Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 06-13-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by DJariya
For a company that’s in the red, I guess they can afford to charter a private jet and sponsor a big premiere event for what is essentially a low budget Indie film for Travolta.
They are also one of the Distributors of American Animals (2018) under MoviePass Ventures.
Old 06-13-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I would love to see the math or the curve or whatever where more users makes them cash flow positive.
From what I understand, they are going on the assumption that the early adopters of the service are people who attend more movies - the people who create more negative cash flow. As the user base grows, there will be a higher percentage of members who don't attend as often. Combine that with discounts from theater chains, and they could potentially see some positive cash flow. Add in the (as yet unrealized) revenue from data mining, and the model could work.

Of course, that is all based on a lot of "ifs".
Old 06-13-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Every single part of this sentence is just bizarre.
I was being sarcastic that they can afford to spend like this when they are almost broke.

They’re sponsoring Gotti like it’s a big Hollywood event when it’s just a low budget Indie movie they happened to acquire.
Old 06-13-18, 10:32 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

I was being sarcastic that they can afford to spend like this when they are almost broke.

They’re sponsoring Gotti like it’s a big Hollywood event when it’s just a low budget Indie movie they happened to acquire.
Fake it til you make it.
Old 06-13-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

https://instagram.com/p/Bjus87ADb7W/

For a company that’s in the red, I wonder how they can afford to charter a private jet and sponsor a big premiere event for what is essentially a low budget Indie film for Travolta.
maybe its the jet Travolta already owns
Old 06-13-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/news/33...bscribers-mark

MoviePass clears 3M subscribers mark

Jun. 13, 2018 9:37 AM•SA Editor Clark Schultz

MoviePass announces that it exceeded 3M paying subscribers.

The company still expects to exceed 5M paying subscribers by the end of 2018.

MoviePass says it currently represents more than 5% of total U.S. box office receipts and is close to 8% of box office during peak weeks. The ticket subscription service says that when it actively advertises select films to its subscribers it has seen box office receipts push to over 30% share.

“With MoviePass Films and MoviePass Ventures under the Helios umbrella, we are continuously adding more perks and services for our MoviePass subscribers. Consistent growth in MoviePass subscribers means we can utilize our media companies in ways no one has seen before,” says Helios and Matheson Analytics (HMNY +1.1%) CEO Ted Farnsworth.

Source: Press Release
Old 06-13-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
From what I understand, they are going on the assumption that the early adopters of the service are people who attend more movies - the people who create more negative cash flow. As the user base grows, there will be a higher percentage of members who don't attend as often. Combine that with discounts from theater chains, and they could potentially see some positive cash flow. Add in the (as yet unrealized) revenue from data mining, and the model could work.

Of course, that is all based on a lot of "ifs".
Yes, a lot of “ifs”. One of the biggest criticisms of their leadership isn’t necessarily the “ifs” — it’s that they keep adding more and more without solving or mastering a previous strategy.
Old 06-13-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

5M subscribers by the end of 2018? Gee, I just hope they are still around by then.
Old 06-13-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts

To theaters, the press: we are selling so many tickets, look at the huge percentage of the box office we are! When we want to push a movie, it gets pushed.

To investors: All these new subscribers won't be seeing any movies, in fact most people will only see a handful of movies and keep their subscription. We're not bleeding money like crazy, it's sustainable. You'll see.
Old 06-13-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I'm confused as to the hate MP is getting. Instead of hating most of you should just get a membership and go nuts watching as many movies as you can. Stop being passive aggressive.
Old 06-13-18, 06:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Stupid app... So I checked in to a movie and bought my ticket. Went to my seat and was going to take a picture of the ticket and... Now the option is gone. What the heck?
Old 06-13-18, 07:06 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Stupid app... So I checked in to a movie and bought my ticket. Went to my seat and was going to take a picture of the ticket and... Now the option is gone. What the heck?
I mentioned earlier that has happened to me a few times. I was able to use it again without taking a photo. A saved the stubs incase it becomes an issue.
Old 06-13-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
This happened to a friend of mine not too long ago.

If I remember right, he just closed the App, re-opened it, checked into the Movie Time again and it gave him the option to take a photo.
Old 06-13-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Oh I wasn't mocking you. Just commenting on the bizarreness of that sentence. John Travolta promoting an indie movie on instagram financed by a (nearly) failed venture.
Old 06-13-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm confused as to the hate MP is getting. Instead of hating most of you should just get a membership and go nuts watching as many movies as you can. Stop being passive aggressive.
Oh I think most of us are. And I think most of us don't hate MP. We hate their shady practices and questionable decisions, but I think most of us want MP to succeed for selfish reasons.

