Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 07:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by faust69
Death of Superman was actually quite good. The animated movies the last few years have been very hit-or-miss, but this I definitely consider a hit. Looking forward to the sequel to this.
they really have been hit or miss. i get them all, not exactly sure why, i like superheroes on both DC and especially Marvel side, but these animated are not always memorable. Wonder Woman was only one that left great impression as i loved that one to bits. left me wanting more of the same in all others. and hope they get same voices (Russell, Fillion) and similar for next installment coming out whenever.

but thanks faust. hope i get that tingle back with this...
Old 08-11-18, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Just finished watching Death of Superman and thought it was ok. Doomsday was portrayed as an even bigger menace than in the comic books due to how he quickly disposed of a much better lineup of the JL than the comic storyline had. Still, one of the best things about the comic book story was seeing how the heroes like Booster Gold, Guy Gardner, Ice, Maxima and Blue Beetle gave all they could to the point that Gardner and Booster lost their power, Ice was heavily injured and Blue Beetle was in a coma for months. Also, I didn't like at all that the movie completely rushed over the Funeral for a Friend story, which to me, was the best part of the whole trilogy. Showing how all the side characters reacted to Supes death was truly heartbreaking and it lead for an incredibly emotional and well written follow up.

I don't know why WB seems to rush and compress these stories instead of taking their time and using all the source material for this as close as they can. I also hope that they move on from the New 52 look and story as it was one of the weakest periods for DC Comics overall.
Old 08-11-18, 07:34 PM
Banned

Also, I wonder how much of the Reign of Superman they are going to use. The destruction of Coast City was a big part of this, and I don't see them revising this.
Old 08-11-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah, I wish they would loosen the time constraints on more of these movies. At least The Death of Superman is a two parter which should help the story somewhat but some of these feel like a lot of parts are glossed over, especially when it comes to the straight adaptations.
Old 08-11-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by faust69
Death of Superman was actually quite good. The animated movies the last few years have been very hit-or-miss, but this I definitely consider a hit. Looking forward to the sequel to this.
I agree. I actually liked it quite a bit. Certainly rectifies Superman: Doomsday animated movie.
Old 08-11-18, 09:21 PM
Banned

I finished watching the 2 Legion of Superheroes that were included as extras and thought they were pretty well done. Anyone knows why this show was cancelled after season 2? And why hasn't been released on Blu-ray as a complete set?
Old 08-12-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know why they continue to release these 4K versions if they are shit

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-De...198765/#Review
Old 08-13-18, 11:21 AM

saw a little of Death of Superman thus far. really liking it. tone, animation, etc. can't wait to get into it more. but, why can't they keep same voices consistently? i know Batman has been somewhat with that Conroy guy, but there have been others. i always really like Tim Daly as Superman. don't know which he has done, but i know a few at least. why no consistency with voices?
Old 08-13-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
saw a little of Death of Superman thus far. really liking it. tone, animation, etc. can't wait to get into it more. but, why can't they keep same voices consistently? i know Batman has been somewhat with that Conroy guy, but there have been others. i always really like Tim Daly as Superman. don't know which he has done, but i know a few at least. why no consistency with voices?
Death of Superman takes place within the continuity started with the Flashpoint movie, and while there was some inconsistency in the first couple of movies, the last few years have been pretty stable. Jerry O'Connell has played Superman in like the last 4 or 5.
Old 08-13-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I finished watching the 2 Legion of Superheroes that were included as extras and thought they were pretty well done. Anyone knows why this show was cancelled after season 2? And why hasn't been released on Blu-ray as a complete set?
I thought it was a great show but I'm a big Legion nerd. No idea why it was canceled--maybe it was considered too niche? As far as not getting a proper release, I feel like it was around that time when physical TV releases were starting to get phased out.
Old 08-13-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

And why hasn't been released on Blu-ray as a complete set?
I could imagine Warner Archive getting around to 'em eventually.
Old 08-13-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I thought it was a great show but I'm a big Legion nerd. No idea why it was canceled--maybe it was considered too niche? As far as not getting a proper release, I feel like it was around that time when physical TV releases were starting to get phased out.
It never even got a real DVD release, IIRC. Also, a lot of kids shows don't get season sets, it was a minor miracle that YJ and Brave and the Bold did. Heck, the greatest DC animated series of all time is only just getting a Blu-ray release...
Old 08-13-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
These are new stories set around Superman's death pre New 52 or something, because that death never happened in the current Rebirth universe, right?

The fact I had to type that out made me gag a little.
No, current Rebirth Superman died at the hands of Doomsday and came back much like the original 90's story. The continuity is fuzzy, as the exact story has never been told since the New 52 era for this merged Rebirth Superman, which combines elements of both histories from Pre-Flashpoint and New 52 eras. There are a couple of panels in his book that loosely listed what's in continuity.

I know this is all Greek to non-comic book readers.
Old 08-13-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It came out right at the height of the Superboy lawsuit against DC - which forced them to call the show Superman and the Legion of Superheroes for legal purposes. They used a skinny, younger version of Superman that resembled Superboy in all but name.

The show was aimed at children and wasn't a ratings hit or a big toy seller. Given the legal wrangling behind the scenes, it made sense to cancel the show at the time.

It's enjoyable if you like the Legion. Though the two included episodes on the Blu-ray are probably the best episodes in the series' two seasons.

Legion has been more or less abandoned, even by DC themselves. The book hasn't sold well in years and once Levitz left DC's management, there was no one really pushing the property. That has spilled over into over media, unfortunately.

