessary Roughness - I was watching the Mizzou-Vandy game yesterday and was reminded of this. It's been more than twenty years since I've seen it. It's entertaining in a "you know everything that's going to happen before you start the movie" sort of way. (Prime)

Night Call Nurses - Prime has a whole assortment of 70s B movies, late night films, etc. This one has a thread bare "plot?" about three nurses. While the women are pretty (including Alana Collins who would marry George Hamilton and then Rod Stewart and eventually have a short-lived 90s talk show with her first ex-husband), the movie isn't really interesting or explicit enough to qualify as entertainment on any level. (Prime)
Old 11-29-20, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Barefoot in the Park - Redford and Fonda star as newlyweds in this Neil Simon adaptation. I liked their chemistry, but the third act conflict and resolution felt dated. (VUDU)

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Adaptation of the Tennessee Williams never quite escaped it's theatrical roots for me. I thought some of the Newman and Taylor scenes at the beginning were a little rough too. I did enjoy it more as the movie went along though. Burl Ives was good. (HBOMax)

Old 11-29-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Barefoot in the Park - Redford and Fonda star as newlyweds in this Neil Simon adaptation. I liked their chemistry, but the third act conflict and resolution felt dated. (VUDU)
I never have seen this adaptation, but I remember way back in my youth in the 80s watching a filmed stage production of the play with Richard "John Boy" Thomas and Bess Armstrong in the lead roles. It ran frequently on HBO, and I remember liking it well enough to watch it more than once.
Old 11-29-20, 09:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,210 Likes on 857 Posts

The Twentieth Century
This movie is nuts. I think I loved it.

Old 11-30-20, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The cover art is misleading since she never has long red hair in the movie.

Not horrible though it slowed down once Ava reconnected with her family and ex.

No bonus features on the blu-ray.

A rare 2020 movie you can rent and watch on a Sat though it comes out on Netflix streaming.

I liked the Dave Gahan with Goldfrapp song in the final fight scene.

At first I thought it was a Depeche Mode masterpeice from one of their newer albums that I ignored.
Old 11-30-20, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Deepwater Horizon - Another Berg/Wahlberg collaboration. Maybe it was some of the ridiculous accents, but this one never really connected for me. It was fine.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.