Has anyone else's movie watching habits actually decreased this summer? I guess with summer blockbuster season with few new releases and removing the ability to watch a movie more than once has really curtailed my movie going.
Old 06-13-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Maybe MP is thinking of hiking up the price after the one year that many signed up for initially. That time is coming in the not-too-distant future. There's some income to be gained perhaps from many who won't notice initially the rate increase. Just thinking out loud about the long term plans they may have.
Old 06-15-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

Interesting they hit 3 million subscribers but they are at 34 cents stock wise.

It also seems they may be offering a family plan soon as well..

https://gizmodo.com/moviepass-is-loo...mon-1826839544

So that’s a family plan, and it’s also the ‘bring-a-friend’ plan. ... It would be the same [cost] that it is right now. We might do something down the road to get more of a discount for the family plan. ... But it’s all the convenience of going with your family. You’ve got it all in one app, one card, one everything.
could they possibly be thinking of a family plan for 9.99 where I can bring my wife and kids to multiple movies a month? That is insane...
Old 06-15-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Interesting they hit 3 million subscribers but they are at 34 cents stock wise.

It also seems they may be offering a family plan soon as well..

https://gizmodo.com/moviepass-is-loo...mon-1826839544

could they possibly be thinking of a family plan for 9.99 where I can bring my wife and kids to multiple movies a month? That is insane...
The wording is weird but when they say same cost they must mean same cost per person, meaning you could buy four subscriptions for 9.99 each, maybe with a slight discount, not your whole family could go for the same price as a single sub.
Old 06-15-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy 8 or 10 or whatever. I forget. It's the latest model. She had the latest version of the app. We both went to see Hereditary last night, using Movie Pass. Every time she went to Check In, the app threw up a JavaScript error saying no theater in range (we were literally outside the lobby).

She rebooted the phone twice, double checked GPS and location and permission settings, the works. No dice.

She opened up a chat window and waited for 10 minutes for someone to respond. Meanwhile I Googled their phone support number and called, only to be told by a recording that their call volume was WAAAAAAAY too high and to use the app chat window.

She ended up buying a ticket and we went to the movie anyhow (GREAT flick btw). As we were walking out of the theare, a support rep FINALLY responded to her chat window request.

Long story short, they are reimbursing her for the cost of a ticket as a "one time courtesy".

Motherfuckers. Like they're doing us a favor.
Old 06-15-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The wording is weird but when they say same cost they must mean same cost per person, meaning you could buy four subscriptions for 9.99 each, maybe with a slight discount, not your whole family could go for the same price as a single sub.

Yes - I read another article about that and the implication that it would (sub price) x (number of family members) was clearer.

They used to be pretty quick with the photo reimbursement thing, but recently they have said they'll only do it if you open a support ticket with them before buying the movie ticket.
Old 06-15-18, 03:35 PM

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Used it for Deadpool 2 on Wednesday night at the nearest AMC, still have yet to be asked to take a photo of the stub at all. Not a complaint, just an observation.
Old 06-15-18, 05:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
This happened to a friend of mine not too long ago.

If I remember right, he just closed the App, re-opened it, checked into the Movie Time again and it gave him the option to take a photo.
Unfortunately, that did not work for me, as at that point it said I had already seen the movie and I couldn't select it again. Oh well... I haven't had to use my MoviePass since then, but I kept the stub for that one just in case it comes up when I do my next check-in...
Old 06-19-18, 11:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Used mine again yesterday, and had no problem checking in. Uploading my ticket stub took forever, but it still worked.
Just a friendly tip: If your ticket stub has personal info on it (name / rewards ID / etc.) cover that shit up when you take a pic. Considering basically anyone can sign up for the Amazon service that validates ticket stubs, you probably don't want your personal info on display.
Old 06-19-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rumor is that AMC will announce their own plan next Tuesday. Note that this is only a rumor:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl...h8&sh=93b2d665
Old 06-20-18, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Rumor is that AMC will announce their own plan next Tuesday. Note that this is only a rumor:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl...h8&sh=93b2d665
If that's true that's a great deal and I'll ditch Movie Pass. $20 a month for 3 movies a week, INCLUDING premium format?! Sign me up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.