Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 09:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I’d have no problem paying the difference between a normal movie ticket and any imax or fathom or 3D or whatever.
Old 06-22-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed - I'd be fine with paying the delta. (Certain free movie certs work the same way.)
I'm also OK with paying the regular ticket price for the 'add a friend' ticket, that makes sense if you're doing it a la carte, it's just a convenience being able to buy them both together. (I have used up to 3 cards or payment methods before - MP for my ticket, a gift cert for part of my wife's, and my own CC for the remainder of her and my son's ticket).
It does seem like they're trying dartboard approach, which may not be the best way to run a business (and try to make money/survive).
Interesting thought about raising the fee/losing members. They could probably creep it to 14.95 without too much loss, and they should definitely hammer hard the benefits MP has over the AMC thing.
Old 06-22-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Like I said before, they wanted rapid growth, and their studies showed that 9.99 was the impulse price point. There's also a tricky psychological thing going on where if you pay 10 bucks a month that may be cheap enough that you pay it and forget about it, if you're paying 20 bucks a month you may try to maximize your membership and see more movies, and as counterintuitive as it is they don't want you seeing more movies.

Even this 2 dollar fee thing (instead of just raising the price) seems like an attempt to keep their base price low to keep adding users.
Old 06-22-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

It's possible in their warped brains, they want to affect weekend totals. Force a higher price so people will see it during the week instead. A film opens slightly lower and they can say, see what we can do?!
Old 06-22-18, 10:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

----> FAKE, and yet too real.

Last edited by Dan; 06-22-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting. I don't mind the concept of the suggestion, but I don't like the "wait N seconds" bit. I already know I don't want to see Gotti, so just let me make that choice.
Old 06-22-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

that cant be real, can it?
Old 06-22-18, 01:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ It CAN be, but it most definitely is not.

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I don't mind the concept of the suggestion
I do. It would be one thing to have the notifications about these films, but slowing down the check-in process to try to get you to see something else (that may not be playing at the cinema you're at)? Nuh-uh. Keep that shit outta here.
Old 06-22-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Funny thing to mention. I sorta saw Oceans 8 on Tuesday (fell asleep for most of it because I was tired, but want to see it again) and 3 days later it's still not showing up on my viewing history.

I wonder if it doesn't show up if maybe I could try to use it again for it. There's no notation on Ocean's 8 that I've already seen it.
Old 06-22-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
^ It CAN be, but it most definitely is not.
Where did that mock-up come from?
Old 06-22-18, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it on another forum, but I'm not sure of the real origin.
Old 06-22-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK. I was just curious if it came from MP. Maybe they were floating the idea around to gauge reactions.
Old 06-22-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
OK. I was just curious if it came from MP. Maybe they were floating the idea around to gauge reactions.
I got that Gotti notification on my phone the other day but just ignored it
Old 06-22-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Forgot to mention this earlier, but check the Gotti thread for Rotten Tomatoes shenanigans, which MP is probably at least partially responsible for.
Old 06-22-18, 02:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I got one of the usual push notifications, but not a pop-up like in the fake screencap above.
Old 06-22-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You got the fake, made up notification on your phone? From Moviepass?
Old 06-22-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Funny thing to mention. I sorta saw Oceans 8 on Tuesday (fell asleep for most of it because I was tired, but want to see it again) and 3 days later it's still not showing up on my viewing history.

I wonder if it doesn't show up if maybe I could try to use it again for it. There's no notation on Ocean's 8 that I've already seen it.
When you pull up a theater that has it playing, is it saying you've already seen it when looking at the list of what's playing? Mine does that for me. I couldn't select it even if I wanted.
Old 06-23-18, 08:23 PM

Received 884 Likes on 581 Posts

Just got this...
A Message To Our Members:

The revolution is happening now, and it is all thanks to you. In less than a year, three million pioneers joined us on our journey to see more great movies at an unbeatable price. And we want to thank you, our community, for your steadfast support of our company and growth.

In the spirit of innovation and growth, we are now announcing the next phase in the evolution of our product: Demand Pricing.

In the coming weeks, we will roll out three different upgrades to our base $9.95 service for our members.

Bring-A-Guest: MoviePass members will be able to purchase extra tickets to a showing of a movie right through the MoviePass app, so that you can seamlessly reserve seats for you and your friends (at e-ticketing partner theaters) to watch a film even if they aren’t MoviePass subscribers. As a benefit, if your friend signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours, we’ll refund the entire cost of the ticket!

Peak Pricing: MoviePass is committed to maintaining our low monthly price as we continue to grow rapidly. Rather than raise our prices or limit viewings, our plan has been to develop a new variable pricing system based on the demand for particular showtimes. Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month. Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.

Premium Showings: MoviePass members on any plan will soon be able to access RealD 3D, IMAX 2D or 3D, and other Premium Large Format showings of any film for an additional upgrade fee.

These features are being tested currently and will slowly roll out to all our members over the next several weeks.

Our aim is to create the most flexible and cost-efficient product, so that we don’t have to simply raise the price on the subscription. We appreciate your flexibility as we evolve our service to keep MoviePass at a low cost. We can’t express how much we value all of you for being part of that vision.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
The MoviePass Team
Old 06-23-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Yup just got it as well. Nothing saying will you have to pay the surge charge on the spot, or is it billed, or what.

Or when peak times are.

Assholes.
Old 06-23-18, 08:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ to give them some credit (and boy do they need it! Ha!), it's nice that you get one free "surge" ticket per month. I do like to go to movies on the weekends, but I can also go see the "big" ones during the week or a week or two later if I really want. I'm not saying surge pricing is a good idea (I think it's dumb), but... the one freebie is a decent touch, and theoretically would have me covered.

Premium showings, though. I've been asking for that for awhile. Now I can get my quarterly Dolby Cinema fix and still use MP.
Old 06-23-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts

I wonder if all non matinee times will be considered "peak" times and carry the surcharge. I hope they will have a way to know before going to the theater if there will be a surcharge or not, but it doesn't sound like it.
It will also be intersting to know how much their surchargwe will be. $2-3 tops. Anything above that doesn't make the service worth as much as you can get discount tickets and Fandango codes for free movies quite often for buying a few Kellogg's products or 12 pack soft drinks,
Old 06-23-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yup just got it as well. Nothing saying will you have to pay the surge charge on the spot, or is it billed, or what.

Or when peak times are.

Assholes.
Don’t like it? Cancel.
Old 06-23-18, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the expanded options for IMAX/3D. I need more info on how they are going to calculate the peak times surcharge though. If I'm sitting in a theater alone on a Weds and getting billed extra we have a problem.
Old 06-24-18, 12:18 AM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

I agree, that's my only concern. Otherwise, I'll roll with it.
Old 06-24-18, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Woot! I’m excited to add upgraded movies that I’ve been wanting for awhile. Im cautiously optimistic about the surge pricing. I think it’s a better idea than raising the price across the board and if it keeps the company afloat I’m all for it. I am hesitant that it might confuse or anger some folks and drop membership. But again I think it’s better than just blindly raising the price so there is some incentive to go to a cheap movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.