Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by fujishig
I haven't seen the movie, but from your description, I'm sure if the gender roles were reversed you'd come to the same conclusion...
I wouldn't say that at all. It's not like he's trying to push her off or anything, which given who he is if he really had an issue with what was happening he would have been able to at least make an attempt despite being bound to the bed. He doesn't give any indication that he has an issue with it. To me it seems like he's into it but just isn't necessarily expecting it.
Old 09-07-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wouldn't say that at all. It's not like he's trying to push her off or anything, which given who he is if he really had an issue with what was happening he would have been able to at least make an attempt despite being bound to the bed. He doesn't give any indication that he has an issue with it. To me it seems like he's into it but just isn't necessarily expecting it.
Spoiler:
What (I think) fujishig is talking about is if the situation was objective and flipped -- a woman was drugged, strapped to a bed in an abandoned building, and then "gave into temptation" by reluctantly banging her captor after he stripped and bent over to show off the goods -- then would these sentiments be the same? And the poster has a point.

If we're using "who he is" as an element of the equation, shouldn't we also take into consideration who Harley is?

Let's face it: this is a lot of mental gymnastics for a murky sex(-ish) scene that, ultimately, added almost nothing to the story beyond some peculiar fan-service and/or wish fulfillment.
Old 09-07-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got a chance to watch this last night. I watch most of these animated movies with my kids, but after the talk in this thread I decided to watch with my wife first and I'm REALLY glad we didn't let the kids watch this one.
Old 09-07-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Spoiler:
What (I think) fujishig is talking about is if the situation was objective and flipped -- a woman was drugged, strapped to a bed in an abandoned building, and then "gave into temptation" by reluctantly banging her captor after he stripped and bent over to show off the goods -- then would these sentiments be the same? And the poster has a point.

If we're using "who he is" as an element of the equation, shouldn't we also take into consideration who Harley is?

Let's face it: this is a lot of mental gymnastics for a murky sex(-ish) scene that, ultimately, added almost nothing to the story beyond some peculiar fan-service and/or wish fulfillment.
Spoiler:
My sentiments about the scene weren't exactly positive if you read my first post about it. I do think it's a weird scene and while I didn't find it offensive some things about it bother me from a character perspective and I don't feel it adds to the overall story of the film. It's not like I'm praising Dick for getting some action. All I'm getting at is I didn't really take it as something he didn't want to happen or he wouldn't have let it happen. I agree about his relationship with Harley because of his history with both her and The Joker and the things they've been through in the past. I cited that in my other post too.
Old 09-07-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welp, my steelbook is to be delivered today (on the truck). The frame made it yesterday...the box was torn to shreds but Art2Frames packed it like a champ...seriously, no item damage at all (you can see the framed item in the Shout Factory thread if you are curious). I don't have high hopes for the steelbook though based on what i know about Target shipping methods. Here's hoping I am wrong.
Old 09-07-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I don't know about that. Suicide Squad was largely about Harley's relationship with The Joker.
DC Comics has virtually no input into WB's live movies outside of Geoff Johns. All the people running the animated properties are people heavily tied to DC like Mike Carlin. It's why there is such a disconnect between the animated versions and theatrical movie versions.
Old 09-07-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Welp, my steelbook is to be delivered today (on the truck). The frame made it yesterday...the box was torn to shreds but Art2Frames packed it like a champ...seriously, no item damage at all (you can see the framed item in the Shout Factory thread if you are curious). I don't have high hopes for the steelbook though based on what i know about Target shipping methods. Here's hoping I am wrong.
Let me know. Mine shipped in a cardboard shipping sleeve. Not great protection. But mine is intact and I can send it to you if need be.
Old 09-08-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Let me know. Mine shipped in a cardboard shipping sleeve. Not great protection. But mine is intact and I can send it to you if need be.
The packaging was worse for wear, but it looks remarkably okay. Feel free to return your extra copy and thank you very much for holding on so long to it.
Old 09-08-17, 10:38 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
ygpm.
Old 09-08-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I don't know about that. Suicide Squad was largely about Harley's relationship with The Joker.
And it was one of the worst parts of the movie. I've said it before but I don't really understand the popularity of Harley, especially as a role model or anti hero, but if you're going to go that route she has to divorce herself from Joker or she's just an abused plaything always coming back for more.
Old 09-08-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
And it was one of the worst parts of the movie. I've said it before but I don't really understand the popularity of Harley, especially as a role model or anti hero, but if you're going to go that route she has to divorce herself from Joker or she's just an abused plaything always coming back for more.
I agree. Never said I liked it but was just responding to PhantomStranger even though apparently I'm wrong according to what he says. I didn't like Suicide Squad or the relationship between Joker and Harley. I've never been a big Harley fan to begin with in all honesty. I think she's a bit of an overrated character and have never really understood her appeal or popularity. She's basically been portrayed as being okay as the victim of an abusive relationship for a good majority of her existence. That has changed over the years but it took a long time and that's not how the film portrayed her.
Old 09-09-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really think that Batman and Harley Quinn has gotten a bit overshadowed by the Nightwing/Harley scene. To me it was a pretty fun movie. Not even close to the worst of these DCAU films like another poster claimed earlier. Some aspects were a bit silly but still it was enjoyable. It really felt like a longer episode of Batman: The Animated Series/The New Batman Adventures but with a bit more of an adult edge. Melissa Rauch grew on me as Harley throughout the film but not sure why they didn't bring back Arleen Sorkin. The story wasn't anything too special but it worked and played off of current real issues. Overall one of the more enjoyable DCAU films for me and I'd love to get more reunion movies like this.
Old 09-10-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think people are getting thrown for a loop by the movie because the tone is nothing like the animation suggests as a spiritual successor to Batman: The Animated Series. You get the crude, raunchy modern Harley interacting with the classic Batman and Nightwing from the earlier animated series. That nightclub scene was practically ripped from one of Harley's more recent comics.

