Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 04-22-24, 09:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by orangerunner
The late 90s/early 2000s was such a renaissance of new tech with everything from laptops, MP3 players, digital cameras, color printers that the general public just devoured everything in sight without really giving it too much thought.

I distinctly remember overhearing people next to me in the DVD aisles filling-up their baskets and lamenting "I think I know this actor.", "Someone said this might be good." and then ring-up $142.50 at the cash registrar for 5 movies. This is where streaming has saved these folks a lot of money and wasted space.

Yes, this is true. I remember getting a DVD drive for my desktop computer and how exciting that was. Everything was new.

At one point, it was common for people to have a collection of DVDs. In fact, people even had VHS collection before then. Not vast collections like you see among hobbyists on this forum but a decent collection of their favourites. All gone. I can’t remember the last time I’ve been to someone place and seen DVDs or Blu-rays. Even rare to see the players anymore. I remember when VHS/DVDs/BDs were something you could gift someone for some occasion or other. If you did that today you would come off as insane.

I feel like with the decline of physical media in people’s home and shops, the death of brick and mortar rental shops/redbox, people going to the cinema less and less, the death of cable and media monoculture has resulted in a greatly diminished cultural influence for movies. Out of sight and out of mind. The best you can hope for is a blockbuster or two getting some buzz in any given year. The early 2000s really were the heyday for movies in our culture.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (05-08-24)
Old 04-26-24, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

I more or less agree movies have likely "peaked" in terms of massive cultural impact and are now in decline as an important facet of the common culture. The media environment has simply fractured too much and the youngest generations have rapidly diminishing attention spans thanks to social media.
ntnon (05-08-24)
Old 04-26-24, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I remember back in the early days of DVD -- probably around 1999 to 2001 when there were always people browsing the DVD racks at Best Buy. I remember a guy walking around the store with a handful of DVDs. The one on top was Collectors Edition of Halloween H20 -- the one that cost something like $35 new, wasn't anamorphic, and had the special features yanked at the eleventh hour so it really wasn't much of a collectors edition. A part of me wanted to warn him off of buying it.

I also remember seeing a nerdy looking kid with glasses buying all four of the Batman movies at full retail at Suncoast.

Crazy times.
Old 04-27-24, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I more or less agree movies have likely "peaked" in terms of massive cultural impact and are now in decline as an important facet of the common culture. The media environment has simply fractured too much and the youngest generations have rapidly diminishing attention spans thanks to social media.
My daughter, who is in her late teens, has a lot of difficulty watching a 2 hour movie in our home theatre room or a movie theatre. This is not unusual for her age group.

I always wondered why so many films aimed at this target audience (superhero movies, theme-park movies etc.) all seem to unnecessarily have 2 1/2 - 3 hour running times? Cut them down to 90 minutes and they'll probably be better films too!
PhantomStranger (04-27-24)
Old 04-29-24, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

The "DVD halcyon days" memory I recall best is going to Best Buy on the release day of the Gladiator DVD, and there being seriously about a hundred people there just to buy that one DVD (and they all got a few others as well). And that was just when they opened Tuesday morning - that's nothing to say how many more came throughout the weeks after.
I bought it too - I got rid of it long ago, and I never even picked up an HD of it. Just some perspective.
Old 04-29-24, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always wondered why so many films aimed at this target audience (superhero movies, theme-park movies etc.) all seem to unnecessarily have 2 1/2 - 3 hour running times? Cut them down to 90 minutes and they'll probably be better films too!
Foreign markets.
Most movie goers in other countries feel like they're getting more "bang for the buck" with longer movies, and feel cheated if the movie's too short.
Old 04-29-24, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Foreign markets.
Most movie goers in other countries feel like they're getting more "bang for the buck" with longer movies, and feel cheated if the movie's too short.
I suppose, but it would seem to me a shorter running time would be a solution for some of the theatrical release issues these days. A 3-hour movie chalk-full of CGI costs considerably more to make and a theatre can only show a 3-hour movie maybe 3-4 times per day whereas a 90 - 120 minute film can be shown 4-6 times a day.

The admission price for a 3-hour movie is usually the same as a 90 minute or 2 hour movie but the operating costs of the projector, bulb life and power are 30-40% more.

Maybe we'll see the rise of the "Attention-Deficit Cut" in North American markets?

Last edited by orangerunner; 04-29-24 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I suppose, but it would seem to me a shorter running time would be a solution for some of the theatrical release issues these days. A 3-hour movie chalk-full of CGI costs considerably more to make and a theatre can only show a 3-hour movie maybe 3-4 times per day whereas a 90 - 120 minute film can be shown 4-6 times a day.

