Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
t there ...

Peaked at 5 cents, dropped quickly back to 2 cents.
Are you talking about MP or your marriage?
Old 10-12-18, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I utilized the "Bonus Movie" that was offered by MoviePass when seeing Monsters and Men last night. Since this does not count against your monthly allotment, I thought there was a chance MoviePass would make you submit a stub but that was not the case. Conceivably, I could have checked into the bonus movie and purchased a ticket to something else at the theater, but I used it as intended. If MoviePass sticks around, I hope they can start incorporating more "Bonus Movies" in the service.
Old 10-12-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Are you talking about MP or your marriage?
Shee-yit, man ... She ain't cared about my two cents for years.
Old 10-15-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I finally used MP yesterday to see Sisters Brothers (but checked in with Colette). It's pissing me off that you have to get tickets before 4pm or else all the movies disappear. This will probably be my last month.
Old 10-15-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Life has changed since I quit MoviePass.

Went to the theater for the first time in a month (for free with a $5 Atom credit on a $5 ticket at AMC).

All the previews were new to me which hasn't happened in a long, long time.
Old 10-15-18, 12:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I mentioned before how the early morning all movies available trick stopped working (for me at least) last month, but finally noticed that the trick does work at midnight. So if I’m at the theater for a late show, after midnight I can buy a ticket for anything that next day. So they reset that only-certain-films-show-up sometime between midnight and 7 am, not sure when. Have only done a couple films this month, but hope to see a bunch my next stretch of days off.
Old 10-15-18, 01:01 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Trick or not, there's no reason people should have to work this hard to make the app helpful.

I'm so glad I've walked away.
Old 10-15-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Trick or not, there's no reason people should have to work this hard to make the app helpful.

I mean, I know this isn't what you're getting at, but the reason is so that they see less movies and moviepass doesn't bleed as much money, while still being able to claim that you can potentially see a movie when you want.
Old 10-15-18, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts

I will add that this is still a very good deal if you have e-ticketing as an option for a theater you like. All (most) movies are available, you can select your seats in advance of going to the theater, and the listings do not disappear. It's still a good value for me.
Old 10-15-18, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by story

I agree that you shouldn’t have to work. And it’s not like I am or would. I’ve never gone out of my way just to buy a ticket in advance. But if I’m there anyway, I might as well take advantage of what the app offers.
Old 10-15-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I will add that this is still a very good deal if you have e-ticketing as an option for a theater you like. All (most) movies are available, you can select your seats in advance of going to the theater, and the listings do not disappear. It's still a good value for me.
Old 10-17-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

EDIT: replacing with the original CNBC article ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/17/new-...rs-source.html

New York AG launches probe into MoviePass parent company for allegedly misleading investors

Sara Salinas | Jim Forkin
Published 3 Hours Ago Updated 2 Hours Ago
CNBC.com

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood has opened a probe into MoviePass parent company Helios and Matheson, a person familiar with the matter told CNBC.

The attorney general's office is investigating whether the company misled the investment community regarding the company's financials, said the person. The investigation is in the early stages.

The attorney general is using the Martin Act, a statute designed to protect New York investors and the integrity of the financial markets from fraud.

It's another stumble for MoviePass, which in recent months has repeatedly adjusted its movie subscription plans and taken out hefty loans to cover massive losses.

In August, Helios and Matheson reported a loss of $100 million in the second quarter, putting the company on pace to blow through its remaining assets in the span of months.

The company skyrocketed to popularity with an initial subscription that allowed moviegoers to see a film a day for $9.95 per month. But the popularity hurt profits, and MoviePass quickly adjusted the plan to limit the available movies, raise monthly prices and restrict the number of films users could see per month.

Meanwhile, Helios and Matheson's stock lost practically all of its value. Based on the company's most recently reported share count of 1.5 billion shares outstanding, the company trades at an implied valuation of $30 million.

Shares of Helios and Matheson fell 3 percent in extended trading Wednesday, though the stock trades for just 2 cents per share. A spokesperson for Helios and Matheson declined to comment.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.
Additionally, HMNY has postponed the next reverse-split vote for two weeks.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 10-17-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I mentioned before how the early morning all movies available trick stopped working (for me at least) last month, but finally noticed that the trick does work at midnight. So if I’m at the theater for a late show, after midnight I can buy a ticket for anything that next day. So they reset that only-certain-films-show-up sometime between midnight and 7 am, not sure when. Have only done a couple films this month, but hope to see a bunch my next stretch of days off.
Why is anyone even concerned with having to buy the ticket to the movie it says you are buying it for. Just check in to any movie and buy a ticket to the one you want to see. As long as you haven't checked in to that movie before whats the difference? They don't require ticket verification anymore for those not on the annual plan.

But these hoops are just ridiculous. Really got pissed at them last week as I was about to see smallfoot with the family. A couple of movies were available when I left the house and when I drove the 5 miles to the theater it said no showtimes for the day so I had to fork out the money for two tickets.

But that being said and as crooked as they are I might stick with them to the end. Kind of for morbid curiosity but also if I put my hatred for them aside I'm still winning at 3 movies a month. Even if I do have to jump through some hoops.
Old 10-18-18, 07:56 AM

^ Some of us still have ticket verification.
Old 10-18-18, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Some of us still have ticket verification.
My wife has ticket verification and she seems to still be on the unlimited monthly plan. Is that not the case for you? She never got an email telling her it will be limited to 3/month.
Old 10-18-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I just got back from buying tix to see Halloween tonight. When I left my office MoviePass showed tickets available for 7, 8:45 & 9:45. When I arrived at the theater and went to check in, it only showed 8:45 as available. Not sure what to do, and checked into the 8:45 showing and bought tix for the 7 o'clock. Had to take a picture for my wife's ticket, as she's on the annual plan. Now I'm wondering how closely they look at the ticket photos, and if they'll notice the time difference? Ugh! What a mess!
Old 10-18-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sometimes when I go to the movies I'll take a stupid selfie by the poster and put it up on Instagram. Since I joined MP I'd tag the posts with #moviepass just because. Well, yesterday the MP account liked my most recent one and sent me a direct message, thanking me for my loyalty and asking if they could mail a token of their appreciation.

