Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Films in 4K

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek Films in 4K

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-22, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Star Trek Films in 4K

Originally Posted by stvn1974
It's not the disc, it is the player. I have the Sony X700 and it is shit. Just look up reviews on other sites. It really chokes on BD100s.
I can verify this. Mine finally drove me crazy enough that I upgraded to a Panasonic 820. Night and day difference, as far as playback problems go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fielding Mellish:
BackStJoe (12-01-22), John Pannozzi (12-01-22)
Old 11-28-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Where's the best place to get the 4K singles of ST V and VI to make sure I get a slipcover? eBay ?
Old 11-29-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I can verify this. Mine finally drove me crazy enough that I upgraded to a Panasonic 820. Night and day difference, as far as playback problems go.
Urgh!

One of the reasons I haven't jumped on 4k yet is reports of so many discs not playing on this player or that player with all roads seemingly leading to this Panasonic being the only player out there that is consistently without lockups on films other players freeze on. It's mind boggling how, in 2022, SONY or LG haven't updated their players to handle this issue and are still selling the others that are problematic.

Simply put, if I purchase a 4k disc like Star Trek I expect it to play in my 4k player.

While I am on this rant, vertical banding on 4k TVs is also a huge deterrent for me and, I see, still is prevalent (though seemingly less so in OLEDS). I've purchased two 4ks to return them because of this as, well, once I see it I can' unsee it. Again, you'd think we'd have cleared this shit up by this point.

Anyway, rant over. Beam me up, Scotty.
Old 11-29-22, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 611 Likes on 449 Posts

I likewise haven't embraced 4K, though mainly because I find Blu-ray to be perfectly fine, and (gasp – gawd forbid!) even DVD to get the job done when it comes to smaller indie films, DTV stuff and a LOT of sign-outs from my local library that save me tons of money over physical or streaming! But I didn't even know about these compatibility and banding issues until right now! I figured 4K was just one of those things that must've been perfect right out of the gate in terms of this kind of stuff. I do own some 4K titles, but to date all were purchased to get the 3D discs that were packaged with them (and unavailable elsewhere). I did pick up a few 4K discs here and there in the Black Friday sales last weekend, but strictly only if they contained the Blu-ray version that I'll actually watch. One of the biggest such purchases was the STAR TREK 6-film 4K + Blu-ray collection for $61 US. Seems to be a reasonably definitive set from most reports, and a pretty fair price for (I think) 15 discs, even if half will probably never be watched.
Old 11-29-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

The 4k of Star Trek TMP looks pretty great. I have a pretty basic Sony player and have had no problems with playback, though my 4k disc collection is pretty small.

The movie is also a great example of how to not Lucas-up a movie with digital tinkering. The improved effects feel seamless, and have made me rethink getting the remastered TOS, for some reason upgrading the effects on that series seemed a bridge too far, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 11-29-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

One difference between the upgraded Star Wars OT and Star Trek TOS is that the original versions of TOS are still available on the blu-rays, and were released on two separate DVD runs, so they're still released and still available in good quality.

I can personally justify the upgraded effects on TOS because the old special effects don't look good at all in HD; it really brings out the limitations on the 1960s special effects technology and tv budget. And there's also the matter that so many are recycled stock shots that binging them can be kind of distracting when you see same planets and shots of the ship over and over again.

I also appreciate things like having more shots of the old school Romulan Bird of Prey and getting to see the Klingon D7s before the third season.

That said, the new effects shots look kind of cheap and overly CGI; they could use some dirtying up, even though I think they intentionally made them that way to more seamlessly fit in with the bright 1960s aesthetic of the live action footage.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (11-29-22)
Old 11-30-22, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It's not the disc, it is the player. I have the Sony X700 and it is shit. Just look up reviews on other sites. It really chokes on BD100s.
I've had my x700 for over a year. The only time I've had playback problems has been due to a fingerprint. Once cleaned, it's fine. And I had many BD100s. The other forum has a thread that lists them. I guess I got lucky or something else is going on.
BackStJoe (12-01-22)
Old 11-30-22, 10:34 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
(Sigh)

I upgraded my system the last few months with a Sony UBP-X700M and an LG C2 OLED.
Sat down to watch Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Theatrical) and the disc locked up twice; when Valeris goes to Spock’s quarters, and later when they confront Valeris in sickbay.

Anyone else have an issue with this disc?
Hmm, sounds like sabotage...
BackStJoe (12-01-22)
Old 11-30-22, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Exact same thing I did.
Old 12-01-22, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

And Panasonic ain't stupid, either. This play jumped $100 in price since May (though inflation perhaps?) and really, I've never seen the thing lower then $485 Canadian unlike the other players by Sony and LG that are sometimes half that price but...the rub is you are rolling the dice on if they will have the disc freeze issue. Since new players, unlike new TVs, aren't updated/made each year it looks like, for now, that's something we're stuck with. Same goes for the banding issue. I tried the so-called "panel lottery" twice and lost. Incidentally, when I bought my second vertical banded 4k tv it was with a Sony player and the player locked up on three of the five discs I bought. That was two years ago and I have been waiting since.

Though I haven't made the jump yet due to ongoing issues with TVs and Players, the one thing I WILL say for 4k is that it is getting studios to go back and restore films for the format that often leads to a trickle down better transfer for blu-ray. For example, A Christmas Story. While I am sure not as good as the 4k, the blu-ray looks so much better then my old one that I bit on the 4k. There's lots of examples of this when the new transfer is included though, alas, not always. Gremlins 4k I am looking at you!!!!
John Pannozzi (12-02-22)
Old 12-01-22, 07:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

So a little update…looking up issues with the Sony player someone recommended turning off the setting to allow the disc to connect to the internet. I think it’s a legacy feature for BD-Live?
Anyone, turned it off, checked the two problem scenes and no lock-up! So I’m hoping that was the main problem, and I’ll have to make time for another 4K disc.
The following 2 users liked this post by BackStJoe:
John Pannozzi (12-02-22), ViewAskewbian (12-01-22)
Old 12-01-22, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by story
Hmm, sounds like sabotage...
You win all the tribbles.
The following 3 users liked this post by BackStJoe:
John Pannozzi (12-02-22), PhantomStranger (12-04-22), story (12-03-22)
Old 01-18-23, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

The Next Generation collection is expected to come out April 4th

The following 4 users liked this post by DJariya:
milo bloom (01-20-23), Shooba (01-19-23), TheBang (01-19-23), Why So Blu? (01-18-23)
Old 01-20-23, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I never got any of them on Blu (except that single release of TWOK I got for my birthday) but I have two sets of the first ten movie on DVD (the original 2 disc sets and then the two white and blue box sets). So I’m jumping straight to 4K now. I have the 4 movie set of 1-4, I have the single of 5 and will get 6 soon. And also the big TMP 4K set.

My point is: of course I’ll be buying this.

Last edited by milo bloom; 01-20-23 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I never liked the TNG movies enough to buy. I saw them in theaters. As for movies, the OG movies or the Kelvin are the ones I'll own.
Old 01-23-23, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I love all three seasons of Star Trek TOS, the six original crew films and all seven seasons of STNG. I liked First Contact when I saw it but don't really care for the other three. I am not sure if I will just get First Contact and skip the rest or not bother with any of them.
Old 01-24-23, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I like Generations because the Kirk storyline and cameos by some of the OG crew but never was a fan of the other movies either. I will probably pick up the single issue of Generations once I pick up the other OG ST movies on 4K and pass on these. I can always easily stream the NG movies if I want to see them.

That reminds me...one of these days I will start my NG TV Blu-ray boxset I bought forever ago...as soon as they announce the 4K version.
Old 01-24-23, 11:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
That reminds me...one of these days I will start my NG TV Blu-ray boxset I bought forever ago
I just started watching TNG in HD a few weeks ago and I'm about 7 episodes in. They did a really great job with the transfer and the show completely holds up.
Spiderbite (01-25-23)
Old 01-24-23, 02:53 PM

I'll be picking them all up because there is something good in each...but I'd say:

Generations - the worst Trek film until Beyond came along (yes, it's lower than The Final Frontier in my eyes) but there are good moments.
First Contact - a solid flick. Not quite as good as it's made out to be, but extremely fun.
Insurrection - it's OK, as most say it plays more like an episode of the show than a theatrical movie.
Nemesis - I fantasize that Frakes will someday get to re-cut this. I think there is a good movie in there, but the director is clueless.
John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 02-03-23, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D
The 4k of Star Trek TMP looks pretty great. I have a pretty basic Sony player and have had no problems with playback, though my 4k disc collection is pretty small.

The movie is also a great example of how to not Lucas-up a movie with digital tinkering. The improved effects feel seamless, and have made me rethink getting the remastered TOS, for some reason upgrading the effects on that series seemed a bridge too far, but now I'm not so sure.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One difference between the upgraded Star Wars OT and Star Trek TOS is that the original versions of TOS are still available on the blu-rays, and were released on two separate DVD runs, so they're still released and still available in good quality.

I can personally justify the upgraded effects on TOS because the old special effects don't look good at all in HD; it really brings out the limitations on the 1960s special effects technology and tv budget. And there's also the matter that so many are recycled stock shots that binging them can be kind of distracting when you see same planets and shots of the ship over and over again.

I also appreciate things like having more shots of the old school Romulan Bird of Prey and getting to see the Klingon D7s before the third season.

That said, the new effects shots look kind of cheap and overly CGI; they could use some dirtying up, even though I think they intentionally made them that way to more seamlessly fit in with the bright 1960s aesthetic of the live action footage.
Not 4k obv but TOS in HD is back on sale for 30 bucks at VUDU. https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...Bundle-/787134

I finally bit, and pleased so far with the first 15 minutes I've watched.
Old 02-03-23, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

The one thing that bothers me about the updated FX in the three seasons of Star Trek is that the closing credits still have the old FX and some are from the episode you just watched. Just a little nitpick but I always watch with the original FX anyway.
Old 02-03-23, 09:07 PM

The one thing that bothers me about the updated FX in the three seasons of Star Trek is that the closing credits still have the old FX and some are from the episode you just watched. Just a little nitpick but I always watch with the original FX anyway.
I think I might like that. I'm ok with the updated fx, but would be neat to see how the old look too. I'm seconds away from buying the animated series anyway. I need help.
Old 02-08-23, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Not a movie, but this Trek show is coming to 4K.

TheBang (02-08-23)
Old 02-09-23, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yep, have my preorder in place for that one.
Old 02-09-23, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yep, have my preorder in place for that one.
I cancelled my BD preorder. However, I am holding out for a non-Steelbook release of the 4K UHD BD set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.