Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Nov 17

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek: Nov 17

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Nov 17

Most likely because that's how it was released theatrically...
Old 11-17-09, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by theguyoverthere
Most likely because that's how it was released theatrically...
I realize that but the question still remains, WHY?
Old 11-17-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd guess to either mask some problems with Spock Prime's makeup, or to make him look better than he really does (soft-focus is an old Hollywood trick to make a person look better).

Then again, it could be a subtle Star Trek-ish clue, since Spock Prime is outside of his normal time-space continuum. Some kind of minor quantum effect, perhaps. (Yes, I'm a geek).
Old 11-17-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Anyone else having problems with their disc freezing and skipping?

There's no scratches or anything on my disc, but it's behaving like there is.
Old 11-17-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Because the website is run separately and doesn't want to lose online sales to its online competitors....the website is trying to compete online with amazon.com and walmart.com in these current pricing wars....it doesn't care at all about what goes on at the b&m stores....
I see... I didn't realize it was completely separate.
Old 11-17-09, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'd guess to either mask some problems with Spock Prime's makeup, or to make him look better than he really does (soft-focus is an old Hollywood trick to make a person look better).

Then again, it could be a subtle Star Trek-ish clue, since Spock Prime is outside of his normal time-space continuum. Some kind of minor quantum effect, perhaps. (Yes, I'm a geek).
Could also be because anamorphic lenses have a tendency to run soft.
Old 11-17-09, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Could also be because anamorphic lenses have a tendency to run soft.
...nahhhh
Old 11-18-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I got the Target exclusive yesterday and have no real problem with the packaging.

I have to say that in terms of picture quality, this is probably the best Blu-Ray I have ever seen. I am noticing details I didn't even see in the IMAX version (like the animated menu at the cafe where Uhura and Kirk meet). I haven't had a chance to pick through the deleted scenes yet, but I do know what they have and it raises a question:
Spoiler:
Did the deleted Nero/Klingon sublpot make it into the novelization of the movie? I notice that sometimes books of movies keep elements that get deleted from the final product.
Old 11-18-09, 10:55 AM

But other times he's in perfect focus and it happens when Kirk and Pike are talking in the bar. It's just strange, that's all. Especially if what Brian O says is true and it's intentional.

Last edited by Indy Jones Fan; 11-18-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I got the Target exclusive yesterday and have no real problem with the packaging.
Where do the other 2 discs go?
Old 11-18-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two main discs both fit in the saucer (one in the top half, one in the bottom). The other disc, which is the digital copy, is just in its own little paper sleeve. Seeing as how it's intended to be taken away and used with a PC or laptop, it makes sense that it's not part of the ship.
Old 11-18-09, 12:16 PM

The two main discs both fit in the saucer (one in the top half, one in the bottom). The other disc, which is the digital copy, is just in its own little paper sleeve. Seeing as how it's intended to be taken away and used with a PC or laptop, it makes sense that it's not part of the ship.
I see, thanks. Pass.
Old 11-18-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Anyone else having problems with their disc freezing and skipping?

There's no scratches or anything on my disc, but it's behaving like there is.
No problems here.

Bought at Fry's.

Watch the movie twice, once straight through and then once with commentary.

Watched the Extras all the way through, with no problems also.

***Very impressed with the details they went through to make the movie "to go farther than man has gone before".
Old 11-18-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Upon further inspection, it seems that there are some scratches on my disc - they're on the places on the disc that correspond to where it freezes and skips in the movie. The weird thing is that the scratches are underneath the protective coating that's applied to blu-ray discs - so it happened during the manufacturing process. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?
Old 11-18-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what part of the film? I noticed the same problem with the kelvin attack at the start of the film but no where else in the movie it skips and freezes for 1/10 of a second intervals for a good 3 mins or so, a few very scratches on the disc so disapointing, looks like i will be exchanging this at bestbuy latter today or tomorrow.
Upon further inspection, it seems that there are some scratches on my disc - they're on the places on the disc that correspond to where it freezes and skips in the movie. The weird thing is that the scratches are underneath the protective coating that's applied to blu-ray discs - so it happened during the manufacturing process. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?
Old 11-18-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't take it anymore, going to buy the regular release right now!
Old 11-18-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
what part of the film? I noticed the same problem with the kelvin attack at the start of the film but no where else in the movie it skips and freezes for 1/10 of a second intervals for a good 3 mins or so, a few very scratches on the disc so disapointing, looks like i will be exchanging this at bestbuy latter today or tomorrow.
Yeah, same exact spot - for me it froze right before the attack, and then skipped about 30 seconds ahead, and then the same thing happens again about 15 minutes later. I didn't bother checking later on in the film - doesn't seem like an isolated incident then. I did exchange it - I'll know if it's good later tonight.
Old 11-18-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz...star-trek.html

R-2-D2 in Trek.
Old 11-18-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Just a couple days late.
Old 11-18-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well technically you could even say just a couple months late as this was known by star trek fans back when the movie opened in May lol
Old 11-18-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well technically you could even say just a couple months late as this was known by star trek fans back when the movie opened in May lol
Right. Known but as the article says, not a lot of people couldnt find out...Where R2 was.
Old 11-18-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Iam likeing the ship simulator, very cool to learn that alot of the Nerada utalized alot of Borg technology to retrofit it into a fierce warship. little things like that are much appreciated by fans cause we can really look at this as not being a remake in many ways this movie is a sequal to all the movies that came before it. the writers and J.J. could have just said screw it we dont need to worry about this stuff and just pretend the 40 plus years of stories never happened.

to me STAR TREK (2009) is a Sequel.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 11-18-09 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-18-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iam likeing the ship simulator, very cool to learn that alot of the Nerada utalized alot of Borg technology to retrofit it into a fierce warship. little things like that are much appreciated by fans cause we can really look at this as not being a remake in many ways this movie is a sequal to all the movies that came before it. the writers and J.J. could have just said screw it we dont need to worry about this stuff and just pretend the 40 plus years of stories never happened.

to me STAR TREK (2009) is a Sequal.
what's a sequal?
Old 11-18-09, 08:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How did Romulans get ahold of Borg technology? The Borg barely even tolerate the Federation.

Also, I think the Nerada is the worst-designed ship in the history of Trek. What possible reason would there be to design a ship like that?
Old 11-18-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
How did Romulans get ahold of Borg technology? The Borg barely even tolerate the Federation.

Also, I think the Nerada is the worst-designed ship in the history of Trek. What possible reason would there be to design a ship like that?
'cause it looks cool.

BTW, I was just reminded why this movie should never be given perfect marks; it has Tyler fucking Perry in it. No movie with that asshat deserves a perfect score, regardless of how small his role might be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.