Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 02-26-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Entertainment options are becoming so disposable that cultivating a collection of films and shows is slowly dying out
Sad, but true. It reminds me of my nephew about 10-15 years ago who looked at me whimsically and quizzically whenever I bought new CDs. Seems like the same trend is catching up with movies on disc.
Old 02-27-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

And speaking of the digital prices being equivalent to physical, VUDU actually has a bunch of UHD releases for $9.99 right now.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11313391-vu...o-ma-itunes-fn
Old 02-27-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
And speaking of the digital prices being equivalent to physical, VUDU actually has a bunch of UHD releases for $9.99 right now.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11313391-vu...o-ma-itunes-fn
I might pull the trigger on Blade Runner 2049 which I did not catch in theaters, as $9.99 for this film strikes me as a BF type digital deal for a movie of this caliber.
Old 02-27-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 03-04-18, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like Target is starting to shrink physical media as well. I went to a Target which is re-doing/re-building the stores layout and physical media (DVD and BD - No CDs anywhere) is about one aisle (just one side) long with a really nice LED lit square box with new releases. I'd estimate media was cut in half if not more. This particular Target is really big so I don't think floor space is an issue.
Old 03-04-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I heard that some Targets are doing the same with video games as well.
Old 03-07-18, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-07-18, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 20+ year run wasn't too bad. I'm sure this time next year the numbers will be even bleaker and B&M stores will either remove all, or most of their disc media and start following Walmart's plan that allows you to buy a card that has a code to download/stream the movie you want. I'm even seeing that Family Video has cards you can buy that has a code allowing you to stream (rent) a movie vs. getting a beat up disc, assuming it's even in stock.
Old 03-07-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Hollywood's plan to kill physical media sooner rather than later appears to be operating full steam ahead. I guess the introduction of Movies Anywhere, a digital movie system the big studios feel more comfortable with, is an inflection point in the market.

It's not a good sign for UHD that Blu-ray sales are already declining this much. Future UHD owners will almost come entirely from the pool of current Blu-ray owners. It's clear some Blu-ray owners are already converting to digital movies.
Old 03-07-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

12 Strong appears to not have a UHD release at this point. I wonder how long before a new movie release is digital only?
Old 03-07-18, 04:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
12 Strong appears to not have a UHD release at this point. I wonder how long before a new movie release is digital only?
good question - I know that for Sony's huge box office bomb, Roland Emmerich's "Stonewall" this just relegated it to DVD.
Old 03-07-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I wonder how long before a new movie release is digital only?
About the same time the broadcast network go online only and local channels become 24 hour news.

About the same time tvs are no longer made because everybody watches tv on their phone.
Old 03-07-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how long before a new movie release is digital only?
Originally Posted by rw2516
About the same time the broadcast network go online only and local channels become 24 hour news.

About the same time tvs are no longer made because everybody watches tv on their phone.
About the time this thread reaches 10,000 posts.
Old 03-07-18, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Declining space at retail for media seems to be having a pronounced effect on sales.
I definitely agree.

Though I think that having DVD, Blu-ray and 4K all on the shelf at the same time is making it that much worse. The more of the increasingly precious spots being taken up by Thor: Ragnarok or any other hot title, then the fewer spaces that are left for the B and C titles on those shelves.

We're stuck with all 3 formats because DVD sells the most and a lot of titles are not available on any other format. But neither are they getting rid of Blu-ray. Yet 4K continues to get pushed as well for those who want that.

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Entertainment options are becoming so disposable that cultivating a collection of films and shows is slowly dying out
A great point too.
Old 03-07-18, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I definitely agree.

Though I think that having DVD, Blu-ray and 4K all on the shelf at the same time is making it that much worse. The more of the increasingly precious spots being taken up by Thor: Ragnarok or any other hot title, then the fewer spaces that are left for the B and C titles on those shelves.

We're stuck with all 3 formats because DVD sells the most and a lot of titles are not available on any other format. But neither are they getting rid of Blu-ray. Yet 4K continues to get pushed as well for those who want that.

Agreed. The introduction of 4K has definitely sped up the process of killing off physical media because of this reason.

Since 4K is such a niche format, studios should've never put out discs for them and kept them as streaming exclusives, leaving Blu-Ray as the last physical format.

I've seen those huge displays with cards for digital films at Walmart and laughed. $19.96 for a digital code? It's so easy to find films online for free. Not to mention eventually on subscription services like Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 03-07-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Not surprising. At this point it seems like half the new releases aren't getting the UHD treatment.
Old 03-07-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rjh_54
I've seen those huge displays with cards for digital films at Walmart and laughed. $19.96 for a digital code? It's so easy to find films online for free. Not to mention eventually on subscription services like Netflix, Hulu, etc.
I know, right? I was shocked at the prices that were in that photo posted up-thread. $65 for digital codes of Breaking Bad when there are umpteen other ways to watch it? They need to get creative with their pricing if they want to sell digital codes over physical, or else people will just go to the torrent sites or their Kodi device.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
This is from a Wal-Mart:
Old 03-07-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Not surprising. At this point it seems like half the new releases aren't getting the UHD treatment.
I wish it were half. :-/

I use High Def Digest's release date lists as a reference, and comparing the weekly Blu-ray list with the weekly Ultra HD Blu-ray list kind of bowls me over.
Old 03-07-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

I use High Def Digest's release date lists as a reference, and comparing the weekly Blu-ray list with the weekly Ultra HD Blu-ray list kind of bowls me over.
Not a fair comparison since over half of those Blu-ray releases are reissues or duplicate SKUs. Still well less than half, but really what were people expecting? Did anyone think we would get as much catalog on UHD as we have seen so far?(announced and released).
Old 03-07-18, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I know, right? I was shocked at the prices that were in that photo posted up-thread. $65 for digital codes of Breaking Bad when there are umpteen other ways to watch it? They need to get creative with their pricing if they want to sell digital codes over physical, or else people will just go to the torrent sites or their Kodi device.
I feel the pricing structure on digital is completely out of whack.

Some catalogue titles demand $15-20 price tags, and tv shows for the most part seem over priced. Granted you get sales but I feel like it's only certain shows, and I feel like certain studios ( I'm looking at you WB) have this floor where they won't drop below 9.99. Keep in mind I look and do most purchases on iTunes
Old 03-07-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I know that for Sony's huge box office bomb, Roland Emmerich's "Stonewall" this just relegated it to DVD.
Sony is insane- they INVENTED the friggin' Blu-Ray format, but I just knew they'd do something to mess it up, just like they messed up DVD (before Blu-Ray came out) when they reissued a ton of movies with only the pan and scan versions included. They've had a few B-titles out (like Space Station 76) that I would've bought on Blu-Ray, but not on regular DVD- I just rented that one time on "digital" and left it at that. I've heard they're thinking of selling the movie division though so that'll be interesting if that happens. Mill Creek has been doing a better job with their catalog lately anyways. When Sony first bought Columbia Pictures they still had a chance to use it to save their Beta format with it, but didn't.
Old 03-07-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Well I was referring to newly released movies, not older movies... so it won't look nearly as bad.

But just off the top of my head, these are relatively new titles (or upcoming) that didn't/won't get a UHD release: Florida Project, I Tonya, Disaster Artist, Phantom Thread, Roman J. Israel ESQ, Only The Brave, Suburbicon, Last Flag Flying, Geostorm, etc.

We're 2 years into UHD-BD and I don't remember BD being avoided as often for day/date releases at the same time in it's life.
Old 03-07-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how many copies they need to sell to make a run worthwhile? With the numbers so low, I'm frankly surprised we've seen as many titles as we have.
Old 03-08-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Not a fair comparison since over half of those Blu-ray releases are reissues or duplicate SKUs. Still well less than half, but really what were people expecting? Did anyone think we would get as much catalog on UHD as we have seen so far?(announced and released).
A handful of releases a week is still very weak output though, no? And still well below the release number for blue ray.
Old 03-08-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
A handful of releases a week is still very weak output though, no? And still well below the release number for blue ray.
Nothing unexpected though, except perhaps for more catalog releases than was thought just prior to the format's launch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.