Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantom Menace to be released in 3D Next Spring

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Phantom Menace to be released in 3D Next Spring

Old 02-09-12, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace...in 3-D for 2012

Originally Posted by Mazje
Apparently, no changes. And Greedo always shot first. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...terview-288523
I thought you were being sarcastic - then I read the interview. Dear God, what has happened to this man? Has ever even seen the original version of Star Wars?
Old 02-09-12, 10:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Apparently, no changes. And Greedo always shot first. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...terview-288523
Jesus Christ, George, stick to your fucking guns. Don't pull this revisionist history crap.

And I also hope my fellow prequel haters stick to their guns. I will not be seeing this. In fact, I've stopped buying anything with Star Wars licensing, Blu-rays, video games, toys, Pez dispensers, you name it. I'm done giving Lucas my money. That's the most I can do as a consumer.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-10-12 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-09-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Way to show the man, Supermallet! Fight the power!
Old 02-09-12, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Jesus Christ, George, stick to your fucking guns. Don't pull this revisionist history crap.

And I also hope my fellow prequel haters stick to their guns. I will not be seeing this. In fact, I've stopped buying anything with Star Wars licensing, including video games. I'm done giving Lucas my money. That's the most I can do as a consumer.
That's me since 2005, although I did buy the 2006 dvds last summer once I realized they really were the last preservation of the UOT.

No single group of people is as willing to put up with as much garbage as SW apologists are. Lucas has been telling fans to screw themselves for years and they keep giving him money. Sad.
Old 02-09-12, 11:00 PM
Suspended

So Hans head always did that little stupid move? FUCK!!!!
Old 02-10-12, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Just got back from a midnight screening.

Complete fucking waste. It didn't even look 3D. The depth just wasn't there. I was expecting some sort of motion sickness during the Pod Race or the Droid ship battle. Not a damn thing. Also, the effects look dated and the Generic Mace Windu at the end really sticks out. After all these years George can't even fix that.

I would say the only plus was getting to watch the film in digital this time around.

Spoiler Alert
Spoiler:
Darth Maul dies at the end
Old 02-10-12, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

So how was it doing business-wise? I've laughed at the billboards I've seen that say "See it on the big screen!" WHAT big screen? There aren't any of those left around here!
Old 02-10-12, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So how was it doing business-wise? I've laughed at the billboards I've seen that say "See it on the big screen!" WHAT big screen? There aren't any of those left around here!
Theater was about 85% full with mostly obnoxious teenage, noisey fucks with their smartphones. There was also some asshole reading the opening crawl aloud. Very different from the midnight crowd I experienced back '99.

God I wish there was an Arclight in Houston.
Old 02-10-12, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Spoiler Alert
Spoiler:
Darth Maul dies at the end
No, he's alive lol

That’s right. As unlikely as it may seem, Darth Maul, the glowering Sith warrior who fell to Obi-Wan Kenobi’s blade at the end of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace actually survived being cut in half and will return to George Lucas’s still unfolding space saga on Cartoon Network’s Star Wars: The Clone Wars (read our recaps here!) in spring 2012.

With his red-and-black tattooed face, Bronson-esque stoicism, Dervish-like mixed martial-arts moves (courtesy of Ray Park), and legendary double-bladed lightsaber—the coolest birthday present for 10-year-old boys in the summer of 1999—Maul was easily the most striking character in The Phantom Menace. (TPM is due to be released in theaters with a 3-D facelift February 10, 2012). And he only had three lines in the movie! Maul was a blunt instrument, a weapon of pure aggression to carry out the bidding of ūber Sith Lord Darth Sidious (a.k.a the future Emperor Palpatine), when he wasn’t yet ready to emerge from the shadows. Think of Maul like the Star Wars equivalent of Daniel Craig’s Bond. Only, did we mention he had a frickin’ double-bladed lightsaber?

When he was vivisected courtesy of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Maul immediately took his place among pop culture figures who’d also been cut in half: Bishop in Aliens, Quint in Jaws, Tony Goldwyn in Ghost, the Black Dahlia. Needless to say, we never expected to see him again, right?

