Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Star Wars

You know, short of remaking Episodes 4, 5, and 6 altogether, why doesn’t Lucas just go back to his principle photography footage and re-cut the Original Trilogy entirely? New cut, new visual effects, new sound effects, newly recorded soundtrack, etc. (..although I figure this might be easier said than done.)

I watched the Special Editions on DVD just a few weeks ago, and I still find myself thinking that the newly added digital effects in Episode IV stand in stark contrast to the rest of the movie and by no means complement the overall “tone” of the film. I am further baffled when I see TIE-fighter matte boxes during the Falcon’s escape from the Death Star and wonder why “tweak this” or “alter that” if you’re still going to leave those 1970s matte boxes for all to see? It’s like trying to force-fit pieces together from two different puzzles that were manufactured 20 years apart.

In short, I just don’t seem to understand Lucas’ rationale on ANYTHING anymore, whether it’s his choices on what to “fix” in the Original Trilogy or his outright refusal to release the original films anamorphically on DVD or Blu-ray...

All of that said, I don’t know if I’ll end up getting the Blu-rays or not. Maybe...
Old 08-24-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I'm not buying anything Star Wars save for the original cuts, properly restored, which we all know are never coming. Money I needn't spend I suppose. Move along.
Old 08-25-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I do hope gets added to these Blu Rays are new commentaries.

They seriously need to get Mark Hamill to record something.
Old 08-25-10, 03:55 AM
M&J

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
One thing I do hope gets added to these Blu Rays are new commentaries.

They seriously need to get Mark Hamill to record something.
Totally agree!!
Old 08-25-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw this on HTF:

Old 08-26-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Enjoyed that!
Old 08-26-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Saw this on HTF:

Old 08-26-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Old 08-26-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^
Old 08-26-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
I never bothered listening to the commentaries that came with the dvd, thinking they were crap. Is that what you're suggesting? Or you just want a fresh set of commentaries?
I thought they were pretty good. A lot of neat background info, like in ANH Princess Leia is 19 years old and has a PhD in Poli-Sci. Some interesting stuff like that.
Old 08-27-10, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
I never bothered listening to the commentaries that came with the dvd, thinking they were crap. Is that what you're suggesting? Or you just want a fresh set of commentaries?
Fresh set as well as the previously done versions.

Fisher shouldn't be the only actor doing commenting on the work.
Old 08-27-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Fresh set as well as the previously done versions.

Fisher shouldn't be the only actor doing commenting on the work.
I want a commentary track from Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew where all three get to unload about how miserable they were. Might actually make the Tatooine scenes in A New Hope entertaining.
Old 09-07-10, 03:55 PM
Cool New Member

That's what I was thinking, having all the actors come in to do commentary could result in some bad memories coming to the surface, some venting, complaining about George... who knows. We'd enjoy it, but they might not.
Old 09-07-10, 06:12 PM

Harrison Ford doing commentary : "What the fuck, Greedo didn't shoot first. Who the hell changed this shit?"
Old 09-07-10, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think Lucas would allow bad comments about him on his films. Considering that he controls them. What I was amazed about allowing bad comments about any films were the Wachowskis getting critics that didn't like The Matrix and the other films to do commentaries. That surprised me. I heavily doubt Lucas would allow any badmouthing of him on any commentary produced by him.
Old 09-07-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Harrison Ford doing commentary : "What the fuck, Greedo didn't shoot first. Who the hell changed this shit?"
It would be nice to hear FOrd talk about how he begged Lucas to give him a death scene in ROTJ.
Old 09-07-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It's funny how I used to get so angry every time Lucas announced a new release of Star Wars that didn't include the OT. These were movies that profoundly influenced me as a kid and were responsible for me loving and appreciating so many other movies and soundtracks as well.

But now, I don't purchase Star Wars stuff anymore - not due to some kind of protest or boycott. It's just that over time, I've lost all passion over these movies with all the moronic take-you-out-of-the-moment changes and the travesty Lucas has become in regards to preserving film history. Just imagine - in a few more years we will have lived in a world where the special editions have been recognized as the "official" versions longer than the originals!

It seems really ironic to me that George Lucas could be responsible for making me stop caring about Star Wars!
Old 09-07-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
It's funny how I used to get so angry every time Lucas announced a new release of Star Wars that didn't include the OT. These were movies that profoundly influenced me as a kid and were responsible for me loving and appreciating so many other movies and soundtracks as well.

But now, I don't purchase Star Wars stuff anymore - not due to some kind of protest or boycott. It's just that over time, I've lost all passion over these movies with all the moronic take-you-out-of-the-moment changes and the travesty Lucas has become in regards to preserving film history. Just imagine - in a few more years we will have lived in a world where the special editions have been recognized as the "official" versions longer than the originals!

It seems really ironic to me that George Lucas could be responsible for making me stop caring about Star Wars!

Agreed and Ditto.
Old 09-08-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see where you're coming from, but I still buy stuff like the new Clone Wars series, cause it's not just dipping into the old stuff over and over. I've bought one version of the movies (the silver box of 4-6 and the individual release of 1-3) and I've bought all the Clone Wars stuff. I passed on the original OT versions since they weren't 16x9. So I'm doing what's known as a "buycott". I buy what's good, I simply ignore what's not. I sent one letter when we first learned about them using the old transfers for the OT, but now I just simply let it pass over me with each subsequent release.

Like you said, Lucas is making us lose the passion.
Old 09-08-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I can see where you're coming from, but I still buy stuff like the new Clone Wars series, cause it's not just dipping into the old stuff over and over.
Are you buying it because you enjoy it, or simply because it's new Star Wars material?
Old 09-08-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Are you buying it because you enjoy it, or simply because it's new Star Wars material?
I enjoy it, and I want to send a message to Lucas that new material that is properly presented will get my money (as opposed to just watching it on TV, or downloading it, whether illegally or through iTunes).
Old 09-08-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I enjoy it, and I want to send a message to Lucas that new material that is properly presented will get my money (as opposed to just watching it on TV, or downloading it, whether illegally or through iTunes).
I'm pretty sure that if you download it through iTunes, Lucas gets your money.
Old 09-10-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

I think his point is that iTunes purchase is not a "proper presentation." i.e. a good Blu-ray package is the preferred format for the highest quality.
Old 09-11-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I think his point is that iTunes purchase is not a "proper presentation." i.e. a good Blu-ray package is the preferred format for the highest quality.
Basically that, though I started buying Clone Wars on DVD before I had a BR player. I've been debating selling the DVDs and doing Blu going forward though...
Old 09-11-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a far enough future, there will be only 3 official Star Wars movies even if they might not be the original versions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.