Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 07-11-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,496 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Like I said last month, there is nothing on the market right now which would help spike sales.

Once Avengers: Infinity War, Jurassic World 2, Mission Impossible: Fallout and Ant man and the Wasp start coming out to 4K UHD, BD and such, expect some spikes in sales IMO.

A Quiet Place is out this week, but I don't think that movie has a lot of mainstream replay value to be a big seller. I don't think most are dying to spend $25 for the 4K UHD for it right now. On the other hand, Avengers will get people to spend premium money on all formats.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-11-18 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

It's difficult to get into 4K when you have $5 Blu-rays.
The following users liked this post:
Tom Pennock (02-02-23)
Old 07-11-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
It's difficult to get into 4K when you have $5 Blu-rays.
Was the same story with DVD and Blu-ray. If you have the setup to do full justice to the new format then it's not so difficult.
Old 07-11-18, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Was the same story with DVD and Blu-ray. If you have the setup to do full justice to the new format then it's not so difficult.
True but I think the switch from DVD to Blu-ray was a little more satisfying as it involved buying a sleek-looking thin HDTV while retiring that heavy, boxy-looking CRT TV.

I think the home video revolution has just about played itself out. People just see it as throwing more money at less "WOW!" each time.
Old 07-12-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,360 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
True but I think the switch from DVD to Blu-ray was a little more satisfying as it involved buying a sleek-looking thin HDTV while retiring that heavy, boxy-looking CRT TV.

I think the home video revolution has just about played itself out. People just see it as throwing more money at less "WOW!" each time.
Yeah, if you graphed out the "increase in quality" of home video improvements over the last few decades, it would be pretty steep until you get to DVD/Blu. DVD was a noticeable improvement over VHS to even the most unobservant viewer, but a really good DVD still looks good to many people now, and 4k may as well be a marketing scam in their eyes.

At this point, the studios need to focus on things like the niche titles that were ignored for years or stuff like the Extended Superman disc and the upcoming Supergirl release.
Old 07-12-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
At this point, the studios need to focus on things like the niche titles that were ignored for years or stuff like the Extended Superman disc and the upcoming Supergirl release.
We live in a world in which Roman Holiday is still not on Blu-ray too.
Old 07-12-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yeah, if you graphed out the "increase in quality" of home video improvements over the last few decades, it would be pretty steep until you get to DVD/Blu. DVD was a noticeable improvement over VHS to even the most unobservant viewer, but a really good DVD still looks good to many people now, and 4k may as well be a marketing scam in their eyes.
VHS - DVD revolution
DVD - BR evolution
BR - 4K tweak
Old 07-13-18, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Was DVD really that big of a quality upgrade over VHS? I mean, comparing a pristine VHS to a DVD anyway. I thought it was more the convenience of DVD (no rewinding, ability to skip around easily), and the fact that DVD didn't degrade over time, that pushed the average person to it.
Old 07-13-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Was DVD really that big of a quality upgrade over VHS? I mean, comparing a pristine VHS to a DVD anyway. I thought it was more the convenience of DVD (no rewinding, ability to skip around easily), and the fact that DVD didn't degrade over time, that pushed the average person to it.
Correct aspect ratio and extras, mostly all those extras, were kind of a big deal too. Add that all up, and everything since is not as big a jump as DVD was from VHS.
Old 07-13-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Correct aspect ratio and extras, mostly all those extras, were kind of a big deal too. Add that all up, and everything since is not as big a jump as DVD was from VHS.
Plus the DD 5.1 then DTS were light years ahead of any HT sound VHS was putting out.
Old 07-13-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,360 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
VHS degraded with each use. Even if it started out pristine, it quickly started to wear.
And early DVDs may not have always been much better looking than VHS, but after a couple years the studios figured out the compression routines and now a well mastered DVD can almost look as good as Bluray.
Old 07-13-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having the content stored on a CD-sized disc and having all of the functionality and portability that people loved about CD was huge.

D-VHS came out about the same time as DVD and was the first commercial format to offer High-Def but it was a tape and people didn't want clunky tapes anymore. Not to mention TVs that offered HD were quite expensive at that time.
Old 07-13-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Laserdiscs were out for YEARS before DVD and had many of its features earlier too- though size wasn't one of them.

