Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantom Menace to be released in 3D Next Spring

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Phantom Menace to be released in 3D Next Spring

Old 01-28-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace...in 3-D for 2012

Disney has dropped plans to release Episodes II and III in 3D. They want to concentrate on the reboot...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/excl...n-new-trilogy/
Old 01-28-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Smart move, though I think they'd be foolish not to do a limited reissue of the OT in the months leading up to Episode VII.

TPM conversion was a joke (yeah, I'm one of the assholes who paid $8 to see it). With the money and resources available to Lucasfilm, you'd think they could achieve something on par with Cameron's impressive work on Titanic 3D. Instead, the whole conversion was pathetic. Poor detail... just a flat, dark mess. I couldn't help but feel the bearded one had gotten one over on me again.
Old 01-28-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

We're getting a reboot now? Seems like that would conflict with the sequels.
Old 01-28-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
We're getting a reboot now? Seems like that would conflict with the sequels.
The new movie will be a sequel, though I expect it to be set so far in time from the events in Return Of The Jedi, that it might as well be a reboot.

I doubt Disney ever bothers releasing those other movies in 3D now. They have to build up the value of the new franchise.
Old 01-29-13, 03:47 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Disney has dropped plans to release Episodes II and III in 3D. They want to concentrate on the reboot...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/excl...n-new-trilogy/
Disappointing. I had a great time in TPM 3D, and was looking forward to Episodes II & III.
Old 01-29-13, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The new movie will be a sequel, though I expect it to be set so far in time from the events in Return Of The Jedi, that it might as well be a reboot.

I doubt Disney ever bothers releasing those other movies in 3D now. They have to build up the value of the new franchise.
Because Disney is above squeezing a couple of bucks out of a film by shamelessly re-releasing it in 3D, right?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JTZd2l8qBOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6tCxnHCqqxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/19WYF6k_D34?list=SPBCDFBD00EEA21EAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oops, my bad.
Old 01-29-13, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

The difference is those movies don't remind people how shitty the franchise got. You'll notice WB isn't falling over themselves to release Superman 3-4 before Man of Steel comes out either.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 01-29-13 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Because Disney is above squeezing a couple of bucks out of a film by shamelessly re-releasing it in 3D, right?
I think they realize after the financial failures of Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo 3D that audiences aren't going to show up in droves and fork over $12 to see a movie they can go home and watch on DVD or blu-ray. Remember, Pixar is still the major jewel in the Disney crown. If they can't turn a profit rereleasing those, they probably feel no other movie is worth the trouble at this stage. They finally realized that the success of The Lion King 3D was a fluke, as Disney already cancelled The Little Mermaid and any other conversion jobs they had in the pipeline
Old 01-29-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

An all digital animated film conversion to 3D is much better, easier and probably cheaper than those with live elements. So I would think those re-releases made a small amount of profit. Not to mention it helps sell the upcoming Monsters University and Finding Nemo sequel.
Old 01-29-13, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
An all digital animated film conversion to 3D is much better, easier and probably cheaper than those with live elements. So I would think those re-releases made a small amount of profit. Not to mention it helps sell the upcoming Monsters University and Finding Nemo sequel.
Finding Nemo probably came out ok with it's Blu-ray release, Monsters Inc is probably not going to. It's already on Blu-ray, and the last time this was tried, the 3D version of Beauty and the Beast stumbled in theaters and with the 3D BD release.

Obviously, they've made tons of money on these previously. But if you count the money put into the conversions and marketing (the killer financial aspect) it's borderline on the re-releases.

fitprod
Old 01-29-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

But, IIRC, conversion of an all digital format is cheaper (less man power) than a film with elements of live action. I may be wrong, but it's not as extensive a conversion process.

And take into account that those films will also roll into the marketing for the sequels/home entertainment (at least for Monsters University this June... Finding Nemo 2 is 3 years away), they made a small bit of coin. Finding Nemo 3D and Monsters, Inc 3D made around $80M for the short time in domestic theaters.
Old 01-29-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This.

Everyone is associating Star Wars with Disney now, and they don't want any association with those prequels for the time being. If you read between the lines here, virtually every move by Disney regarding Star Wars has been exactly what "die hard" fans have been hoping for. I wouldn't be surprised if they even had a say in Kathleen Kennedy taking the reigns of Lucasfilm. I'm sure George wanted to promote his buddy Rick McCallum (his subsquent "retirement" from Lucasfilm indicates some sour grapes there, IMHO).
Old 01-29-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I seriously think you guys are over thinking that they are avoiding it because of quality of those films. Star Tours was updated to incorporate a large amount of prequel material and it's not like they're pulling out that footage to distance themselves from it.

