Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
re: Star Wars

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=610227518001&playerID=43615479001&playerKey=AQ%2E%2E,AAAAABZ6q28%2E,ICeYm0MFe8ZqLlzTZFcx8sO4GMumstiu&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="537" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>
Old 09-25-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=610227518001&playerID=43615479001&playerKey=AQ%2E%2E,AAAAABZ6q28%2E,ICeYm0MFe8ZqLlzTZFcx8sO4GMumstiu&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="537" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>
Things are getting out of hand with the online advertising. I'd like to see this probably amusing little video made by a fan, but I've sat through enough commercials in my life, so I'm bailing.
Old 09-25-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Things are getting out of hand with the online advertising. I'd like to see this probably amusing little video made by a fan, but I've sat through enough commercials in my life, so I'm bailing.
And the amount of time it took you to write this post is about the same amount of time it would have taken to wait for the ad to play.

Oh and by the way, the video wasn't really that funny.
Old 09-25-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

The video didn't even have any ads.
Old 09-25-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Watched first 15 seconds....that was enough.
Old 09-26-10, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The video didn't even have any ads.
Yes, it does.
Old 09-26-10, 09:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It didn't have an ad when I first watched it also. When I tried it a second time, a diet coke ad started up. I think it's random like YouTube.
Old 09-27-10, 10:35 AM
Cool New Member

that explains my cravings for a diet soda...
Old 09-28-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well its official the star wars saga is comming to theatres in 3D starting early 2012.
They are being released in Order with Episode 1 first and everything wrapping up early 2017 with Return of The Jedi.
assuming that episode 1 makes money.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...92835d50e86a3a

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
"Star Wars"

Big news on the 3D front.

Sources indicate that George Lucas is set to re-release the entire "Star Wars" franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Though the 3D versions have been rumored for some time, Lucas was purportedly waiting until there were enough 3D screens available to make the release a sizable enough event.

Fox, which released all six of the original "Star Wars" films, would also release the 3D versions.

Part 1, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock in the early months of 2012. After that, each of the films would be released in order at the same time each consecutive year, depending on how well the first re-release does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas personally overseeing the process to make sure each one is as perfected as possible. Lucas has said that the "Avatar" experience convinced him that "Star Wars" was ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.

Also pushing the timetable is a potential breakthrough in 3D television technology. With Samsung penetrating the market with 50,000-plus 3D-equipped televisions, and Sony planning to send its version to market in the coming months, the home-viewing experience could be primed for 3D DVD versions of the classic films by the time the new 3D series runs its course.

Lucas is purportedly queuing up the theatrical re-releases as a lead-in to the ultimate home viewing experience. Beyond that, the property would launch to all other 3D media.
Old 09-28-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Based on the sucess of Phantom Menace....so I'm guessing we shouldn't expect to see the rest then?
Old 09-28-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Please let there be an option for 2-D screenings!
Old 09-28-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lucas has said that the "Avatar" experience convinced him that "Star Wars" was ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.
Hey George, the "state-of-the-art 3D treatment" is shooting the movie in 3D in the first place.
Old 09-28-10, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
Please let there be an option for 2-D screenings!
The whole point is releasing it in 3D. I think the chances of 2D screenings would be nil to zero.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what kind of interest a re-release of the Prequels will generate.
Old 09-28-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Based on the sucess of Phantom Menace....so I'm guessing we shouldn't expect to see the rest then?
I think the 400 plus million phantom menace made at the box office its inital run, would beg to differ.
Old 09-28-10, 10:34 PM

I think the 400 plus million phantom menace made at the box office its inital run, would beg to differ.
To be fair, it was riding high on nearly 20 years of hype.

Plus you know. Denial, then anger, etc.
Old 09-28-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait.. is that the sound of a double-dip I hear... because the blu-rays are coming in 2011, but the theatrical re-releases starting in 2012 are supposed to lead in to the "ultimate home viewing experience"... what does that mean? What is the ultimate home viewing experience?
Old 09-29-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait.. is that the sound of a double-dip I hear... because the blu-rays are coming in 2011, but the theatrical re-releases starting in 2012 are supposed to lead in to the "ultimate home viewing experience"... what does that mean? What is the ultimate home viewing experience?
That sound you hear is a set of the whole saga on 4K Disc™ in 2018!
Old 09-29-10, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well seeing as how 2017 is when the last one hits the theatres its not like its being double dipped right away. I would imagine he means the ultimate home viewing experience is having them in 3D.
not that alot of you would consider that the ultimate home experience.

and for all we know next years release might be the final time the special editions in their current state are availble. lol
Old 09-29-10, 02:08 AM

3DTVs will be easily affordable and widely avaialble by 2017, I doubt by then that 3D would be an "experience" it would just be starting to be the new norm.
Old 09-29-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

well its official the star wars saga is comming to theatres in 3D starting early 2012.
They are being released in Order with Episode 1 first and everything wrapping up early 2017 with Return of The Jedi.
assuming that episode 1 makes money.
So in other words it should read... "the Star Wars Saga is coming to theaters in 3D starting early 2015."