It's a shame, because the Legion is easily the best fit for Hollywood's diversity fetish today amongst DC's properties. It could be like Star Trek meets Guardians of the Galaxy.
Old 08-13-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No, current Rebirth Superman died at the hands of Doomsday and came back much like the original 90's story. The continuity is fuzzy, as the exact story has never been told since the New 52 era for this merged Rebirth Superman, which combines elements of both histories from Pre-Flashpoint and New 52 eras. There are a couple of panels in his book that loosely listed what's in continuity.

I know this is all Greek to non-comic book readers.
In Superman: Rebirth, pre new 52 clark tells New 52 Lana about his death at the hands of Doomsday, and she mentions "yeah we had a run in with a version of him, too." Then pre 52 Clark is like "well, this is how I came back from the dead, so maybe it'll work on your Superman," and it turns out that whatever artifact he used wasn't in the new 52 universe or some nonsense. So I really doubt new 52 Superman was killed by Doomsday. Especially because when he was actually killed, nobody thought he would come back besides pre52 Clark.

It was alluded to in Action Comics, but this interview with Soule seems to indicate that that didn't really happen:
https://www.newsarama.com/20267-did-...day-event.html

Man, screw comics.

And as a huge Legion fan, my big hope is that that Legion cartoon is released on DC's new streaming service (along with stuff like Krypto). The first season was free with Amazon Prime for a while and my son watched it, but it's no longer free there.

My other longshot hope is that the rumored Supergirl movie is out there enough that it can pull in the Legion like the Supergirl tv show did (but better).
Old 08-13-18, 06:46 PM

Wow, Death of Superman is fucking fantastic. The humor, the story, character development, action. Has it all. Tells it well. Best since Wonder Woman, hands down. And a tad gory for PG-13. That was a nice surprise.

One question though...does the Hank Henshaw (astronaut voiced by Patrick Fabian) who becomes villain in this have any ties to WB’s Supergirl’s current Hank Henshaw who’s also Martian Manhunter, but clearly not so in this movie. I don’t get it.

Edit: I guess Henshaw is also Cyborg Superman who was once, maybe twice appeared in Supergirl eps and was played by David Harewood. I guess ethnic difference confused me. So who is this hulking beast that crushes skulls in DoS?

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-13-18 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Wow, Death of Superman is fucking fantastic. The humor, the story, character development, action. Has it all. Tells it well. Best since Wonder Woman, hands down. And a tad gory for PG-13. That was a nice surprise.

One question though...does the Hank Henshaw (astronaut voiced by Patrick Fabian) who becomes villain in this have any ties to WB’s Supergirl’s current Hank Henshaw who’s also Martian Manhunter, but clearly not so in this movie. I don’t get it.

Edit: I guess Henshaw is also Cyborg Superman who was once, maybe twice appeared in Supergirl eps and was played by David Harewood. I guess ethnic difference confused me. So who is this hulking beast that crushes skulls in DoS?
The beast is Doomsday. Hank Henshaw is Cyborg Superman as you mentioned, but has different origins is the Arrowverse, the animated movies and the comic books. In the comics, he's team of astronauts became an evil Fantastic Four for 1 or 2 issues and battle Superman.
Old 08-13-18, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It came out right at the height of the Superboy lawsuit against DC - which forced them to call the show Superman and the Legion of Superheroes for legal purposes. They used a skinny, younger version of Superman that resembled Superboy in all but name.

The show was aimed at children and wasn't a ratings hit or a big toy seller. Given the legal wrangling behind the scenes, it made sense to cancel the show at the time.

It's enjoyable if you like the Legion. Though the two included episodes on the Blu-ray are probably the best episodes in the series' two seasons.

Legion has been more or less abandoned, even by DC themselves. The book hasn't sold well in years and once Levitz left DC's management, there was no one really pushing the property. That has spilled over into over media, unfortunately.

It's a shame, because the Legion is easily the best fit for Hollywood's diversity fetish today amongst DC's properties. It could be like Star Trek meets Guardians of the Galaxy.
My understanding is that the Legion is coming back after the Doomsday Clock series is finished.
Old 08-13-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My understanding is that the Legion is coming back after the Doomsday Clock series is finished.
Oh, so around 2020 then?
Old 08-14-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Legion is supposedly one of those properties under Geoff Johns' creative control at DC (meaning either he would write it or approve the writer himself), but it has always been on the backburner.

I basically think the big hang-up moving forward is Superman's role in the Legion, besides the title's generally poor sales. If the rumors of yet another DC reboot coming after Doomsday Clock are true, I think we see some part of Legion history restored with Superman/Superboy involved.
Old 08-14-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't really care about changing the character's name to "Superman" in the Legion TV series except in one episode where he was attracted to a clearly teenage girl, so it struck me as creepy.
Old 08-14-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't really care about changing the character's name to "Superman" in the Legion TV series except in one episode where he was attracted to a clearly teenage girl, so it struck me as creepy.
But he was Superboy in everything but name. They basically pulled him in time from before he traveled to Metropolis and became Superman.
Old 08-14-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seemed creepy to me
Old 08-14-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seemed creepy to me
Is that the one where the girl who liked him turned out to be Lex Luthor's descendant? Talk about creepy.
Old 08-14-18, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is that the one where the girl who liked him turned out to be Lex Luthor's descendant? Talk about creepy.
Yeah, I think so.

http://losh.wikia.com/wiki/Legacy

Now this conversation makes me want to rewatch some episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.