This isn't some sort of Little Mermaid 2 or the vast amount of other made for dvd sequel material. They still crank out Darth Maul at the Jedi Academy and while most of us hate the prequels, a lot of kids eat that shit up. I know my six year old nephew just loves the prequels and have come across a lot more who are more accepting than we were.
Old 01-29-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I seriously think you guys are over thinking that they are avoiding it because of quality of those films. Star Tours was updated to incorporate a large amount of prequel material and it's not like they're pulling out that footage to distance themselves from it.
Star Tours was in collaboration with Lucas. Also it's only a few minutes long in 2 cities in the entire country. Hardly worth using in a OT v. PT debate.
Old 01-30-13, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Stating that "Yeah, Disney's trying to protect the brand so they're burying anything related the prequel trilogy" seems wrong considering there's the Clone Wars cartoon on the air that is moving from Cartoon Network to Disney's schedule next season - But hey, they clearly don't want any association with the prequels in keeping the brand in the public's eye.
Old 01-30-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The clone wars cartoons are not the shitty prequels though.
Old 01-30-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

Disney, Lucas and every other producer / distributor will do whatever it takes to make money. There is clearly no money to be made by converting the OT and remaining PT to 3D... plain and simple. This is NOT an executive decision to give diehard fans what they want, this is a decision to not lose money.
Old 01-30-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Since were talking about Phantom Menace....

Terence Stamp is one of our age's great actors. The guy has been everyone from Dracula to General Zod, and been in everything from Young Guns to Halo 3 (he was the Prophet of Truth).

One of his most notable roles in recent decades, though, was as Supreme Chancellor Valorum in Star Wars: Episode I. Meaning he got to work with George Lucas. And now tell the world how awful that was.

"We didn't get on at all", Stamp told Empire magazine. "I didn't feel he was a director of actors, he was more interested in stuff and effects."

"He didn't interest me and I wouldn't think I interested him."

Perhaps the most interesting/hilarious part of the interview, though, is where Stamp says why he wanted to do the movie in the first place: the chance to work with Natalie Portman, taken from an IGN piece describing the article:

So why did Stamp want to do the movie in the first place? Well, he wanted to meet Natalie Portman, but when he turned up for his first scene with the young actress, she was nowhere in sight. Stamp asked Lucas as to her whereabouts, the director replied, "That's Natalie", pointing to a piece of paper on the wall.

Stamp summarised the experience quite pithily: "It was just boring."
Old 01-30-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
They finally realized that the success of The Lion King 3D was a fluke, as Disney already cancelled The Little Mermaid and any other conversion jobs they had in the pipeline

While I don't need everything in 3D, I was looking forward to Aladdin as I could see it greatly benefitting from the format.

There was good article on CNN about how the old SW sequels were made in the days before the internet. It claimed that had this been around in those days and Irvin Kershner was announced as the director (who had just been a hired gun for the most part), everyone would have attacked it viciously. Probably true.
Old 01-30-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Also, I've been on the updated Star Tours and am kind of confused as to where it is supposed to fall in the storyline, it is meant to fit at all.
Old 01-31-13, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V
Disney, Lucas and every other producer / distributor will do whatever it takes to make money. There is clearly no money to be made by converting the OT and remaining PT to 3D... plain and simple. This is NOT an executive decision to give diehard fans what they want, this is a decision to not lose money.

Exactly. It's not Disney trying to protect its brand. Oh, they're going to squeeze every last dollar they can out of it. What they aren't going to do is squeeze lemons that wont give juice. The prequels in 3D didn't make money. That's why they're not doing them. Not because they are ashamed of them. As is clear of the prequel stuff that does make money. Maul, Clone Wars and the designs of Anakin, Obi and whoever else on lunch boxes.
Old 01-31-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

What they aren't going to do is squeeze lemons that wont give juice.
My mom always said when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. So, they better try fucking harder or my mom's a liar and I'm going to have to question my whole existence.
Old 01-31-13, 10:03 AM
Banned

My stepson loves these prequels. And shuns the original trilogy. I am reminded everytime he watches them of what cinematic diarrhea they are. Now he walks around quoting Jar Jar Binks, and it makes my piss boil. They can take their 3-D conversions and fuck them hard; there's no market for this shit. Finding Nemo, yes. Monsters, Inc., yes. Great films. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith? Jesus Mary and Joseph, what colossal fucking balls of filthy, corn-ridden excrement.
Old 01-31-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorseseLovesU
My stepson loves these prequels. And shuns the original trilogy. I am reminded everytime he watches them of what cinematic diarrhea they are. Now he walks around quoting Jar Jar Binks, and it makes my piss boil. They can take their 3-D conversions and fuck them hard; there's no market for this shit. Finding Nemo, yes. Monsters, Inc., yes. Great films. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith? Jesus Mary and Joseph, what colossal fucking balls of filthy, corn-ridden excrement.
Soooo, you're saying you didn't care for them?

I took my kids to see PM 3D... they were 9 and 4 at the time. I thought it would be a great way to introduce them to the SW universe. They didn't care. My next move is to watch the OT blu-rays on our home theater. If that doesn't take, I give up.
Old 01-31-13, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob V
Soooo, you're saying you didn't care for them?

I took my kids to see PM 3D... they were 9 and 4 at the time. I thought it would be a great way to introduce them to the SW universe. They didn't care. My next move is to watch the OT blu-rays on our home theater. If that doesn't take, I give up.
They were aight.