The admission price for a 3-hour movie is usually the same as a 90 minute or 2 hour movie but the operating costs of the projector, bulb life and power are 30-40% more.

Maybe we'll see the rise of the "Attention-Deficit Cut" in North American markets?
And yet the top 4 biggest grossing movies, theatrically, all hover around 3 hours.
Old 04-29-24, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And yet the top 4 biggest grossing movies, theatrically, all hover around 3 hours.
Of the top 4 for 2023, Barbie and Super Mario were #1 & 2 and both were actually under 2 hours. But you're right, six out of the top 10 were between 2 hrs 15 minutes - 3 hours.

...and top grossing of all-time, yes it is interesting they are all in the 3-hour range too!

Last edited by orangerunner; 04-29-24 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The "DVD halcyon days" memory I recall best is going to Best Buy on the release day of the Gladiator DVD, and there being seriously about a hundred people there just to buy that one DVD (and they all got a few others as well). And that was just when they opened Tuesday morning - that's nothing to say how many more came throughout the weeks after.
I bought it too - I got rid of it long ago, and I never even picked up an HD of it. Just some perspective.
Yeah, the early years of DVD were a really interesting time. It was really lightning in a bottle that we'll probably never see again.

I think a lot of came down to Generation X... DVD was like a perfect storm for the generation raised on computers and CDs, most of grew up on VHS and our families never had laserdisc players, and DVD presented an opportunity for people in their twenties and thirties to start building up their on personal movie libraries. And we were always on the lookout for the next big gadget. It's not a coincidence that the iPod broke big around this time, too.

And now we're middle-aged and stuck with massive collections of DVDs that we don't have time to watch while the streaming services contiuously spit out content we can barely keep up with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
ntnon (05-08-24), slop101 (04-30-24)
Old 04-30-24, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And now we're middle-aged and stuck with massive collections of DVDs that we don't have time to watch while the streaming services contiuously spit out content we can barely keep up with.
Give it a few years, and I bet plenty of people will either be all "oh man, I can't believe I got rid of that movie", or "oh wow, I'm glad I didn't get rid of that", mostly because more and more movies/shows are disappearing from streaming services, and/or will never show up there, and/or the existing DVD/blu is long out of print. Like, you wanna watch HBO's Westworld? Hope you have the blu-ray, because HBO pulled it from Max. It's getting tougher and tougher to find movies (especially foreign, indie, older movies) on streaming. And if you have some favorites that are more obscure, it's worth having the blu, or at least not getting rid of it. But there's limits - no one needs a collection that takes up so much space it gets in the way of things.
Alan Smithee (05-01-24)
Old 05-01-24, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

I have a ton of laserdiscs I acquired used which make me think “I can’t believe someone got rid of this.”
Old 05-01-24, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tom Pennock (05-05-24)
Old 05-01-24, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It warmed my heart the other day to see a woman digging through the $5 DVD bin at Walmart. I remember when the bins would be swarmed when employees would dump new stock into them.
Old 05-01-24, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Every time I go to the used DVD shops, there's always people there. I'm always amused to see the older folks there with their hand written wish lists, looking for titles to take home and enjoy. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get through my backlog, being nearly 50 and all, but these guys are well above me in age and they're still collecting and watching. I think I'll be okay.
ntnon (05-08-24)
Old 05-04-24, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, the early years of DVD were a really interesting time. It was really lightning in a bottle that we'll probably never see again.

I think a lot of came down to Generation X... DVD was like a perfect storm for the generation raised on computers and CDs, most of grew up on VHS and our families never had laserdisc players, and DVD presented an opportunity for people in their twenties and thirties to start building up their on personal movie libraries. And we were always on the lookout for the next big gadget. It's not a coincidence that the iPod broke big around this time, too.

We "Boomers" were also major contributors as we could now watch things we grew up on again and actually own a copy that looks better than when it originally aired or was in the theaters. Loved TV series and movies that'd not been broadcast or shown anywhere in many, many, years. I own enough physical media to satisfy my needs for the rest of my life.
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Every time I go to the used DVD shops, there's always people there. I'm always amused to see the older folks there with their hand written wish lists, looking for titles to take home and enjoy. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get through my backlog, being nearly 50 and all, but these guys are well above me in age and they're still collecting and watching. I think I'll be okay.
I'm old enough to be your dad and am in that still collecting group. In spite of owning thousands of movies and hundreds of TV series I still purchase new titles and upgrades on a regular basis.
milo bloom (05-04-24)
Old 05-04-24, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The UHD sales are skewed by The Departed, The Abyss, and Nostalghia -- all in the top 10 -- which are anywhere from 97%-100% UHD. The week's #2 title is Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part II, which is 15% UHD.
Tom Pennock (05-05-24)
Old 05-06-24, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