It's not the movie I would have written if tasked with a Harley solo movie, but I don't have much of a problem with Harley and Joker being in a relationship. She's being turned into a hero of sorts because Warner wants another "strong" female lead for their movies. She's becoming the Deadpool of the DC Universe.
Old 09-10-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were some odd moments in the film overall just in how it plays out. Like the scene where she's farting in the Batmobile didn't feel like something the show would have done and is more immature humor. Also the ending is weird as it doesn't really show what happens to The Floronic Man. Are we to believe that Harley set him on fire, and if so Batman and Nightwing wouldn't condone that (although maybe because the entire world was in danger). The scene that plays midway through the credits with Harley as a tv doctor like Dr. Phil or something was bizarre too. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I liked it but overall it's got some weird parts.
Old 09-10-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd rather watch Suicide Squad than Batman & Harley Quinn again.

Old 09-11-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There were some odd moments in the film overall just in how it plays out. Like the scene where she's farting in the Batmobile didn't feel like something the show would have done and is more immature humor. Also the ending is weird as it doesn't really show what happens to The Floronic Man. Are we to believe that Harley set him on fire, and if so Batman and Nightwing wouldn't condone that (although maybe because the entire world was in danger). The scene that plays midway through the credits with Harley as a tv doctor like Dr. Phil or something was bizarre too. I wasn't really sure what to make of it. I liked it but overall it's got some weird parts.
That post-credits scene was completely out there. It felt like a last-minute addition someone thought would be clever but hadn't been hashed out completely.
Old 09-11-17, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
She's being turned into a hero of sorts because Warner wants another "strong" female lead for their movies. She's becoming the Deadpool of the DC Universe.
She was turned into a "hero" because people like anti-heroes, like her, like Deadpool, Punisher, Wolverine, Lobo, Venom, etc. It wasn't a DC decision, it was a fan one. Even, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker had implied that Harley wasn't a villain anymore and further developed in Justice League, based on the way fans were perceiving Harley.

And the story and popularity developed organically. Harley stopped putting with Joker's abusive relationship and moved on. This is one of the reasons people hated the Suicide Squad film, cause not only did they paired Joker and Harley once more, but they made it look like starcrossed lovers. The only thing that would save that piece of shit film is if they reveal later on that Jared Leto is playing a deranged Jason Todd or Tim Drake who became the Joker after he was mentally tortured by the real one.
Old 09-11-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley is also one of the good guys in the Injustice 2 story mode.
Old 09-11-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Harley is also one of the good guys in the Injustice 2 story mode.
Well, Injustice takes place on an alternate universe where Superman and most of the Justice League goes bad. She is still an accessory to the murder of a ton of people in metropolis, and when Superman kills Joker in retaliation she seeks revenge. So she kinda helped start the whole mess, is in a super abusive relationship with the joker in that universe that only ends when he dies, then when another joker comes in she falls behind him but slowly sees how selfish she is and redeems herself.

While I appreciate the effort to make a storyline around why superheroes are beating each other up, my kids are confused whenever they see it, especially at stuff like Wonder Woman being almost irredeemably evil.

She's also one of the main characters in Super Hero Girls, where heroes and most villains attend high school together. That's like the most watered down version.
Old 09-11-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hadn't realized there was a push to make Harley "good" I guess. This film was my first exposure to her being on the right side of the law and working with Batman and Nightwing in a way where she didn't end up double crossing them.
Old 09-11-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The female Batman rogues usually wind up on the good side once and a while.

Talia between her father and Bruce, Selina between Batman and her own ways, Harley when she is upset with Joker, and Poison Ivy when anything threatens her plants.
Old 09-12-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hadn't realized there was a push to make Harley "good" I guess. This film was my first exposure to her being on the right side of the law and working with Batman and Nightwing in a way where she didn't end up double crossing them.
Jim Lee just said that Harley Quinn is the "fourth" member of the Trinity at DC Comics, after Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman...

http://www.cbr.com/jim-lee-dubs-harl...c-comics-line/

Personally, I think it's a brash, reckless push made for marketing and licensing reasons. Someone at DC thinks they can sell millions in licensed Harley goods.
Old 09-12-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't that said a while ago, or did he reiterate it? It's certainly akin to Deadpool, who is not anywhere near as important to the Marvel Universe as most characters but is very popular and drove his own movie franchise.
Old 09-12-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jim Lee just said that Harley Quinn is the "fourth" member of the Trinity at DC Comics, after Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman...

Personally, I think it's a brash, reckless push made for marketing and licensing reasons. Someone at DC thinks they can sell millions in licensed Harley goods.
She was pretty huge during Halloween last year, so that's a possible reason.
Old 09-12-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That seems ridiculous to go as far as putting her up there with the Trinity in terms of importance to DC. I agree that she's basically valuable because she can move a lot of merchandise but her character definitely isn't as important to the DC universe as a whole compared to Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.