Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Theaters not giving option of 2D on 3D movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Theaters not giving option of 2D on 3D movies?

Old 05-24-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Theaters not giving option of 2D on 3D movies?

Originally Posted by GCS
Overall I am not a 3D fan. Avatar was mindblowing in 3D but nothing else I have seen in 3D has been worth it. And many of the theaters in my area are having less and less 2D showings vs 3D showings. They aren't gone but more than 50% of the showtimes are for 3D shows now.
Step Up 3D. Easily the best live-action 3D presentation I've seen theatrically and the other eight on here who saw it in theaters will agree. Even the 3D Blu-ray is top notch as the 3D is truly something to behold with a magnificent depth of field.

For the moments that were shot with the Fusion and Phantom, which were few and far between, Jackass 3D also presented some great 3D.
Old 05-24-11, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3D in Transformers 3 is supposed to be excellent

Bad conversions are one thing, but its another thing when you have hack directors filming in native 3D, like with Tron Legacy and Pirates 4. They are essentially just filming 2D movies and occasionally bumping up the depth or some shit, otherwise they are utterly flat and take no advantage whatsoever of the format. They aren't putting forth any creative work, in regards to the directing.

Opinion of those who saw the Transformers 3D footage is that Bay goes all out with the 3D cameras and that its bar none the best 3D since Avatar
Old 02-03-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Instead of posting a new thread, I decided to revise an existing thread.

/Film posted a great three-page article this morning on which is the best theatrical 3D format (between RealD, Dolby 3D, XpanD or IMAX 3D). It not only includes the technical differences between the four, but also filmmakers thoughts on the various formats. That article can be found here.

TL;DR: RealD is the more versatile and common format, so filmmakers optimize their films for the RealD experience. This is despite the fact IMAX 3D is brighter and Dolby 3D shows off colors better, but both reuse their glasses which happens to be their biggest detractor. XpanD plain sucks.

Personally, I believe it all depends on the projectors and venue. I've only seen two films in 3D theatrically more than once: Step Up 3D and Final Destination 5.

The first time I saw Step Up 3D was in a Dolby 3D auditorium (in 7.1) and it was a complete visceral experience. I was floored by how great the film sounded, but blown away by how in-depth the 3D looked. The second time I saw it was using RealD alongside a Christie projector and the 3D didn't pop as much as the Dolby 3D experience. The third time I saw it was again in RealD theater alongside a Sony CineAlta 4K projector and it was on par to that first experience in Dolby 3D.

Final Destination 5 was a similar experience. The first viewing was in a theater using RealD alongside a Christie projector. The 3D was good, but not great. The second viewing was in a theater using RealD alongside a Sony CineAlta 4K projector and it was a night and day difference in comparison to how the 3D popped and I could easily see the depth of field that was offered.

On the flip side, I've seen IMAX 3D presentations that have flat out sucked (i.e. Tron: Legacy and Transformers: Dark of the Moon) and that have been great (i.e. The Adventures of Tintin)... all in the same auditorium.

It's also good to know where your best 3D experiences can be as 2D showings of films released in 3D are slowly becoming extinct. As it stands, only two theaters in town are showing 2D showings of Underworld: Awakening all day. The rest have either eliminated 2D showings to once or twice a day or are only showing the 3D version at this point.
Old 02-03-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3D does nothing to add to enhance my movie watching experience. When films such as Hugo or Avatar are released in 3D, everyone jumps on the bandwagon that just because Scorsese and Cameron endorse it for their movie, it must be good. At least in terms of Avatar, I can say that having seen it in 3D IMAX and also in non-3D, the picture is more breathtaking in 2D. I will agree that some movies look better than others in 3D, but it remains an inferior movie watching experience in terms of picture color and size/scope of the image.

Here is a great article put out by Roger Ebert on why 3D does not work. The bulk of it contains a letter from well-respected film editor and sound mixer Walter Murch explaining the reasons:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

Although I personally dislike 3D, I recognize that for some reason others enjoy it (or think they do). It is very frustrating though when you can't see a film in 2D (especially IMAX, where the glasses really distort the size of the full screen). Thankfully The Dark Knight Rises will be in 2D IMAX - the ultimate movie watching experience.

Last edited by gp1086; 02-03-12 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's hoping 3D dies again and we don't have to deal with it for another 40 years or so and by then I'll be dead...Whoa, that's not a long time, I need to get busy!
Old 03-02-12, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry but i had to revive my thread!

It’s been insane these past couple months! Last summer I was really scared about not having choices for all the big blockbusters that were going to be in 3D and to my surprise pretty much all of them had a 2D option. Which makes no sense because there were so MANY 3D movies at the SAME time that it’s weird they actually gave 2D showing.

Recently though ALL 3D movies in my area in Downtown Montreal have all been 3D only. Underworld, Ghost Rider, Lorax, Journey 2 etc. Not that I particularly mind for THOSE movies as I don’t care for them (except for Underworld which was awesome but I HAD to see it in 3D as there was no 2D option…)

So there are LESS 3D movies but we still don’t get an option for 2D?! Makes no sense!

I’m really praying for John Carter to have the option!
Old 03-02-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
So there are LESS 3D movies but we still don’t get an option for 2D?! Makes no sense!
This actually makes perfect sense. Movie Theaters paid a lot upgrade their projectors to digital 3D, so they want to get the maximum return on those screens, which means playing 3D on them as often as possible.

With more 3D movies, the number of potential 3D screenings would be larger than the number of 3D screens, meaning some of those screenings would have to be on 2D screens instead. With less 3D movies, the theaters are able to fit all of the screenings for a 3D film onto their 3D screens.

As a hypothetical example, suppose a multiplex has 3 3D screens. Then, let's say there's 2 3D movies in release, and the theater wants to put each film on 3 screens. So the theater has to put one movie on 2 3D and 1 2D screens, while the other movie is on 1 3D and 2 2D screens.

Now, suppose there's only 1 3D movie out, and the theater wants it on 3 screens. The theater can fit all 3 showings on its 3 3D screens, and doesn't need any 2D screens. In fact, it would want to put them all on 3D screens, as otherwise one of the 3D screens would be "wasted" by screening a 2D film instead.

So having more 3D films out is better for 2D enthusiasts, since the number of 3D films outstrips the theaters' ability to screen them in 3D, causing 2D screenings.
Old 03-02-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This actually makes perfect sense. Movie Theaters paid a lot upgrade their projectors to digital 3D, so they want to get the maximum return on those screens, which means playing 3D on them as often as possible.

With more 3D movies, the number of potential 3D screenings would be larger than the number of 3D screens, meaning some of those screenings would have to be on 2D screens instead. With less 3D movies, the theaters are able to fit all of the screenings for a 3D film onto their 3D screens.

As a hypothetical example, suppose a multiplex has 3 3D screens. Then, let's say there's 2 3D movies in release, and the theater wants to put each film on 3 screens. So the theater has to put one movie on 2 3D and 1 2D screens, while the other movie is on 1 3D and 2 2D screens.

Now, suppose there's only 1 3D movie out, and the theater wants it on 3 screens. The theater can fit all 3 showings on its 3 3D screens, and doesn't need any 2D screens. In fact, it would want to put them all on 3D screens, as otherwise one of the 3D screens would be "wasted" by screening a 2D film instead.

So having more 3D films out is better for 2D enthusiasts, since the number of 3D films outstrips the theaters' ability to screen them in 3D, causing 2D screenings.
So what you are saying is there is not as much 3D in it.
Old 03-02-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
So what you are saying is there is not as much 3D in it.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Old 03-02-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I'm not sure what you mean.
what?
Old 03-09-12, 01:05 AM

God dangit!!!

I knew this would happen.

John Carter is only in 3D for me at my favorite theater! This is pissing me off big time!

I swear if The Avengers have no 2D options i'll be very mad! :angry:

I wrote a very angry email at Cineplex.com

here it is lol

Spoiler:
Okay this is IT! I have HAD it with the ****ing 3D you people insist on shoving down our throats!

Even if it IS a request from the studios, i really doubt you only get sent the 3D prints of the movies!

I don't mind 3D when done right, when a movie is meant for 3D and SHOT in 3D such as Avatar, Transformers 3 etc. But really is it so hard to give the consumer the ****ing CHOICE in which format they want to see the movie in?

And theaters chains and studios wonder why people keep going to the movies less and less. Well the lack of 2D options is definitely one of them! Why would i go out of my way to see a movie i want to see in a format i don't like surrounded by texting/talking idiots when i can just wait for the 2D blu-ray in 4 months?

So let's recap here the movies recently that came out with NO 2D option

Lorax
Ghost Rider 2
Journey 2
Underworld Awakening

And the biggest middle finger of them all? JOHN CARTER!

A big summer-looking blockbuster with only 2D options?! Are you ****ing kidding me? You cannot spare a few 2D screens?

I swear if The Avengers has no 2D option when it comes out in May i'll be very mad!

And it's weird because last summer when they were TONS of 3D movies playing at the SAME time, to my surprise there was a 2D option for pretty much all of them (Green Lantern, Harry Potter,Cars 2,Pirates 4 etc etc) so why completely turn your backs on the people that are fans of the movie going experience.

What i really don't get is WHY NOT have a 2D screen? That's MORE people PAYING to see a movie. it's a win win in my book!

I was really looking forward to seeing John Carter on the big screen and now i'm not so sure anymore.