Old 09-29-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Labor
To be fair, it was riding high on nearly 20 years of hype.

Plus you know. Denial, then anger, etc.
It also sold really well on DVD. Not to mention both sequels were blockbusters. It may not seem like a popular opinion but the the prequels are popular.

It's going to make money on this re-release and there's no point denying it.

Personally I do not think I'll see any of them. The 3D conversion process doesn't really interest me.
Old 09-29-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemmy
No interest at all in seeing the "Sag-uhhh" in 3D. In fact, I think it's awfully deluded of George to think that he can re-release them in numerical order to theaters and expect a windfall again....pretty much no one would see Eps 1 & 2; some may go see 3; and yes, there would still be an audience for 4 and 5, and most likely, 6....but it's not going to be the "box office smash" that GL is hoping for again.
I have no interest, but kids seems to like the newer trilogy, it will make money.
Old 09-29-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Seems so far away. And the fact I will be almost 40 by the time Jedi hits...

Id rather see the energy devoted to 7-9, Dark Empire, Heir to the Empire, anything with the original cast at their current age.
Old 09-29-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
I have no interest, but kids seems to like the newer trilogy, it will make money.
Once upon a time, grown-ups said things like, "I have no interest, but kids seem to like these Star Wars movies." It's amusing that so many worship the original trilogy but deride the prequels as "kiddie fare."

My only problem with the 3D release is that I'm just not terribly excited about the retroactive conversion. That said, if anyone in the industry has the will (and resources) to make it work, it's George Lucas. I'll give it a go, though with my unpredictable guts I may not make it to any midnight openings like I'd prefer.

I'm kind of surprised to see the annual release schedule instead of something like the monthly, limited engagements of the OT SEs in 1997. I know there are more 3D projects than screens right now, but I would think that 1) even in re-release, Star Wars has a leg up on most competition and 2) 3D screens are constantly going into service; shouldn't there be sufficient "real estate" for at least one release every six months starting in 2012?
Old 09-29-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop
It also sold really well on DVD. Not to mention both sequels were blockbusters. It may not seem like a popular opinion but the the prequels are popular.

It's going to make money on this re-release and there's no point denying it.
They may be popular, but there's little chance these 3D re-releases are going to gross as much as the 1997 SEs did.

Avatar is the highest grossing film ever, but its SE re-release has so for grossed an anemic $10 mil:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ialedition.htm

The Toy Story 1 & 2 3D re-release last year grossed only $32 mil:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=toystory3d.htm

The next highest-profile re-release before that was probably E.T back in 2002, which grossed about $35 mil:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...&id=et20th.htm

Re-releases are seeing diminishing returns, especially as home video has improved over the decades. Back in 1997, most people had only seen Star Wars at home via P&S broadcast or VHS, with only stereo sound. Now there's the OAR surround-sound DVD releases, and soon Blu-ray.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Once upon a time, grown-ups said things like, "I have no interest, but kids seem to like these Star Wars movies." It's amusing that so many worship the original trilogy but deride the prequels as "kiddie fare."
The originals may or may not be "kiddie fare," but if they are, they're kiddie fair of much higher quality that I can still enjoy as an adult. It's like the difference between Pixar films and the Shrek series.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'm kind of surprised to see the annual release schedule instead of something like the monthly, limited engagements of the OT SEs in 1997. I know there are more 3D projects than screens right now, but I would think that 1) even in re-release, Star Wars has a leg up on most competition and 2) 3D screens are constantly going into service; shouldn't there be sufficient "real estate" for at least one release every six months starting in 2012?
The 1997 SEs saw diminishing returns with each film. Star Wars SE grossed $138 mil, while Empire grossed less than half that, at $67 mil. Jedi grossed only $45 million. It's possible the year-long gaps are designed to let fan interest regenerate after each release, instead of quickly exhausting interest.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...=starwars4.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...=starwars5.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...=starwars6.htm

Also, you may be overestimating the speed at which these 3D conversions can be done at, especially if you want a quality job done. If the films were released closer together, it could mean having to push the release date of the first film back a few years, to say 2015 instead of 2012.

Last edited by Jay G.; 09-29-10 at 10:51 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.