Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 04-28-18, 10:26 PM
  #1251  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,952
Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Pass was probably afraid they were going to get hammered with hundreds of thousands of dollars of repeat viewings for Avengers. The timing to cut off repeat viewings seems suspect. And especially about 1 month away from summer movie season.
Old 04-28-18, 11:07 PM
  #1252  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,326
Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

No repeats was a rule last year, then it disappeared, now it's back
They need to make up their mind.
Old 04-28-18, 11:38 PM
  #1253  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 16,191
Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I guess you shouldn't but just buy a ticket to a movie you haven't seen that comes on around the same time as the movie you want to see again.

No way they can track that, right?
Old 04-29-18, 02:48 AM
  #1254  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 20,247
Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Forced update... getting the “you’ve seen this movie already” message... but hey, at least I could log in. 😉
Oddly enough, yesterday I was getting that message for films I haven't used Movie Pass for.
Old 04-29-18, 03:21 AM
  #1255  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,326
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I'm enjoying reading all the angry comments on their Facebook page, and all they do is respond back with a generic, "we hope you enjoy our service and the new changes" BS. This is simply a company that doesn't give a damn about their customer base. They never did. When I used Moviepass a couple of years ago, they were constantly doing this same crap, changing things up. First it was $30 a month, then $40 and then $40 with limitations and the awful 24 hour clock rule which made it difficult to see a movie two days in a row. They even tried to charge $100 a month in some markets.

I knew once they offered this amazing deal, they would test the waters by scaling it back to see how much people are willing to tolerate before bailing. I still think it's false advertising when I prepaid for a year under the claim that I can see a movie a day which is no longer possible unless your theater has 30 new releases a month.
Old 04-29-18, 03:28 AM
  #1256  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,248
Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I guess you shouldn't but just buy a ticket to a movie you haven't seen that comes on around the same time as the movie you want to see again.

No way they can track that, right?
Most theaters have reserved seating. I guess you can check right before the show starts which seats haven't been taken? Or exchange your ticket for the show you really want to see.
Old 04-29-18, 05:16 AM
  #1257  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,130
Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I was wondering the same thing. My theater does not have reserve seating. So what's to stop me from checking into one movie and buying a ticket for another. Or doing an exchange.
Old 04-29-18, 08:12 AM
  #1258  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 6,416
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

There may be another small change to the TOC. In the disallowed movies part they no longer list Fathom events. Today I log in to see that Labyrinth is showing at a nearby theatre and it’s available to check in. Since Avengers is sold out, we might go.
Old 04-29-18, 10:05 AM
  #1259  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,945
Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by stingermck
So what's to stop me from checking into one movie and buying a ticket for another.
My dad was seeing 3 movies a week since January. Beginning a few weeks ago, Moviepass demanded that he uploads a picture of his ticket stub every time to ensure the check-in matches the purchased ticket.

So the check-in must match the ticket, but if there's no reserved seating how can they match what screen's doorway you walk into?
Old 04-29-18, 10:19 AM
  #1260  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,130
Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Oh yeah, already forgot about having to take a photo
Old 04-29-18, 10:33 AM
  #1261  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 22,196
Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through to save a bit of money. We are lucky to now go to 1-2 movies a month with our 3 year old son.
Old 04-29-18, 11:17 AM
  #1262  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,956
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Where do you guys have to upload the stub pictures? I've never been asked to do that before.
Old 04-29-18, 11:34 AM
  #1263  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,248
Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Where do you guys have to upload the stub pictures? I've never been asked to do that before.
Check your E-Mail. They’ll send a notice informing of the picture requirement. And on the app it’s at the very bottom of the screen in small text. It’s easy to miss. I swear they do that shit in hopes you’ll miss it.
Old 04-29-18, 12:39 PM
  #1264  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,886
Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by mhg83
Check your E-Mail. They’ll send a notice informing of the picture requirement. And on the app it’s at the very bottom of the screen in small text. It’s easy to miss. I swear they do that shit in hopes you’ll miss it.
The first time it showed up on my app, it was a huge pop-up right at check-in, that required confirmation, with the option to snap the pic and upload it right there. Impossible to miss.
Old 04-29-18, 01:48 PM
  #1265  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by sangokou
Regarding restricting everyone to seeing a movie one time, it is in their terms of use.

