Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Behind the Candelabra was an HBO original. It only had a limited theatrical release to festivals and the UK market.
I didn't see it. The way Matt was talking about it, it seemed like it had a regular theatrical release.

In the last decade or so, the lines have really blurred between a theatrical release, a made-for-tv/streaming movie, and direct-to-video movies.
Old 04-13-23, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I didn't see it. The way Matt was talking about it, it seemed like it had a regular theatrical release.

In the last decade or so, the lines have really blurred between a theatrical release, a made-for-tv/streaming movie, and direct-to-video movies.
I don't know the production history with "Behind the Candelabra" but with the talent involved (Damon, Douglas and Soderbergh) this may have been developed as a theatrical release but changing market conditions around that time made it unfeasible, at least in North America.

Maybe it's just my own bias but a theatrical release lends a certain gravity and legitimacy to any film as opposed to a direct-to-video/streaming model. In recent years that opinion is quickly changing as the whole quality independent and mid-range budget film market has been relegated to streaming.

The trend seems to be if a film isn't poised to earn a billion dollars in the world-wide market, it's not worth releasing in theatres.
The following users liked this post:
morriscroy (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Maybe it's just my own bias but a theatrical release lends a certain gravity and legitimacy to any film as opposed to a direct-to-video/streaming model.
This ^ !

Another personal bias is the (incorrect) perception of how movies have more "gravity / legitimacy" than television shows.
Old 04-13-23, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Yeah, a movie is a movie regardless of where it's released.
I have no intention of ever stepping foot in a movie theatre again - so I prefer movies to forgo a theatrical release and go direct to streaming so I can see it sooner.
Old 04-14-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Old 04-14-23, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Down 21 straight weeks now.
Old 04-15-23, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Maybe it's just my own bias but a theatrical release lends a certain gravity and legitimacy to any film as opposed to a direct-to-video/streaming model.
Ever since I started collecting movies, I've differentiated between stuff made for theaters (which is what qualifies to me as MOVIES), stuff made for TV, cable, or straght to video. Even now, with the lines a bit blurred and the theatrical experience being crap, I still give higher priority to watching or buying things that were at least intended to be seen in a theater, and where I hopefully would have seen them first if I had any good theaters in my area. At least before streaming being invented, I would clearly see the production values of productions made for anything other than theatrical release just not being as good. Watching made for TV movies on laserdisc often made them look TOO good.

And back on subject, I went to Target today and there wasn't anything there that even tempted me. They've severely cut back on movies, so I can't buy what they aren't selling. Got a few music DVDs in the mail this week though that I'd been meaning to get before they disappear.
Old 04-18-23, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Well, something is keeping physical media going:

https://www.polygon.com/23681111/ani...all-evangelion

At the time of writing this, the anime film Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero sits above the blockbuster Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, and the smash hit Top Gun: Maverick for most popularBlu-ray releases on Amazon.
Old 04-18-23, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to put this under "things I didn't know were still a thing today":

Netflix will shut down its DVD rental business in September
Old 04-18-23, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Well, something is keeping physical media going:

https://www.polygon.com/23681111/ani...all-evangelion
Anime fans still love physical media, even if most still employ Crunchyroll or whatever to screen new shows. I have way more anime sets than any other genre.
Old 04-21-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 04-21-23, 02:40 PM

:facepalm:
Old 04-21-23, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Not looking good at all.
Old 04-21-23, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

22!

Yeah, it's only going to get worse.

Kinda surprised that DVD still accounts for more than 50% of the revenue most weeks. I figured with people getting more used to HD quality overall (ie. cable, streaming, youtube, etc.) that even though both formats would decline, DVD would decline more than BD. The split's gotta be like 75/25 in favor of DVD when accounting for unit sales instead of revenue as DVDs are cheaper.

I haven't paid attention, but were there any big movies (ie. did well at the boxoffice) released in the last 10-15 weeks?
Old 04-22-23, 11:29 PM

Yep, I keep saying this but it blows my mind that anyone would still be bothering with regular DVD at this point, unless it was something old that hadn't been released on any better format. Are there still charts that show exactly what titles people are buying?

Went to Target today for everyday stuff and they have yet AGAIN shrunk the movie section in favor of more vinyl LPs. REALLY don't know who's buying those.
Old 04-23-23, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Are there still charts that show exactly what titles people are buying?
Yes.

Big-budget blockbuster-types fare better on Blu-ray and UHD when initially released. But generally, the longer a title is out, the more the percentage swings towards DVD. More family-oriented movies and titles with less spectacle also generally do better on DVD. The trends have been the same for ages.

The boring answer is that sales (especially longtail) favor DVD because it’s cheaper, good enough, and so accessible.
Why So Blu? (04-23-23)
Old 04-23-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Yes.

