Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-13-17, 08:11 AM   #976
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Jim Lee just said that Harley Quinn is the "fourth" member of the Trinity at DC Comics, after Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman...

http://www.cbr.com/jim-lee-dubs-harl...c-comics-line/

Personally, I think it's a brash, reckless push made for marketing and licensing reasons. Someone at DC thinks they can sell millions in licensed Harley goods.
To be fair, DC has been selling millions in licensed Harley goods. That's why Hot topic has a complete section for her only. But the statement is a kick in the gonads for all Green Lantern and Flash fans
Old 09-13-17, 09:57 AM   #977
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
To be fair, DC has been selling millions in licensed Harley goods. That's why Hot topic has a complete section for her only. But the statement is a kick in the gonads for all Green Lantern and Flash fans
Welp, I buy Batman and Flash licensed goods primarily (shirt, shoes, watches, etc) when it comes to DC...but my ex-wife bought Harley Quinn stuff in droves (as well as Joker) (My current wife she doesn't really get into any of that). Harley Quinn is the "super hero" symbol for all rebel type girls pretty much everywhere. Wonder Woman is for pretty much every other female out there that doesn't resonate with HQ. So no surprise. GL is probably barely a blip out there. Heck, Green Arrow probably does better at this point. And Flash is slightly above both of those.

I wish there was more Nightwing stuff myself, but I digress.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 09-13-17, 02:37 PM   #978
DVD Talk Legend

I realize that it's been out for quite a while but I just finally watched Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders on Saturday and have to say I was a tad disappointed in it. I am a fan of the 66 series and I know often times it was goofy but I feel like the plot and some things about the film were too goofy. It seems like they let it go more over the top than an average episode because it was animated. I didn't dislike it but had different expectations. I'm hoping Batman vs. Two-Face will be better.
Old 09-22-17, 09:37 AM   #979
DVD Talk Legend

Does this mark the end of Target's exclusive DC Animated Steelbooks? Looks like the exclusive for the upcoming Two-Face release is going to be a lenticular slipcover.

https://www.target.com/p/batman-vs-t...51#lnk=sametab

Maybe BB or Walmart will have a steelbook.
Old 09-22-17, 09:43 AM   #980
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lame if true. I would not have bought at least two of the last five discs (teen titans and jld) if not for the steel books. Oh well will save some money in the long run. Down for Batman vs Twoface regardless
Old 09-22-17, 02:05 PM   #981
DVD Talk Legend

That would force me to rent more of these from the library rather than buying them and only watching them once. So yeah, while it sucks, it might actually work out for the better. And their new $20 pricing didn't help either. I still see steelbook copies of Batman & Harley Quinn at multiple Target stores, which wasn't always the case with prior releases.
Old 09-22-17, 02:34 PM   #982
DVD Talk Legend

Well that sucks. I wouldn't have started getting the Steelbooks in that case. I'll go back to getting the regular releases if Target stops doing the Steelbook releases.
Old 09-22-17, 02:37 PM   #983
DVD Talk Legend

For me it will probably equal me only buying the better reviewed titles once they hit clearance and looking to sell many of the DC steelbooks I've purchased.
Old 09-22-17, 02:41 PM   #984
DVD Talk Legend

I've collected most of the films just because I enjoy them. So I won't be selling them off but I would have kept them uniform looking rather than having some in standard cases and some in Steelbook cases. Ah well I guess.
Old 09-22-17, 02:46 PM   #985
DVD Talk Legend

The retailer foots the bill for the extra cost of steelbooks. It's possible another chain took over the Steelbooks.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 09-22-17, 03:39 PM   #986
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's interesting how many times Harley's looks have changed in 25 years.
Old 09-25-17, 09:26 PM   #987
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Does this mark the end of Target's exclusive DC Animated Steelbooks? Looks like the exclusive for the upcoming Two-Face release is going to be a lenticular slipcover.

https://www.target.com/p/batman-vs-t...51#lnk=sametab

Maybe BB or Walmart will have a steelbook.
If true, part of me is kind of bummed since I've collected all the steelbooks so far. Another part of me is kind of relieved since these releases seem to be coming a lot more frequently these days and I can barely keep up.
Old 09-25-17, 10:52 PM   #988
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I've collected most of the films just because I enjoy them. So I won't be selling them off but I would have kept them uniform looking rather than having some in standard cases and some in Steelbook cases. Ah well I guess.
Lenticular slipcovers are cool and all, but I would have rather keep going with steelbooks when I choose to buy these DC Animated movies. I've been lucky enough to score every one since I new to start looking for them on release day.
Old 09-27-17, 10:06 PM   #989
DVD Talk Legend