I have a D-VHS player, it looks FAR better than DVD but it was obvious from the beginning that holding onto tape wasn't the way to go.
Old 07-13-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The difference in that era between VHS and DVD is night and day. I've never seen a VHS that looked so pristine near a DVD.

Now today when we look at DVD it looks like VHS
Old 08-05-18, 02:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This number is growing fast:

NPD: 17% of U.S. Video Consumers Watch Only SVOD

According to NPD’s “Entertainment Trends in America” report, 17% of consumers have abandoned the purchase or rental of content in physical or digital formats, up from 11% in 2017.
Looking like home video really is headed the way music has, where more and more people are streaming and not buying either physical or digital.

This would also imply a shift towards Blu-ray/UHD in the physical home video sales mix as, presumably, it's DVD buyers who are more likely to switch exclusively to streaming.
Old 08-08-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 08-10-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flipping through the latest Best Buy flyer I've noticed they have a 4K UHD section promoting Avengers: Infinity War and they have a separate photo for the DVD with the price.

The Blu-ray? It's just written in small text with the price.

It seems they're pushing the 4K and the DVD with Blu-ray having the least focus.
Old 08-10-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 242 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Flipping through the latest Best Buy flyer I've noticed they have a 4K UHD section promoting Avengers: Infinity War and they have a separate photo for the DVD with the price.

The Blu-ray? It's just written in small text with the price.

It seems they're pushing the 4K and the DVD with Blu-ray having the least focus.
Studios and retailers have come to the consensus that:

1. The market for physical has pretty much settled into hardcore enthusiasts and hobbyists.
2. Those interested in physical media want the highest quality available. There is zero interest in BD when 4K UHD is available. Those buying BD are doing so because they haven't made the inevitable switch, which they will do, for economic reasons.
3. Preferring to own physical media in a format less than the best available is not part of the marketing strategy for media. It's considered eccentric.

The same thing is going on with music. Labels, artists and retailers have determined that if someone is going to buy a physical copy, they are going to buy vinyl. Artist catalogs are being deleted on cd and released on vinyl only.
Old 08-11-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Those buying BD are doing so because they haven't made the inevitable switch, which they will do, for economic reasons.
This may sound completely counterintutive or oxymoronic, but this ^ is exactly what I'm counting on as a way of further "squelching" my OCD compulsive completionist collecting of cds/dvds/blurays mindset. Basically I'm aiming to eventually jump off the OCD cd/dvd/bluray collecting treadmill completely.

Basically I'm compiling a mental list of 4Kbluray titles, largely as a guide of "what NOT to buy".

The "fight fire with fire" mindfuck I'm playing on myself is to fool my OCD into chasing after its own tail, so that I don't end up buying much of anything on cd/dvd/bluray. So in regard to 4Kbluray, I keep this mental list of 4Kbluray titles so that I know what NOT to buy, in the event that one day I might eventually pick up a 4Kbluray player. On the other side of the coin, as long as I'm able to resist all temptation and NOT buy any 4Kbluray players, then this feedback loop will forever prevent me from ever buying any 4Kbluray titles. (This also includes computer 4Kbluray drives).

In the event that 4Kbluray dominates and the normal bluray is dumped entirely by the movie companies for new releases of action/superhero/scifi movies, then there is nothing to buy anymore other than the dvd version.

(There's further tricks to "squelch" any further OCD compulsive buying of dvds).
Old 08-11-18, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

My Blu-ray purchases still far, far outpace Ultra HD Blu-ray. Even after two and a half years, there's still just not that much coming out on UHD BD, and it's still not a given that even new theatrical releases will get a release. If UHD BD ever becomes standard for labels like Kino Lorber Studio Classics (whose first 4K title is right around the corner, admittedly), Criterion, Arrow, Scream Factory, etc., that would certainly change.

One "rule" I'm trying to stick to: if a movie I already have on Blu-ray is reissued with a 4K master, I won't buy it again until it's out on Ultra HD Blu-ray. This means no to Blue Underground's upcoming Zombie remaster, no to Arrow's Killer Klowns from Outer Space, no to Scream Factory's re-reissued The Thing, etc. However, I will pick up something like, say, Ocean Waves, a Studio Ghibli title recently restored in 4K, or Under Capricorn, since I don't already own it and have zero expectation of a UHD BD release anytime soon.
Old 08-11-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 242 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
My Blu-ray purchases still far, far outpace Ultra HD Blu-ray. Even after two and a half years, there's still just not that much coming out on UHD BD, and it's still not a given that even new theatrical releases will get a release. If UHD BD ever becomes standard for labels like Kino Lorber Studio Classics (whose first 4K title is right around the corner, admittedly), Criterion, Arrow, Scream Factory, etc., that would certainly change.

