Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 03-29-18, 09:06 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Yes I was able to check in fine.

They responded via chat fairly quickly. It seems that is the only way to request refunds now as the help section says only pay out of pocket if a customer service rep tells you too.

I haven’t been able to get an answer on why it declined. The theatre just upgraded their self service kiosks. I know there can’t be a way for them to know I was paying with MP but it’s just strange.

Last edited by dex14; 03-29-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried Sinemia last year. After 3 months the price tripled.
A few weeks ago I noticed that I was able to rejoin at the advertised New Customer rates. $15 for three movies. I bought one ticket, and it worked fine. Then tried another and it didn’t work. Still haven’t heard back from them. It’s a hassle. If it worked as promised, it’s a good supplement to moviepass for times when you want advance tickets or want to see something in imax/3D/etc
Old 03-30-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Signed up for MP a week ago, and received our cards today. Pretty fast service.

Activated and used the cards tonight, no hiccups at all.

My only complaint is that my favorite local theater doesn’t allow reward points on MP purchases. I realize that policy is left up to the theater/chain, but it was still disappointing. So, I’ll just spend a bit less at the concession stand, I guess.
Old 03-30-18, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I had a decline once. Successful check in on the app, but card declined at the register. I used the chat on the app, but didn't get a response for 3 days. Was told there would be no refund because I paid out of pocket before being authorized to. I guess I should have just stayed at the theater for days waiting.......
They must have the wrong price keyed in. It’s happened to me before at a local theater. A showing appears on the app and will let me check in but won’t deposit the correct funds because it’s in a larger theater. That theater isn’t an AMC but AMC might just find the loophole to MP it seems like a majority of screenings have some kind of upgrade to them. It really limits the choices. I still wish they allowed you to upgrade the ticket. I really don’t see why they don’t. Seems like it would be a good feature. Either a per ticket upgrade or even an extra monthly fee.
Old 03-30-18, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad

My only complaint is that my favorite local theater doesn’t allow reward points on MP purchases. I realize that policy is left up to the theater/chain, but it was still disappointing. So, I’ll just spend a bit less at the concession stand, I guess.
You can generally get around this by buying your tickets at the kiosk (if they have them) instead of the register.
Old 03-30-18, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Used my moviepass at least 3 times this week with no issues. Catching up on everything during Spring Break...
Old 03-30-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
You can generally get around this by buying your tickets at the kiosk (if they have them) instead of the register.
The theater does have kiosks, but I think they are only for Fandango transactions. I could be wrong on that, though.
Old 03-30-18, 09:05 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

The theater does have kiosks, but I think they are only for Fandango transactions. I could be wrong on that, though.
Generally, kiosks have two options, Purchase Tickets or Pick Up Pre-ordered tickets.
Old 03-30-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Generally, kiosks have two options, Purchase Tickets or Pick Up Pre-ordered tickets.
Interesting. I will try that tomorrow when we go see Tomb Raider.

Unrelated to the rewards issue, I have to say that my wife's reaction to getting her card was kind of hilarious. She is actively looking for movies to go see, even movies I know she would NEVER have been interested in paying to see. Her new philosophy is "we can get tickets and go in, and if it's stupid, just leave".
Old 03-30-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Interesting. I will try that tomorrow when we go see Tomb Raider.

