Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantom Menace to be released in 3D Next Spring

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Phantom Menace to be released in 3D Next Spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace...in 3-D for 2012

I've always been able to overlook all the flaws in TPM because it has an awesome score. I can easily sit through it, but AOTC with its minimal score is unbearable. When I saw TPM yesterday I had a big problem with an issue that seems to be recurring, not with the film itself, but the theatre not projecting movies at full brightness to save money on their electricity. Felt like I was watching a dark muddy print with sunglasses on. The opening crawl, the opening shot in the hanger, & the pod race were pretty cool though.
Old 02-15-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
When I saw TPM yesterday I had a big problem with an issue that seems to be recurring, not with the film itself, but the theatre not projecting movies at full brightness to save money on their electricity. Felt like I was watching a dark muddy print with sunglasses on.
Did you watch it in 3D or 2D? the 3D process and projection method is going to cause the image to look a little darker.
Old 02-15-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Did you watch it in 3D or 2D? the 3D process and projection method is going to cause the image to look a little darker.
This is true, but I think the poster is probably correct in assuming his theater also is dimming the brightness...you know, a chain could really make a lot of money if they offered some kind of "certified" theater where the sound, picture, etc. were all up to/exceeding standards. Every screen at my local Cinemark has a washed-out look to the color because they're running the light/lamp so low (do digital screens require lamps the way film screens do? If not, why does the picture look just as bad...is it a settings issue?) Sorry - probably a topic for another thread!
Old 02-15-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Every screen at my local Cinemark has a washed-out look to the color because they're running the light/lamp so low (do digital screens require lamps the way film screens do? If not, why does the picture look just as bad...is it a settings issue?) Sorry - probably a topic for another thread!
Digital Projectors still use lamps, and dimming can be an issue. There's also an issue where some theater owners leave the 3D lens on the projector for a 2D movie, and the polarized lens cuts the visible light down.

Originally Posted by Paul1957
Many theaters misuse 3-D lenses to show 2-D films, squandering brightness, color:

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/arti...sredirect=true
Reply from Sony
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/so...vies-20110527/
Old 02-16-12, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

you know, a chain could really make a lot of money if they offered some kind of "certified" theater where the sound, picture, etc. were all up to/exceeding standards.
That's what THX started out as, but they relaxed their standards until it didn't mean anything anymore.
Old 02-16-12, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went and saw it at the Arclight Cinerama Dome in L.A. (which uses XpanD 3D) because it wasn't playing in IMAX and I figured this wast the next best 3D. Well, the 3D was very underwhelming. On top of the usual problem of the movie being dark and muddy, there was hardly any 3D effect at all. For about 40-60% of the movie, there was no discernable 3D effect. If there was any "depth", I sure couldn't see it. And when the 3D was noticeable, it was more of a pop-up book effect with objects and people in the foreground sticking out while the background was just a flat image (rather than a deep, textured image like in well-done 3D films). Total waste. It's probably better to just watch it in 2D and enjoy a bright sharp image on the big screen.

Last edited by lamphorn; 02-16-12 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 02:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

even on the ETX screen at Tysons, where the brightness level was excellent (and the sound topnotch) the 3D 'effect' was disappointing. Some of the CGI shots had a little depth, but really the overall 3D seemed really pointless.
Old 02-17-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I think it would have been better to have Ep I - III mirror the Original Trilogy in some ways. Like have all three feature Anakin as an adult.

I don't know why, storywise, R2 and 3PO needed to be there.
Lucas loves recurring themes and originally he was going to have Anakin and the prequals mirror the OT. But he had a couple of small children that he was pandering to and he made Anakin their age and gave us Jar-Jar (whom they both loved) instead of making what should have been better movies. One thing that has bugged me how short Ep 2 & 3 are, and how so much like Anakin's switch to the dark side is so quick; I blame this on his revamped idea for Ep1 and young Anakin.

R2 and C3P0 are suppose to be the only ones in all of them and a inspired by Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress characters - Tahei and Matashichi.
Old 02-23-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Darth Maul's return looks like it's going to be fantastic. Can't wait!

<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1468690309001&playerID=102195605001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABvaL8JE~,ufBHq_I6Fnyou4pHiM9gbgVQA16tDSWm&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1468690309001&playerID=102195605001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAABvaL8JE~,ufBHq_I6Fnyou4pHiM9gbgVQA16tDSWm&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 02-23-12, 04:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so they are going to bring him back, only to kill him off again rather quickly if he was a non player in the OT.
Old 02-23-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whatever happened to that "always two there are, no more, no less" Sith rule bullshit?

By my count, there's at least five of them running around in The Clone Wars, and I don't even watch the show.

Palpatine
Dooku
Asajj Ventress
Darth Maul
Yellow Darth Maul
Old 02-23-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
so they are going to bring him back, only to kill him off again rather quickly if he was a non player in the OT.
Dave Filoni says that's not going to happen.

"To go through all the trouble and believability to bring this character back, it would be a shame if it was once again a short-lived thing," Filoni says. "A lot of effort went into the resurrection of Darth Maul, and I'm going to make it worthwhile for the fans, that's for sure."
Old 02-23-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

They're bringing back a character that was cut in half and fell into an abyss? That's worse than bringing Fett back from the Sarlaac.
Old 02-24-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first part of the four part finale begins in an hour and ten minutes. Be sure to check it out.
Old 02-25-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is just a rumor, and I don't really buy it, but we'll see if it pans out.

