Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 05:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Since they don’t have ticket verification anymore, I just buy a ticket for whatever I want.
Old 09-26-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I should cancel this. Sunday the only movie they offered that was at my theater was assignation nation.
I'll probably be seeing that sometime this week.
Old 09-26-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I cant believe i wasted one of my 3 movies on Assassination Nation. I should have checked into it and saw Lizzie or the Good Wife instead
Old 09-26-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I cant believe i wasted one of my 3 movies on Assassination Nation. I should have checked into it and saw Lizzie or the Good Wife instead
Lizzie was great.
Old 09-29-18, 07:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

The early morning every film available trick may be dead. I can still see a movie everyday with my annual pass, but I’m limited to MP’s preset choices for the day.
Old 09-29-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you, again, MoviePass, for having absolutely nothing I want to see on the only day I can go to a movie. Debating to pay actual money to see Smallfoot.... Reviews seem decent.
Old 09-29-18, 09:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone still on the annual plan? If so, what movie selection do you have each day?
Old 09-29-18, 09:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They discontinued the annual plan.
Old 09-29-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
They discontinued the annual plan.
They did, but I unfortunately am still in it until the end of November. I get the choice of Hell Fest at one theater or Assassination Nation or Little Women at another.

I've used it once since July -- for Crazy Rich Asians.
Old 09-29-18, 10:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

There are still a lot of us grandfathered into the annual plan, I can’t be the only one. And there may be different rules for different annual plans. I am on the Costco annual plan and still have a movie every day, no surcharges, yes on ticket verification, yes on the small pre-set list of films per day.
Old 09-30-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Well time to cancel. Out to dinner beside my theater. I know Night School and a couple of others are on today's list. Check the app and nothing showing at 6pm.

Ridiculous
Old 09-30-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

So now apparently they are going to reactivate those members that cancelled their plans during Auqust when the whole fiasco started with the 3 movie limit.

When they reactivate those that cancelled they will go back to the unlimited once a day plan of the movies they have selected on their app. If you don't want to be reactivated, you now have to "opt out" of being reactivated and being billed $10 a month.

So those that stayed with the service will still only get 3 movies a month and those that cancelled and don't want to return may start getting billed again if they don't log back on tok tell them not to reactivate their account.
Old 09-30-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
So now apparently they are going to reactivate those members that cancelled their plans during Auqust when the whole fiasco started with the 3 movie limit.

When they reactivate those that cancelled they will go back to the unlimited once a day plan of the movies they have selected on their app. If you don't want to be reactivated, you now have to "opt out" of being reactivated and being billed $10 a month.

So those that stayed with the service will still only get 3 movies a month and those that cancelled and don't want to return may start getting billed again if they don't log back on tok tell them not to reactivate their account.

Here's the story that he's referencing.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/1...monthly-charge

Luckily I've received no such e-mail, so I think I'm good.

For the rest of you, double check your mail boxes and be sure you didn't get that e-mail saying they will opt you back in.'
Old 09-30-18, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru

Isn't this completely illegal?
Old 09-30-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Isn't this completely illegal?
I’ve done zero research but I assume there is something in the TOS that allows this.

That said, it’s a total shit thing to do.
Old 09-30-18, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I’ve done zero research but I assume there is something in the TOS that allows this.

That said, it’s total shit and I am so glad I bailed on this joke of a service early on.
I read their TOS and at no point during their service they put a clause that they can bring back your account after cancellation and keep billing you. This is fucking criminal.
Old 09-30-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I read their TOS and at no point during their service they put a clause that they can bring back your account after cancellation and keep billing you. This is fucking criminal.
Huh. I’m not saying you’re wrong but that’s a pretty blatant thing to do without the company lawyers saying it’s okay.
Old 09-30-18, 11:29 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

And yet...
Old 10-01-18, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing yet, but they did try charging my card one more time which I disputed with my cc company back in August. Without a wide selection of movies this service is worthless to me. They are probably willing to go through the hassle of the pissed off people in exchange of the few who may just try it again.

Last edited by JimRochester; 10-01-18 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Well I cancelled yesterday. Maybe. Unless movie pass has other ideas
Old 10-01-18, 07:47 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I'm sure they could certainly re-active subscriptions with a free month to show people who canceled how things are running now, but they can not just re-activate it and charge your card.
Old 10-01-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

If they forcibly reactivate me, they better send me a new card.
Old 10-01-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

That email is unreal:

First of all, we would like to thank you for being one of our most loyal members. People like you are true visionaries – early adopters who are making their imprint on the entertainment landscape.

Together, we have changed the way people across the country expect to be entertained – and your voice has been heard by all of the major theater chains and Hollywood studios alike.

Because of you, we remain – by far – the largest theatrical subscription service in the country today.

In August 2018, we announced a new offering for three movies a month for $9.95, giving subscribers the ability to opt-in to this plan if they wanted to continue as a MoviePass subscriber. However, our records show that you have not yet taken any action on the new plan, and because of that your subscription was suspended and your monthly subscription charges have stopped.

Because we really hope you begin enjoying your MoviePass subscription again, we have chosen you to be a part of a select test group, who beginning Friday, October 5th will be restored to unlimited movies (up to one new movie title per day based on existing inventory) – the same subscription that you signed up for and you previously enjoyed. If you decide that you do not want this you must "opt out" before Thursday, October 4th at 9:00 p.m. EDT.

To be clear, unless you opt out, your unlimited subscription will be restored and you will begin enjoying unlimited movies again (up to 1 movie per day, based on existing inventory) at $9.95 per month, and your credit card on file will be charged on a monthly basis beginning Friday, October 5th, 2018.

If you do opt out of the restoration of your subscription to the unlimited plan, your subscription will be canceled and no longer held in a “suspended” status, and you will not be able to re-join until 9 months have passed.

Thanks for believing in us – see you at the movies!

The MoviePass Team
This reads to me like the people that didn't do anything and let their subs expire (because at the time you had to opt in to the new tos) are going to be resubscribed automatically. This way they catch all the people that just ignore their emails and can start charging them again. That TOS change basically got rid of their best customer: the guy who signed up a long time ago, forgot about it, but let them keep charging him. So this time they're basically saying, ok, don't look at the new tos, we'll continue charging on the old one.

What's odd is that I don't think existing customers can opt back into the unlimited, can they?
Old 10-01-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

So it's "unlimited" except that they limit it to like 2 or 3 of the most crappy movies currently playing at local cinemas and you can't watch any movie more than once? Thanks, I guess...
Old 10-01-18, 01:15 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

I was month to month and canceled in September. Uninstalled the app. Do I have to log back in to make sure I'm not reinstated, or what?! Unbelievable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.