Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

the FACTUAL NON r1 Kill Bill DVD thread...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

the FACTUAL NON r1 Kill Bill DVD thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Scott, yesasia is a rip off. they took advantage of the collectors market once the other sites were all sold out. I'm not saying this is a total waste, just that it was a bit of a let down for me.
Better than what HMV did.
Old 04-19-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Toss in Vol 2 when it comes out and the box will be in full use
But....what if you want to buy the inevitable Japanese box set of Vol 2? Then you are going to have a whole other box to fill up.
Old 04-19-04, 06:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
no more box sets for me..i will just get the regular R2 Vol. 2 version and that be that, then have all 4 versions!
Old 04-19-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by matome
[B
I'll have to double check next time I see it, but I could've sworn I saw the shot of the guy getting slashed from the upper level and falling down onto the table in color. [/B]
On the R1 it doesn't go back to color until she's back upstairs in the room fighting the last of the Crazy 88's. It turns back to color right before the restaurant owner turns off the lights.
Old 04-19-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but I was referring to Jack's note about the end credits of Vol 2 where they show some clips of the Blue Leaves fight in color where they were b&w in the U.S. Vol 1.
Old 04-19-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody gonna hang the T-shirt up on their wall??? I'm thinking of doing that cause it's sure the hell not gonna fit me!
Old 04-19-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's actually a pretty good idea!
Old 04-19-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by cultshock
But....what if you want to buy the inevitable Japanese box set of Vol 2? Then you are going to have a whole other box to fill up.
well then.. I would.. .uh.... hmmm. errrr... (Change to B&W) :Head explodes, blood gushes everywhere, body slumps to the floor: (change back to color)

Old 04-19-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed there is an extra title card at the beginning of the movie:

"This film is dedicated to master filmmaker Kinji Hukasaku 1930-2003"

OK, I'm off to watch the whole thing now!
Old 04-19-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I noticed there is an extra title card at the beginning of the movie:

"This film is dedicated to master filmmaker Kinji Hukasaku 1930-2003"

OK, I'm off to watch the whole thing now!
Don't you mean Kinji Fukasaku, of Battle Royale and Yakuza Papers fame? He died of prostate cancer in 2003.
Old 04-20-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, that was a typo on my part.

TEXT SPOILERS AHEAD

Here are my notes on the differences of the two discs. First off the runtime on the R1 disc is 1:50:36 and the R2 is 1:51:39, so we have an extra minute of footage in there.

On the R1 disc I noticed the layer change pause in the bathroom stall when the Bride peeks out to see Sofie. On the R2 disc, I have no idea where the change was since I didn't notice a pause anywhere.

The subtitles (when turned on manually) are always in the movie frame and not on the bars like the R1's are. However, they're just white now and don't have any distinction for Gogo and Sofie's subtitles like the original and R1 had. Not placed either, always centered. I like the R1's better.

I liked the menus on the R1 much better. The R2 has a cool intro but then begins to show scenes that give away too much IMO.

As for the differences that I could spot:

a) The Klingon quote at the beginning is replaced with a dedication title to Kinji Fukasaku

b) The first thing I immediately noticed caused me to run and check my R1 disc in parallel. It's a really wacky editing change that I can't figure out. When The Bride and Vernita first walking into the kitchen with the voiceover it's a ceiling-down shot. In the R1 it stays that way until Vernita hands the towel to The Bride and we go to a ground level shot. However on the R2 we get a cut to a closeup of the coffee cups being poured into then a ground level shot of the Bride asking for towels and Vernita going to the sink and picking them up. The dialogue is exactly the same so I have no idea what went on there.

R1

R2

c) In the anime section the guy who gets his arm snapped and head crushed into the wall by O-ren's dad, actually gets his head smashed twice with a nice closeup of it.

d) while O-ren is stabbing Matsumuto on the bed this is extended as she also says look at my nose, mouth, chin and all the while we get nice little shots of him gargling and the sword slowly moving up his chest. The far shot of her sitting on top of him is elongated and then we get a shot of him sliced open.

e) When GoGo slices open the guy at the bar, the camera lingers on the intestines on the floor instead of quickly cutting away.

f) At the House of Blue Leaves when the chick from O-ren's original crew gets stabbed in the chest at the bottom of the stairs we get a closeup shot of her gargling then spurting.

g) as for the big fight I noticed quite a few additions to this so I had to stop my parallel run. I would say a good chunk of the restored footage was added here. There's also a quick reaction shot of Sofie again.

h) The camera click for the return to color scene in R1 is not sounded here and we get a quick shot of the Bride standing in defensive position right before the light switch is thrown on.

i) The camera doesn't cut back to Sofie in the hospital when the Bride yells "Give me your other arm!" and then she cuts it off at the elbow.

That's about alll the changes that I could find. I didn't want to post too many pictures in case of spoilers. Anyway, I'm certainly glad to have the R2 version now, since it gives the movie a little more spice. Not that I won't throw in the R1 once in a while, since I did find the B&W fight to be quite cool in it's own way.

Last edited by matome; 04-20-04 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by flashburn
Better than what HMV did.
Absolutely not! HMV changed shipping price just as it said on their website. The shipping qoute was an estimate and it was very likely to increase.
YesAsia charged $100 then $150 and then $200 for the box alone!
Old 04-20-04, 03:22 AM

Good eye, matome!!!