One of the first people I met online in the mid-90s (never actually met him in person but talked to him a lot, sadly he died a few years ago) once said “There will never be anything as exciting as the first years of home video.” The first years of DVD kinda were though, as a lot of stuff that had either been out of print a long time or never issued at all was coming out in good quality.
Old 05-06-24, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
One of the first people I met online in the mid-90s (never actually met him in person but talked to him a lot, sadly he died a few years ago) once said “There will never be anything as exciting as the first years of home video.” The first years of DVD kinda were though, as a lot of stuff that had either been out of print a long time or never issued at all was coming out in good quality.
I would say the first years of DVD were *better* than the first years of home video simply because you could finally own films in very good quality at reasonable prices and didn't have to worry about the machine "eating" them. I wasn't enamored with tape like many people were as I worked in broadcasting and knew just how delicate those machines and tapes truly were - in spite of being very good for time-delay functions. While I did tons of "time shifting" and recorded a few series off air I only purchased a few prerecorded tapes and jumped into DVD with both feet.
Josh Z (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say the peak of home video for me were the Hi-Def format wars. Before the rise of Netflix as a streaming service, studios still hadn't shifted yet from the physical media paradigm. You had HD DVD versus BD with console wars making the issue even bigger for fans. DVD was definitely a revolution transitioning from VHS but nothing ever seemed in doubt with it.

Little did we know it all wouldn't really matter in the end.
Old 05-06-24, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I would say the first years of DVD were *better* than the first years of home video simply because you could finally own films in very good quality at reasonable prices and didn't have to worry about the machine "eating" them.
The very low prices of DVDs were the most important differentiator for most people, much more so than the quality (which was also significant). The VHS era was geared toward renting and favored the rental industry, while the DVD era was geared toward buying and favored collectors. Not only were all discs prices reasonably to own right out of the gate, most retailers practically gave them away for years as loss-leader items to get shoppers into their stores. Those were very heady times when movie fans would make a habit of going to Best Buy or Circuit City week after week and walking out with a fresh handful of discs every time.

There's never been anything comparable to it in this hobby, and never will be again.
kefrank (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 288 Likes on 239 Posts

I love the last few posts talking about the heady days of lining up to enter a store on new release Tuesdays.

It was always destined to fade as stores willingness to sustain the enthusiasm for buying DVDs (and blu rays) at loss leader prices had an eventual breaking point. Best Buy is of course infamous for admitting out loud that they loathed certain types of consumers, the "devil" consumer, lol.

Aka, the buyer who would sometimes buy as little as 1 dvd/blu ray and asked for a price match to match the price of a retailer selling the same title for as little as 50 cents less. If I was an employee having to deal with someone aggressively pushing for a price match to save 50 cents I would be hard pressed not to go all postal on such a consumer and would be glad a store discouraged such a consumer from coming back.

Granted, no one forced the store to implement a price match policy, but I get it....if the store metrics showed that the consumer who buys loss leader products week in and week out was pretty much not buying anything else the suits would be very unhappy and I never had the reaction of how dare Best Buy says they do not want my 12.99, I am going to now give it to Walmart, BB pretty much did not care if that was your reaction and said as much.

If you walked out of the store with a stack of DVDs that added up to less than 20.00, but the remainder of your purchase was for 1-2 items that put another $50-100 into BBs pockets they were much more appreciative of you as a consumer.

Having said all this, I want to reiterate that I love hearing stories from the golden years of buying DVDs.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 05-07-24 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-07-24, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 706 Posts

800.com
The following 3 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Josh Z (05-08-24), kefrank (05-07-24), PhantomStranger (05-10-24)
Old 05-08-24, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
800.com
As I recall, I ordered one of the James Bond box sets at a significant discount from 800.com when the franchise first hit DVD. They sent me two copies of the entire set by mistake. I emailed them about returning one and they told me to just keep it.

If I'm not mistaken, they announced they were going out of business shortly afterward. Probably everyone internally already had the news and were told to write off any inventory losses rather than deal with returns any longer.
Old 05-10-24, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Dotcom boom was a big boon to DVD's rapid rise. So many companies were willing to burn their venture capital which made a whole swath of Gen X collectors who started their collections on the cheap media prices.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.