Unrelated to the rewards issue, I have to say that my wife's reaction to getting her card was kind of hilarious. She is actively looking for movies to go see, even movies I know she would NEVER have been interested in paying to see. Her new philosophy is "we can get tickets and go in, and if it's stupid, just leave".
Make sure you close out the app after your purchase. Supposedly one of the reasons they were cancelling/booting members was people buying tickets and leaving.
Old 03-30-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by skywalker8
I tried Sinemia last year. After 3 months the price tripled.
A few weeks ago I noticed that I was able to rejoin at the advertised New Customer rates. $15 for three movies. I bought one ticket, and it worked fine. Then tried another and it didn’t work. Still haven’t heard back from them. It’s a hassle. If it worked as promised, it’s a good supplement to moviepass for times when you want advance tickets or want to see something in imax/3D/etc
That’s what I’m wondering. I prefer IMAX showings and have decent access to them. Most of the time I will probably only get to 2-3 movies a month, so it sounds OK to me IF their product is more functional, customer service is better, and they aren’t such general fuck-wads as a corporation. Looking for some customer testimony though ...
Old 03-30-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Make sure you close out the app after your purchase. Supposedly one of the reasons they were cancelling/booting members was people buying tickets and leaving.
Didn't the retraction by the CEO basically say they don't track your location unless you're actively searching for a movie on the app or checking in?
Old 03-30-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Didn't the retraction by the CEO basically say they don't track your location unless you're actively searching for a movie on the app or checking in?
As long as the app is open, it is collecting data. So if you leave it open after you buy your ticket or after you leave the theater, it is tracking your location. His statement was “clarification” that is wasn’t tracking you when the app was closed.

I’m assuming (I don’t know) the people they booted must have either left the app open and left the theater OR he is/was lying. Either is actually possible.
Old 03-30-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the tip. In this case, it didn't matter since we went straight from the box office to the theater auditorium, but I will keep that in mind when I do purchase tickets earlier in the day.
Old 03-31-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Earlier? I thought you only had a 30-minute window from check-in to purchase?

This is just speculation on my part based on what was reported: I don’t think leaving and coming back was an issue (that’s understandable). It was people not going back or not staying for the movie. They were either just buying tickets to run up MP’s bill, re-selling the tickets, or exchanging the tickets for passes.
Old 03-31-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Earlier? I thought you only had a 30-minute window from check-in to purchase?
You do, but if you want to, there's nothing stopping you from going to the theater at 10AM and buying tickets for an 8PM show. You just have 30 minutes to use the card after checking in, you don't have to buy a ticket to a show that starts within 30 minutes.
Old 03-31-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You do, but if you want to, there's nothing stopping you from going to the theater at 10AM and buying tickets for an 8PM show. You just have 30 minutes to use the card after checking in, you don't have to buy a ticket to a show that starts within 30 minutes.
And that’s just what we did today.
Old 03-31-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-01-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

That’s what I’m wondering. I prefer IMAX showings and have decent access to them. Most of the time I will probably only get to 2-3 movies a month, so it sounds OK to me IF their product is more functional, customer service is better, and they aren’t such general fuck-wads as a corporation. Looking for some customer testimony though ...

Really dig down into their terms and you'll see they're not being honest at all. It isn't unrestricted, that's a total lie. You get *ONE* what they call deluxe ticket. Imax, Atmos, whatever. Your other two that month have to be regular movie tickets. I was all set to subscribe until I read that.
Old 04-02-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

The only time I have ever gotten a decline with movie pass was at a kiosk. It declined every card I tried to use. Movie pass went through with no problems at the human counter.
Old 04-02-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
The only time I have ever gotten a decline with movie pass was at a kiosk. It declined every card I tried to use.
So, it didn't have anything to do with MP. The kiosk was messed up.
Old 04-02-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Opened a chat for an issue on 3/21 ... got a reply today. Not a resolution, just a reply asking what theater and closing out the issue.
Old 04-02-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Opened a chat for an issue on 3/21 ... got a reply today. Not a resolution, just a reply asking what theater and closing out the issue.
lol. I think their chat "help" is just to collect data to fix future problems. Doesn't seem like it would help you in a current predicament at all.
Old 04-03-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So, it didn't have anything to do with MP. The kiosk was messed up.
Yes. Either that or a heck of a coincidence. Two cards buying one ticket each, both declined on the kiosk then accepted at the counter. Only one was a movie pass.
Old 04-04-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I received a reply to my second attempt today. They advised me the theater I am wanting to use is not “an approved theater” and instead provided me with three alternative theaters to visit ... all in California.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.