Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

movies that ask you to disregard events of previous movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

movies that ask you to disregard events of previous movie

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: movies that ask you to disregard events of previous movie

Originally Posted by cactusoly
In "On Her Majesty's Sectret Service" Bond and Blofeld don't know each ofther although Blofeld was revieled in "You Only Live Twice" that one always bothered me
The stories were filmed out of order. Bond and Blofeld actually meet for the first time in OHMSS, which follows the novel almost religiously. In this case you are not asked to disregard the previous movie, but rather the flawed YOLT is asking you to disregard the superior movie that follows it.
If RAIDERS conflicted TEMPLE OF DOOM which takes place first.
Old 04-24-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've always felt Die Hard with a Vengeance did this. In Die Hard 2, McClane is a semi-famous superhero happily reconciled with his wife and now working for the LAPD. (And working there makes absolutely no sense by the way, since he didn't really endear himself to the police chief.) When the third one starts, he's once again a loser separated from his wife and back with NYPD. (And arguably, starts off as a much better sequel because it seems to better understand McClane's character.)

The other one I can think of is Rambo. When Rambo II ended, Rambo was done with war and walked away to live the life of a recluse somewhere in Thailand. In Rambo III, he trades in this anonymous existence to rescue Colonel Trautman in Afghanistan and in so doing finds new meaning in his life. The fourth movie, though, pretends like Rambo III never happened. Once again he's back in Thailand (did he make a special trip there again just to settle down and catch snakes?), living day-by-day trying to forget his life and his past when he gets reluctantly pulled into the civil war conflict in Burma. This was a wise direction for the series - as this was a much better, believable conclusion compared to the rather ridiculous adventure set in Afghanistan.
Old 04-24-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
The stories were filmed out of order. Bond and Blofeld actually meet for the first time in OHMSS, which follows the novel almost religiously. In this case you are not asked to disregard the previous movie, but rather the flawed YOLT is asking you to disregard the superior movie that follows it.
The other interesting thing about this is the next movie, Diamonds are Forever, basically pretends like OHMSS never happened. (No doubt because OHMSS was not very successful initially and Lazenby was replaced by a returning Sean Connery.) It starts off in Japan with Bond looking for Blofeld as if the movie picked up right where YOLT left off. There's absolutely no mention of Bond's marriage to Tracy.

Then at some point the Bond series began to acknowledge OHMSS as canon and referenced his wife at times. Things really came full circle when the series instead started to pretend like DAF was the one that never happened. In For Your Eyes Only, Blofeld is back to looking like he did at the end of OHMSS - still with the injuries he sustained from his bobsled fight with Bond in that film.

Last edited by rennervision; 04-24-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
The Dalton and Brosnan films have none of these references though.
Not so. There are references to Tracy in License to Kill and The World is Not Enough. The actor who played Leiter in a Moore film returned as Leiter in a Dalton film (David Hedison in LALD/LTK) and of course you have a ton of references in Die Another Day. Plus there's Q, M, Gogol and the defense minister who appeared in TLD with Dalton after appearing in 5 consecutive Moore films.

Wait, have you actually seen the Dalton and Brosnan films?
Old 04-25-14, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rennervision
The other interesting thing about this is the next movie, Diamonds are Forever, basically pretends like OHMSS never happened. (No doubt because OHMSS was not very successful initially and Lazenby was replaced by a returning Sean Connery.) It starts off in Japan with Bond looking for Blofeld as if the movie picked up right where YOLT left off. There's absolutely no mention of Bond's marriage to Tracy.
I believe the filmmakers were taking the position that OHMSS never happened and that Diamonds continues after YOLT. The best way to make sense of it:

OHMSS-directly follows THUNDERBALL. Bond is seeking Blofeld for the SPECTRE plot in THUNDERBALL. Bond and Blofeld meet for first time. As in the novels. There is nothing in the story to suggest YOLT has happen yet.
YOLT-There is nothing in the film to contradict OHMSS already happening(except no mention of Tracy, which is moot because she isn't referenced in DAF either). When Bond and Blofeld come face to face nothing suggests they haven't already met. They recognized each other immediately.
DAF-begins with Bond hunting Blofeld for all previoius crimes. Nothing to contradict this. It's obvious throughout the film that Bond and Blofeld are previously familiar with each other.
For Your Eyes Only- In the pre-credits sequence, Blofeld is in wheelchair because of injuries suffered at end of DAF when Bond was crashing his escape pod all over the place.
Old 04-25-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The Planet of the Apes films ignored continuity any time it made for a better plot. I mean, why would NASA send a rescue mission after Taylor when his mission in the first film was obviously going to take decades? And when exactly did Kira and Cornelius salvage Taylor's ship, refuel it, take off, and discover the secrets of time travel?
I haven't thought about any of this in about 40 years, but, yeah, they sure brushed all that off pretty quickly, didn't they? Of course, we didn't have the internet back then to ask all these questions and the reviewers of the time simply didn't give a shit since they were seeing tons of movies every week. Chances are the reviewers assigned to the sequels hadn't even SEEN the previous films in the series. A lot of the reviewers in the daily papers were completely clueless about popular cinema back then. I remember Vincent Canby (New York Times) wondering in his review of COTTON COMES TO HARLEM why the black audience was so confused about where their loyalties should lie. That's the villain they're cheering for! What's wrong with them? (I have the exact quote somewhere and it's pretty funny. It has special meaning to me because I was at the the exact same screening where Canby saw it. This was before advance critics' screenings became the norm.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-25-14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 10:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I believe the filmmakers were taking the position that OHMSS never happened and that Diamonds continues after YOLT. The best way to make sense of it
Except that at the beginning of Diamonds Bond is seeking revenge on Blofeld, and the events of OHMSS are clearly referenced in the pre-credit sequence for "For Your Eyes Only".
Old 04-25-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Chances are the reviewers assigned to the sequels hadn't even SEEN the previous films in the series.
I chalk the OHMSS/YOLT discrepancy with Bond and Blofeld to the fact that the two films had different writers. Back then a screenwriter couldn't just marathon the previous 4-5 movies at home over the weekend before writing their adaptation. They would need to arrange screenings or request screenplays from the studio and there are several known instances of writers not reviewing the work of their predecessors, whether its the writers of the 5the 5th Planet of the Apes film declining screenings of the previous 4 to X-Files writers Morgan & Wong admittedly not watching the episodes in seasons 2 and 3 that they didn't work on (both of which caused continuity issues) to Steve Zaillian and Ridley Scott including a recurring character in Hannibal (that ended up being cut from the film but is present in the deleted scenes)that was deleted from the Silence of the Lambs screenplay. Similar situation: different screenwriter and director.

I don't think stuff like film-to-film continuity was on the radar of Hollywood in general before the 70s. I can't imagine Broccoli and Saltzman talking about reboots or canon or whatever. I just think that when you mix up the order of the books and go from the writer/director team of Gilbert/Dahl to Hunt/Maibaum its easy to see how they didn't have their facts straight re: the continuity. That is the most simple and obvious answer.
Old 04-25-14, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Batman Returns in some ways. Visually At least.
Batman Forever in some ways, much different tone and cast.

The Hammer Frankenstien and Dracula continuities are all over the place.

One of the original Pink Panther flims totally ignored the previous films plot.
I don't see how Batman Returns contradicts anything from Batman. Sure the style is a bit different. He's changed or updated his technology.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Highander 2 blatantly contradicts Highlander. And the third Highlander contradicts both of them.

That's why there can be only one.
I also don't see how Highlander 2 contradicts Highlander 1. The two different meeting stories can be easily explained by saying that when you're sent into the future, you lose your memory of that past. And how does Highlander 3 contradict anything?

Last edited by HellTrack; 04-25-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-25-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Except that at the beginning of Diamonds Bond is seeking revenge on Blofeld, and the events of OHMSS are clearly referenced in the pre-credit sequence for "For Your Eyes Only".
It is never stated that Bond is seeking revenge for Tracy, just that he's hunting Blofeld. He was obsessed with finding Blofeld in OHMSS also. The fact that he is hunting Blofeld on his own time at begging of DAF implies that he is seeking revenge, however, in OHMSS Bond also takes a leave of absence to pursue Blofeld on his own time after being officially relieved of the case. He even resigned over it, "Blofeld is a must with me".

Bond at Tracy's grave in For Your Eyes Only is a direct reference to OHMSS, but nothing implies it is directly after OHMSS, rather Bond visits the grave occasionally and Blofeld has been plotting revenge while Bond is off doing Live Let Die, Man Golden Gun, etc.

I remember something that fouls my earlier post of inserting OHMSS before YOLT. In YOLT Blofeld introduces himself to Bond, "My name is Ernst Stravo Blofeld" implying a first meet.

There could be multiple Blofelds, like multiple No. 2s on THE PRISONER. Maybe SPECTRE created multiple Blofelds with "The Blofeld Identity", like the CIA created multiple agents with the Jason Bourne identity.
Old 04-25-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or they just made the movies in a different order than the books were written.
Old 09-27-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe the filmmakers were taking the position that OHMSS never happened and that Diamonds continues after YOLT. The best way to make sense of it:

OHMSS-directly follows THUNDERBALL. Bond is seeking Blofeld for the SPECTRE plot in THUNDERBALL. Bond and Blofeld meet for first time. As in the novels.
At the very end of the closing credits of Thunderball, it originally said something like "James Bond will return in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' " because that was the planned order of films when TB was filmed. But due to all the snow skiing scenes in OHMSS, they would have had to wait until the following winter in order to film it which would have delayed the next Bond film release by another year. So they decided to jump ahead to the next book in the series and started production on You Only Live Twice instead. This decision is when the discrepancy started.