Big-budget blockbuster-types fare better on Blu-ray and UHD when initially released. But generally, the longer a title is out, the more the percentage swings towards DVD. More family-oriented movies and titles with less spectacle also generally do better on DVD. The trends have been the same for ages.

The boring answer is that sales (especially longtail) favor DVD because it’s cheaper, good enough, and so accessible.
Alan can't see that, because he believes everyone should be a cinephile. Most folks out there are just casual fans and DVD is cheap and good enough.
Old 04-23-23, 12:04 PM

There usually isn't that big a price difference anymore between DVD and Blu though- that chart is something else, Wizard of Oz is on it and Blu-Ray only accounts for 4% of current sales? That movie has been on video for over 40 years and in fact was one of the very first titles on DVD, I have more editions of it than I can count. I don't know why anyone buying that right now would want it on regular DVD and not even already have it. Aren't most of the people who aren't "cinephiles" streaming now anyways?
Old 04-23-23, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

There usually isn't that big a price difference anymore between DVD and Blu though- that chart is something else, Wizard of Oz is on it and Blu-Ray only accounts for 4% of current sales? That movie has been on video for over 40 years and in fact was one of the very first titles on DVD, I have more editions of it than I can count. I don't know why anyone buying that right now would want it on regular DVD and not even already have it. Aren't most of the people who aren't "cinephiles" streaming now anyways?
The average person DOES NOT CARE about that. Also, yes, the average person would probably stream it if available.
IBJoel (05-04-23)
Old 04-23-23, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

There usually isn't that big a price difference anymore between DVD and Blu though- that chart is something else, Wizard of Oz is on it and Blu-Ray only accounts for 4% of current sales?
4% the week of April 9th - 15th. I haven't compared to other weeks throughout the year, but The Wizard of Oz has been an Easter tradition for decades, so I'd imagine that's why it's ranking as high as it is.

There usually isn't that big a price difference anymore between DVD and Blu though
For people who are happy with DVD, a $4 premium for Blu-ray is $4 too much.

Assuming the prices at Walmart are the same now as they were a couple weeks ago:
  • M3gan (18% cheaper on DVD; $4)
  • A Man Called Otto (18% cheaper on DVD; $4)
  • Wakanda Forever (9% cheaper on DVD vs. Blu-ray; $2...and 29% cheaper on DVD vs. UHD; $8)
  • Top Gun: Maverick (26% cheaper on DVD vs. Blu-ray; $6.50...and 23% cheaper on DVD vs. UHD; $5.50)
Why So Blu? (04-23-23)
Old 04-23-23, 02:17 PM

So are there any stats on how many people are opting for the lower-priced SD streaming/digital options when those are available? I wouldn't consider those in a billion years, most of those look worse than DVDs though HD streaming usually looks far better than that.
Old 04-24-23, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The average person DOES NOT CARE about that. Also, yes, the average person would probably stream it if available.
Some folks will just stream movies / tv shows, even if they already own the dvd/bluray.

Some folks are simply too lazy to even go through the motions of searching for a title on the shelf, taking the bluray disc out of the package, and putting the disk into the bluray/dvd player. I'm glad our own Alan Smithee is willing to go through the motions of playing discs manually.

The following 2 users liked this post by morriscroy:
Alan Smithee (04-24-23), BobO'Link (04-25-23)
Old 04-24-23, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Alan can't see that, because he believes everyone should be a cinephile. Most folks out there are just casual fans and DVD is cheap and good enough.
Alan can bark whatever batshit crazy stuff he/she wants to say. Nobody is going to stop him/her from doing so.

As far as I'm concerned, Alan is this particular message board's equivalent of the crazy uncle (or aunt) who goes on crazy wild rants all ado about nothing.
Old 04-24-23, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
For people who are happy with DVD, a $4 premium for Blu-ray is $4 too much.
(Going back further in time).

When I use to buy a lot of music cds and vinyl records more than 30 years ago, I found that price sensitivity was highly relevant as to whether I would buy a particular title. For example, I would always wait for something to be on the sale racks just to even save a dollar.
Old 04-24-23, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Some folks will just stream movies / tv shows, even if they already own the dvd/bluray.
Some folks are simply too lazy to even go through the motions of searching for a title on the shelf, taking the bluray disc out of the package, and putting the disk into the bluray/dvd player. I'm glad our own Alan Smithee is willing to go through the motions of playing discs manually.
Hey, those “motions” are part of the joy of it all.

There’s a conundrum however when I have a movie on laserdisc or any lesser format but also have access to it in HD on streaming. I still consider the physical media more legit, even though I can watch the streaming copy bypassing the annoying native interfaces of streaming services and watch those in better quality. I wouldn’t rebuy Blank Check on Blu-ray for instance but can watch it in great quality on Disney Plus, but the laserdisc I got for about a buck is still more permanent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.