Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Nov 17

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek: Nov 17

Old 11-16-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Nov 17

That Target exclusive is looking better and better...
Old 11-16-09, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like that's what I'll be getting, if my local target has it in stock
Old 11-16-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So outta curiousity, does anyone know if FYE's gonna go for a midnight opening?

I kinda wanna get the steelbook as soon as possible.
Old 11-16-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Agreed....I may have to buy a second copy just to get it....I'm already getting the regular case version tonight....I'm a big fan of collecting Trek ship replicas of all shapes and sizes....
Old 11-16-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I never like how releases have the sheet of paper for the barcode and package contents on the back. I always want to try and keep it and they never fit right. I guess I can fold it up and put it in the Blu-ray case...
Old 11-16-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we could figure out if there's a keepcase that DOES accompany this Target set, I'll buy for sure. If not, I STILL have to think about it... hrmmm...
Old 11-16-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where do the other 2 discs go though?
Old 11-16-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

now iam torn, i usually dont go for the special packaging like the masks and the batpod or the archie ship but if this does indeed include a regular bluray case i would love to have that enterprise on display. I might have to stop by target in the morning. Iam still going to hit best buy tonight though i think.
Old 11-16-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
If we could figure out if there's a keepcase that DOES accompany this Target set, I'll buy for sure. If not, I STILL have to think about it... hrmmm...
That's kind of where I'm sitting right now. Looked online and shows for $24.99 but ad said $29.99 unless I missed something. $24.99 instore and a keepcase would be tempting...............
Old 11-16-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone picked this up at bestbuy yet back on the east coast just curious as to how the lines have been?
Old 11-16-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

looks like bestbuy.com now has a lower price than the instore door buster price.
Old 11-17-09, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
looks like bestbuy.com now has a lower price than the instore door buster price.
the same thing happened with Up. Best Buy needs to just advertise that price. Save me the trouble of having to price match everything.
Old 11-17-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
the same thing happened with Up. Best Buy needs to just advertise that price. Save me the trouble of having to price match everything.
(Disclaimer: this is in no way a defense of Best Buy, I am actually not a fan of their stores...)

Why would they though? Most customers are not savvy enough to take note of the cheaper price on their website and have it price matched....sure, it's in their policy to do so, but they want to make you work for it...they are banking on the fact that the general public will not be aware of the lower website price, so the majority of their sales will be at the higher in-store price...
Other factors to consider are that their physical ads are put together and printed up weeks in advance, so they cannot always stay as competitive with the current trend of price wars....also, the main reason the website price is lowered is in response to these online price wars, which have not yet spilled out as far into the brick & mortar arena as I wish they would....sure, "bestbuy.com" is trying to compete with amazon.com and walmart.com, but "Best Buy" the actual stores do not compete with the .coms and instead are competing with Target and Walmart physical stores....
Old 11-17-09, 01:42 AM

^ true, good point. But if that is the case, why even list it on their site at $19.99? I feel like that would cause more headache in the long run for them. Ah well.

I've got news for them though... they didn't count on NiCK Crush being the most relentless DVD/Blu-ray price matcher in the game! mwuuahaha
Old 11-17-09, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the cashier huffed and puffed when i very politely mentioned adjusting to match the online price for star trek, but finally after calling the manager and once again claim that "I WAS BUGIN" about the price the girl adjusted it.

she really flipped out though when i asked her to match UP a few seconds latter (my boss asked me to pick her up a copy before the coupon expired, after i told her about it being able to get 10.00 off)Bestbuys price for up being back up to 34.99 she didnt want to match the walmart price that is still 19.96, trying the old thats to big a discount bs,(even though as i point out many times to various bb employees ,when a price is a big adjustment.