"According to a UK Fox Rep, we MAY be seeing Attack of the Clones 3D August 2012 followed by Revenge of the Sith Feb 2013."
Old 02-25-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

That kinda makes sense. At that rate, A New Hope will hit theaters summer of 2013.
Old 02-25-12, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That kinda makes sense. At that rate, A New Hope will hit theaters summer of 2013.
That, and they have to get people to the re-issues before the whole 3D fad finally goes in the toilet.

Other than CG films and maybe 1-2 other tent-pole films from the each major, this will all be over by the end of 2013.

fitprod
Old 02-25-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Won't a lot of the summer blockbusters still be around in August? If TPM can't out do Journey 2 in February, how is AoTC gonna compete in the summer? I could see Sept/Oct maybe...
Old 02-25-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They're bringing back a character that was cut in half and fell into an abyss? That's worse than bringing Fett back from the Sarlaac.
It IS Clone Wars...perhaps the new Maul is a clone.
Old 02-25-12, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....a clone they decided to get half of?
Old 02-25-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It IS Clone Wars...perhaps the new Maul is a clone.
It's not, although that's what I was initially hoping for. I'm not too big on half Maul; but it looks pretty awesome, so whatever.
Old 02-25-12, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by windom
Won't a lot of the summer blockbusters still be around in August? If TPM can't out do Journey 2 in February, how is AoTC gonna compete in the summer? I could see Sept/Oct maybe...
Thus... You have the built in excuse as to why the 3D release tanks.

fitprod
Old 02-29-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's some cool new. Simon Pegg will be voicing Dengar on this weeks episode of The Clone Wars.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/29/st...n-pegg-dengar/
Simon Pegg is giving Christopher Lee and Julian Glover a run for their money as an all-time franchise hopper. That’s because the Mission: Impossible and Star Trek star is finally set to make his trip to that Galaxy Far, Far Away. This Friday on Star Wars: The Clone Wars (check out our recaps here!), he’s playing Dengar, one of the bounty hunters that Darth Vader summons to track down the Millennium Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back.

“Dengar is one of the elite,” Pegg tells EW. “If you’re on Darth Vader’s bounty hunter speed dial, you are the best in the galaxy.” Sure, we only see Dengar for the briefest of moments in the movie, but like IG-88, Bossk, or Zuckuss, the mummy-wrapped bounty hunter has accumulated a massive cult-following over the years. Not to mention one amazing Robot Chicken parody. EW’s got your very first look at Dengar in action. Check out the clip from this Friday’s episode, “Bounty,” after the break:

Now, Pegg's involvement on The Clone Wars may come as a surprise. Anyone who's seen his British sitcom Spaced or read his Twitter feed knows that he has some very, shall we say, strong feelings about latter-day Star Wars, particularly The Phantom Menace. (One recent tweet: "Enjoyed Hugo, despite almost being ruined by Phantom Menace 3D trailer. Come and revisit the most disappointing 2 hours of your life, in 3D!") But, hey, he criticizes because he loves. As he tells EW, "It was a total honor to play this mysterious, hard man from my favorite Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back."

In "Bounty," Dengar teams up with Boba Fett, Bossk, and bounty hunter newbie Asajj Ventress to protect a valuable shipment being sent through the interior of a planet via hoverrail. Of course, forces conspire to pry this precious cargo from their greedy fingers. Think of it like The Great Train Robbery, as directed by George Lucas.

If you're a diehard Star Wars fanatic -- and, if you're reading this, you most likely are -- you'll know Dengar proved an early nemesis of Han Solo. That's because, like Solo, he hailed from Corellia and made an early splash on the swoop racing circuit. Later when he became a bounty hunter, and from "Bounty" it seems like he's at his prime during the Clone Wars, he received cybernetic implants to enhance his auditory and visual capabilities. So he ended up wearing these mummy rags, not out of some salute to bag-lady couture, but to conceal his "enhancements."

Be sure to join us for a live chat on EW.com this Friday starting at 7:40 p.m. ET with none other than Boba Fett himself, Daniel Logan. Not only does Logan voice the Fettmeister on The Clone Wars, he played him onscreen in Attack of the Clones. So get your questions for him ready!
Old 02-29-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

“If you’re on Darth Vader’s bounty hunter speed dial, you are the best in the galaxy.”
This got me thinking. How did Vader assemble all those bounty hunters so fast in TESB? Did they all just happen to be in the area? Or is hyperspace that fast that he just put the word out and they all pretty much arrived instantaneously? Did he have to wait for any stragglers before he could give them their orders? What if Zuckuss happened to be running late? Seems like they could have wasted valuable time tracking down the Falcon.
Old 02-29-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
This got me thinking. How did Vader assemble all those bounty hunters so fast in TESB? Did they all just happen to be in the area? Or is hyperspace that fast that he just put the word out and they all pretty much arrived instantaneously? Did he have to wait for any stragglers before he could give them their orders? What if Zuckuss happened to be running late? Seems like they could have wasted valuable time tracking down the Falcon.
The only way Empire comes close to making sense is if it covers several weeks or even months. The idea that Luke trained up in just a couple days is obviously absurd, and since the Falcon had its hyperdrive broken yet managed to get from Hoth to Anoat to Bespin, there must've been some serious passage of time. (Realistically without hyperdrive, the Falcon shouldn't've even gotten to Anoat, but it's Star Wars not 2001.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.