Wrong! Last January a Clone Wars arc featuring a relative of Maul’s, the duped, sympathetic Nightbrother of Dathomir Savage Opress teased a hazy image of Maul in a crystal ball. Did this mean the former Sith Warrior was still alive? Indeed, and EW’s got an exclusive video first look at Maul’s animated form. Take a walk on the Dark Side and check it out after the break:

“I found it funny in The Phantom Menace when Darth Maul got cut in half,” Clone Wars supervising director Dave Filoni says. “I thought George was definitively saying to the fans, ‘There’s no way this character is coming back. This is not a Boba Fett/Sarlacc Pit situation where, because of fan love, Boba gets out of that thing any number of ways.’ Fast-forward ten-years, and I’m the one to bring Maul back.”
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/12/st...rs-darth-maul/
Old 02-10-12, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Mr. Lucas responded to all the fans who don't like the changes to the OOT versions:

"Older Star Wars fans, I once thought like you did towards the OOT versions. You don't know the power of CGI and the ability to tamper with my movies because I am the only director in Hollywood who has complete rights to them! I must obey my financial advisors and keep the gravy train running by saying that every movie is a work in progress!"

Old 02-10-12, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorgan
I thought you were being sarcastic - then I read the interview. Dear God, what has happened to this man? Has ever even seen the original version of Star Wars?
Holy crap. Dude is delusional.
Old 02-10-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

The problem isn't that Lucas is making changes; the problem is that he's withholding the unaltered versions.

Jesus Christ, he mentions Blade Runner in the interview. What's the difference between Blade Runner and Star Wars? I have FIVE FUCKING VERSIONS OF THAT MOVIE ON BLU-RAY.
Old 02-10-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

the Generic Mace Windu at the end really sticks out.
You mean Sam Jackson in general or an issue with a particular scene. I haven't seen Episode I in years.
Old 02-10-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You mean Sam Jackson in general or an issue with a particular scene. I haven't seen Episode I in years.
I mean a black dude that is playing Mace Windu and is not Sam Jackson. I've always had an issue with that scene towards the end, but it really stuck out during last night's screening.
Old 02-10-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He truely is a sad strange little man. He can't see that he is really the only one doing this? It really is too bad that his career wasn't more like Speilberg. If he was more successful he would not be constantly tinkering with his only child.
Old 02-10-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm still taking my kids to see it tonight. Crappy movie or not, I think it's the perfect opportunity to involve them in something I grew up with and loved.
Old 02-10-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm still taking my kids to see it tonight. Crappy movie or not, I think it's the perfect opportunity to involve them in something I grew up with and loved.
You grew up with and love The Phantom Menace?
Old 02-10-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Wait til Episode IV
Old 02-10-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I mean a black dude that is playing Mace Windu and is not Sam Jackson. I've always had an issue with that scene towards the end, but it really stuck out during last night's screening.
During what part of the movie does he appear? I think I have the DVD proping up a wobbly chair somewhere in my house.
Old 02-10-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never understood the point of that. Why do we even need to see Mace Windu there? He could have just showed up at the Funeral Pyre scene later and nobody would think anything of it. Mind boggling. I guess you could argue that it's another bald black Jedi exiting the ship who we never see again.
Old 02-10-12, 09:31 AM

Theater was about 85% full with mostly obnoxious teenage, noisey fucks with their smartphones. There was also some asshole reading the opening crawl aloud. Very different from the midnight crowd I experienced back '99.

God I wish there was an Arclight in Houston.

I seen this movie all by myself, did not have that issue (back in 99). I have to say maybe it where I live but I really do not have the issue everyone else talks about. Given that Theaters wonder why they are losing business.
Old 02-10-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by George Lucas
All art is technology and it improves every year. Whether it’s on the stage or in music or in painting, there are technological answers that happen, and because movies are so technological, the advances become more obvious.
He doesn't have a fucking clue.
Old 02-10-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

And I also hope my fellow prequel haters stick to their guns. I will not be seeing this. In fact, I've stopped buying anything with Star Wars licensing, Blu-rays, video games, toys, Pez dispensers, you name it. I'm done giving Lucas my money. That's the most I can do as a consumer.
Not me brother. Lucas greased my cornhole real good this past fall when he somehow found a way to sell me movies I've bought at least five different times at least. He didn't even buy me dinner.
Old 02-10-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
During what part of the movie does he appear? I think I have the DVD proping up a wobbly chair somewhere in my house.
It's right at the end where the Republic ship carrying Palpatine lands (just before Yoda/Obiwan scene).

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I never understood the point of that. Why do we even need to see Mace Windu there? He could have just showed up at the Funeral Pyre scene later and nobody would think anything of it. Mind boggling. I guess you could argue that it's another bald black Jedi exiting the ship who we never see again.
True. Another black Jedi that looks like Windu and has a moustache.
Old 02-10-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I remember seeing a preview for this in 3D with Hugo and not noticing a damn bit of difference. Looks like I was right.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.