For those disappointed in not getting the rider suit, I just want to point out that the rider suit is not as "exclusive" as the box set as the rider suit is the pre-order special. Supposedly anyone who pre-ordered the regular edition OR the gift set gets one. We all know that pretty much all the gift sets were gone before the release date and much more of the regular edition were pre-ordered due to its lower price. Therefore, the number of the rider suits out there should be much more than 30,000. It is just that we are not in Japan to get them in stores; otherwise they should be everywhere.
Old 04-20-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gunde
Absolutely not! HMV changed shipping price just as it said on their website. The shipping qoute was an estimate and it was very likely to increase.
YesAsia charged $100 then $150 and then $200 for the box alone!
But, it was your choice to buy at their price, BEFORE you purchased the item. Here you buy from HMV and the day it is supposed to ship they email you "Oh, we need to triple the cost of shipping on you". They knew full well people would, since they wanted the rider suit, and to be assured a copy.
Old 04-20-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Matome, someone actually posting what this forum was actually made for.
Old 04-20-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, thanks for the braekdown matome! How the hell did you notice that Vernita change? Anyway, it's good to know. I'd love to see some screenshots from the anime, since I won't get mine probably till next month .
Old 04-20-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
great post matome
Old 04-20-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep, that was a typo on my part.

TEXT SPOILERS AHEAD

Here are my notes on the differences of the two discs. First off the runtime on the R1 disc is 1:50:36 and the R2 is 1:51:39, so we have an extra minute of footage in there.

On the R1 disc I noticed the layer change pause in the bathroom stall when the Bride peeks out to see Sofie. On the R2 disc, I have no idea where the change was since I didn't notice a pause anywhere.

The subtitles (when turned on manually) are always in the movie frame and not on the bars like the R1's are. However, they're just white now and don't have any distinction for Gogo and Sofie's subtitles like the original and R1 had. Not placed either, always centered. I like the R1's better.

I liked the menus on the R1 much better. The R2 has a cool intro but then begins to show scenes that give away too much IMO.

As for the differences that I could spot:

a) The Klingon quote at the beginning is replaced with a dedication title to Kinji Fukasaku

b) The first thing I immediately noticed caused me to run and check my R1 disc in parallel. It's a really wacky editing change that I can't figure out. When The Bride and Vernita first walking into the kitchen with the voiceover it's a ceiling-down shot. In the R1 it stays that way until Vernita hands the towel to The Bride and we go to a ground level shot. However on the R2 we get a cut to a closeup of the coffee cups being poured into then a ground level shot of the Bride asking for towels and Vernita going to the sink and picking them up. The dialogue is exactly the same so I have no idea what went on there.

R1

R2

c) In the anime section the guy who gets his arm snapped and head crushed into the wall by O-ren's dad, actually gets his head smashed twice with a nice closeup of it.

d) while O-ren is stabbing Matsumuto on the bed this is extended as she also says look at my nose, mouth, chin and all the while we get nice little shots of him gargling and the sword slowly moving up his chest. The far shot of her sitting on top of him is elongated and then we get a shot of him sliced open.

e) At the House of Blue Leaves when the chick from O-ren's original crew gets stabbed in the chest at the bottom of the stairs we get a closeup shot of her gargling then spurting.

f) as for the big fight I noticed quite a few additions to this so I had to stop my parallel run. I would say a good chunk of the restored footage was added here. There's also a quick reaction shot of Sofie again.

g) The camera click for the return to color scene in R1 is not sounded here and we get a quick shot of the Bride standing in defensive position right before the light switch is thrown on.

h) The camera doesn't cut back to Sofie in the hospital when the Bride yells "Give me your other arm!" and then she cuts it off at the elbow.

That's about alll the changes that I could find. I didn't want to post too many pictures in case of spoilers. Anyway, I'm certainly glad to have the R2 version now, since it gives the movie a little more spice. Not that I won't throw in the R1 once in a while, since I did find the B&W fight to be quite cool in it's own way.
There's also the extended eyeball scene and the kid that shows up way before she gives him a spanking.

Last edited by mrhan; 04-20-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-20-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If someone is really bored, maybe you can post the chapters (or time) where we should turn the subs on for those of us who haven't seen the movie?

thanks!!
Old 04-20-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yep, like I said I noticed quite a few additions to the fight scene, but didn't want to post too many pics!

Originally posted by ianholm
Wow, thanks for the braekdown matome! How the hell did you notice that Vernita change? Anyway, it's good to know. I'd love to see some screenshots from the anime, since I won't get mine probably till next month .
I've probably seen the damn movie 20+ times so even little things tend to stand out, in this case it was the close shot of the coffee cups. Not sure what the rules are for posting the more graphic pics but here is a tame one from the head-smash anime scene for you.

Old 04-20-04, 11:56 AM

Tnx matome, exactly what I was expecting when I clicked this thread.
Old 04-20-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by badlieut
If someone is really bored, maybe you can post the chapters (or time) where we should turn the subs on for those of us who haven't seen the movie?

thanks!!
Since I'm just SOOO busy at work today...

Chapter 5 @ 0:15:00
Chapter 8 @ 0:41:10
Chapter 9-11 might as well leave it on all the way through here.
Chapter 12 @ 1:00:10 at this point you might as well leave it on since there isn't too much dialog here, but it's usually half english/half Japanese anyway, including the O-Ren fight. Even after the battles you'll have English interspersed with some French and Japanese voiceovers, so you'll be jockeying the rewind/sub buttons a lot.

Last edited by matome; 04-20-04 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 06:07 PM
Banned

Can people post more screen caps of the differences/more graphic scenes?
Old 04-20-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I'm just SOOO busy at work today...

You've done all these watching, comparing, & posting in a timely manner at work? Where on earth do you work where you have that much free time & AV equipment at your disposal?
Old 04-20-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's great being a network administrator who can lock himself in the server room as necessary. Lotsa Microsoft patches to install this week!

Originally posted by UKingdom
Can people post more screen caps of the differences/more graphic scenes?

OK, I'll work on getting a few more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.