Just thinking about that fact and the "what if they were simply willing to wait another year to release the next Bond film?" - a "what if" question that then would have most like had Sean Connery starring in a very different version of OHMSS. And then that movie would have been followed by a very different version of YOLT (starring ???).
Old 09-27-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTrack
I don't see how Batman Returns contradicts anything from Batman. Sure the style is a bit different. He's changed or updated his technology.
Nothing is really contradicted but stylistically and tonally Batman is completely different from Batman Returns if you ask me. Batman also isn't a steaming piece of shit.

The obvious answer to me is that the prequel trilogy is contradicted in many ways when compared original trilogy in Star Wars. Lucas basically butchered the originals to make them fit his "artistic vision" for the franchise on a whole.
Old 09-27-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of horror movie sequels which several posters have mentioned notablly Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street.
Old 09-28-14, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I would add to the Bond debate is his skills.

In certain films he knows how to defuse/disarm bombs or missiles and in others he doesn't.

This goes well with a theory I once heard which I like quite alot.
James Bond is just a name. M just selects the right agent for that mission, the next mission might be for a different agent.
Old 09-28-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by writer106
When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of horror movie sequels which several posters have mentioned notablly Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street.
I don't really count horror films I guess. They're sort of in a different league than normal films and in a lot of them (particularly the big ones like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.) real world rules don't really apply to begin with and especially as the sequels go on.
Old 09-28-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by jdslater1
The thing I would add to the Bond debate is his skills.

In certain films he knows how to defuse/disarm bombs or missiles and in others he doesn't.

This goes well with a theory I once heard which I like quite alot.
James Bond is just a name. M just selects the right agent for that mission, the next mission might be for a different agent.
Skyfall makes that theory impossible, though, since we get confirmation that James Bond is his real name.
Old 09-28-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always took Bond as each actor was in their own continuity. So the Connery Bond went through all his movies but the Moore Bond didn't experience Dr No, Gold Finger and the others. So Brosnan films ignore all pre GoldenEye films just as Craig's Bond ignores all those and is just starting out since they are brining in elements of past Bonds.
Old 09-28-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Skyfall makes that theory impossible, though, since we get confirmation that James Bond is his real name.
Honestly that's one thing I wish Skyfall wouldn't have done. That theory made a lot of sense and made it a lot more plausible as to why Bond's look has changed so much over time and why he doesn't age throughout the series.
Old 09-28-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually haven't thought too much about it but after reading that theory a while back it did make a lot of sense before Skyfall took a shit on it.
Old 09-28-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think the new Bond is a reboot, even though it's never been explicitly stated.
Old 09-28-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I actually haven't thought too much about it but after reading that theory a while back it did make a lot of sense before Skyfall took a shit on it.
I think Skyfall's purpose was to roundly establish that Casino Royale going forward is a new Bond series free of the events of the previous movies. Judi Dench as M was just an instance where they liked the job she did portraying the character, and felt she would be the best choice to start the reboot. It's just the character in a different reality. Also, it can be inferred that some version of the Goldfinger story occurred to necessitate the classic car. Granted, if Q sector came up with that in modern times they were using pretty dated technology, but still...the only way Bond could have done that mission in the 60s is if he is in fact, immortal. But then again, Connery was portraying Bond, and it was proven in Highlander that he was indeed immortal (no way a Spanish man would ever talk like a Scotsman). But he was also beheaded, but it was proven in Highlander 2 that he could be resurrected regardless due to the events of the Dread Planet Zeist, so maybe that's what happened..deary me I've gone all cross-eyed.

Anyhoo, I believe that the Bond movies from Dr. No to Die Another Day are a case where the Bond identity was passed from one agent to another. I also think that there is a possibility that the agent who took over the 007/Bond identity after YOLT was so scarred after what happened to Tracy that he most likely died seeking vengeance with a clouded mind. This necessitated the return of Connery's Bond.
Old 09-28-14, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cactusoly
In "On Her Majesty's Sectret Service" Bond and Blofeld don't know each ofther although Blofeld was revieled in "You Only Live Twice" that one always bothered me
in diamonds are forever bond doesn't act like blofeld killed his wife.
Old 09-28-14, 06:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
in diamonds are forever bond doesn't act like blofeld killed his wife.
He's mad about something at the beginning, although we're not explicitly told what.
Old 09-28-14, 08:31 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Monsters University: Showing the characters want to go to school and learn to be scare-ers and win the scare competition and get jobs scaring kids requires us to completely forget what we already know; that the whole first film is about how the power utility's use of childrens' screams is unethical and that the power of their laughter is 10x more powerful.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.