Nothing in their policy says they will only match to a certain dollar amount.) then when i presented the coupon she continued to be beligerent, and i had to explain yes they do take the coupon and match the price of a competitor and again there is nothing in your price matching policy that says you dont accept manufactures coupons when you price match, then proceed to tell her that with snow white when they didnt want to do that, i called best buy corperate right there in the guest services line and they said yes, that the store was to take both.

if they really want to whine and complain when you ask them to do something that they advertise as their policy then perhaps they need to change their policy but until the employees need to learn some manners and a better public relations skills.
Old 11-17-09, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ACTUALLY DO AGREE WITH YOU, with what you say. But the main problem is how put out and nasty they tend to act when a coustmer asks them to do a simple price match.
Originally Posted by WMAangel
(Disclaimer: this is in no way a defense of Best Buy, I am actually not a fan of their stores...)

Why would they though? Most customers are not savvy enough to take note of the cheaper price on their website and have it price matched....sure, it's in their policy to do so, but they want to make you work for it...they are banking on the fact that the general public will not be aware of the lower website price, so the majority of their sales will be at the higher in-store price...
Other factors to consider are that their physical ads are put together and printed up weeks in advance, so they cannot always stay as competitive with the current trend of price wars....also, the main reason the website price is lowered is in response to these online price wars, which have not yet spilled out as far into the brick & mortar arena as I wish they would....sure, "bestbuy.com" is trying to compete with amazon.com and walmart.com, but "Best Buy" the actual stores do not compete with the .coms and instead are competing with Target and Walmart physical stores....
Old 11-17-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I usually go to Best Buy ready to be ingratiating to customer service just to make it easier. I realize I don't have to do this and they are actually nice 9/10 times, but there's been a few times when they seemed pretty annoyed.

Today I was just going to grab Star Trek at Wal-Mart if all the slipcovers aren't damaged there so I don't have to worry about it. Last week I PM'd UP to the Best Buy Web site and used the coupon. They didn't understand how to use it so they "just took ten bucks off and [the manager] can figure it out later."
Old 11-17-09, 08:12 AM

I ACTUALLY DO AGREE WITH YOU, with what you say. But the main problem is how put out and nasty they tend to act when a coustmer asks them to do a simple price match.
Luckily, I haven't had any terrible experiences with price matching at my Best Buy. Although, I know they all recognize me because I'm constantly doing it

They, for the most part, are friendly at my local store though.
Old 11-17-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your results my vary, of course, but, I picked up the Target 3-Disc Blu-Ray Exclusive Enterprise Case version, and it rang up at $24.99! AWESOME. There is not a regular Blu-Ray case to keep the discs in. When you open it up, 2 of the discs are in the saucer section (one disc on the top, one disc on the bottom), and the digital copy is in a paper sleeve. It's a great looking case, when put together!
Old 11-17-09, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Your results my vary, of course, but, I picked up the Target 3-Disc Blu-Ray Exclusive Enterprise Case version, and it rang up at $24.99! AWESOME. There is not a regular Blu-Ray case to keep the discs in. When you open it up, 2 of the discs are in the saucer section (one disc on the top, one disc on the bottom), and the digital copy is in a paper sleeve. It's a great looking case, when put together!
Same here. Though I haven't put it together yet.
Old 11-17-09, 09:29 AM

Yep... For those wondering the Enterprise case in Canada at Best Buy is the same. Darn.
Old 11-17-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ true, good point. But if that is the case, why even list it on their site at $19.99? I feel like that would cause more headache in the long run for them. Ah well.
Because the website is run separately and doesn't want to lose online sales to its online competitors....the website is trying to compete online with amazon.com and walmart.com in these current pricing wars....it doesn't care at all about what goes on at the b&m stores....
Old 11-17-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ACTUALLY DO AGREE WITH YOU, with what you say.
There is a first time for everything!

But the main problem is how put out and nasty they tend to act when a coustmer asks them to do a simple price match.
You must just have the least friendly, most cantankerous Best Buy staff at the store you frequent then....while I have had my share of issues and disagreements over certain things there in the past, I have never had any problems having them do any price matches...whether it has been a competitors print ad or their own website, it's always been the one thing that has been smooth sailing...
Old 11-17-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks. Was thinking about picking this up but no case might be a kicker. Let me think......but $24.99 is a nice price.
Old 11-17-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

After seeing it, I passed on the Target exclusive - it looked sorta cheap in person and at best it would just be a dust magnet, or at worst, a vagina repellent.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.