Specifically in 2.3:
THE SERVICE PROHIBITS REPEAT VIEWINGS OF THE SAME MOVIE.
2.3 also states: "A valid MoviePass subscription to the Service entitles you to: (1) see one (1) 2D film per calendar day through MoviePass; ".
Old 04-29-18, 01:50 PM
  #1266  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by stingermck
I was wondering the same thing. My theater does not have reserve seating. So what's to stop me from checking into one movie and buying a ticket for another. Or doing an exchange.
The only thing stopping you would be Moviepass' Terms of Service. And their requirement for a picture of a stub, if you are one of those lucky ones.
Old 04-29-18, 01:51 PM
  #1267  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by tommyp007
There may be another small change to the TOC. In the disallowed movies part they no longer list Fathom events. Today I log in to see that Labyrinth is showing at a nearby theatre and it’s available to check in. Since Avengers is sold out, we might go.
This is new. I was able to see the Cobra Kai Fathom event last Wednesday with Moviepass.
Old 04-29-18, 01:51 PM
  #1268  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by mhg83
Check your E-Mail. They’ll send a notice informing of the picture requirement. And on the app it’s at the very bottom of the screen in small text. It’s easy to miss. I swear they do that shit in hopes you’ll miss it.
Sorry, but there is literally NO WAY you could miss it on the check–in confirmation screen. There is a camera icon button on the screen that replaces the old OK button, and there is no other button to continue. And there is text clearly displayed (not “small text”) that explains that you can’t continue until you snap a photo (again, using the clearly displayed camera button).

I have a lot of issues with some of the recent changes from MP, but making stuff up just to validate your rage is silly.
Old 04-29-18, 03:21 PM
  #1269  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,248
Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Sorry, but there is literally NO WAY you could miss it on the check–in confirmation screen. There is a camera icon button on the screen that replaces the old OK button, and there is no other button to continue. And there is text clearly displayed (not “small text”) that explains that you can’t continue until you snap a photo (again, using the clearly displayed camera button).

I have a lot of issues with some of the recent changes from MP, but making stuff up just to validate your rage is silly.
The first time it popped up I didn’t have time to take the picture. The next day I looked for the prompt to take it I didn’t see it I’m on iphone 5 so maybe that was an issue? Regardless, the text to take a pic is at the bottom of the screen. It took me a second Movie to finally see the damn text screen. Yes there’s an alert but it still allowed me to get another ticket before seeing it.
Old 04-29-18, 08:39 PM
  #1270  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 29,256
Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Trevor
The first time it showed up on my app, it was a huge pop-up right at check-in, that required confirmation, with the option to snap the pic and upload it right there. Impossible to miss.
My experience was the same. It is nice it gives you the ability to do it right away.
Old 04-30-18, 12:53 AM
  #1271  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,936
Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I wonder how many people will rage quite MP now. I admit I'm pretty pissed off too. But if I really think about it I doubt it if I'll really repeat view that many movies. The timing and the way they did it just really sucks.
Old 04-30-18, 07:41 AM
  #1272  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,141
Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

If I repeat a movie, it'd be to catch it in IMAX, so couldn't use MP anyway.
Old 04-30-18, 09:24 AM
  #1273  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 24,436
Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I know you all like to bitch about the changes but MP is still a great deal even with the changes. Perhaps it's not the dream it was when they first started this promo but I think the value is still excellent and I'm happy with it.
Old 04-30-18, 09:30 AM
  #1274  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by tanman
I wonder how many people will rage quite MP now. I admit I'm pretty pissed off too. But if I really think about it I doubt it if I'll really repeat view that many movies. The timing and the way they did it just really sucks.
And that's the key point. We have to be realistic. If we want MP to survive, we're going to have to make some concessions (no pun intended). We can't have our cake and eat it, too.

I don't like the new one viewing restriction, but it will still be better than paying full price for every movie. So I am hoping for two things:
  1. Most people won't care about the restriction, and keep their subscriptions - especially the occasional viewers who are essentially subsidizing my habit
  2. Those who do rage quit are mostly heavy users, thus reducing the cost to the company, and increasing its viability
Old 04-30-18, 11:00 AM
  #1275  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,204
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

I knew once they offered this amazing deal, they would test the waters by scaling it back to see how much people are willing to tolerate before bailing. I still think it's false advertising when I prepaid for a year under the claim that I can see a movie a day which is no longer possible unless your theater has 30 new releases a month.
Originally Posted by General Zod
I know you all like to bitch about the changes but MP is still a great deal even with the changes. Perhaps it's not the dream it was when they first started this promo but I think the value is still excellent and I'm happy with it.
Yup, testing the waters, and for a lot of people, despite the horrid customer service, the pricepoint and service is still viable, so I guess they're going to keep cutting. When it's down to two movies a month it'll still be a deal to someone.

The problem, of course, is that they did this to increase their subscriber base to either have more leverage or entice someone to buy them out. The fact that they're already seemingly running out of money (unless you talk to Lowe) and cutting back means they either have enough "subscribers" or can fudge their numbers to include cancelled accounts, or it's the beginning of the end.

And again, the main problem, to me, is not that they reduced the service, it's that they planned it and dropped it with no announcement at all, when the biggest movie of the year hit. I understand people want to forgive them for terrible customer service because it's still cheap, but it still concerns me that they basically took on all these customers with no plan whatsoever to scale their service with it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.