It seems that Target decided to pass on releasing this specific Adam West Batman movie in a steelbook edition but will most likely continue their DC steelbooks going forward. That is the scuttlebutt at the moment. Maybe Adam West's fans didn't dig the first movie's steelbook edition and it sold poorly.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 09-28-17, 09:46 AM   #990
DVD Talk Legend

That's the only steelbook I've passed on as well. And I still see it from time to time at some stores too.
Old 09-28-17, 10:29 AM   #991
DVD Talk Legend

Would love to see anything that indicates Target will be going back to offering DC Animated steelbooks that is anything other than speculation pulled out of somebody's ass.
Old 10-01-17, 08:01 PM   #992
Inane Thread Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You probably want it in digital OldBoy, but I have an extra DVD of Planet Hulk I'd mail you.
Trevor, not sure u got my email and I can’t pm you. Got dvd yesterday. Thanks so much!
Old 10-01-17, 08:14 PM   #993
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Trevor, not sure u got my email and I can’t pm you. Got dvd yesterday. Thanks so much!
You're very welcome! Sorry for the delay, the package had fallen under my seat and not been mailed out with the earlier batch.
Old 10-01-17, 11:20 PM   #994
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It seems that Target decided to pass on releasing this specific Adam West Batman movie in a steelbook edition but will most likely continue their DC steelbooks going forward. That is the scuttlebutt at the moment. Maybe Adam West's fans didn't dig the first movie's steelbook edition and it sold poorly.
Hmm, that kind of makes sense. The last Adam West movie doesn’t really ‘fit’ with the rest of the DC animated films.

I’m not too torn up about the news of no steelbooks for the next Adam West movie...except for the completist in me who already bought the last West steelbook and now won’t have steelbooks for both.
Old 10-03-17, 09:20 PM   #995
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here but Best Buy put out a Steelbook for the "Commemorate Edition" re-release of Justice League New Frontier. I picked it up for $19.99. It turns out that it was one of the few that I didn't already own. It's very pretty actually - Looks very retro.
Maybe Best Buy will be carrying the DCAU Steelbooks going forward?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/justice...?skuId=6099600
Old 10-03-17, 09:45 PM   #996
DVD Talk Legend

Bummer. I want to get that but Target is more convenient for me since I have one locally but don't have a Best Buy. At $19.99 plus shipping I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Old 10-03-17, 10:12 PM   #997
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here but Best Buy put out a Steelbook for the "Commemorate Edition" re-release of Justice League New Frontier. I picked it up for $19.99. It turns out that it was one of the few that I didn't already own. It's very pretty actually - Looks very retro.

But I don't believe that was a Best Buy exclusive.

https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Leagu.../dp/B074R6HG5S

But if the exclusive deal for these DC steelbooks just changed hands that would be great for those that liked collecting them. But after being disappointed with the last few of these movies, I'm probably done steelbook or not. I'll pick up the better reviewed ones as a used copies, or after they hit clearance prices.
Old 10-04-17, 09:01 AM   #998
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post

It's not a Best Buy exclusive. Amazon has it too.

Steelbook version

https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Leagu...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Regular blu ray version (only $1 less )

https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Leagu...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and if you don't care about packaging, this is the version to get since it has two DC movies. I think I paid like $3 for it during one of the GoHastings sales.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-and-Ju...=B0093I914G&m=
Old 10-04-17, 09:47 AM   #999
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully its clear now that the Best Buy New Frontier steelbook wasn't an exclusive.

At this point I would think Best Buy would have a listing for the next DC Animated movie exclusive steelbook if they were going to have one. So it still looks to me like there will not be steelbooks anymore for the first run of these DC Animated movies. What does look like it might become a thing is them re-release the old ones as steelbooks.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-14-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 07:37 PM   #1000
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The Batman vs. Two-Face steelbook is a Best Buy exclusive (or at least it says "Only @ Best Buy").
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt