Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Pricing is still a huge factor. There are rarely sales where 4K discs hit $10, yet it's pretty common for blu Ray's to hit $5 to $10 all the time, which seems to be the price range most people are comfortable with.
Old 08-11-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
One "rule" I'm trying to stick to: if a movie I already have on Blu-ray is reissued with a 4K master, I won't buy it again until it's out on Ultra HD Blu-ray. This means no to Blue Underground's upcoming Zombie remaster, no to Arrow's Killer Klowns from Outer Space, no to Scream Factory's re-reissued The Thing, etc. However, I will pick up something like, say, Ocean Waves, a Studio Ghibli title recently restored in 4K, or Under Capricorn, since I don't already own it and have zero expectation of a UHD BD release anytime soon.
I use a similar argument ^ as this, largely as an easy way of tricking myself into NOT buying a particular title on dvd or bluray. I keep a mental list of which older catalog titles are being re-released on 4Kbluray, also largely as a guide of "what NOT to buy".

(For reasons I don't understand yet, this ^ mindfuck argument is only effective for 4K for me. It doesn't seem to work at all for me, if I'm guessing a title only has a convention generic 2K HD transfer available).

With many current/recent titles now having 4K transfers from the start, it makes it very easy to NOT buy anything on dvd/bluray/4Kbluray that is current.

Doing this ^ mindfuck on myself over the past few years as a way of "squelching" my cd/dvd/bluray OCD compulsive completionist collecting mindset, it turns out I end up watching many of these recent/current movies when they eventually show up on basic cable channels (such as Marvel movies). In the end, it turns out many of the 4Kbluray releases are movies which have no replay value for me. I end up only watching them once or twice on basic cable channels.

In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't waste any cash/effort on 4Kbluray titles which turned out to be mediocre movies with very little to no replay value for me.
Old 08-11-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Pricing is still a huge factor. There are rarely sales where 4K discs hit $10, yet it's pretty common for blu Ray's to hit $5 to $10 all the time, which seems to be the price range most people are comfortable with.
I'm not sure if we'll see 4K follow the predictable sales strategies that may have worked for DVD and Blu-ray. I don't think there's any illusion among the studios and distributors that 4K will reach anywhere near the sales figures that DVD and Blu-ray did, no matter how cheap you price it.

Much like 3D Blu-ray, I don't think you'll see them in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart or players selling for $49. I think they'll leave it as a high-margin/low volume format aimed at the collectors.

After 12 years of selling side-by-side with Blu-ray, DVD still does a very good volume and I don't see it going anywhere. The format is too ingrained in the marketplace.

A lot of DVD buyers are still intimidated by downloading/streaming with not having the technological know-how, passing their credit card numbers to strange websites, fear of not reading the fine print and finding themselves obligated or "signed-up" for something they don't want.

That unknown factor is a definite deterrent for a lot of older consumers which will cause them to stick with what they know and trust; going to a store and buying a disc that plays in a machine they are familiar with.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 08-11-18 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Fixing quoting typo
Old 08-11-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
One "rule" I'm trying to stick to: if a movie I already have on Blu-ray is reissued with a 4K master, I won't buy it again until it's out on Ultra HD Blu-ray. This means no to Blue Underground's upcoming Zombie remaster, no to Arrow's Killer Klowns from Outer Space, no to Scream Factory's re-reissued The Thing, etc. However, I will pick up something like, say, Ocean Waves, a Studio Ghibli title recently restored in 4K, or Under Capricorn, since I don't already own it and have zero expectation of a UHD BD release anytime soon.
I remember trying to apply a bunch of rules for Blu-ray when I decided to switch but most of it went out the window. Things like "If the DVD I already have is mastered in High-Def, I don't need the Blu-ray" etc.

Once Blu-rays were randomly found for $1-$4 on the used market, it was hard not the buy them. I have lots of titles I wish I never saw on the cheap because for a couple bucks I could retire the old DVD... except the DVD had more extras and cool packaging that the Blu-ray didn't have. The insanity ensues.

I already have about ten 4K UHD titles that I bought for cheap on the used market simply because they had the Blu-ray as well. I respect the advancements of the 4K format but I just don't want to get a 4K player or a 4K TV and start the cycle again.
Old 08-11-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Much like 3D Blu-ray, I don't think you'll see them in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart or players selling for $49.
Believe it or not, some Walmart locations had the LG UP870 for $49. At least one went down to $25 (!). But I get that that's a rare exception.
Old 08-11-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW, I'm happy with 1080p and 5.1 surround. My set up still works great, and I have no interest in upgrading at present. At some point, enough is enough.
Old 08-11-18, 08:26 PM

A lot of DVD buyers are still intimidated by downloading/streaming with not having the technological know-how, passing their credit card numbers to strange websites, fear of not reading the fine print and finding themselves obligated or "signed-up" for something they don't want.

That unknown factor is a definite deterrent for a lot of older consumers which will cause them to stick with what they know and trust; going to a store and buying a disc that plays in a machine they are familiar with.
Another possiblity is cable tv companies offering VOD/streaming services over the cable line. They show up as additional fees on the monthly cable bills (ie. something familiar looking).
Old 08-11-18, 08:30 PM

I remember trying to apply a bunch of rules for Blu-ray when I decided to switch but most of it went out the window. Things like "If the DVD I already have is mastered in High-Def, I don't need the Blu-ray" etc.

Once Blu-rays were randomly found for $1-$4 on the used market, it was hard not the buy them. I have lots of titles I wish I never saw on the cheap because for a couple bucks I could retire the old DVD... except the DVD had more extras and cool packaging that the Blu-ray didn't have. The insanity ensues.

I already have about ten 4K UHD titles that I bought for cheap on the used market simply because they had the Blu-ray as well. I respect the advancements of the 4K format but I just don't want to get a 4K player or a 4K TV and start the cycle again.
The only way I've been able to keep such "insanity" in check, was completely abstinence.

Basically I don't walk through the dvd/bluray section anymore at nearby retailers.

This is the only way I've been able to get around this "problem". All other previous methods I tried, were complete utter failures for me.
Old 08-11-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Another possiblity is cable tv companies offering VOD/streaming services over the cable line. They show up as additional fees on the monthly cable bills (ie. something familiar looking).
With most cable companies charging between $4-$7 per title with a mere press of a button it's easy to get that sticker-shock at the end of the month when you find that you owe another $50-$60 for several movies you've probably forgotten about.

If you spend the same amount on discs, at least you have something tangible in your hand at the end of the month.
Old 08-12-18, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

With most cable companies charging between $4-$7 per title with a mere press of a button it's easy to get that sticker-shock at the end of the month when you find that you owe another $50-$60 for several movies you've probably forgotten about.

If you spend the same amount on discs, at least you have something tangible in your hand at the end of the month.
I think all the individual streaming services will end up on cable eventually. Just like premium channels. You can already stream Netflix through the cable box. Others will follow.
Old 08-12-18, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With Family Video a few miles down the road, it's pretty easy for me to grab a couple titles on Friday afternoon and I have them until Wednesday. I know a lot of people who get that bill with 6 - 10 movies at $5.99 on them then bitch at the cable company. The rentals are half of that and because it's change out of my pocket, no sticker shock all at once. I'm enjoying the 4K format but the days of owning everything and anything are long gone. For everything I buy I pull an old one off the shelf and donate it. So I'm still old fashioned in terms of preferring a tangible media but hate having shelves and shelves of dust collectors.
Old 08-13-18, 08:08 AM

Once Blu-rays were randomly found for $1-$4 on the used market, it was hard not the buy them.
$1/$2 dump bin stuff is pretty much what ruins any and all "rules" I've ever had for selectively buying cd/dvd/bluray titles in a strict manner. With the exception of total abstinence, such buying "rules" only really worked if cd/dvd/bluray titles were still priced at regular or sky high prices (ie. over $10-$20 a pop).

I don't know about other folks, but I find I have very little to no self-discipline when it comes to dump bins for cds/dvds/blurays. This is the primary reason why I currently don't walk through any cd/dvd/bluray sections at any nearby offline retailers, especially when there exists $5 (or less) dump bins.

The only way to keep the insanity in check, is to never have it triggered at all in the first place. Basically for me, this means complete abstinence.
Old 09-03-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

FYI:

Old 09-03-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Interesting numbers, UHD is actually doing a little better than I suspected. The UHD sales have helped those figures.
Old 09-03-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

People wanting major releases like Infinity War and Deadpool 2 in 4K probably helps.
Old 09-04-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be interesting to see how the formats split among a single title such as Deadpool 2.

I'm guessing the percentage of 4K Deadpool 2 would be higher than the 12.2% overall figure.
Old 09-04-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

It would be interesting to see how the formats split among a single title such as Deadpool 2.

I'm guessing the percentage of 4K Deadpool 2 would be higher than the 12.2% overall figure.
Week 1 Deadpool 2 unit sales:

UHD 17%
Blu-ray 59%
DVD 24%

Week 1 Avengers Infinity Wars:

UHD 19%
Blu-ray 57%
DVD 24%
Old 09-04-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bruceames

UHD 17%
Blu-ray 59%
DVD 24%

UHD 19%
Blu-ray 57%
DVD 24%
That's actually pretty good for a format in which a decent player is still north of $200, at least in Canada.
Old 09-04-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruceames

UHD 17%
Blu-ray 59%
DVD 24%

UHD 19%
Blu-ray 57%
DVD 24%
I do not have a 4K HDTV yet, but I have been buying my new "Action" movies in 4K/BR combo packages...this way I can have my NEW Favorite movies 4K ready when I finally buy my first 4K TV.
Old 09-04-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 09-05-18, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Well, good to see regular DVD sinking. With stores reducing space for media, it would be nice if so much of it wasn't wasted on DVDs that are already on Blu-Ray and/or 4K.
Old 09-05-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Blu-ray/UHD up to 45% revenue share this year. I'm sure next year DVD will be finally less than 50% since DVD's decline rate is accelerating (down 20% this year vs. the norm of 15%).
Old 09-05-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Regular movie fans are largely giving up on DVD now that streaming is becoming more mainstream. Streaming has really started eating into the bottom of the market. Collectors have all migrated to UHD/BD by this point.
Old 09-05-18, 04:21 PM

Wonder what % of the dvd versions were library or other "institutional" purchases?
Old 09-18-18, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Regular movie fans are largely giving up on DVD now that streaming is becoming more mainstream. Streaming has really started eating into the bottom of the market. Collectors have all migrated to UHD/BD by this point.
Has that translated yet into reduced DVD releases? I remember they were still releasing hundreds of dvds weekly, even if many of those titles moved few discs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.