One "rule" I'm trying to stick to: if a movie I already have on Blu-ray is reissued with a 4K master, I won't buy it again until it's out on Ultra HD Blu-ray. This means no to Blue Underground's upcoming Zombie remaster, no to Arrow's Killer Klowns from Outer Space, no to Scream Factory's re-reissued The Thing, etc. However, I will pick up something like, say, Ocean Waves, a Studio Ghibli title recently restored in 4K, or Under Capricorn, since I don't already own it and have zero expectation of a UHD BD release anytime soon.
But if UHD is available you purchase it over regular BD correct? That is how I believe the studios and retailers are viewing the market going forward. BD will be for catalog titles and those that haven't upgraded but want to.
A consumer who actually prefers BD or UHD for whatever reason, is considered eccentric and doesn't figure into marketing decisions.
Old 08-11-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by rw2516
But if UHD is available you purchase it over regular BD correct?
Yes.

It's a boring outlook, but I'm expecting the trajectories to pretty much stick to where they're heading now. DVD will suffer the steepest decline, as that market will shift more rapidly towards VOD/streaming. Blu-ray will wind up with most of the market that's left, though it'll decline in terms of absolute numbers. Ultra HD Blu-ray will grow and be reasonably healthy, although it won't ever be dominant and will primarily be a new releases + top-end catalog format. It'll never have anything remotely close to the depth that Blu-ray's library has.

I'd love to be wrong and for UHD BD to be a colossal success, though! I do think it's more likely that DVD will fade away and Blu-ray will become the new "low-end" rather than Blu-ray getting cut out of the market.
Old 08-11-18, 12:06 PM

Yes.

It's a boring outlook, but I'm expecting the trajectories to pretty much stick to where they're heading now. DVD will suffer the steepest decline, as that market will shift more rapidly towards VOD/streaming. Blu-ray will wind up with most of the market that's left, though it'll decline in terms of absolute numbers. Ultra HD Blu-ray will grow and be reasonably healthy, although it won't ever be dominant and will primarily be a new releases + top-end catalog format. It'll never have anything remotely close to the depth that Blu-ray's library has.

I'd love to be wrong and for UHD BD to be a colossal success, though! I do think it's more likely that DVD will fade away and Blu-ray will become the new "low-end" rather than Blu-ray getting cut out of the market.

As much as I would like to believe this ^ might possibly be the trajectory going forward, I still have definite contingency plans for dealing with a possible scenario of dvd becoming the "cockroach" of the movie optical disc market. Especially with some movie companies dropping bluray releases almost entirely and releasing new stuff as dvd-only, such as Cinedigm, tv shows, etc ...
Old 08-11-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Especially with some movie companies dropping bluray releases almost entirely and releasing new stuff as dvd-only, such as Cinedigm, tv shows, etc ...
Yeah. Honestly, one of the reasons I don't review nearly as often as I used to is that a lot of what I'd write about just stopped coming out on Blu-ray. New, weird horror movies go DVD, VOD, and streaming, but it's a wasteland on Blu-ray.

I might not have worded that earlier post as well as I should've, but I'm not saying I think DVD will cease to be a thing (although I do think it'll continue to decline far faster than Blu-ray will). If there were a scenario where one format were to vanish and I had to guess which one, I'd pick DVD over Blu-ray, but I don't actually think either are going anywhere.
Old 08-11-18, 12:39 PM

Yeah. Honestly, one of the reasons I don't review nearly as often as I used to is that a lot of what I'd write about just stopped coming out on Blu-ray. New, weird horror movies go DVD, VOD, and streaming, but it's a wasteland on Blu-ray.
Same here.

My personal weakness is lousy scifi movies produced by bottom feeder movie companies. (Also some lousy action and other genre type stuff). This sort of stuff doesn't seem to be released on bluray anymore either.

I first noticed this discontinuation of bluray in The Asylum's catalog several years ago, where their then-current cheesy shark movies were not being released on bluray anymore (except for the Sharknado franchise).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.