I'm really curious as to what swag or whatever they're going to send. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 10-18-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by skywalker8
My wife has ticket verification and she seems to still be on the unlimited monthly plan. Is that not the case for you? She never got an email telling her it will be limited to 3/month.
Costco? I don't think the costco memberships got switched, probably due to some contract thing.
Old 10-18-18, 02:13 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Sometimes when I go to the movies I'll take a stupid selfie by the poster and put it up on Instagram. Since I joined MP I'd tag the posts with #moviepass just because. Well, yesterday the MP account liked my most recent one and sent me a direct message, thanking me for my loyalty and asking if they could mail a token of their appreciation.

I'm really curious as to what swag or whatever they're going to send. I'll keep y'all posted.
I tagged MoveiPass on a popcorn photo I posted on Instagram when I saw Venom, “Let’s see how bad this going be.”

MoviePass wrote back, “at least we hope the popcorn is good.”

Old 10-18-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

IMO there's simply no reason to have a MoviePass card now. If you live within 10 miles of an AMC, that is a much better and hassle free deal compared to this hot garbage company.

and now with Sinemia dropping their prices and accepted by many theaters, that's another viable option if you don't live near an AMC.

There's simply no real good reason to keep supporting this shitty company unless you really don't mind the 3 films/month thing and being dictated what films you can see each week and in some instances what time. I'm still amazed they're still in business.

Granted these movie discount programs are not for everyone especially for those who have families and usually don't have time to see movies each and every week. I would say you need to average around 5-6 movies per month to make these programs like A-List and Sinemia to make these worth it.
Old 10-18-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't mind the 3 films a month thing, especially this time of year, and with access to e-ticketing theaters, I'm not restricted in what I can see.
Old 10-18-18, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by skywalker8
Costco annual, and still unlimited here.
Originally Posted by DJariya
IMO there's simply no reason to have a MoviePass card now. If you live within 10 miles of an AMC, that is a much better and hassle free deal compared to this hot garbage company.

and now with Sinemia dropping their prices and accepted by many theaters, that's another viable option if you don't live near an AMC.

There's simply no real good reason to keep supporting this shitty company unless you really don't mind the 3 films/month thing and being dictated what films you can see each week and in some instances what time. I'm still amazed they're still in business.

Granted these movie discount programs are not for everyone especially for those who have families and usually don't have time to see movies each and every week. I would say you need to average around 5-6 movies per month to make these programs like A-List and Sinemia to make these worth it.
I disagree that there’s no reason, and you basically spell out the reasons in your post. You need 5-6 films for A-list or Sinemia to pay for themselves, but for many, MoviePass pays for itself with one ticket. Sure, the hoops suck, and some people might have cheaper matinees, so it’s going to be case-by-case and depend on what theaters you have available, and other factors. To be honest, I’m leaning towards staying on the crappy month to month plan once my yearly expires.
Old 10-18-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I disagree that there’s no reason, and you basically spell out the reasons in your post. You need 5-6 films for A-list or Sinemia to pay for themselves, but for many, MoviePass pays for itself with one ticket. Sure, the hoops suck, and some people might have cheaper matinees, so it’s going to be case-by-case and depend on what theaters you have available, and other factors. To be honest, I’m leaning towards staying on the crappy month to month plan once my yearly expires.
Actually my math was wrong. You could see 2 movies with A list and you’ve paid for the month. Matinees at AMC in my area are around 11 bucks.

If you see one IMAX...$17-22 in my area, that also essentially pays for the month.

But it depends on how much time you have in general. But, A list and Sinemia has way more perks than MoviePass.

But you’re right that not everyone has the same kind of time and viewing habits to support the more expensive subscription service like those. I personally think the restrictions that stranglehold the customers make them not worth the trouble and that’s why people shouldn’t support them. Plus they kept making up new rules. Just my opinion.
Old 10-18-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I was barely breaking even anyway. No way would a 5 - 6 film plan work for me. With the exceptions of my business trips, most of my movies were spur of the moment; it's a rainy day let's go see a movie, it's a Friday afternoon, I think I'll skip out on work early and see a movie. I needed that ability to just head over there and get my ticket. Even a buddy that works at the movie theater cancelled. He used to use it for friends and his kids. Too much hassle so he cancelled and he works right there.
Old 10-18-18, 04:15 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Actually my math was wrong. You could see 2 movies with A list and you’ve paid for the month. Matinees at AMC in my area are around 11 bucks.

If you see one IMAX...$17-22 in my area, that also essentially pays for the month.

But it depends on how much time you have in general. But, A list and Sinemia has way more perks than MoviePass.

But you’re right that not everyone has the same kind of time and viewing habits to support the more expensive subscription service like those. I personally think the restrictions that stranglehold the customers make them not worth the trouble and that’s why people shouldn’t support them. Plus they kept making up new rules. Just my opinion.
Any savings is a deal for me. I’ve seen over 25 movies since joining A-List at the end of July. So everything else for the remaining 12 months since sign up is essentially free. I signed up for MP around this time last year and have since cancelled. In the year I’ve seen about 100 movies. Minimum that would be $1000, but I think with the MP/AMC combo it has only been around $200. I’m way happier with AMC than MP. Not having to worry about getting the seat I want is great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.