And yes i DID look for 2D screens elsewhere in Montreal and yes there are some but why would i have to go out of way and away from my favorite theater that i have been going to for the past 15 years ?(Scotia Bank Theater in downtown Montreal)
Old 03-09-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

God dangit!!!

John Carter is only in 3D for me at my favorite theater! This is pissing me off big time!

here it is lol

Spoiler:
Okay this is IT! I have HAD it with the ****ing 3D you people insist on shoving down our throats!

Even if it IS a request from the studios, i really doubt you only get sent the 3D prints of the movies!

I don't mind 3D when done right, when a movie is meant for 3D and SHOT in 3D such as Avatar, Transformers 3 etc. But really is it so hard to give the consumer the ****ing CHOICE in which format they want to see the movie in?

And theaters chains and studios wonder why people keep going to the movies less and less. Well the lack of 2D options is definitely one of them! Why would i go out of my way to see a movie i want to see in a format i don't like surrounded by texting/talking idiots when i can just wait for the 2D blu-ray in 4 months?

Lorax
Ghost Rider 2
Journey 2
Underworld Awakening

A big summer-looking blockbuster with only 2D options?! Are you ****ing kidding me? You cannot spare a few 2D screens?

I swear if The Avengers has no 2D option when it comes out in May i'll be very mad!

And it's weird because last summer when they were TONS of 3D movies playing at the SAME time, to my surprise there was a 2D option for pretty much all of them (Green Lantern, Harry Potter,Cars 2,Pirates 4 etc etc) so why completely turn your backs on the people that are fans of the movie going experience.

What i really don't get is WHY NOT have a 2D screen? That's MORE people PAYING to see a movie. it's a win win in my book!

I was really looking forward to seeing John Carter on the big screen and now i'm not so sure anymore.

And yes i DID look for 2D screens elsewhere in Montreal and yes there are some but why would i have to go out of way and away from my favorite theater that i have been going to for the past 15 years ?(Scotia Bank Theater in downtown Montreal)
FYI.. I read a lot of CS feedback and instinctually stopped reading after the first sentence. Forum rules do not allow me to analyze further.
Old 03-09-12, 09:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I mentioned this in the John Carter thread - but the Uptown theater here in DC is showing both the 3D and the 2D editions - it's a first
Old 03-09-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

last summer all the theaters stopped charging extra for 3d....then they stopped showing titles in 3d except huge 3d releases. with big releases they still usually have the 3d option briefly.

sucks because i don't normally like seeing movies in 3d but actually wanted to see john carter in 3d
Old 03-09-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God dangit!!!

here it is lol

Spoiler:

Lorax
Ghost Rider 2
Journey 2
Underworld Awakening

You seem like a very angry person, and were I in their shoes, I would have stopped reading your complaint after the first time you cursed at me.
Old 03-09-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

God dangit!!!

here it is lol

Spoiler:

Lorax
Ghost Rider 2
Journey 2
Underworld Awakening

This letter would not be taken seriously. You do know you were writing to a global company and not your high school Facebook page.
Old 03-09-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

God dangit!!!

here it is lol

Spoiler:

Lorax
Ghost Rider 2
Journey 2
Underworld Awakening

I think you should boycott all 3-D movies that have no 2-D options.
And then start an on-line petition to support such a boycott.
That'll show 'em.
Old 03-09-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Lorax
Ghost Rider 2
Journey 2
Underworld Awakening

And yes i DID look for 2D screens elsewhere in Montreal and yes there are some but why would i have to go out of way and away from my favorite theater that i have been going to for the past 15 years ?(Scotia Bank Theater in downtown Montreal
Let's see: profanity, CAPS, piss-poor grammar, and an overbearing sense of self-entitlement...

I'm sure your lamentations will get to the very top of their must-fix list.
Old 03-09-12, 02:30 PM

LOL, it’s funny because i NEVER swear in complaints to companies, except this time I thought it was justified because it’s not the first time I’ve emailed them about the same subject. And no I’m not an angry person at all. I was just in a pissy mood last night after seeing John Carter’s screens in my area. I’m actually very calm!

My girlfriend always complains that I’m too passive and I always let people walk all over me and that I’m too nice heh. So yeah I guess this email was out of character for me. As for the grammar? Can I blame it on my frenchness? :P

And I know they won’t take it seriously, I just had to vent to someone OTHER than my facebook friends.
Old 03-10-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know it can be frustrating to people when no 2D option is available, but if I want to see a movie and it's only offered in 3D, I suck it up and go 3D.... in the case of a movie like John Carter, they actually did a pretty great job on the conversion.
Old 03-10-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure, the extra money aspect is annoying. For me, the main issue is that 3D is an inferior movie-going experience. As much as I really love watching movies in theaters, watching something 2D on blu ray is superior to 3D in the theater.